PDA

View Full Version : If Arians goes, we'll hire within organization

Bayz101
01-19-2012, 02:30 PM
And the man who'll take over at OC will be none other than QB coach, Randy Fichtner. Now, Kirby Wilson was supposed to take over, as i'm sure you all know. But Kirby's in a battle of his own right now, and he'll likely be taking the year off from football this year, and concentrating on his own recovery.

Now Randy Fichtner isn't a bad coach, by any means, and here's why:

Fichtner began his coaching career as a graduate assistant, serving with Michigan, USC, UNLV, and Memphis from 1986–1987, 1988, 1989, and 1990–1993 respectively. He earned the position of wide receivers coach and recruiting director at Purdue in 1994, serving for two years before moving to Arkansas State to become the offensive coordinator from 1997–2001.

Under Fichtner's tutelage, current CFL quarterback Cleo Lemon flourished, setting numerous school records for passing and total offense. Fichtner returned to Memphis in 2001 to serve as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, instituting a new, highly effective spread offense that set school records for total offense.

The new system allowed the teams to amass prolific offensive statistics, totalling over 5000 yards in both 2003 and 2004 to rank in the top ten for both yardage and scoring, as well as supporting the development of quarterback Danny Wimprine and running back DeAngelo Williams.

Fichtner's NFL coaching debut began in 2007, serving as wide receivers coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers as part of new head coach Mike Tomlin's regime, replacing the promoted Bruce Arians. He was instrumental in the development of the Steelers young wide receiver corps, mentoring Santonio Holmes to multiple 1000-yard seasons and a Super Bowl MVP award as well as supporting the growth of emerging wideouts Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders, and Antonio Brown.

In 2010, Fichtner became the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterbacks coach, replacing Ken Anderson after Anderson's retirement.

That's where he's at now. He seems like a good man for the job to me, and he almost took the Memphis Tigers head coach job just a couple years back. I doubt we'll hire outside of the organization, so it'll likely be Randy that will replace Arians if he leaves.

tanda10506
01-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Not excited about Fichtner, but if Arians goes, I'll be happy either way. Hell, I'd be happy if Arians got canned and somebody replaced him that was just as bad, because at least then we would know that Tomlin actually knew the offense was bad, as opposed to now where he must think it's good enough. That said, I don't want anybody like Arians AT ALL, let's hope for the best.

stb_steeler
01-19-2012, 02:51 PM
I'll wait for the official report:coffee:

Bayz101
01-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Randy helped develop Brown, Sanders, Holmes, Deangelo Williams and Cleo Lemon. Not a bad history.

Bayz101
01-19-2012, 02:53 PM
I'll wait for the official report:coffee:

Yeah, that's always the safe bet. Arians could get a 6-year extension :banging:

stb_steeler
01-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Yeah, that's always the safe bet. Arians could get a 6-year extension :banging:

OH man could u imagine if that became true?????
I dont want to be any where near on this board then......:toofunny:

Bayz101
01-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Mark Whipple
Randy Fichtner
Todd Haley
Kirby Wilson ( If recovery is short )

That's my predictions for coordinator if Arians is let go.

MACH1
01-19-2012, 03:48 PM
As long as we don't end up with an arians jr.

And get rid of that damned bubble screen.

Fire Arians
01-19-2012, 03:52 PM
as long as it's someone with a different philosophy.

kirby williams is a rb coach and will know the importance of a running game and fullback

hell, i'd even say sean kugler would do a better job. he at least would be aware of what our offensive line is and isn't capable of.

but i hope it's someone outside of the organization, because we need an OC who won't play grab-ass with ben. we need someone who will be his coach, not his best friend.

tony hipchest
01-19-2012, 04:05 PM
i want someone with experience. preferably head coaching experience. norv turner woulda been PERFECT.

teh problem is most people are afraid of someone who has experience but has failed. i give alot of credence to those who can learn from their failures and mistakes (something arians cant or wont do).

this worked for bill belichick (and make no mistake, he is the pats OC along with brady).

marty morinhweg baonced back after his failedHC job.

i beleive the cowboys just hired bill callahan (former OAK HC???).

mike tice is getting looks, and jeff fisher is looking at bringing in hue jackson as his OC.

most fans probably wouldnt even thing about giving brad childress a shot. if brian billick werent interrested in a HC job or doing so well with television, i think he could do just fine.

mike tomlin has proven he can learn new tricks from the elder and more experienced (who was a failure in his own regard) dick lebeau.

:hunch:

Bayz101
01-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Gerry Dulac says now that he doesn't think the QB coach will be promoted, and he's the one who reported that Arians may not return :hunch:

http://twitter.com/gerrydulac

TRH
01-19-2012, 04:26 PM
we could be trolling through other peoples organizations. Will definitely be interesting.

DanRooney
01-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Tomlin has no idea what he's doing if this is true.

steelfury02
01-19-2012, 04:31 PM
We should grab Cam Cameron!
:couch:

Bayz101
01-19-2012, 04:49 PM
We should grab Cam Cameron!
:couch:

:rofl:

SteelerEmpire
01-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Hopefully the team will get a definitive answer on the OC issue sooner than later so the offense will have ample time to learn the new ropes.

FOOTEupyourarse
01-19-2012, 07:08 PM
i am no way a fan of arians but a new OC bringing in a NEW OFFENSE that they have to learn could be hard for everyone! Im definatley leaning to promoting within and keeping the current system in place BUT getting rid of the bubble screen and other inaffective plays!!!!!!!!!!

Atlanta Dan
01-19-2012, 07:23 PM
Tomlin has no idea what he's doing if this is true.

Tomlin did not want to dump Arians - of course he has no plan

OTOH look how quickly New Orleans hired Spagnuolo - Sean Payton saw a need to change and was prepared after a disappointing playoff run

Sixburgher
01-19-2012, 07:54 PM

OTOH look how quickly New Orleans hired Spagnuolo - Sean Payton saw a need to change and was prepared after a disappointing playoff run

Maybe that's because Gregg Williams actually left New Orleans to join Jeff Fisher's staff in St. Louis and it's actually been confirmed as more than just media speculation?

tony hipchest
01-19-2012, 07:56 PM

OTOH look how quickly New Orleans hired Spagnuolo - Sean Payton saw a need to change and was prepared after a disappointing playoff runexcellent hire and great landing spot for spags.

tomlin needs to hire someone with HC experience (even if it was a fail). someone with higher level of experience than the temple owls.

I think the reason arians supporters are so hell bent on keeping him, is they are so afraid ben will be exposed as a dumbass when it takes him 5 years to finally learn a new offense, and all their steeler hating friends will yell "HAHA... I was right! Ben is dumb as a box of rocks!"

i tend to give ben a bit more credit, but he needs to be willing to let go of the purse strings as well.

BKAnthem
01-19-2012, 10:25 PM
i want someone with experience. preferably head coaching experience. norv turner woulda been PERFECT.

teh problem is most people are afraid of someone who has experience but has failed. i give alot of credence to those who can learn from their failures and mistakes (something arians cant or wont do).

this worked for bill belichick (and make no mistake, he is the pats OC along with brady).

marty morinhweg baonced back after his failedHC job.

i beleive the cowboys just hired bill callahan (former OAK HC???).

mike tice is getting looks, and jeff fisher is looking at bringing in hue jackson as his OC.

most fans probably wouldnt even thing about giving brad childress a shot. if brian billick werent interrested in a HC job or doing so well with television, i think he could do just fine.

mike tomlin has proven he can learn new tricks from the elder and more experienced (who was a failure in his own regard) dick lebeau.

:hunch:

THIS :thumbsup:

60_MINUTES
01-19-2012, 10:36 PM
I would give anything to have NORV T.. hell couple buds and myself have been calling for it to happen for 8weeks now.. I really thought we could see it unfolding right before our eyes.. then out of no where the Chargers brought him back... shit.................................... oh well it would have been great.. also when norv does lose his job as HC you can bet your ass at his age the next OC job he takes he will be DICK L jr... meaning he will keep it until he retires, he wont get another shot at HC.. so how great would that have been to have Norv for about 7 to 10 years... oh well time to stop crying about it I guess cause it aint gonna freaking happen