PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cowhers Offensive Coordinators

tony hipchest
01-19-2012, 05:45 PM
coach cowher placed chan gailey, mike mularkey, and ken wisenhunt into HC jobs. all three are currently head coaches to this day (despite chan and mularkey pulling a bill belichick fail on their 1st stop).

even russ grimm has had numerous HC interviews and is still an assistant HC coach in AZ.

kevin gilbride is still having a long and successful carreer as OC w/ NYG.

the point is cowher, a young DEFENSIVE minded coach was always sure to surround himself with more than capable offensive minded coaches.

if you look at some of the higher scoring teams in the league it is the HC who is calling the offensive plays- garrett, payton, mccarthy (and even belichick/brady) etc.

mike tomlin is not capable of being offensive coordinator at this point in his young career. it really hasnt been done since tom landry.

the lack of interest of arian on the open market clearly shows that the rest of the league regards him as incapable.

you think the rooneys arent in tune with their own past history and what the rest of the 31 franchises already know?

Atlanta Dan
01-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Cowher was a terror to work for but the payoff was you usually got a better coaching job after working for him - of his D-coordinators Capers, LeBeau, and Haslett (+ linebackers coach Marvin Lewis) all later became HCs.

Cowher's only D-coordinator who did not get a HC position was Tim Lewis - as was the case with the O-coordinators who did not advance to HC (Erhardt, Sherman, Gilbride) Cowher fired his a**:chuckle:

No way Arians would have survived after 2009 with Cowher as his boss - AJR II may be stepping in because Tomlin will not act when Cowher would have

60_MINUTES
01-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Cowher was a terror to work for but the payoff was you usually got a better coaching job after working for him - of his D-coordinators Capers, LeBeau, and Haslett (+ linebackers coach Marvin Lewis) all later became HCs.

Cowher's only D-coordinator who did not get a HC position was Tim Lewis - as was the case with the O-coordinators who did not advance to HC (Erhardt, Sherman, Gilbride) Cowher fired his a**:chuckle:

No way Arians would have survived after 2009 with Cowher as his boss - AJR II may be stepping in because Tomlin will not act when Cowher would have

This is exactly the way I see it to... everyone is always reporting how close BEN and Mike are.. even today Bens agent talked bout how close they are.. Maybe Mike feels like he will lose that with ben if he fires his boy.. either way its a sign of no balls.. Mike needs to take charge more and quit being the guys bud.. It wont work for him as things get bad.. that shit only works when everyone is winning and everyone is young

Sixburgher
01-19-2012, 11:50 PM

Or maybe not.

Bob Pompeani: "Do you want Bruce Arians back as an offensive coordinator?”

Art Rooney II: “Well, that’s really Mike’s decision, I mean, and that’s the process Mike’s involved in right now is talking to all of the coaches about where they are and where they are with their contracts, so I think that’s something – I’ll leave it to those guys to kind of work out where we’re going on that front.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/01/19/steelers-president-art-rooney-ii-talks-bruce-arians-in-exclusive-interview/

tony hipchest
01-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Art Rooney II: “Well, that’s really Mike’s decision, I mean, and that’s the process Mike’s involved in right now is talking to all of the coaches about where they are and where they are with their contracts]

translation-

Art Rooney II: Hey Mike, Youre the boss and you have been given all rights over your coaching staff. Please remind Bruce that he is at the end of the line in Pittsburgh where everybody wants him gone, and that he currently has NO contract.

Thanks Mike. Im sure you'll do the right thing and agreat job as always."

60_MINUTES
01-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Or maybe not.

Bob Pompeani: "Do you want Bruce Arians back as an offensive coordinator?”

Art Rooney II: “Well, that’s really Mike’s decision, I mean, and that’s the process Mike’s involved in right now is talking to all of the coaches about where they are and where they are with their contracts, so I think that’s something – I’ll leave it to those guys to kind of work out where we’re going on that front.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/01/19/steelers-president-art-rooney-ii-talks-bruce-arians-in-exclusive-interview/

actually all thats going on with this statement is Art making sure the public doesnt think he is stepping in on his HC toes like Jerry jones and company do... Its giving Tomlin respect which I would expect nothing else from the rooneys.. however make no mistake about it Tomlin knows what Rooney wants and Art said what he said for a reason.. Art is a very good speaker and Im sure he worded his orginal quote just the way he intended... I still say BA is gone... after the Pro bowl so he can enjoy his time with BEN and his family... the next week BA is gone.. maybe the monday after the superbowl at the latest

ricardisimo
01-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Mark Kaloby at the Trib quoted Rooney as saying (in response to a question about successors to Arians);
"That really would be Mike's call. I don't know if he has gotten to the point yet where he wants to talk about candidates"
That seems really, really loaded (and promising for many of us here.) :thumbsup:

MasterOfPuppets
01-20-2012, 01:34 AM
Mark Kaloby at the Trib quoted Rooney as saying (in response to a question about successors to Arians);

That seems really, really loaded (and promising for many of us here.) :thumbsup:
http://images.free-extras.com/pics/p/party-930.gif

DanRooney
01-20-2012, 03:08 AM
Is Art our head coach or Tomlin? Tomlin should be the guy who's barking orders at his OC to call for more running plays or calling out Arians in saying that the offense needs to be better.

ricardisimo
01-20-2012, 03:59 AM
Is Art our head coach or Tomlin? Tomlin should be the guy who's barking orders at his OC to call for more running plays or calling out Arians in saying that the offense needs to be better.
That's one definition of a head coach. There are others, with different pluses and different minuses. I'd like for Tomlin to be more hands-on, but I think that his people probably appreciate the freedom of movement on his staff. :noidea:

Kanata-Steeler
01-21-2012, 07:37 AM
coach cowher placed chan gailey, mike mularkey, and ken wisenhunt into HC jobs. all three are currently head coaches to this day (despite chan and mularkey pulling a bill belichick fail on their 1st stop).

even russ grimm has had numerous HC interviews and is still an assistant HC coach in AZ.

kevin gilbride is still having a long and successful carreer as OC w/ NYG.

the point is cowher, a young DEFENSIVE minded coach was always sure to surround himself with more than capable offensive minded coaches.

if you look at some of the higher scoring teams in the league it is the HC who is calling the offensive plays- garrett, payton, mccarthy (and even belichick/brady) etc.

mike tomlin is not capable of being offensive coordinator at this point in his young career. it really hasnt been done since tom landry.

the lack of interest of arian on the open market clearly shows that the rest of the league regards him as incapable.

you think the rooneys arent in tune with their own past history and what the rest of the 31 franchises already know?

Well that sums up my thoughts exactly.
"...Defense's win championships...", blah, blah.., and they can even carry an Offense(as our Steelers' have proven).
BUT, you need Offense's to win SB's. It's that simple.

mesaSteeler
01-22-2012, 10:37 AM

- Absolutely correct. This is the more proof, not that any is necessary, that the Airhead was a complete waste of space. Airhead would be lucky to land a gig coaching in a Pop Warner league.

- Also correct and it's why in addition to his poor in game performances; lack of adjustment, poor clock management, etc. that I have serious reservations about Tomlin who seems to just be along for the ride.

zcoop
01-22-2012, 11:01 AM
- Absolutely correct. This is the more proof, not that any is necessary, that the Airhead was a complete waste of space. Airhead would be lucky to land a gig coaching in a Pop Warner league.

- Also correct and it's why in addition to his poor in game performances; lack of adjustment, poor clock management, etc. that I have serious reservations about Tomlin who seems to just be along for the ride.

Along for the ride, you say? Just look at his record, we went 12-4 this past year. That is hardly going along for the ride. Mike has a stellar record since he became the HC but there are some of the Steeler faithful who will not support him regardless of what he does. And you sound like one of those people.

What's your beef with a man that has our program winning as did our previous coaches?

madtowndrunkard
01-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Credit to Mike Tomlin for keeping the system in place that won a lot of games under Bill Cowher. When Tomlin came in he inherited a staff capable of winning SB's...but most importantly he inherited talent that most teams dont have.

I think it's pretty much accepted that Tomlin is a delegator. (is that a word?) He's let his OC's pretty much run the show. No one thinks Tomlin has this team on his shoulders. Very different from how Bill Cowher was perceived....there was no question who was the boss under BC.

This is the reason Tomlin doesn't get the respect any other coach would get with his win/loss record. I thought this season was actually a huge opportunity for MT to change that perception. I think he really missed badly on that opportunity. If anything I think this season confirmed most peoples opinion of MT as a HC.

People say that Arians would have been fired by BC a few years ago. I don't actually believe that... I think Bill Cowher would have told Arians how to run his offense.... BC would not allow the offensive game plans we saw under Arians. BC frequently over rode the play calling during games..if he didnt like what he was seeing he would call the play. I don't think Tomlin ever did that...and this year he should have.

Kanata-Steeler
01-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Credit to Mike Tomlin for keeping the system in place that won a lot of games under Bill Cowher. When Tomlin came in he inherited a staff capable of winning SB's...but most importantly he inherited talent that most teams dont have.

I think it's pretty much accepted that Tomlin is a delegator. (is that a word?) He's let his OC's pretty much run the show. No one thinks Tomlin has this team on his shoulders. Very different from how Bill Cowher was perceived....there was no question who was the boss under BC.

This is the reason Tomlin doesn't get the respect any other coach would get with his win/loss record. I thought this season was actually a huge opportunity for MT to change that perception. I think he really missed badly on that opportunity. If anything I think this season confirmed most peoples opinion of MT as a HC.

People say that Arians would have been fired by BC a few years ago. I don't actually believe that... I think Bill Cowher would have told Arians how to run his offense.... BC would not allow the offensive game plans we saw under Arians. BC frequently over rode the play calling during games..if he didnt like what he was seeing he would call the play. I don't think Tomlin ever did that...and this year he should have.

:applaudit:
...Very correct, and TY. for that PP (Proper Post).
and yep, BC may not have fired BA, (right away), but he would have dam-well told him, FIX-IT, or it's the highway bud.
And Rooney just proved, (by "retiring" Arians), that he can just as easily be the "Cowher" against Tomlin,
but ONLY, IF need be.

zcoop
01-22-2012, 12:46 PM

When Mike wins it's the system but when BC won it was coaching? Spare me that bullchit. Both were skippers's of teams that lost a SB game and won one. You say that BC frequently over road the play calling but we didn't get anymore rings from him doing that. Did we?

What's your point? I thought that this game was about Ws and Ls and not style points.

madtowndrunkard
01-22-2012, 03:26 PM
When Mike wins it's the system but when BC won it was coaching? Spare me that bullchit. Both were skippers's of teams that lost a SB game and won one. You say that BC frequently over road the play calling but we didn't get anymore rings from him doing that. Did we?

What's your point? I thought that this game was about Ws and Ls and not style points.

Again I think you fail to understand why MT does not get the credit Bill Cowher does.... and frankly I think it's a fair assessment that MT gets. You should not take that as a slam to MT. He's smart in what he did. If MT stepped in and ripped everything apart and failed...then he'd be a bum. Of course he never would have been hired in the first place if that was his intention...nor would he be allowed to do it. MT did what he should have up until this season...IMO.

Cowher installed HIS system and after proving he could coach he installed HIS people to run HIS system. (OR at least the system HE believed in) MT took over Bill Cowher's assistants, system, and players. Dick Lebeau continues to run the defense. Arians completely ran the offense. With Tomlin keeping that intact we won a Superbowl and lost one... still using Bill Cowhers' people and system. So it makes perfect sense why Bill Cowher gets so much more credit then Tomlin.

Mike Tomlin's system is not the 3-4....the offense is not MT. I thought Tomlin did a nice job so far. I believe that this was the year that MT needed to take a little more charge...at least with the offense - because it was AGAIN failing to live up to expectations. DL's defense was still playing at a high level...but against Denver someone failed miserably in the defensive game plan. I would assume it was DL that failed in that game.... MT should have stepped in and said keep those safeties back. You better believe Bill Cowher would have. I also believe that Cowher would have got a lot more involved in Arians offense this year then what Tomlin did.

I hope MT learns from this and is a better coach for it.

BTW - if Cowher was given Big Ben early in his career he'd have more SB rings then any coach alive.

madtowndrunkard
01-22-2012, 03:30 PM
I think next season with a new OC.... it will be a perfect season for Mike Tomlin to make this team his own. He had an opportunity to do it this year...it didn't work out. Now we are going to have a new offensive system and a bunch of new faces starting. If Tomlin wants the credit and respect that Bill Cowher got, then he needs to improve on last season by doing it differently.

zcoop
01-22-2012, 11:41 PM
Again I think you fail to understand why MT does not get the credit Bill Cowher does.... and frankly I think it's a fair assessment that MT gets. You should not take that as a slam to MT. He's smart in what he did. If MT stepped in and ripped everything apart and failed...then he'd be a bum. Of course he never would have been hired in the first place if that was his intention...nor would he be allowed to do it. MT did what he should have up until this season...IMO.

Cowher installed HIS system and after proving he could coach he installed HIS people to run HIS system. (OR at least the system HE believed in) MT took over Bill Cowher's assistants, system, and players. Dick Lebeau continues to run the defense. Arians completely ran the offense. With Tomlin keeping that intact we won a Superbowl and lost one... still using Bill Cowhers' people and system. So it makes perfect sense why Bill Cowher gets so much more credit then Tomlin.

Mike Tomlin's system is not the 3-4....the offense is not MT. I thought Tomlin did a nice job so far. I believe that this was the year that MT needed to take a little more charge...at least with the offense - because it was AGAIN failing to live up to expectations. DL's defense was still playing at a high level...but against Denver someone failed miserably in the defensive game plan. I would assume it was DL that failed in that game.... MT should have stepped in and said keep those safeties back. You better believe Bill Cowher would have. I also believe that Cowher would have got a lot more involved in Arians offense this year then what Tomlin did.

I hope MT learns from this and is a better coach for it.

BTW - if Cowher was given Big Ben early in his career he'd have more SB rings then any coach alive.

Now you're trying to tell me how to think. BTW if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his azz when he hop. Bottom line, Cowher had many years as HC and only won ONE SB. I admired and appreciated him at the Steeler coach but the facts don't lie.

I understand completely why MT doesn't get the credit he deserves.:coffee: