PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Replace Bruce Arians?

ricardisimo
01-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Just like everyone who has ever bought a Lotto ticket and devoted several hours spending the money in their heads, only to discover the inevitable: they didn't win squat. Just so, we long-suffering fans will decide here whom the Steelers should select to replace our long-serving OC... only to discover within a week's time that he shall be remaining in place after all. Please vote, and then add other options.

Atlanta Dan
01-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Peyton Manning as combo backup QB - O-coordinator; if not Peyton than Joe Flacco after Baltimore loses on Sunday and Flacco's career ends following a post-game beating by Ed Reed

Seriously I would love to get Tom Clements

ricardisimo
01-19-2012, 08:19 PM
I forgot an obvious poll option: Firing Bruce Arians, and then rehiring him again after he swears that he has learned a valuable lesson.

Bayz101
01-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Voted for Clements, as did everyone else it seems o_o

tony hipchest
01-19-2012, 08:27 PM
:sofunny:

it cant be manning... he fell straight from the same arians tree of genius. no way our players would be able to execute their master plan (which is why i assume mike martz and revestreelets wasnt on the list as well).

i think our new OC should have a normal IQ like below 170, something our players can relate with.

ricardisimo
01-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Why is no one voting for me? :huh:

Bayz101
01-19-2012, 08:31 PM

It was a tough decision for me. It actually came down to Clements, You and the Brady-Ugg Boots, and Clements won narrowly.

tony hipchest
01-19-2012, 08:43 PM
why isnt Tickle Me Elmo on the list? atleast that would keep ben happy.

:hunch:

ETL
01-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Mike Martz .... "Best show in Burgh"

ETL
01-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Seriously, before we pick a coordinator - what kind of Offense do you want?

Do you want an offense like the Packers /Patriots/Saints or because we are an outdoor stadium cold weather team do we need an offense like the Giants ?

It seems more and more that offense is what wins in the NFL and defense is what get you flags, fines and suspensions.

BKAnthem
01-19-2012, 11:08 PM
why isnt Tickle Me Elmo on the list? atleast that would keep ben happy.

:hunch:

It was a tough decision for me. It actually came down to Clements, You and the Brady-Ugg Boots, and Clements won narrowly.

:rofl:

tanda10506
01-19-2012, 11:21 PM
I like how Hue Jackson handled the McFadden situation. Some where saying McFadden was going to be a bust before Jackson, but Jackson came in and got him involved in the passing game, which also freed up the attention on the running game which ended up allowing McFadden to run much better too. Mendy is capable of that. IDK if he is the best choice, but it would be a huge step up from Arians.

Rick5895
01-20-2012, 05:23 AM
I know Tomlin was hired over this guy, and he probably wouldn't come back and likely to stay where he's at, but wouldn't it be interesting if Russ Grimm was offered the OC spot should it become vacant. He could oversee our OL, bring back a semblance of a running game and I believe his presence would make us a much better and higher scoring offense.

tunes4life
01-20-2012, 10:26 AM
I vote for Bond........James Bond.

stb_steeler
01-20-2012, 11:06 AM

Do you want an offense like the Packers /Patriots/Saints or because we are an outdoor stadium cold weather team do we need an offense like the Giants ?

It seems more and more that offense is what wins in the NFL and defense is what get you flags, fines and suspensions.

Id go with the Giants...they seem well balanced.....

MACH1
01-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Why isn't this multiple choice? The Patriots* suck, and Tom Brady wears Ugg boots should always be the default choice. :chuckle:

saveus1011
01-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Wildcard pick, but I wouldn't mind Peyton Manning if he's available. Just a brilliant football mind and would probably be good for Ben.

Thinking outside the box sure, but it's something I've mulled.

Kingmagyar
01-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Will Tomlin hire his former head coach from the Vikings, Brad Childress?

Will he hire Hue Jackson?
Jim Caldwell?
Brian Shottenheimer?
Tom Clements?
Randy Fichter?

I like Tom Clements or Hue Jackson.

Whoever it is. GET READY FOR A FULLBACK AGAIN.

plenewken
01-20-2012, 01:20 PM

I want an offense that puts points on the board, that's all.

BossAus
01-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Jim Wexell thinks Caldwell based on Jim's tweets.

truesteelerfan
01-20-2012, 04:43 PM
dennis green?

VictoryFormation
01-20-2012, 06:16 PM
They don't want to say it, but I think Dan Rooney, and Art Rooney II decided that it was time for Arians to go. And, I'd bet that they want a Offensive Coordinator that will take the team back to a more balanced attack. That doesn't mean going back to the power run offense that the Steelers used to use, but utilizing the run more than they have under Arians. Utilizing the run would take a lot of the heat of of Roethlisberger, keeping him from taking so many hits. The run would also allow them to control the clock, when necessary. The run could also help keep the opposing team's offense off the field during the course of a game. The passing game, under Arians, was too vanilla, with all the Bubble Screens. With the talent that the Steelers have on offense, they could greatly improve the passing game with the right system.

mthomas184
01-20-2012, 09:49 PM
I think its gonna be Randy Fichter and with the recent signing of Troy Smith for QB I wouldnt be surprised to see Batch retire and be the QB coach. Just a thought

ricardisimo
01-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Why isn't this multiple choice? The Patriots* suck, and Tom Brady wears Ugg boots should always be the default choice. :chuckle:
And sure enough, The Patriots* suck, and Tom Brady wears Ugg boots is breaking away into the lead. I'm going to be submitting the results of this poll to the Rooneys, so I hope they understand just how important it is to all of us in Steeler Nation that they take immediate action and hire The Patriots* suck, and Tom Brady wears Ugg boots to helm our offense for the foreseeable future.

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/gallery/tom-brady-photoshop/tom-brady-photoshop-11.jpg

:tt04::tt02::tt03::tt:

Bayz101
01-20-2012, 10:40 PM
I think its gonna be Randy Fichter and with the recent signing of Troy Smith for QB I wouldnt be surprised to see Batch retire and be the QB coach. Just a thought

Wow, Tom really does look like a girl in this one :rofl:

EDIT: I was meaning to quote Ricardo on this one, because of the Brady pic.

mthomas184
01-21-2012, 03:32 AM
Wow, Tom really does look like a girl in this one :rofl:

EDIT: I was meaning to quote Ricardo on this one, because of the Brady pic.

Lol it's all good

DanRooney
01-21-2012, 04:21 AM
The Jim Caldwell talk is heating up. He was a terrible head coach but maybe he can pull a Wade Phillips?

pete74
01-21-2012, 05:11 AM
i would love to see Jackson come in and run things his way but i would be happy with Clements to

Kanata-Steeler
01-21-2012, 06:03 AM
a Steelers' Poll, with x = "The Patriots* suck, and Tom Brady wears Ugg boots" ???

ahh comon', that's not fair, you know that Poll will always win !

Kanata-Steeler
01-21-2012, 06:23 AM
well, whoever it is, I just hope it's not too late to "fix" Ben. ?

BengalDestroyer
01-21-2012, 08:57 AM
who the hell voted for kugler? are you kidding me? he needs to go back to buffalo

ricardisimo
01-21-2012, 07:58 PM
The Jim Caldwell talk is heating up. He was a terrible head coach but maybe he can pull a Wade Phillips?
Did you see something written somewhere? I'd like to read it. I see that Hue Jackson has made up some ground here.

Bayz101
01-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Did you see something written somewhere? I'd like to read it. I see that Hue Jackson has made up some ground here.

I second this.

tony hipchest
01-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Did you see something written somewhere? I'd like to read it. I see that Hue Jackson has made up some ground here.its all specu;lation at this point and putting 2 and 2 together since they worked together as assistants in tampa and have remained close ever since.

all reports indicate tom clements wil in fact be replacing joe philbin as the OC in GB.

kinda suprised nobody has mentioned brad childress. i'd take brian billick in a heartbeat.

unfortunate for arians that brian shottenheimer took the OC job with fisher in STL.

for SURE arians was a better option than brian shotty.... right????

:sofunny:

madtowndrunkard
01-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Has anyone come up with a legit list of candidates yet? I don't see clement being an option.

The top 3 candidates should be: Hue Jackson, Jim Caldwell, and Todd Haley. My $ is on Haley. Why? He's got Pittsburgh ties and he understands the importance of running the ball. In 2010 the Chiefs lead the league in rushing.

Brad Childress should also be a candidate... so make that 4 on my list.

ricardisimo
01-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Has anyone come up with a legit list of candidates yet? I don't see clement being an option.

The top 3 candidates should be: Hue Jackson, Jim Caldwell, and Todd Haley. My $ is on Haley. Why? He's got Pittsburgh ties and he understands the importance of running the ball. In 2010 the Chiefs lead the league in rushing.

Brad Childress should also be a candidate... so make that 4 on my list.
Haley's a bit of a lightning rod, which is to say a dick. Even Whisenhunt doesn't want him back.

madtowndrunkard
01-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Haley's a bit of a lightning rod, which is to say a dick. Even Whisenhunt doesn't want him back.

That's just not true. Whiz does want him back... problem is Whiz is not going to fire his current OC just to bring back Haley. Haley would have to take a different position other then OC...which Haley does not want to do unless he has to.... financially and professional Haley doesn't need to make such a move.

Haley clashed with some of his players according to reports. That all came from a couple of his players getting in his face on the sidelines. funny how it's Haley that has the problem and not the players.

I looked to me like Haley held his players accountable. Haley clashed with Matt Cassell. I think I'll take Haley's side on this one. Bill Cowher was fired up on the sidelines as well. We've all seen Cowher get in the face of a player or two over the years. I think this is the fire this team needs.

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Did you see something written somewhere? I'd like to read it.

Jim Wexell tossed out this rumor about Jim Caldwell

@jimwexell James C Wexell
Put Jim Caldwell odds at 1-2 as Steelers' OC. A strong hunch. My guess: It was Tomlin's decision to fire Arians after friend came available.

http://twitter.com/#!/jimwexell/stat...80135723454464

Ed. B. of the P-G calls the Caldwell rumor nonsense

I saw someone write that Mike Tomlin probably fired Bruce Arians after his "friend,'' Jim Caldwell became available upon his firing as head coach by the Colts. Let's make some other stuff up while we're at it. Tomlin didn't fire Arians, he wanted him back but apparently not strongly enough he was willing to go to the mats for him for the second time in the past three seasons. Also, how do we know that Caldwell and Tomlin are "friends?" Because they coached together in Tampa Bay for one season, 2001, and on separate sides of the ball? Caldwell is 57, old enough to be Tomlin's father. Maybe they are friends and maybe Tomlin will hire him as his new offensive coordinator, but that's not why he fired Arians

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114524-ed-dont-assume-tomlin-will-hire-a-name

madtowndrunkard
01-23-2012, 11:33 AM
The only reason Haley's fiery sideline personality was criticized....was because he didn't win as a HC. Bill Cowher was no different but everyone said Bill was a leader.... Haley is a jerk and his sideline antics were tame compared to Bill Cowher and some other coaches. Really I can't think of a better match then Haley...until I hear some other options I think Haley, Childress, and Caldwell should all be at the top of the list for the job.

GMU Steeler
01-23-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm biased in favor of Haley. My dad is good friends with a first cousin of his and take this for what it's worth but Pioli was a real control freak apparently. Hearing this second hand through my Dad who heard it through the friend but it wouldn't shock me if it was true. I'm sure Haley is a jerk but if he wants to come here that would be fine. My first choice is probably Clements given the job he did with Rodgers but I bet GB makes him their OC now.

TRH
01-23-2012, 01:46 PM
my hunch is saying Fichtner's going to be one of the top 2 considerations, if not the hire. But again, its all speculation and Tomlin would probably have a good laugh if he read these comments.

ricardisimo
01-23-2012, 02:07 PM
The only reason Haley's fiery sideline personality was criticized....was because he didn't win as a HC. Bill Cowher was no different but everyone said Bill was a leader.... Haley is a jerk and his sideline antics were tame compared to Bill Cowher and some other coaches. Really I can't think of a better match then Haley...until I hear some other options I think Haley, Childress, and Caldwell should all be at the top of the list for the job.
No, Haley was criticized because he was a prick and a sore loser. Can you imagine Cowher (or Tomlin) refusing to shake hands with the opposing coach after a loss and on top of that shouting at them, scolding them for "running up the score"? I could imagine Tomlin actually sincerely thanking them for exposing his flaws and making the team better prepared for the next game.

Hey Todd... don't like the other team scoring so much? How about stopping them? :noidea: How about using that to motivate your crappy team that picks in the top-10 every year? I swear they pick a DT or DE every single year and they still can't stop the run.

FrancoLambert
01-23-2012, 05:47 PM
my hunch is saying Fichtner's going to be one of the top 2 considerations, if not the hire. But again, its all speculation and Tomlin would probably have a good laugh if he read these comments.

Most likely would only show minor improvement with Fichtner. We need a fresh set of eyes, someone who has not been on the practice field with this group, someone with a more objective outlook, a different approach. If the big complaint about Haley is being a "prick" and getting in a player's face for accountability....well, I think we need and could benefit from some of that that.

tony hipchest
01-23-2012, 05:50 PM
rumors that colts might be interrested in jim tressel. im kinda suprised nobody has mentioned him. w/o a doubt he could lure thad gibson out of retirement and beg him to return.

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

ricardisimo
01-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Most likely would only show minor improvement with Fichtner. We need a fresh set of eyes, someone who has not been on the practice field with this group, someone with a more objective outlook, a different approach. If the big complaint about Haley is being a "prick" and getting in a player's face for accountability....well, I think we need and could benefit from some of that that.
No, he's a prick that doesn't get along with anyone. I never saw him get in a player's face (although I saw a player get in his face back in AZ).

People have an extremely misguided view of his "genius" because he was coaching Kurt Warner. I could coach Warner.

tony hipchest
01-24-2012, 01:39 AM
i hear joe paterno is out of a job....

:hide:

:bricks:

too soon?

oh well... cant be any worse than arians.

Fire Arians
01-24-2012, 02:00 AM
replacing him with LOG would be an upgrade. better than bad, it's good.

hP0kWqJJZa4

ricardisimo
01-31-2012, 08:21 AM
Should I update this poll with a new one?

Bayz101
01-31-2012, 08:23 AM
Should I update this poll with a new one?

Sounds like a good idea to me :thumbsup:

Bayz101
01-31-2012, 08:25 AM
Although it's clear Tom Brady and his Ugg's will be hired :chuckle: