PDA

View Full Version : Its Official- Bruce Arians Retires

tony hipchest
01-20-2012, 10:16 AM
just announced on radio, as tomlin issues an address.

:danceshout:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...6-e62bd0207498

Bruce Arians has informed me that he will retire from coaching. I appreciate his efforts over the past five years as the team’s offensive coordinator and for helping lead our offense to new heights during his time with the Steelers. I am grateful to Bruce for contributing to our success and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement.

saveus1011
01-20-2012, 10:19 AM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OfvAnWFjLlc/TxSTo-J2EdI/AAAAAAAB2E8/wKubzIwdCyA/s200/tumblr_lkn084hQy21qetge4.gif

MACH1
01-20-2012, 10:24 AM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OfvAnWFjLlc/TxSTo-J2EdI/AAAAAAAB2E8/wKubzIwdCyA/s200/tumblr_lkn084hQy21qetge4.gif

This!

Time to go see if the apologists are jumping to their deaths. :toofunny:

Lokki
01-20-2012, 10:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/YxkSb.jpg

tony hipchest
01-20-2012, 10:25 AM
lmao^^^^^

WARNING: bruce arians fans have declared that no coordinator will want to take the job vacancy because us steeler fans are too mean, "spoiled", demanding, and we just want too many points to be scored... :rofl:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OfvAnWFjLlc/TxSTo-J2EdI/AAAAAAAB2E8/wKubzIwdCyA/s200/tumblr_lkn084hQy21qetge4.gif[/QUOTE]

:applaudit: hilarious!

Fire Arians
01-20-2012, 10:31 AM

Bruce Arians has informed me that he will retire from coaching. I appreciate his efforts over the past five years as the teamís offensive coordinator and for helping lead our offense to new heights during his time with the Steelers. I am grateful to Bruce for contributing to our success and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement.

WOHOO!

leading our offense to new heights? like what? having the most talented team to finish on the bottom third in scoring? yeah that's an accomplishment alright.

MACH1
01-20-2012, 10:34 AM
WOHOO!

leading our offense to new heights? like what? having the most talented team to finish on the bottom third in scoring? yeah that's an accomplishment alright.

Your gonna have to change your screen name now. :sofunny:

tunes4life
01-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Wow, I have to admit, I really am surprised. With all of the players and media in Pittsburgh backing him, I figured we'd have him for a year or two more. I hope we get someone in place with some creativity. We have the skill positions in place to have a great offense. This decision can go either way.

SteelMusic
01-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Yeahhhhhh!!!!!! Just made my morning. I was dreading this conference call coming up in a few hours, but it's all good now. This is truly a great day!!!!! Now who will we get?

:applaudit: :thumbsup: :wave: :popcorn:

Fire Arians
01-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Wow, I have to admit, I really am surprised. With all of the players and media in Pittsburgh backing him, I figured we'd have him for a year or two more. I hope we get someone in place with some creativity. We have the skill positions in place to have a great offense. This decision can go either way.

media was backing him? it sounded like bouchette wasn't a big fan of him

tunes4life
01-20-2012, 10:38 AM
media was backing him? it sounded like bouchette wasn't a big fan of him

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12020/1204705-87-0.stm

Kingmagyar
01-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Radio guy and Columnist Ron Cook just got done making this passionate speech about why the Steelers should keep BA when the announcement was made. He got really mad at a caller after that. Ron Cook who is like BA's personal PR man had his bubble burst today. It was great.

Kingmagyar
01-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Will Tomlin hire his former head coach from the Vikings, Brad Childress?
Will he hire Hue Jackson?
Jim Caldwell?
Brian Shottenheimer?
Tom Clements?
Randy Fichter?

I like Tom Clements or Hue Jackson.

Whoever it is. GET READY FOR A FULLBACK AGAIN.

tony hipchest
01-20-2012, 10:44 AM
ron cooks final plea was too little, too late. :chuckle:

Cook: Ousting Arians is unwiseFriday, January 20, 2012
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Seems like everyone is saying the Steelers need to spend more time and money on constructing a better offensive line. The team has invested $102 million in quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Doesn't it need to do a better job keeping him healthy?

Well, here are two more questions:

Isn't it important to keep Roethlisberger happy? :party:

If so, why are the Steelers on the verge of forcing offensive coordinator Bruce Arians to retire?

It makes no sense.

The decision to push out Arians apparently has been made by team president Art Rooney II. The most recent time I talked to Arians about his future, he made it clear he wants to come back. "These young guys have made it so much fun for me," he said of the team's young wide receivers. It's believed coach Mike Tomlin wants Arians back. At his season-ending news conference after a wild-card playoff loss to the Denver Broncos, he said he anticipated his coaching staff remaining intact.

But Tuesday, Rooney told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette that a few Steelers coaches are considering retirement. Surely, any official announcement about Arians -- perhaps this week or next -- will make it sound as if the retirement decision is his alone. Don't be fooled. That doesn't mean it isn't Rooney who has decided it's time for Arians to go.

It hardly matters that I think it's a big mistake. What does Tomlin think? He's a Super Bowl-winning coach and he's being told he has to fire a coordinator who he wants? No one is arguing that Rooney isn't the boss. Make no mistake, he is. But is this a good thing to do your coach? To emasculate him even a little bit? It's not as if the Steelers have been dreadful for a long time, as they were when Rooney's father, Dan, forced Hall of Fame coach Chuck Noll to make staff changes. They went 12-4 this season before losing to the Broncos.

Firing Arians now is just as wrong as it would have been after the 2009 season when there was media speculation he was out. The Steelers went 9-7 and missed the playoffs that year, although the offense wasn't nearly as much to blame as the defense, which blew five fourth-quarter leads, and the special teams, which allowed four kickoff returns for touchdowns. Roethlisberger went to management and Tomlin and argued to keep Arians. It's hard to say what impact he had, but Arians stayed. Good thing because the team made it to the Super Bowl in '10. In '08, it won Super Bowl XLIII with Arians calling the plays, including those on the late, 78-yard winning drive.

It's nice to think Rooney will realize he's making a mistake and change his mind before the official Arians retirement announcement is made.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12020/1204705-87-0.stm#ixzz1k19EWBna

TRH
i predict that this will be the longest thread in this forum's history.......

Fire Arians
Will Tomlin hire his former head coach from the Vikings, Brad Childress?
Will he hire Hue Jackson?
Jim Caldwell?
Brian Shottenheimer?
Tom Clements?
Randy Fichter?

I like Tom Clements or Hue Jackson.

Whoever it is. GET READY FOR A FULLBACK AGAIN.

word. to be honest i wouldn't even mind a coach trying to run a spread offense if we aren't so predictable with the playcalling. brucey would empty the backfield every time we ran that formation, which is stupid. totally takes out any threat of a run.

GMU Steeler
01-20-2012, 10:45 AM
And there was much rejoicing/// Anyhow, glad he decided to retire and I wish him well in that but we needed a new guy there. Hope we hire someone great.

Fire Arians
01-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Your gonna have to change your screen name now. :sofunny:

i'll keep my name :wink02:

MACH1
01-20-2012, 10:47 AM
i predict that this will be the longest thread in this forum's history.......

You haven't seen the 1492 thread have you. :laughing:

TRH
01-20-2012, 10:52 AM
The 1st thing i thought when i read Dan Rooney's statement earlier this week was "those are VERY strong words coming from the big man....something's going down". Subtle yet very forceful.

Fire Arians
01-20-2012, 10:53 AM
The 1st thing i thought when i read Dan Rooney's statement earlier this week was "those are VERY strong words coming from the big man....something's going down". Subtle yet very forceful.

i got that impression too. im thinking arians didn't retire on his own terms

SteelMusic
01-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Just heard the best call on the Fan that explained why Cowher was 100-0-1 when he had a fourth quarter lead and how Arians couldn't close out the game. Cowher's teams had a great plan to milk the clock at the end of games! It was time and I see nothing but great things coming from this offense with another coordinator.

tony hipchest
01-20-2012, 10:55 AM
this is what art rooney II had to say about arians thismorning before the announcement-

DVEMike Mike Prisuta

Art Rooney II on DVE Morning Show on when Bruce Arians' status as OC for the 2012 season might be resolved: "As soon as today, possibly."
2 hours ago

DVEMike Mike Prisuta
Art Rooney II on DVE Morning Show on Arians returning as OC: "It's really pretty much Bruce's decision in conjunction with talking to Mike."

:jawdrop:

HES FREAKING PSYCHIC!!!

it went down exactly as he guessed!

amazing.

i bet he's bummed. he seemed to be in bruces corner the whole way and never [directly] said he wanted him fired.

Rockonsteel
01-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Glad that disaster is over. Good riddance!!

Rockon

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2012, 10:56 AM
http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/images/stories/Dan_Gigler/arians_out.jpg

tony hipchest
01-20-2012, 11:04 AM
....and there was joy throughout the land...

A5iseJJ5ogA

BKAnthem
01-20-2012, 11:05 AM
:applaudit:

:tt04:

:tt02:

:tt:

:tt03:

:hug:

:drink:

:thumbsup:

Rockonsteel
01-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Radio guy and Columnist Ron Cook just got done making this passionate speech about why the Steelers should keep BA when the announcement was made. He got really mad at a caller after that. Ron Cook who is like BA's personal PR man had his bubble burst today. It was great.

For realz playa. The dude sounds like he is literally fighting back tears. He is taking this shit real, real hard. I hope he, like many of the apologists on these boards, don't do anything rash. Maybe we should hide all shoelaces and sharp objects...LMAO

Rockon

Pentheon
01-20-2012, 11:07 AM
well this is what everyone wanted...I kinda feel bad but its the business, he made his decision. I just hope we bring in someone that can get this offense to accel the way we know its able to.

Fire Arians
01-20-2012, 11:09 AM
i guess platypus doesn't get to laugh at us this season, he can go cry a river while our offense goes from #22 to top 10

MACH1
01-20-2012, 11:11 AM
well this is what everyone wanted...I kinda feel bad but its the business, he made his decision. I just hope we bring in someone that can get this offense to accel the way we know its able to.

Thats the key. Something bruce was/will never be able to do.

TRH
01-20-2012, 11:11 AM
i got that impression too. im thinking arians didn't retire on his own terms

Me too. Since Tomlin would have kept him on, i'll bet he wasn't "forced"....but was "nudged" to retire.

SteelMusic
01-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Cook is so pissed about this. It's hilarious listening to him be all grumpy on the radio. Sounds like he's about to cry.

DanRooney
01-20-2012, 11:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoyUT5p6MYQ

:applaudit:

Rockonsteel
01-20-2012, 11:20 AM
i guess platypus doesn't get to laugh at us this season, he can go cry a river while our offense goes from #22 to top 10

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Rockon

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Cook is so pissed about this. It's hilarious listening to him be all grumpy on the radio. Sounds like he's about to cry.

Always hard to lose an inside source when you cover an organization - I am certain BA leaked information to Cook as the explanation for Cook's mancrush

Plus Cook looks like a fool for writing his column that Bruce must stay the very day Bruce jumped before he was pushed out

BKAnthem
01-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Now let's see who he replaces him with...I know Kugler was dealt a shitty hand with this line but these are his guys and so i'm not sold on him yet...Lakes secondary looks alot better already and they were pretty weak too...

stiller39
01-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Arians had tons of success as the O coordinator as did the Stillers under his tutelage. I didn't alway agree with him but his success and the success of our team speak for itself. I am not going to list all the accomplishments here we have enjoyed under him. I hope that our new coordinator, whoever that may be will be able to duplicate his success, and hopefully better our Team. Only time will tell.

Whodis
01-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Arians had tons of success as the O coordinator as did the Stillers under his tutelage. I didn't alway agree with him but his success and the success of our team speak for itself. I am not going to list all the accomplishments here we have enjoyed under him. I hope that our new coordinator, whoever that may be will be able to duplicate his success, and hopefully better our Team. Only time will tell.

In duplicating his success, do you mean having your DEFENSE carry you through another super bowl?

tony hipchest
01-20-2012, 11:37 AM

great post. i like arians, but he didnt do his job. he lacked any accountability, whatsoever. whenever there was failure he was more than glad to allow ben or tomlin shoulder all the blame.

according to arians (and his neices and nephews), he has never called a bad game in his life. the players didnt execute. :doh:

3rdandlong
01-20-2012, 11:42 AM

Fire Arians, you're going to have to get a new username. Your dream has been realized! I'm with you. I couldn't stand Arian's playcalling

FanSince72
01-20-2012, 11:49 AM
i'll keep my name :wink02:

I'm happy for you.

I just hope that whoever takes over doesn't make you want to someday change your name to: HIRE Arians.

(Be careful what you wish for)

We'll see...

SteeleReign
01-20-2012, 11:53 AM
The ONLY thing I don't like about this news is that I'm so pumped for next season already that I can hardly stand it. BRING ON 2012!!!

SteelBlaze1
01-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Saw this in the ESPN rumors...it sounds like a hire from within.

UPDATE: The Pittsburgh Steelers have confirmed that Bruce Arians has retired. Thus, a search for a new offensive coordinator begins. The search may not leave the room.

"...the last couple of years I've been told that Randy Fichtner is the top internal OC candidate," Jim Wexell of SteelCityInsider.net wrote. "He was a popular choice to return to Memphis (former OC whose spread offense from 2001-06 smashed school records) as the head coach. And perhaps the fact that Fichtner wasn't hired for the job in December, a job he said he wanted, is part of the reason Arians is reportedly not coming back. Perhaps a deal was made with Tomlin then."

- Brent Sobleski

Ronaldo
01-20-2012, 12:12 PM
God, a spread offense without the predictability of Arians formations, would be magical.

Fire Arians
01-20-2012, 12:14 PM
God, a spread offense without the predictability of Arians formations, would be magical.

mendenhall is the perfect back to run out of a spread formation too, i hope he's going to be healthy next season though.

in any case this already has become a great offseason

I hope we get rid of the WR screen, or at least not run it 10 times a game. and I hope this guy has enough balls to be ben's boss instead of his golf buddy

plenewken
01-20-2012, 12:16 PM

Bruce Arians has informed me that he will retire from coaching. I appreciate his efforts over the past five years as the teamís offensive coordinator and for helping lead our offense to new heights during his time with the Steelers. I am grateful to Bruce for contributing to our success and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

FanSince72
01-20-2012, 12:21 PM
http://www.sycaonline.org/images/arians.jpg

steelfury02
01-20-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm actually hoping this knocks Ben's ego down a half a peg and shakes him out of his current mindset that extending the play is the only thing that is going to work

vindrow
01-20-2012, 12:31 PM
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/5804/woohooq.jpg
By vindrow (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/vindrow) at 2012-01-20

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Saw this in the ESPN rumors...it sounds like a hire from within.

UPDATE: The Pittsburgh Steelers have confirmed that Bruce Arians has retired. Thus, a search for a new offensive coordinator begins. The search may not leave the room.

"...the last couple of years I've been told that Randy Fichtner is the top internal OC candidate," Jim Wexell of SteelCityInsider.net wrote. "He was a popular choice to return to Memphis (former OC whose spread offense from 2001-06 smashed school records) as the head coach. And perhaps the fact that Fichtner wasn't hired for the job in December, a job he said he wanted, is part of the reason Arians is reportedly not coming back. Perhaps a deal was made with Tomlin then."

- Brent Sobleski

Since Tomlin was planning to bring Arians back last week after the offense cratered in December hard to follow Sobleski's rationale that Fichtner cut a deal with Tomlin when the team was still a legitimate Super Bowl threat - more likely that if Fichtner hung around looking for promotion to OC it was because he thought Arians might get axed

And of course Ed.B. said Coach Wilson was the leading in-house candidate prior to being badly burned

Bayz101
01-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Wow, just found out.

StainlessStill
01-20-2012, 12:43 PM
There is simply NO excuse for this Steelers offense NOT to be top 10 in overall offense or top 5 in scoring with the #1 defense year to year while managing such talent on this offense. Also no excuse that Ben shouldn't throw for 30+ touchdowns!

Bayz101
01-20-2012, 12:52 PM
21st in scoring???

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo60/GaiaBayz/bbbbbbb.jpg

LOLNOTBAD

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo60/GaiaBayz/ariansthumbnail.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo60/GaiaBayz/obama-not-bad-l.png

Rockonsteel
01-20-2012, 01:22 PM
http://www.sycaonline.org/images/arians.jpg

Since72,

Are you really Ron Cook?

Rockon

55BaileyFan
01-20-2012, 01:27 PM
http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/2012/01/end.html

THANK GOODNESS

TRH
01-20-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm actually hoping this knocks Ben's ego down a half a peg and shakes him out of his current mindset that extending the play is the only thing that is going to work

What would you like him to do? Stand there and get decapitated?
I watched in amazement over and over again the last couple of years how FAST the opposing defenses got to him after mowing through our OL. There were a few instances in the Denver game when their 3-man lines, in a prevent defense mode nonetheless, were on him in 2 seconds, it was unbelievable.

Bayz101
01-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Since72,

Are you really Ron Cook?

Rockon

No, he's Ron Cook's penis. It's stimulated whenever a negative Arians comment is made, the attraction is simply to much.

It doesn't seem like Arians retired on his own, but he retired nonetheless. That means this "Be careful what you wish for" commenting is completely stupid, considering on paper, it was his decision to leave, and we can't control his decisions. If we could control his decisions, we wouldn't be 21st in offense.

I don't think Arians left on his own, based on what Tomlin said. I "appreciate your efforts". "Helping" lead our offense to new heights.

So, Tomlin "appreciates" his efforts. And he "helped" lead our offense to new heights.

6RingsAndCounting
01-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Listening to 93.7 was driving me crazy today, Ron Cook was practically rubbing Arians off. He was saying how great he was due to his two SB appearances.. HE WAS GIVEN AMAZING TALENT! I swear the offense I run on Madden would have worked better... All of those pro bowlers, but 21st? that's pathetic

FanSince72
01-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Since72,

Are you really Ron Cook?

Rockon

No, I just thought that the parallels between Arians and Nixon were too good to pass up.

stb_steeler
01-20-2012, 01:38 PM
WOHOO!

Now you can change your nick avatar.....lol

madtowndrunkard
01-20-2012, 02:24 PM
how this all went down says something...... First off, it says just how much respect the Rooney's have for Coach Tomlin. If you think that highly of your coach, you don't over ride his decision and say " sorry but your OC is gone" It's pretty clear Tomlin has little say in his OC or DC.

If Tomlin is allowed to sign the guy he wants, expect someone from Minnesota or maybe someone with ties in Tampa. IMO Tomlin has showed that he's insecure in his coaching ability. Cowher had no problem looking for the top assistants in the pros or college, nor did he have any problem getting rid of those who weren't getting it done. Cowher didn't call up his buddies to fill positions. Cowher was more interested in winning then having a good time. Cowher had no insecurities as a coach.

Thinking back to when Tomlin was hired... .the few guys that Tomlin was allowed to pick...have pretty much all been replaced. Namely our Special Teams and O-line coaches. It would appear the FO fired Tomlin's guys and brought in their guys.

I suspect the FO will be doing the hiring of the OC... which IMO is a very good thing. I don't want an ex vikings coach running our offense.

I hope who ever we bring in, also brings with him a proven O-line and QB coach.

ricardisimo
01-20-2012, 02:26 PM
http://pull.imgfave.netdna-cdn.com/image_cache/131579651141991.gif

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/sexy/grand/22366989895.gif

And then there's HTG's reaction:

http://swellco2000.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/tumblr_lgkhu5jV671qzc4eao1_500.gif

6RingsAndCounting
01-20-2012, 02:31 PM
@Richardisimo we can be the Multiple Scorgasms now that we might be able to score with a new coordinator!

FanSince72
01-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Listening to 93.7 was driving me crazy today, Ron Cook was practically rubbing Arians off. He was saying how great he was due to his two SB appearances.. HE WAS GIVEN AMAZING TALENT! I swear the offense I run on Madden would have worked better... All of those pro bowlers, but 21st? that's pathetic

Well, if you look at the numbers, Arians was the second most successful OC we've had in the last 12 seasons. Whiz was #1, but not by much, so I can understand why Cook is defending BA.

See for yourself:

Arians
2011 - 12 - 4 - 0 2nd
2010 - 12- 4 - 0 1st
2009 - 9 - 7 - 0 3rd
2008 - 12 - 4 - 0 1st
2007 - 10 - 6 - 0 1st

.688 win percentage / 5-3 (.625) post season
(.645 win percentage first three seasons)
(.600 first place percentage overall)

Whiz
2006- 8 - 8 - 0 2nd
2005- 11 - 5 - 0 2nd
2004 - 15 - 1 - 0 1st

.708 win percentage 4-1 (.800) post season
(.333 first place percentage overall)

Mularkey
2003- 6 - 10- 0 3rd
2002 - 10- 5 - 1 1st
2001 - 13- 3- 0 1st

.604 win percentage 2-2 (.500) post season
(.666 first place percentage overall)

Gilbride
2000 - 9 - 7 - 0 3rd
1999 - 6 - 10- 0 4th

.468 win percentage (no post season)
(no first place)

Since everyone seems to be in love with statistics, those stats say that Arians was pretty good overall.

Steel_Bus_24
01-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Its Official- Bruce Arians Retires....

http://images59.fotki.com/v683/photos/0/1685060/8895181/fisher1-vi.gif

StainlessStill
01-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Me and my bro's reaction to Arians RETIRING:

http://images60.fotki.com/v224/photos/1/1856301/10353784/manciniceleb23-vi.gif

truesteelerfan
01-20-2012, 03:37 PM
happy dance!!!!

Rockonsteel
01-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Well, if you look at the numbers, Arians was the second most successful OC we've had in the last 12 seasons. Whiz was #1, but not by much, so I can understand why Cook is defending BA.

See for yourself:

Arians
2011 - 12 - 4 - 0 2nd
2010 - 12- 4 - 0 1st
2009 - 9 - 7 - 0 3rd
2008 - 12 - 4 - 0 1st
2007 - 10 - 6 - 0 1st

Whiz
2006- 8 - 8 - 0 2nd
2005- 11 - 5 - 0 2nd
2004 - 15 - 1 - 0 1st

Mularkey
2003- 6 - 10- 0 3rd
2002 - 10- 5 - 1 1st
2001 - 13- 3- 0 1st

Gilbride
2000 - 9 - 7 - 0 3rd
1999 - 6 - 10- 0 4th

(no first place)

Since everyone seems to be in love with statistics, those stats say that Arians was pretty good overall.

Gilbride and Mularkey didn't have Ben. Major difference. BA didn't make Ben better, but been made BA look better.

Rockon

Men of Steel
01-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Gilbride and Mularkey didn't have Ben. Major difference. BA didn't make Ben better, but been made BA look better.

Rockon

This ^^^

Rotorhead
01-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Oh thank god this finally happened, now can we just get a real off coord that knows how to make halftime adjustments and can call situational football!

FanSince72
01-20-2012, 04:02 PM

Rockon

So basically Arians had nothing to do with five winning seasons in a row with two Super Bowl appearances.

OK, just checking.

6RingsAndCounting
01-20-2012, 04:10 PM
So basically Arians had nothing to do with five winning seasons in a row with two Super Bowl appearances.

OK, just checking.

He didn't have too much to do with it, the top ranked defense did. How many times has Ben bailed him out with going no huddle in previous years

MACH1
01-20-2012, 04:20 PM
And arians had nothing to do with the bland predictable telegraphing O. And running the same bubble screen over and over and over.

Black N' Yellow
01-20-2012, 04:22 PM
But he was the OC of a team that went 12-4 this year despite injuries to the O-line and QB that basically crippled our offense in the second half of this season. Was he the best coordinator by any means? No. But his offenses have scored enough to win.

You guys are spoiled and crazy.

FrancoLambert
01-20-2012, 04:24 PM
:applaudit:Essential Steps For Offensive Improvement

1) get rid of BA *
2) hire new OC from outside (do not promote from within/no ties with Ben or Tomlin)
3) target O-line as #1 priority (the ballsy move is pursue free agent O-line help which allows for more flexibility (BPA) with our 1st pick (S/ILB)
4) revised playbook
5) open Ben's eyes as to playing smarter, and as a result healthier.

Well, check off step 1......maybe we are heading in the right direction.
:tt04::tt03::tt::thumbsup::tt02:

sorry, love the smilies

tanda10506
01-20-2012, 04:27 PM

OK, just checking.

I watch the games at my house with 6-8 other Steeler fans and we have all been saying the same thing for years, we win IN SPITE of Arians. With as terrible as Arians is(was) the defense had always been so good that we still were in contention. Of course in the playoffs Ben steps up and makes a lot of plays, plays that can not be drawn up with chalk. Over the last few successful years we've had, there has been plenty of games we could have won, and plenty of games that could have been blow outs instead of near losses, if it wasn't for the offense being so sub par. Arians is by far the biggest reason for that, so yes he did have something to do with that, he held it back from being better. Just because your on a team that makes it to the SB or even the playoffs doesn't mean you contributed in a positive way. Did Jonathan Scott contribute to making it to the playoffs, hell no.

FrancoLambert
01-20-2012, 04:28 PM
:applaudit:Essential Steps For Offensive Improvement

1) get rid of BA *
2) hire new OC from outside (do not promote from within/no ties with Ben or Tomlin)
3) target O-line as #1 priority (the ballsy move is pursue free agent O-line help which allows for more flexibility (BPA) with our 1st pick (S/ILB)
4) revised playbook
5) open Ben's eyes as to playing smarter, and as a result healthier.

Well, check off step 1......maybe we are heading in the right direction.
:tt04::tt03::tt::thumbsup::tt02:

sorry, love the smilies

SORRY, FORGOT #6) GET RID OF DAVID JOHNSON

MACH1
01-20-2012, 04:30 PM
But he was the OC of a team that went 12-4 this year despite injuries to the O-line and QB that basically crippled our offense in the second half of this season. Was he the best coordinator by any means? No. But his offenses have scored enough to win.

You guys are spoiled and crazy.

He was good at getting fg's I'll give him that much. If your happy consistantly being in the bottom third in scoring he was a genius.

steelersfan77
01-20-2012, 04:32 PM
I wish Arians the best in retirement. I know he wasn't a favorite of many fans, especially on this board some of whom wanted this guy crucified, but I thought at times his offense was a thing of brilliance. Other times not so much. I guess it's that way with every coordinator. They're usually the ones who take the brunt of the complaint reasons when things go south. Sometimes it's the head coach, sometimes it's the GM, sometimes it's the quarterback but most of the time it's either the OC/DC.

That being said, I hope who ever they choose to replace Arians has a plan in the attack to use a traditional fullback. Not some hybrid TE/FB. I'm all about spreading the field but there's nothing better than a man who makes a living trying to run people over while leading his more athletic counterpart through the hole. A real fullback.

With capable recievers in Wallace, Brown, Sanders and Miller there should be no reason you shouldn't be able to spread the field and still field a two back system. I've always thought Heath Miller was wildly mismanaged in the way he was used. It's great having him on the line of scrimmage where he can chip before a route but at times you have to flank the man out and create mistmatches. It opens up the middle for the running game when you can get a linebacker out of the box or catch a team in a nickle and dime package.

Last but not least. I'm hoping to actually see a halfback screen work and not only work but be set up so well it's a thing of beauty and catches the defense off guard. Past offensive coordinators were able to make this call with very well when they knew a blitz might be coming. Erhardt, Wisenhunt, etc. Under Arians offense, even if the blitz was coming, the halfback screen was a pathetic looking play and usually didn't work. Mendenhall has great hands and is dangerous in the open field. Utilize him.

Enough of my rant. Good luck to next offensive coordinator. Looking for a brilliant mind.

OX1947
01-20-2012, 04:41 PM
He was good at getting fg's I'll give him that much. If your happy consistantly being in the bottom third in scoring he was a genius.

Yup. Injuries are one thing but reciever screens to death EVEN after Suggs snuffed it out, those shows a lack of common sense. Especially when he used it. Getting field goals instead of TDs costs your team wins more then you think. And not controling Ben is another. I dont care who Ben is, its the job of the HC and OC to coach him to know he needs to stay healthy to win. And by doing that you have to construct the offense to do so. If you want Ben to create, roll him out, if you want him to use his legs sometimes, try and draw the play to create the least amount of rushers. Ben needs to also realize whether he wants to play 2 more years or 5. This is their job, its time to wake him up or you need to go another direction otherwise the steelers will continue to have a banged up franchise QB in the latter part of the season.

MasterOfPuppets
01-20-2012, 04:44 PM
The Party Is At Mach's House !!! Free Food And Beer... pm Mach For Directions

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

http://www.biglousbouncies.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/party_delivered.gif

Hines0wnz
01-20-2012, 05:19 PM
This should make many of you Arians-haters happy for a few minutes......until you find another source to hate on that is.

ricardisimo
01-20-2012, 05:22 PM

OK, just checking.
Last time I checked, you win games in the NFL by scoring points and limiting your opponents' points. See, there's two parts to that, and the final equation is what gives you a W or an L. One of our coordinators' units have consistently ranked in the top-five, the other... not so much.

What you are suggesting is that mediocrity (and the numbers are clear - we're talking mediocrity, to put it generously) is acceptable from Mr. Arians' units so long as the team as a whole mostly wins. Many of us don't see it that way.

This should make many of you Arians-haters happy for a few minutes......until you find another source to hate on that is.
He says, with an Obama-hate signature.

jiminpa
01-20-2012, 05:28 PM
SORRY, FORGOT #6) GET RID OF DAVID JOHNSON
Yeah! But he needs replaced with a real FB.

tony hipchest
01-20-2012, 05:29 PM
This should make many of you Arians-haters happy for a few minutes......until you find another source to hate on that is.do you still miss ray sherman or kevin gilbride?

i didnt think so.

all you arians supporters will get over it onve you realize theres more to an offensive philosophy than the one arians invented and implimented.

face it... it wasnt that great and left a TON to be desired.

chalk art rooney II up with the arians haters, cause he agreed. :applaudit:

He says, with an Obama-hate signature.

:chuckle: irony defined.

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2012, 05:30 PM

See for yourself:

Arians
2011 - 12 - 4 - 0 2nd
2010 - 12- 4 - 0 1st
2009 - 9 - 7 - 0 3rd
2008 - 12 - 4 - 0 1st
2007 - 10 - 6 - 0 1st

Whiz
2006- 8 - 8 - 0 2nd
2005- 11 - 5 - 0 2nd
2004 - 15 - 1 - 0 1st

Mularkey
2003- 6 - 10- 0 3rd
2002 - 10- 5 - 1 1st
2001 - 13- 3- 0 1st

Gilbride
2000 - 9 - 7 - 0 3rd
1999 - 6 - 10- 0 4th

(no first place)

Attributing the success of the Steelers since 2007 to the presence of Arians is about as statistically valid as attributing that success to the fact 2007 was the year I started watching Steelers games at home in HDTV rather than standard definition.

Consider the possibility that breaking out the statistics of the offense is more pertinent

This from the P-G this afternoon

Arians' average offense

Bruce Arians' tenure with the Steelers came to an end with the Steelers today when his retirement was announced. He served as the Steelers' offensive coordinator for the past five seasons.

While the offense was adequate enough to appear in two Super Bowls and win one during that time, it was pretty mediocre during the past half decade if you rank it in terms of producing touchdowns.

Since 2007, the Steelers produced the 12th-most offensive touchdowns in the NFL
Breakdown is passing/rushing/total touchdowns

1) Patriots 175 94 269
2.) Saints 175 80 255
3.) Packers 170 67 237
4.) Chargers 142 83 225
5.) Giants 134 82 216
7.) Colts 140 69 209
8.) Eagles 124 79 208
9.) Texans 118 79 197
10.) Vikings 102 90 192
11.) Falcons 117 73 190
12.) Steelers 124 63 187

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/home/114491-arians-average-offense-01-20-11

Or consider the possibility that it is the defnse that has carried the Steelers since 2007

These are the rankings of the Steelers offense and defense since 2007 in points and yards

Offense
2011 - 21st in points 12th in yards
2010 - 12th in points 14th in yards
2009 - 12th in points 7th in yards
2008 - 20th in points 22nd in yards
2007 - 9th in points 17th in yards

Offense
2011 - 1st in points 1st in yards
2010 - 1st in points 2nd in yards
2009 - 12th in points 5th in yards
2008 - 1st in points 1st in yards
2007 - 2nd in points 1st in yards

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/

The one year the defense was off (2009) was the one season out of the past five the Steelers missed the playoffs - seems pretty clear the success of the team has been driven by the defense

Citing the Steelers record to support Arians being a successful OC and a major factor in the success of the Steelers since 2007 is like citing the crowing of a rooster as the reason the Sun rises - the two are unrelated

wera176
01-20-2012, 05:34 PM
"He says, with an Obama-hate signature. "

hehe I chuckled at that irony as well...

My wife is happy, she said she's glad she won't have to listen to be scream at Arians the entire game! ;:applaudit: I told her I'll just yell at some one else! :tt03:

The talent we have makes it easy to move the ball between the 20s, it's in the red zone where an OC shows his worth, imo. As I watched the playoffs I noticed how many times the OC called a great play in the red zone where someone was wide open, or the back ran the opposite way the D thought they were going and they walked in. Many times this looked sooo easy. Then I recall how many TDs we scored (or tried to score) were pure Ben forcing it in or willing it to happen, or running around until someone got open. There's just no room for speeding guys to blow by people in the red zone, you actually have to fool someone once in a while...

tony hipchest
01-20-2012, 05:38 PM
cXSOD1N5lR4&feature=related

steelers33
01-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Needed to be done now fix the o-line( Cordy Glenn please ), tell Ben not to hang onto the ball too long, and tell Mendy if he comes back to stop dancing in the hole.

FanSince72
01-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Attributing the success of the Steelers since 2007 to the presence of Arians is about as statistically valid as attributing that success to the fact 2007 was the year I started watching Steelers games at home in HDTV rather than standard definition.

Consider the possibility that breaking out the statistics of the offense is more pertinent

This from the P-G this afternoon

Arians' average offense

Bruce Arians' tenure with the Steelers came to an end with the Steelers today when his retirement was announced. He served as the Steelers' offensive coordinator for the past five seasons.

While the offense was adequate enough to appear in two Super Bowls and win one during that time, it was pretty mediocre during the past half decade if you rank it in terms of producing touchdowns.

Since 2007, the Steelers produced the 12th-most offensive touchdowns in the NFL
Breakdown is passing/rushing/total touchdowns

1) Patriots 175 94 269
2.) Saints 175 80 255
3.) Packers 170 67 237
4.) Chargers 142 83 225
5.) Giants 134 82 216
7.) Colts 140 69 209
8.) Eagles 124 79 208
9.) Texans 118 79 197
10.) Vikings 102 90 192
11.) Falcons 117 73 190
12.) Steelers 124 63 187

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/home/114491-arians-average-offense-01-20-11

Or consider the possibility that it is the defnse that has carried the Steelers since 2007

These are the rankings of the Steelers offense and defense since 2007 in points and yards

Offense
2011 - 21st in points 12th in yards
2010 - 12th in points 14th in yards
2009 - 12th in points 7th in yards
2008 - 20th in points 22nd in yards
2007 - 9th in points 17th in yards

Offense
2011 - 1st in points 1st in yards
2010 - 1st in points 2nd in yards
2009 - 12th in points 5th in yards
2008 - 1st in points 1st in yards
2007 - 2nd in points 1st in yards

The one year the defense was off (2009) was the one season out of the past five the Steelers missed the playoffs - seems pretty clear the success of the team has been driven by the defense

Citing the Steelers record to support Arians being a successful OC and a major factor in the success of the Steelers since 2007 is like citing the crowing of a rooster as the reason the Sun rises - the two are unrelated

And yet with BA we were 55-25 in the reg. season, 5-3 in the post season, with two SB appearances and one win.

There are a boatload of teams who would LOVE that kind of mediocrity.

MasterOfPuppets
01-20-2012, 05:46 PM
And yet with BA we were 55-25 in the reg. season, 5-3 in the post season, with two SB appearances and one win.

but yet nobody tried to hire him away from the steelers ...strange..:scratchchin:

Fire Arians
01-20-2012, 05:58 PM
but yet nobody tried to hire him away from the steelers ...strange..:scratchchin:

not even the dolphins showed interest :chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2012, 05:58 PM

The 1985 Bears were 15 -1 and won the Super Bowl - i guess you contend that the 85 Bears offensive coordinator gets credit for that as well?

FanSince72
01-20-2012, 06:01 PM

OK, so tell me what you think Arians' leaving is going to do.

Do you think that whoever takes his place is simply going to install a new system and "Voila!" we'll be in the Super Bowl next year?

Will the new OC solve our problems at cornerback?
Will he be able to stop the injuries to the O-line so that Ben isn't getting plastered to the turf every week?
Will his presence make it possible for us to begin stopping teams from converting 3rd and 12's into first downs?

We have a lot more things to worry about than just piling up passing and rushing stats. You know, maybe Arians isn't the best OC for this team right now, but he certainly wasn't the only reason why we're watching the post season either and I just don't see how replacing him is going to address all of the other issues.

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2012, 06:02 PM
not even the dolphins showed interest :chuckle:

Dolphins apparently have hired Green Bay OC Joe Philbin, which probably derails the possibility of Tom Clements being the new Steelers OC:banging:

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/34482008

FanSince72
01-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Dolphins apparently have hired Green Bay OC Joe Philbin, which probably derails the possibility of Tom Clements being the new Steelers OC:banging:

It's gonna be Fitchner.

GMU Steeler
01-20-2012, 06:05 PM

Isn't Mike McCarthy the defacto OC there anyhow? But yeah the Fins hiring Philbin makes hiring Clements less likely.

Sixburgher
01-20-2012, 06:05 PM
OK, so tell me what you think Arians' leaving is going to do.

Do you think that whoever takes his place is simply going to install a new system and "Voila!" we'll be in the Super Bowl next year?

Will the new OC solve our problems at cornerback?
Will he be able to stop the injuries to the O-line so that Ben isn't getting plastered to the turf every week?
Will his presence make it possible for us to begin stopping teams from converting 3rd and 12's into first downs?

We have a lot more things to worry about than just piling up passing and rushing stats. You know, maybe Arians isn't the best OC for this team right now, but he certainly wasn't the only reason why we're watching the post season either and I just don't see how replacing him is going to address all of the other issues.

What defensive issues? We were ranked number one! One! Never mind that Tim Tebow looked like an actual NFL QB against us! Or that Flacco looked like Montana against us twice and looked like shit against everyone else! Our defense was ranked number one!

/sarcasm

GMU Steeler
01-20-2012, 06:06 PM

To be fair that doesn't mean he's a bad coordinator. Lebeau's a great defensive mind and yet has only had one HC gig. I'd use the fact that Arians is utterly predictable and doesn't get the most of his talent on offense as proof that he's a weak coordinator more than him never getting hired as a HC in the league.

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Isn't Mike McCarthy the defacto OC there anyhow? But yeah the Fins hiring Philbin makes hiring Clements less likely.

McCarthy calls the plays, so maybe Clements figures he would get more responsibility elsewhere - but it would be hard to say no to being OC for an Aaron Rodgers offense

6RingsAndCounting
01-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Since everyone tends to point to the super bowl that we won with Arians as the OC, people seem to forget that he was bailed out by the defense or Ben going no huddle time and time again.
Cleveland W 10-6
The offense put up 10 points and were lucky that they were playing Cleveland, but this game was the horribly windy one so I suppose he gets the benefit of the doubt for going run run pass all game.
Baltimore, W- 23-20 OT
This was a horribly called game from the beginning. If you don't remember, this was the game that Ben went in the locker room and told the team he was tired of being booed at Heinz field. They came out and went no huddle and drove down the field, also Woodley returned a fumble for a touchdown, and the Steelers finish with 4 field goals... sound familiar?
Jaguars, 26-21 W
Steelers win late, Ben drives them down the field in the no huddle and scored with less than 2 minutes left.
Chargers, 11-10 W
Once again, zero offense until Ben took over the no huddle. Steelers drive down the field with less than a minute left to kick the GW field goal.
Cowboys, 27-20 W
The offense was stagnant the whole game, and were lucky to even score before the 4th quarter, Ike intercepted a pass inside the 20 to get us none other than a FG! The offense finally did something when they scored late twice, while going no huddle. Then Deshea came through with the pick six to win the game.
Baltimore, 13-9 W
This one was the controversial Santonio catch, but once again, Ben leads them for their only touchdown late in the game.
Cardinals, 27-23 W Super Bowl
Everybody remembers this one, but red zone offense almost killed us in this one. We were stopped short of the goal line on the first drive and ended up kicking the field goal. Then we had a defensive touchdown, plus Ben's late game heroics once again to Santonio.

We were 20th in points and 22nd in yardage that year, thats terrible. Arians is lucky that he had one of the greatest defenses to ever step onto the field that year. I recall yelling at the tv to "Effing go no huddle" since Ben always seemed to call the better game.

jiminpa
01-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Needed to be done now fix the o-line( Cordy Glenn please ), tell Ben not to hang onto the ball too long, and tell Mendy if he comes back to stop dancing in the hole.Maybe if the new OC implements blocking schemes that involve opening holes he will be able to do that.

GMU Steeler
01-20-2012, 06:10 PM
McCarthy calls the plays, so maybe Clements figures he would get more responsibility elsewhere - but it would be hard to say no to being OC for an Aaron Rodgers offense

Yeah no kidding. But maybe Clements would love to be OC of his hometeam but you have a point.

FanSince72
01-20-2012, 06:10 PM
What defensive issues? We were ranked number one! One!

/sarcasm

Oh please!

If you think that we had a #1 Defense then maybe you should lay off whatever it is that you're smoking.

Oh Wait!
What am I thinking?

The STATISTICS say that!

But the statistics also say that we did pretty damned good with BA but THOSE statistics must be some different kind of statistics, I guess.

Sixburgher
01-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Oh please!

If you think that we had a #1 Defense then maybe you should lay off whatever it is that you're smoking.

Oh Wait!
What am I thinking?

The STATISTICS say that!

But the statistics also say that we did pretty damned good with BA but THOSE statistics must be some different kind of statistics, I guess.

There's a reason I added "/sarcasm" at the end there. I was agreeing with you. :chuckle:

jiminpa
01-20-2012, 06:25 PM
There's a reason I added "/sarcasm" at the end there. I was agreeing with you. :chuckle:And what part of "didn't allow points to be scored" is confusing the two of you? Is it your love for our consistently scoreless former OC that prohibits you from understanding that points are the most important stat? "Oh no the defense has two bad games a season. Let's destroy it." Coincidentally, the same as the maximum number of good games the offense has played in any season since Tomlin and Arians have taken control.

FanSince72
01-20-2012, 06:26 PM
There's a reason I added "/sarcasm" at the end there. I was agreeing with you. :chuckle:

OK, my bad.

I guess I'm just a little too wound up over all this statistical crap.

(Jeez, maybe I should go find something to smoke besides cigarettes).

Rockonsteel
01-20-2012, 06:56 PM
OK, my bad.

I guess I'm just a little too wound up over all this statistical crap.

(Jeez, maybe I should go find something to smoke besides cigarettes).

Maybe you should, it may help you to see the light...

:tt02: :tt04: :tt: :tt03: :hatsoff:

Rockon

tanda10506
01-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Since everyone tends to point to the super bowl that we won with Arians as the OC, people seem to forget that he was bailed out by the defense or Ben going no huddle time and time again.
Cleveland W 10-6
The offense put up 10 points and were lucky that they were playing Cleveland, but this game was the horribly windy one so I suppose he gets the benefit of the doubt for going run run pass all game.
Baltimore, W- 23-20 OT
This was a horribly called game from the beginning. If you don't remember, this was the game that Ben went in the locker room and told the team he was tired of being booed at Heinz field. They came out and went no huddle and drove down the field, also Woodley returned a fumble for a touchdown, and the Steelers finish with 4 field goals... sound familiar?
Jaguars, 26-21 W
Steelers win late, Ben drives them down the field in the no huddle and scored with less than 2 minutes left.
Chargers, 11-10 W
Once again, zero offense until Ben took over the no huddle. Steelers drive down the field with less than a minute left to kick the GW field goal.
Cowboys, 27-20 W
The offense was stagnant the whole game, and were lucky to even score before the 4th quarter, Ike intercepted a pass inside the 20 to get us none other than a FG! The offense finally did something when they scored late twice, while going no huddle. Then Deshea came through with the pick six to win the game.
Baltimore, 13-9 W
This one was the controversial Santonio catch, but once again, Ben leads them for their only touchdown late in the game.
Everybody remembers this one, but red zone offense almost killed us in this one. We were stopped short of the goal line on the first drive and ended up kicking the field goal. Then we had a defensive touchdown, plus Ben's late game heroics once again to Santonio.

We were 20th in points and 22nd in yardage that year, thats terrible. Arians is lucky that he had one of the greatest defenses to ever step onto the field that year. I recall yelling at the tv to "Effing go no huddle" since Ben always seemed to call the better game.

I don't remember the Steelers getting booed at Heinz. I understand low scoring games against the Ratbirds, they don't score much on us either, but the Browns game was ridiculous and as you pointed out, the defense seemed to score as much as the offense. Almost all those games the defense scored. With a lesser defense, Arains costs us that SB, I still can't believe how much the offense struggled against the Cardinals. Damn I'm glad he's gone.

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2012, 07:07 PM
I don't remember the Steelers getting booed at Heinz..

Check out the first minute of this excerpt from the 2008 America's Game on the Steelers Monday night comeback at Heinz against the Ravens

fWz3D9pFyFs&feature=related

ZoneBlitzer
01-20-2012, 07:08 PM
It's a sad day for the WR Bubble Screen and a great day for Steeler fans who know offense.

Black N' Yellow
01-20-2012, 07:38 PM

I'm not. Don't get me wrong. But I'm thinking this year was largely a result of a struggling offensive line, undersized receivers, a runningback struggling to find holes the o-line was supposed to make for him, and most importantly... a quarterback who's been hurt all year ever since Houston... Sprained foot, broken thumb, and sprained ankle and he still threw for 21 touchdowns and 4,000 yards in a offense that was forced to become "predictable".

Atlanta Dan
01-20-2012, 07:43 PM
I'm not. Don't get me wrong. But I'm thinking this year was largely a result of a struggling offensive line, undersized receivers, a runningback struggling to find holes the o-line was supposed to make for him, and most importantly... a quarterback who's been hurt all year ever since Houston... Sprained foot, broken thumb, and sprained ankle and he still threw for 21 touchdowns and 4,000 yards in a offense that was forced to become "predictable".

But 2011 was not an outlier - it's 2007 - 2011 in its totality - what about the other seasons of mediocrity?

As for 4000 yards and 21 touchdown passes, that is chump change in the 2011 NFL

MACH1
01-20-2012, 07:45 PM

Forced to be predictable? :rofl:
They weren't "forced" to become predictable. It was more of Arians inability to adjust to what he had or what was given to him in game time situations.

tony hipchest
01-20-2012, 07:45 PM
What defensive issues? We were ranked number one! One! Never mind that Tim Tebow looked like an actual NFL QB against us! Or that Flacco looked like Montana against us twice and looked like shit against everyone else! Our defense was ranked number one!

/sarcasmwho made tom brady and their unstoppable 2 TE set look like joe flacco and jay reimersma/mark breuner?

oh thats right... it was dick lebeau who shut them down.

arians cant put up more than 17 points vs the ravens to save his life. THEY ARE OUR MAJOR RIVALRY AND ROADBLOCK EVERY SEASON.

its the defense who has bailed his ass out every time we have defeated them.

im also pretty sure if lebeau were and OC he would be wise enough not to throw 50 times vs 8 rushes in the remnants of a hurricane turned tropical storm with blizzard conditions against the worst rush defense in the league.

putting together that gameplan is childsplay unless youre bruce arians always trying to trick somebody.

bruce is gone. Art rooney was right.

maybe bruce will get hired with jeff fisher and the rams so his followers can still cheer for his greatness and offensive ingenuity.

(im not holding my breath).

Steelerfreak58
01-20-2012, 07:51 PM
This news just made a warm happy feeling rise up in me that was quite unexpected!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6RingsAndCounting
01-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Check out the first minute of this excerpt from the 2008 America's Game on the Steelers Monday night comeback at Heinz against the Ravens

Thank you very much! couldn't find a link to prove my point anywhere! lol

6RingsAndCounting
01-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Cleveland W 10-6
Baltimore, W- 23-20 OT
Jaguars, 26-21 W
Chargers, 11-10 W
Cowboys, 27-20 W
Baltimore, 13-9 W

And in our losses we averages 13.5 per game, that isn't getting the job done offensively

FanSince72
01-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Maybe you should, it may help you to see the light...

:tt02: :tt04: :tt: :tt03: :hatsoff:

Rockon

That's OK.

I'll just hang back and wait to see how this all shakes out.

If it turns out that a new OC is all we need, I'll be the first to own up to it and I'll be right here telling everyone how right they were. :hug:

Of course, I really don't think I'll have to worry about doing that, but we'll see.

tony hipchest
01-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Of course, I really don't think I'll have to worry about doing that, but we'll see.

what exactly are the reasons that arians backers are so certain a new OC is doomed to failure?

is it that our offensive skill players are really just average and they are a product of bruce arians "system".

do arians fans secretly fear that ben is incapable of learning new terminology and plays in a single year?

i seriously ask this because i serioulsy (along with thousands of other fans) want to know.

an honest, well thought out explanation would be greatly appreciated and possibly help some of us understand your point of view.

Bayz101
01-20-2012, 08:46 PM

Thanks for posting this Dan, i'm watching part 6 of it now. I bought the football/DVD set thing from SI, but it was stolen. Haven't watched this in a long time :thumbsup:

lipps83
01-20-2012, 09:09 PM
I just saw the news that Arians retired!!!

HALLE-*******-UJAH!!!

Bayz101
01-20-2012, 09:11 PM
I just saw the news that Arians retired!!!

HALLE-*******-UJAH!!!

Living under the 'ole rock today, eh?

:chuckle:

Steelerfreak58
01-20-2012, 09:18 PM
I am just going to have to say this again this news made my week. Possibly my ****ing year! So happy right now I am grinning like I just snorted coke off a strippers ass cheek.

sharkweek
01-20-2012, 09:26 PM
I am definitely happy about this, I hope he was pushed to retire just to help him save face, because he didn't deserve this job

a lot of fans might be upset because they're of the incorrect mindset of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". That mentality just doesn't fly in anything competitive.

Even in our seasons with Arians where we had a Superbowl win and Superbowl loss, our offense was average at best, whereas our defense is consistently top 5, if not number 1, and often number 1 in several categories. With the talent we have on offense we really don't have an excuse not to be at least top 10, and with the league moving more and more towards a pass-oriented game, you can't count on the defense to completely carry a team. Our offense was simply underachieving under Arians. Sure, its possible his replacement does worse, but its possible if not likely he'll do better, and we've already been to two superbowls and won one with our current offense...

lipps83
01-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Living under the 'ole rock today, eh?

:chuckle:

Actually yeah, been working night shift and sleeping all day.

I am so excited that I wish the season would start tomorrow, but then I remember that it just ended because Arians couldn't seal the deal at the end of the Bronco game (before OT).

I was excited because of the news and then bummed because the season is over and we can't go and score some points finally just yet. Then I remember that Arians is gone and I am excited again!

I think that cycle will repeat until kick off in September.

mesaSteeler
01-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Well I've been down with a sinus infection so I caught this wonderful news very late. However after feeling like sh*it for a few days I now feel so much better.

It's clear what went down. The Airhead didn't retire voluntarily. He was forced out by Art Rooney. Do you remember when Art Rooney said this; "I think Mike and I certainly agreed coming off the season that we need to run the ball more consistently to get to where we want to get to."

Well it seems that Airhead Arians the Moron and I'm just along for the ride Tomlin didn't take Art seriously.

Big Mistake. I'll bet Airhead was given the choice, resign or be fired.

Well now little Mikee Tomlin knows who really runs the Steelers. Let's see who gets chosen as OC. I'll bet it will be the Rooney's choice and not either Tomlin's or Big Ben's.

Little Mikee better shape up his act up or he may end up following the Airhead out the door. Enough of this pass happy BS.

Well this is just the best news I could have had. It was getting so that I couldn't watch the games any longer because of the Airhead. I've always hated the pass happy, gambling, high risk, high fail crap offense that the Airhead was doing. I thought it was stupid when Chargers did it when Fouts was their QB. I hated when the Cardiac Cardinals did it and it made me physically sick to see what the Airhead did with the Steelers.

I've been a Stillers fan for 49 years. I say my first game in 1968. Until this news I was very seriously thinking of giving them up because of what the Airhead and what he had done to my team. It's why I had stopped posting as much.

Now I feel so much better in spite of the sinus infection. I now have hope the Steelers will go back to being the team that I've loved so long.

Thank you Dan and Art Rooney.

FanSince72
01-20-2012, 10:56 PM
what exactly are the reasons that arians backers are so certain a new OC is doomed to failure?

is it that our offensive skill players are really just average and they are a product of bruce arians "system".

do arians fans secretly fear that ben is incapable of learning new terminology and plays in a single year?

i seriously ask this because i serioulsy (along with thousands of other fans) want to know.

an honest, well thought out explanation would be greatly appreciated and possibly help some of us understand your point of view.

I don't think anyone is doomed to failure nor do I think that Arians was the only man for the job.

The problems with the offense - besides the injuries (which was no small issue), isn't just about Arians and his play calling.

First of all, Ben is as much a culprit in all of this as anyone and for a couple of reasons. When they handed him is 100 mil, they basically told him that he's "The Man" and with his ego, he took that to heart. He wants to run things and even though he can't write up the playbook, he often changes plays to suit his whims and he made it clear to everyone that he wants to throw the ball rather than hand it to running backs. With Ben's abilities and creativity, I can't say that I'd argue with that.

Secondly, it's no secret that Ben has been flying lazy circles around Arians for the past couple of years lobbying him to do more in the way of a passing game and in Arians Ben found an ally who wanted more passing too (so do I). At some point, Arians decided to make that happen and he's been trying to change the whole "Steeler Football" image around to become more of an offensive powerhouse because with Ben, we have the capability to be just that.

The problem is that you don't take decades worth of philosophy and identity and turn the whole thing around in one or two seasons. It's a lot more than just drawing up a bunch of pass plays and having everyone memorize them. To be really successful in that regard requires a different mindset and in some cases, different players with different skill-sets. Add to that the fact that he's had to try to do all of this while losing a number one receiver and having basically a bunch of rookies and second-year receivers along with limited talent at the tight end position to work with.

My point in all of this is that the entire process of turning this team into a pass-first operation takes time and I believe that we were actually making strides to that end. The injuries slowed things down considerably as did the newbie talent, but I saw signs of what this offense could be and I sensed that we were not too far from getting there.

If a new OC comes in with a run-first, "ground and pound" mentality, or even if that new OC is a passing guy, he may not be up to speed on the whole philosophy or emerging chemistry that was developing with Arians and that will inevitably set things back anywhere from a little to a lot. And if the new guy is really an old-fashioned "Steeler Football" disciple, well then I think that would throw the whole thing into a tailspin because he'd alienate Ben as well as many of the receivers we have and I think that would do more harm than good.

Like I said, maybe we can do better than Arians and I hope we do.
But I think that whatever was emerging was close to becoming a productive thing and it's a shame that no one had the patience to let it play out.
I could understand the rush to change if we were dealing with losing seasons, but Arians oversaw five straight winning seasons and two trips to the big dance, so it's not as if we were some sort of laughingstock. and and I just hope that pushing Arians out the door isn't going to screw up something that I think was very close to becoming a reality.

LVSteelersfan
01-20-2012, 11:12 PM
cXSOD1N5lR4&feature=related

My sentiments exactly. Hopefully this means no more 3rd and short in the red zone with an empty backfield set that gets Ben sacked more often than not. Don't even tell me that is Ben's fault. That is where the FB should be in the game with some play action and a pass to Heath Miller in the end zone. He is just as good as Gronkowski any day of the week. They just don't use him.

Rockonsteel
01-20-2012, 11:14 PM
I don't think anyone is doomed to failure nor do I think that Arians was the only man for the job.

The problems with the offense - besides the injuries (which was no small issue), isn't just about Arians and his play calling.

First of all, Ben is as much a culprit in all of this as anyone and for a couple of reasons. When they handed him is 100 mil, they basically told him that he's "The Man" and with his ego, he took that to heart. He wants to run things and even though he can't write up the playbook, he often changes plays to suit his whims and he made it clear to everyone that he wants to throw the ball rather than hand it to running backs. With Ben's abilities and creativity, I can't say that I'd argue with that.

Secondly, it's no secret that Ben has been flying lazy circles around Arians for the past couple of years lobbying him to do more in the way of a passing game and in Arians Ben found an ally who wanted more passing too (so do I). At some point, Arians decided to make that happen and he's been trying to change the whole "Steeler Football" image around to become more of an offensive powerhouse because with Ben, we have the capability to be just that.

The problem is that you don't take decades worth of philosophy and identity and turn the whole thing around in one or two seasons. It's a lot more than just drawing up a bunch of pass plays and having everyone memorize them. To be really successful in that regard requires a different mindset and in some cases, different players with different skill-sets. Add to that the fact that he's had to try to do all of this while losing a number one receiver and having basically a bunch of rookies and second-year receivers along with limited talent at the tight end position to work with.

My point in all of this is that the entire process of turning this team into a pass-first operation takes time and I believe that we were actually making strides to that end. The injuries slowed things down considerably as did the newbie talent, but I saw signs of what this offense could be and I sensed that we were not too far from getting there.

If a new OC comes in with a run-first, "ground and pound" mentality, or even if that new OC is a passing guy, he may not be up to speed on the whole philosophy or emerging chemistry that was developing with Arians and that will inevitably set things back anywhere from a little to a lot. And if the new guy is really an old-fashioned "Steeler Football" disciple, well then I think that would throw the whole thing into a tailspin because he'd alienate Ben as well as many of the receivers we have and I think that would do more harm than good.

But I think that whatever was emerging was close to becoming a productive thing and it's a shame that no one had the patience to let it play out.
I could understand the rush to change if we were dealing with losing seasons, but Arians oversaw five straight winning seasons and two trips to the big dance, so it's not as if we were some sort of laughingstock. and and I just hope that pushing Arians out the door isn't going to screw up something that I think was very close to becoming a reality.

Yeah, they were that close to "sky's the limit", "so much potential", "offense can be great" :rolleyes:....you sound Ben at the press conference following the Denver debacle. And, that sounded like, ":blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:". Well, now that the albatross is gone, maybe we'll really start to see that.

One or two years? Try more like five years. And yes, there were SB trips in that time, but it wasn't because of this prolific, high powered offensive scoring machine. If the defense is starting to break down, it's from carrying Arians' pathetic offense the last five years.

Oh, and your boy Bruce FAILED MISERABLY at making this an offensive powerhouse.

Rockon

ricardisimo
01-20-2012, 11:14 PM
That's OK.

I'll just hang back and wait to see how this all shakes out.

If it turns out that a new OC is all we need, I'll be the first to own up to it and I'll be right here telling everyone how right they were. :hug:

We got similar guarantees (not from you, but others) regarding the Bob Ligashesky firing. The mea culpas never came. I doubt very much - even if we are top-5 in points and/or yards next season - that you or anyone else will be owning up to all of this nonsense.

jiminpa
01-20-2012, 11:20 PM

So you are acknowledging that it wasn't working, but then conclude that what we need to do to make it work is keeping doing what isn't working.

With two very good RBs, two excellent TEs, the best receiving corps in the NFL and a QB whose best natural ability heaving the ball down the field while running for his life, what could possibly be missing to make BA's video game philosophy work? Or maybe it's the plays, the playcalling, the lack of player development and lack of preparation. Maybe it's the OC playing Old Maid at a chess match.

tony hipchest
01-20-2012, 11:36 PM

thanks for giving time to the honest, well thought out response. :drink:

i hope people realize that it was the rooneys who forced bruce out of a job and not the fans. if the fans had a teeny bit of influence, i am fine with that, because steelerfans are widely regarded as the best, most die hard and knowledgable in all of football. im basing this on worldwide perception as opposed to just waxing poetic. either way, thats besides the point.

the point of what you have offered up is it seems ben and arians had a different vision and direction they wanted to take the team. that is all fine and dandy as long as ones vision doesnt differ from the core philosophy of the owner/CEO/Prez/Boss etc. (a philosophy that the majority of the PAYING fans have become accustomed to and love)

ben may be the best talent we've ever had at the position and may be the richest player in steelers history, but does anyone really think the man who has had the team in his family for 80 years, is just going to hand over the reigns to a daredevil manwh0re and his golf buddy coordinator?

like many of us, art II has been pissed since watching our offense struggle and piss away scoring opportunities vs the cardinals in '08 SB.

the OWNER clearly gave bruce arians advice and directive. since that point ben with his immediate supervisors approval and blessing have pretty much ignored such advice, thumbed their nose at the OWNER and made a mockery of his influence.

in the world i live in, that shit just doesnt fly, no matter how successful one is.

ben and arians can thump their chest like charlie sheen and cry #WINNING all they want, but we all know what the end result of that is.

Wallace108
01-21-2012, 12:26 AM
Outstanding post, hipcheese. :applaudit:

Bayz101
01-21-2012, 02:21 AM

i hope people realize that it was the rooneys who forced bruce out of a job and not the fans. if the fans had a teeny bit of influence, i am fine with that, because steelerfans are widely regarded as the best, most die hard and knowledgable in all of football. im basing this on worldwide perception as opposed to just waxing poetic. either way, thats besides the point.

the point of what you have offered up is it seems ben and arians had a different vision and direction they wanted to take the team. that is all fine and dandy as long as ones vision doesnt differ from the core philosophy of the owner/CEO/Prez/Boss etc. (a philosophy that the majority of the PAYING fans have become accustomed to and love)

ben may be the best talent we've ever had at the position and may be the richest player in steelers history, but does anyone really think the man who has had the team in his family for 80 years, is just going to hand over the reigns to a daredevil manwh0re and his golf buddy coordinator?

like many of us, art II has been pissed since watching our offense struggle and piss away scoring opportunities vs the cardinals in '08 SB.

the OWNER clearly gave bruce arians advice and directive. since that point ben with his immediate supervisors approval and blessing have pretty much ignored such advice, thumbed their nose at the OWNER and made a mockery of his influence.

in the world i live in, that shit just doesnt fly, no matter how successful one is.

ben and arians can thump their chest like charlie sheen and cry #WINNING all they want, but we all know what the end result of that is.

:applaudit::hatsoff:

MACH1
01-21-2012, 02:28 AM
Well I've been down with a sinus infection so I caught this wonderful news very late. However after feeling like sh*it for a few days I now feel so much better.

It's clear what went down. The Airhead didn't retire voluntarily. He was forced out by Art Rooney. Do you remember when Art Rooney said this; "I think Mike and I certainly agreed coming off the season that we need to run the ball more consistently to get to where we want to get to."

Well it seems that Airhead Arians the Moron and I'm just along for the ride Tomlin didn't take Art seriously.

Big Mistake. I'll bet Airhead was given the choice, resign or be fired.

Well now little Mikee Tomlin knows who really runs the Steelers. Let's see who gets chosen as OC. I'll bet it will be the Rooney's choice and not either Tomlin's or Big Ben's.

Little Mikee better shape up his act up or he may end up following the Airhead out the door. Enough of this pass happy BS.

Well this is just the best news I could have had. It was getting so that I couldn't watch the games any longer because of the Airhead. I've always hated the pass happy, gambling, high risk, high fail crap offense that the Airhead was doing. I thought it was stupid when Chargers did it when Fouts was their QB. I hated when the Cardiac Cardinals did it and it made me physically sick to see what the Airhead did with the Steelers.

I've been a Stillers fan for 49 years. I say my first game in 1968. Until this news I was very seriously thinking of giving them up because of what the Airhead and what he had done to my team. It's why I had stopped posting as much.

Now I feel so much better in spite of the sinus infection. I now have hope the Steelers will go back to being the team that I've loved so long.

Thank you Dan and Art Rooney.

Keep posting articles I get a lot news/updates from here.
Oh and Thanks.

Kanata-Steeler
01-21-2012, 04:35 AM
All I can honestly say is, BA's retirement was "almost" official a couple years back, after we won SB XLIII
I wish he would have been forcibly RETIRED back then. ! :mad:
ahh Well, better late than never. :applaudit:

That is GREAT news, and congrats' to Bruce's retirement ! but oh wait,
oh mee, oh my, with a new OC, I guess there'll be NO "special" favors for Ben soon. ???
:)
actually, Ben will have some "real" competition now, 'Cause with every "new" OC they ALWAYS bring in a good "new" backup QB.
yep, next couple years will sure be interesting.

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2012, 06:57 AM
Dulac of the P-G walks through the wreckage - AJR II overruled Tomlin and Arians contract was not renewed after Tomlin had said repeatedly Arians was coming back

Arians' career takes bizarre turn:chuckle:

Bruce Arians' tenure as Steelers offensive coordinator has come to a sudden if not strange end, with the team announcing his retirement in a one-paragraph statement that was as frosty as the final days of his sometimes stormy five-year career...

Less than a week after Arians told people he intended to return for the 2012 season, the Steelers said Friday that he has decided to retire -- a bizarre turn of events that began with the team's decision to not renew his contract, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

That decision appears to have come from team president Art Rooney II, even though coach Mike Tomlin told Arians several times since the playoff loss in Denver that he wanted him to return next season....

According to sources inside and outside the organization, Tomlin had told Arians on several occasions since the end of the season that he wanted him to return in 2012 -- once even telling him in front of other coaches. And Arians had told other people, including his assistants, he intended to return in 2012.

But, earlier this week, after he returned to his offseason home in Greensboro, Ga., Arians was told his one-year contract would not be renewed -- a decision that appeared to come from someone higher than Tomlin, sources said.,,,

Tomlin will probably have to go outside the organization to hire a coordinator.

No matter which coordinator is hired, his most important job will be to work with -- and, perhaps more important, co-exist with -- Roethlisberger, who was very close to Arians and is said to be upset that he will not be back.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12021/1205041-66-0.stm

This has been building for years - sounds like Art Rooney is so distressed about the offense that he will force Tomlin to make an outside hire as the new OC - hopefully Ben is at a stage of his life where he will not react adversely to his enabler getting canned and battle the new OC if that is an outside replacement

Whodis
01-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Is Ron Cook on suicide watch?

Kingmagyar
01-21-2012, 08:51 AM
If Bruce only had this book.

Kingmagyar
01-21-2012, 09:07 AM
II'm in favor of BA leaving because I'm just tired of having over 300 yards of offense and being in some dogfight 10-7 or some other low score. I'm tired of delay of game or time outs to prevent delay of games, and tired of bad Red Zone offense. They not only squander touchdowns but also have lost field goal opportunities. They need to hire a real genius in the red zone.

One word of warning though. Ben had his worst year of his life in 2006 when Whisenhunt was on him hard to advance as a QB. Ben stated later he does not respond to yelling very well.

TRH
01-21-2012, 09:09 AM

When was Ben "crying" and "thumping his chest"??

Steel Peon
01-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Wow......is it easier to breathe now, or is it just me? Everyone's going to point to '08 as a defining moment for Arians, and say that's why this will be a huge loss........EXCEPT.....for every other year. I don't have time for a really long rant with lots and lots of examples, so I'll just say that in '08 we enjoyed a championship year due to the success of the 2 min offense, which takes the play calling away from "Vanilla" Arians.......ain't that something?

mesaSteeler
01-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Is Ron Cook on suicide watch?

Of course because now Cook has to work for a living. I suspect that Airhead was Cook's source. All Cook had to do to write an article was call up Airhead for a few insider tidbits. That's why Cook is throwing a hissy fit now. The new OC may not be as accommodating and Cook will have to write his own articles. I bet this fool Cook will be one of the loudest voices in condemnation next year when on particular offensive play miscarries. If I still lived in the Burg I'd boycott that fools radio show.

mesaSteeler
01-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Keep posting articles I get a lot news/updates from here.
Oh and Thanks.

:hatsoff::hatsoff:

TRH
01-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Of course because now Cook has to work for a living. I suspect that Airhead was Cook's source. All Cook had to do to write an article was call up Airhead for a few insider tidbits. That's why Cook is throwing a hissy fit now. The new OC may not be as accommodating and Cook will have to write his own articles. I bet this fool Cook will be one of the loudest voices in condemnation next year when on particular offensive play miscarries. If I still lived in the Burg I'd boycott that fools radio show.

Yeah, he better "cool" it. The decisions' been made and its final and he still has to a job to do and work with this team/write about it. He's certainly not going to get any favors beyond whats necessary acting like this.

6RingsAndCounting
01-21-2012, 10:16 AM
One word of warning though. Ben had his worst year of his life in 2006 when Whisenhunt was on him hard to advance as a QB. Ben stated later he does not respond to yelling very well.

That drives me crazy, you're a 100+ million dollar Quarterback. Grow a set, and take constructive criticism, quit being so soft shelled. I'm so sick of hearing about how you have to handle these QB's because their fragile.

FanSince72
01-21-2012, 10:20 AM
...but does anyone really think the man who has had the team in his family for 80 years, is just going to hand over the reigns to a daredevil manwh0re and his golf buddy coordinator?

And THAT hits the nail squarely on the head! :thumbsup:

I think that the Arians / Roethlisberger "vision" was a good one.
But if they succeeded, it would have rendered the Rooneys more as spectators than owners and that simply couldn't be allowed to happen.

Of course the Rooney's have to realize that when they handed Ben a hundred million bucks, they basically told him that he was "The Man" and that a guy with Ben's ego would take that to mean that he was handed the keys to the organization.

By pressuring Arians out (and I DO agree that he was asked to step down) they sent a message to Ben that it was THEIR team, not his.
The sad part in all this is that I really think that Ben / Arians had the right idea but the politics was just too strong to overcome.

I just hope that the Rooney's realize that they were onto something and don't try to throw all of it away by going back to "Steeler Football" just to demonstrate their power.

mesaSteeler
01-21-2012, 10:22 AM
That drives me crazy, you're a 100+ million dollar Quarterback. Grow a set, and take constructive criticism, quit being so soft shelled. I'm so sick of hearing about how you have to handle these QB's because their fragile.

Damn straight! Little boy Ben has to grow up and act like a man. It's not all about him all the time. I wonder how much the constant coddling Ben got from Airhead contributed to his off the field screw ups. The close and unprofessional friendship between Airhead and Ben made impossible for Airhead to ever discipline Ben. Maintaining discipline is part of a coach's job description.

FanSince72
01-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Yeah, they were that close to "sky's the limit", "so much potential", "offense can be great" :rolleyes:....you sound Ben at the press conference following the Denver debacle. And, that sounded like, ":blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:". Well, now that the albatross is gone, maybe we'll really start to see that.

One or two years? Try more like five years. And yes, there were SB trips in that time, but it wasn't because of this prolific, high powered offensive scoring machine. If the defense is starting to break down, it's from carrying Arians' pathetic offense the last five years.

Oh, and your boy Bruce FAILED MISERABLY at making this an offensive powerhouse.

Rockon

First of all, he's not "my boy" and secondly the job wasn't finished.
For over four decades, the Steelers have been known for a running game.

You don't turn that into a pass-first operation overnight.

I know that I come off as being an Arians fan and to some extent I am.
But I am defending him not so much because I really liked his style and ability (both are debatable) but because I see a work in progress and I think that too many people overlook that because they're not seeing instant results.

Everything is a situation.

And to see Arians and his chemistry with Ben only in some sort of "black and white" or, "working / not-working" way is oversimplifying things to the point of absurdity. Whether what he / they were doing was the right thing isn't the point. The point is that whatever they were doing wasn't finished yet and I think it's a shame that we'll never know what it could have become.

jiminpa
01-21-2012, 10:37 AM
And THAT hits the nail squarely on the head! :thumbsup:

I think that the Arians / Roethlisberger "vision" was a good one.
But if they succeeded, it would have rendered the Rooneys more as spectators than owners and that simply couldn't be allowed to happen.

Of course the Rooney's have to realize that when they handed Ben a hundred million bucks, they basically told him that he was "The Man" and that a guy with Ben's ego would take that to mean that he was handed the keys to the organization.

By pressuring Arians out (and I DO agree that he was asked to step down) they sent a message to Ben that it was THEIR team, not his.
The sad part in all this is that I really think that Ben / Arians had the right idea but the politics was just too strong to overcome.

I just hope that the Rooney's realize that they were onto something and don't try to throw all of it away by going back to "Steeler Football" just to demonstrate their power.Nice tale. Now let's look a little at reality. In five years Ben Roethlisberger will be either retired or washed up and the Rooneys will still own the Steelers. The offense is as good a match as Arians will ever get it, and it still doesn't score. Neither Arians, Tomlin or Ben understand such football fundamentals as "when you run out of time the game is over" and the meaning of down and distance. The first time he went empty set on third and two should have been the last play he ever called for the Steelers. The fifth time he called it Tomlin should have been fired on the spot for allowing his team to be made a clown show.

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2012, 10:41 AM
I think that the Arians / Roethlisberger "vision" was a good one. But if they succeeded, it would have rendered the Rooneys more as spectators than owners and that simply couldn't be allowed to happen...

I enjoy reading your posts and the thought you put into them, but are you seriously contending that an ownership that has hired 3 head coaches in the last 4 decades terminates coaches because the Rooneys want the glory?

Not everyone sees this as Arians being a victim of "politics" and thta offensive prosperity was just around the corner - instead this post on espn.com notes the offense was regressing to a neighborhood populated with mediocrities and it was time for a change

There was no excuse for the Steelers to rank 12th in scoring in 2009 and 2010. And there was really no excuse for them to rank 21st this past season.

Pittsburgh only averaged 20.3 points per game this season and scored over 30 points three times. The Steelers might not have as much offensive talent as Green Bay or New Orleans, but they should be scoring as many points as Detroit (29.6-point average).

Instead, Pittsburgh finished among the dysfunctional offenses in terms of scoring. Of the 10 offenses that averaged fewer points than the Steelers, six had starting quarterbacks benched or injured for a significant amount of time (Arizona, Denver, Washington, Indianapolis, Kansas City and St. Louis). The other four offenses below Pittsburgh all endured seasons with struggling quarterbacks: Seattle's Tarvaris Jackson, Tampa Bay's Josh Freeman, Jacksonville's Blaine Gabbert and Cleveland's Colt McCoy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

Buddha Bus
01-21-2012, 10:45 AM

But I am defending him not so much because I really liked his style and ability (both are debatable) but because I see a work in progress and I think that too many people overlook that because they're not seeing instant results.

And to see Arians and his chemistry with Ben only in some sort of "black and white" or, "working / not-working" way is oversimplifying things to the point of absurdity. Whether what he / they were doing was the right thing isn't the point. The point is that whatever they were doing wasn't finished yet and I think it's a shame that we'll never know what it could have become.

He was not successful in six years at Temple as a head coach and was fired from the Cleveland Browns after two seasons with them as offensive coordinator. Couple those with the time he was here and I have one question. Exactly how long were we supposed to wait for his "offensive genius" to reach it's fruition and begin to show actual results on the field?

We're already talking over a decade of sampling of this guy. I'd like to see a fluid offense that can score consistently and achieve something besides individual stats sometime before I die of old age (I'm 40).

FanSince72
01-21-2012, 10:50 AM
I enjoy reading your posts and the thought you put into them, but are you seriously contending that an ownership that has hired 3 head coaches in the last 4 decades terminates coaches because the Rooneys want the glory?

Not everyone sees this as Arians being a victim of "politics" and thta offensive prosperity was just around the corner - instead this post on espn.com notes the offense was regressing to a neighborhood populated with mediocrities and it was time for a change

There was no excuse for the Steelers to rank 12th in scoring in 2009 and 2010. And there was really no excuse for them to rank 21st this past season.

Pittsburgh only averaged 20.3 points per game this season and scored over 30 points three times. The Steelers might not have as much offensive talent as Green Bay or New Orleans, but they should be scoring as many points as Detroit (29.6-point average).

Instead, Pittsburgh finished among the dysfunctional offenses in terms of scoring. Of the 10 offenses that averaged fewer points than the Steelers, six had starting quarterbacks benched or injured for a significant amount of time (Arizona, Denver, Washington, Indianapolis, Kansas City and St. Louis). The other four offenses below Pittsburgh all endured seasons with struggling quarterbacks: Seattle's Tarvaris Jackson, Tampa Bay's Josh Freeman, Jacksonville's Blaine Gabbert and Cleveland's Colt McCoy.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

Not "glory" -- control.

I think they saw that the Ben / Arians connection was leaning too much in the direction of running things and making policy themselves and that can't happen.

If the employees start making decisions that the business owner ought to be making, that always ends badly. Pushing Arians out the door was just their way of letting everyone know just who owns the team and who signs the checks.

FanSince72
01-21-2012, 11:03 AM
We got similar guarantees (not from you, but others) regarding the Bob Ligashesky firing. The mea culpas never came. I doubt very much - even if we are top-5 in points and/or yards next season - that you or anyone else will be owning up to all of this nonsense.

I can't speak for anyone else but if I'm wrong about something I'll be the first to admit it and you can take that to the bank.

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Not "glory" -- control.

I think they saw that the Ben / Arians connection was leaning too much in the direction of running things and making policy themselves and that can't happen.

If the employees start making decisions that the business owner ought to be making, that always ends badly. Pushing Arians out the door was just their way of letting everyone know just who owns the team and who signs the checks.

The Rooneys have a 40 year track record of giving the coaching staff a lot of control - the only time I recall ownership dictating a termination until now was when Noll was forced to dump assistants after an abysmal 5-11 record in 1988. As examples of coaches being given that control, in 1999 Rooney relative and Steelers GM Tom Donahoe was in a power struggle with Cowher (who was coming off a 6-10 season) and Donahoe was the one who was let go; and patriarch Art Rooney wanted to draft Dan Marino in 1983 but was ignored by Noll.

Given that track record, for Art Rooney II to step in and dictate the termination of Arians is more a reflection on the chronic under achievements of this particular offensive coordinator than any indication that Arians represented some sort of threat to the Rooneys role with the team that required AJR II to morph into a Dan Snyder/Jerry Jones type of owner - if the offense was performing Arians would still be the OC regardless of whether or not it was the type of offense the Rooneys preferred

Rockonsteel
01-21-2012, 11:46 AM
The Rooneys have a 40 year track record of giving the coaching staff a lot of control - the only time I recall ownership dictating a termination until now was when Noll was forced to dump assistants after an abysmal 5-11 record in 1988. As examples of coaches being given that control, in 1999 Rooney relative and Steelers GM Tom Donahoe was in a power struggle with Cowher (who was coming off a 6-10 season) and Donahoe was the one who was let go; and patriarch Art Rooney wanted to draft Dan Marino in 1983 but was ignored by Noll.

Given that track record, for Art Rooney II to step in and dictate the termination of Arians is more a reflection on the chronic under achievements of this particular offensive coordinator than any indication that Arians represented some sort of threat to the Rooneys role with the team that required AJR II to morph into a Dan Snyder/Jerry Jones type of owner - if the offense was performing Arians would still be the OC regardless of whether or not it was the type of offense the Rooneys preferred

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

Great post!

Rockon

Steelerfreak58
01-21-2012, 11:51 AM
He is gone because he couldn't score TDs and he couldn't manage the clock worth shit. The offense would be firing on all cylinders then all of a sudden look like they couldn't find there ass from a a hole in the ground. He did absolutely nothing to adjust at halftime take a look at the games last year and especially this year we did horrible scoring points in the third and fourth quarters.

He was given a shit load of talent on offense and he didn't use it wisely. The bubble screen was called like clock work and it never worked. Those long bombs worked occasionally but only after some successful running and mix of short passing opened it up.

I really believe his "retirement" is a blessing for the team and organization.

Rockonsteel
01-21-2012, 11:57 AM

Overnight? It's been 5 years. How long does it take? How long do we have to wait to see this "offensive powerhouse" that Bruce was so diligently constructing? Because so far, all we've gotten is offensive ineptitude when it comes to putting points on the board.

Do yourself a favor and go back and take a good a look at Atlanta Dan's post #153. That says it all. There's nothing in that post that can be disputed. Progress is not a word I would use when describing this offense the last 5 years.

But, if we don't agree on anything else, we can certainly agree on this. Bruce Arians is most definitely finished. And not a moment too soon. In fact, it's been a long time coming.

Rockon

ricardisimo
01-21-2012, 02:42 PM

Absolutely. You would think we were the Redskins, with the Rooneys pulling the trigger in the middle of the season year-to-year the way FS72 puts it. These are not power-hungry individuals. They put their time and effort into hiring good people at the top posts, and then largely leave them alone.

FS, you made similar statements that I took as creatively revisionist regarding this year's "paper" defense as compared to "truly dominant" Steeler defenses of years past. I'll ask you the same thing here: Can you give us some examples to illustrate what you are claiming? Any tidbits to support a Rooney family nervous about losing "control" of their team would be immensely helpful.

FanSince72
01-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Overnight? It's been 5 years. How long does it take? How long do we have to wait to see this "offensive powerhouse" that Bruce was so diligently constructing? Because so far, all we've gotten is offensive ineptitude when it comes to putting points on the board.

Do yourself a favor and go back and take a good a look at Atlanta Dan's post #153. That says it all. There's nothing in that post that can be disputed. Progress is not a word I would use when describing this offense the last 5 years.

But, if we don't agree on anything else, we can certainly agree on this. Bruce Arians is most definitely finished. And not a moment too soon. In fact, it's been a long time coming.

Rockon

5 years?

Hardly.

This whole passing thing only really got started a couple of years ago when we began to acquire some talent at WR besides Hines and whatever "lone deep threat" we had at the moment.

tony hipchest
01-21-2012, 03:30 PM
5 years?

Hardly.

This whole passing thing only really got started a couple of years ago when we began to acquire some talent at WR besides Hines and whatever "lone deep threat" we had at the moment.in 2006 we had hines, santonio holmes (best wr in that years draft class) and nate washington, who was ATLEAST a top three #3 wr in the league (if stats such as touchdowns, receptions and yards mean anything to you). they also drafted willie reid in the 3rd round that year as well.

make no mistake, THAT is when it began, whaile arians was still wr coach.

5 years is too long in todays nfl to impliment a masterplan. thats just the way it is. look no further than the other 31 teams for proof.

FanSince72
01-21-2012, 06:17 PM
in 2006 we had hines, santonio holmes (best wr in that years draft class) and nate washington, who was ATLEAST a top three #3 wr in the league (if stats such as touchdowns, receptions and yards mean anything to you). they also drafted willie reid in the 3rd round that year as well.

5 years is too long in todays nfl to impliment a masterplan. thats just the way it is. look no further than the other 31 teams for proof.

Yes, but a real passing team consists of more than just two wideouts and a slot receiver.

Big time passing teams also have an O-line designed for a passing game, a stable of tight ends, a few extra wideouts as well as some quick backs who can catch passes, none of which we've really begun to acquire until the last few seasons.

I think the biggest problem with Arians and the offense is that he, along with Ben and the receivers all wanted to go in that direction in a big way but the organization itself was still stuck in the yesteryear of "Steeler Football" and didn't really want to commit to that. So what we've had instead is this sort of weird hybrid offense that was built for the run but wanted to pass and neither was very successful.

jiminpa
01-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Yes, but a real passing team consists of more than just two wideouts and a slot receiver.

Big time passing teams also have an O-line designed for a passing game, a stable of tight ends, a few extra wideouts as well as some quick backs who can catch passes, none of which we've really begun to acquire until the last few seasons.

I think the biggest problem with Arians and the offense is that he, along with Ben and the receivers all wanted to go in that direction in a big way but the organization itself was still stuck in the yesteryear of "Steeler Football" and didn't really want to commit to that. So what we've had instead is this sort of weird hybrid offense that was built for the run but wanted to pass and neither was very successful.A team without a FB is not built for the run. It's funny, I've heard arguments that the running game is stalling because we have a pass blocking line now. What we really have is a QB that requires 10 seconds to throw a football, and a line that often gives him 6 and then gets blasted for only giving him twice what any other line in the league can. If BR would have accepted some coaching when he had a real coach he could get rid of ball in 3-4 seconds like everyone else in the league and then he'd have his 10 seconds when the surprise go-for-it-all bomb was called and no one expected it.

Sixburgher
01-21-2012, 06:40 PM
What we really have is a QB that requires 10 seconds to throw a football, and a line that often gives him 6 and then gets blasted for only giving him twice what any other line in the league can.

Six seconds? Put down the crack pipe. The offensive line stinks. It's stunk for years now.

jiminpa
01-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Six seconds? Put down the crack pipe. The offensive line stinks. It's stunk for years now.Yeah, because it's never the coach or the blocking schemes, until it's LeBeau, then he is too old and needs to be run out on a rail.

The offensive line, when manned by the starters and healthy is pretty average to above average, but it hasn't mattered, because it's not possible to give BR enough time to not have to scramble, since there are no plays in the playbook designed to just move the chains.

6RingsAndCounting
01-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Yeah, because it's never the coach or the blocking schemes, until it's LeBeau, then he is too old and needs to be run out on a rail.

The offensive line, when manned by the starters and healthy is pretty average to above average, but it hasn't mattered, because it's not possible to give BR enough time to not have to scramble, since there are no plays in the playbook designed to just move the chains.
are we watching the same offensive line?

tony hipchest
01-21-2012, 08:19 PM

I think the biggest problem with Arians and the offense is that he, along with Ben and the receivers all wanted to go in that direction in a big way but the organization itself was still stuck in the yesteryear of "Steeler Football" and didn't really want to commit to that. So what we've had instead is this sort of weird hybrid offense that was built for the run but wanted to pass and neither was very successful.

we were "stuck" in this weird hybrid offense because bruce arians has a weird hybrid brain :muhaha: "that'll trick em".

the 1st part in bold is really just empty rhetoric.

1. other than the patriots, name me one big time passing team that has a "stabl"e of tight ends"??? can you name them individually? most teams have 3. we have heath miller who is great and we had matt spaeth who was the 2nd highest ranked of his draft class to greg olson. he shoulda been a great weapon but arians turned him into an epic fail.

2. o-linemen have been playing line usually 4 years in college. its pretty fair to say when youre learning to be a lineman, you are either gonna run block or pass block ALL the time. its not rocket science. run pass ratio in the nfl is easilly 60:40 either way. if a lineman cant do both they either dont belong or are poorly coached. ITS THEIR FREAKING JOB!

3. a few extra wide outs? what does this even mean? are their roster exemtions for these elite passing teams you speak of? anyways, weve had plenty in the past 5 years. holmes, reid, sweed, wallace, sanders, and brown (5 of those are fist 3 round picks).

4. was mendenhall not drafted 4 years ago in arians 2nd year. what about mewelde moore who was a receiving beast in minnesota. too bad arians still hasnt figured out how to get them the ball in space.

arians sucked. im glad he's gone, and i think ive heard every excuse that can be invented for his units "below the line" performance. :noidea:

he was insubordinate as well.

thankfully the the rooneys have more patience and leniancy than the fans, because in some cases their patience has paid off greatly (cowher in 04 & 05).

in the case with arians, it wasnt gonna happen. 5 more years from now is too late.

tony hipchest
01-21-2012, 08:32 PM
can anyone tell me if there was such a vehement defense of DC tim lewis after 2003 when he was canned?

the steelers were 6-10. the same defense went 15-1 the following season and won the superbowl in 2005.

same players. the only difference was dick lebeau who was a complete failure as HC and wasnt doing so hot as the DC of the buffalo bills.

:hunch:

Kanata-Steeler
01-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Its Official- Bruce Arians' Retarded:

Rooney was demanding a more powerful RUNNING Offense, for the last 2 years now, we all know that.
Without the "RUN", you won't have the "PASS", and vica-verca, err whatever.
Arians couldn't really deliver that, because he was one-sided, sort-of like only being able to use only one-side of his brain, but he more-or-less pretended he was "tricky" with his stoopid-ass plays, toss a coin, our Defense will save me anyway...

we're beaten this horse to death, but Arien's obviously could NOT finally deliver, what He was PAID to do, sooo Rooney "retired" him. -good !
:)

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2012, 08:43 PM
can anyone tell me if there was such a vehement defense of DC tim lewis after 2003 when he was canned?

the steelers were 6-10. the same defense went 15-1 the following season and won the superbowl in 2005.

same players. the only difference was dick lebeau who was a complete failure as HC and wasnt doing so hot as the DC of the buffalo bills.

:hunch:

The difference was Cowher had a pair and canned Lewis (as he had so many other underperforming coaches in the past) without having to be forced into it by the Rooney family

Tomlin pretending Captain Arians and his Titanic of an offensive scheme had just made a brief stop to pick up some ice fed the ongoing party line that the offense just needed a few more tweaks before its inevitable rise to surpass New Orleans, Green Bay, and New England

Sixburgher
01-21-2012, 08:53 PM
The difference was Cowher had a pair and canned Lewis (as he had so many other underperforming coaches in the past) without having to be forced into it by the Rooney family

Guess that explains the nine seasons he spent on Cowher's staff. Of course, there haven't been any 6-10 seasons for a while either.

Kanata-Steeler
01-21-2012, 09:03 PM

Tomlin pretending Captain Arians and his Titanic of an offensive scheme had just made a brief stop to pick up some ice fed the ongoing party line that the offense just needed a few more tweaks before its inevitable rise to surpass New Orleans, Green Bay, and New England

To that degree, yes, Tomlin should have canned Ariens a couple years back, when our "D" was still in it's #1PRIME-TIME slot, and got a "real" OC for our O-Line back then.
yep, and Rooney's eye is now on Mike Tomlin, and that's a good thing.
Are you gonna be the next "Noll", or the next "Gnome" Mike ?
Mike's challenge right now, is re-building a "complete" Offense with the right OC for our Offense, as LeBeau and our Defense has provenly achieved. The pieces are all here.
Tomlin's got the receivers, and he's got the RB's,..., now he just needs "The Right Stuff" OC. to make it happen.

Ahh man !!!, I can't wait for this next season. ... Bruce who ?!
:tt04:

Sixburgher
01-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Interesting blurb from Bouchette about Lewis, since my memory was a bit fuzzy about his firing.

"It reminds me of how Lewis was fired as the Steelers defensive coordinator after the 2003 season, not a good one for the 6-10 Steelers.

Lewis told everyone – and when I say everyone, I mean everyone – toward the end of that season and the first week after it that he thought he was going to be fired. He told people in the office and he told media people.

Bill Cowher, though, had no intention of firing him. Then he learned that Lewis was telling everyone he thought he was going to be fired. Cowher called Lewis into his office and asked him why he was saying such things. Lewis denied he said it, and then said he was joking around with one person about it. Cowher checked around and found out that indeed Lewis had said it to a lot more than one person and people did not take it as a joke.

So, Cowher obliged him and fired him. Cowher did it more because Lewis lied to him about it."

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/2890-the-saga-of-tim-lewis

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Guess that explains the nine seasons he spent on Cowher's staff. Of course, there haven't been any 6-10 seasons for a while either.

Lewis was not DC for 9 seasons and was promoted to DC in 2000 after Haslett left

The defense was 6th in points allowed in 2000 and 3rd in 2001; the defense then started to slide, dropping to 16th in points allowed in 2002 and 15th in 2003.

It only took two off years and Lewis was gone (after which point Lewis was hired by the Giants to be their DC in 2004 - think anyone is going to hire Arians?)

If that standard was applied by Tomlin then Arians would have been canned after 2009, which was when AJR II first started to go public with his concerns about the offense

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10015/1028435-66.stm

Instead the ownership had to finally force the issue after 2 more seasons of mediocre offensive performance - given his history of firing Kevin Gilbride, Ray Sherman, and Lewis, Cowher would have canned Arians long ago without needing ownership to force the issue

Sixburgher
01-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Lewis was not DC for 9 seasons and was promoted to DC in 2000 after Haslett left

The defense was 6th in points allowed in 2000 and 3rd in 2001; the defense then started to slide, dropping to 16th in points allowed in 2002 and 15th in 2003.

It only took two off years and Lewis was gone (after which point Lewis was hired by the Giants to be their DC in 2004 - think anyone is going to hire Arians?)

If that standard was applied by Tomlin then Arians would have been canned after 2009, which was when AJR II first started to go public with his concerns about the offense

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10015/1028435-66.stm

Instead the ownership had to finally force the issue after 2 more seasons of mediocre offensive performance - given his history of firing Kevin Gilbride, Ray Sherman, and Lewis, Cowher would have canned Arians long ago without needing ownership to force the issue

Defensive performance apparently had little to do with Lewis' firing; see my post above.

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Defensive performance apparently had little to do with Lewis' firing; see my post above.

Thanks for the link - I acknowledge my error :drink:

The one constant is that Ron Cook was displeased with the Lewis firing as well

Lewis' firing makes no sense

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04007/258790-87.stm

ricardisimo
01-21-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm sure it didn't hurt. Would he have fired a guy presiding over the league's #1 D?

Steelboy84
01-22-2012, 05:23 PM
:applaudit: :applaudit: :thumbsup: :drink: :tt03:

xbroughneck
01-22-2012, 07:13 PM

First post nailed the hell out of it.

:applaudit::tt03::applaudit::tt03:

tony hipchest
01-22-2012, 09:24 PM
in 2006 we had hines, santonio holmes (best wr in that years draft class) and nate washington, who was ATLEAST a top three #3 wr in the league (if stats such as touchdowns, receptions and yards mean anything to you). they also drafted willie reid in the 3rd round that year as well.

Originally Posted by Sixburgher
Soooo, Arians started to influence Steelers drafts as a WR coach? Yeah, okay.

is that what i said?