PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the NFL Owners.

Livinginthe past
06-30-2006, 06:09 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/michael_silver/06/29/open.mike/index.html

Im pretty sure alot of people will be p*ssed in here about the Rooney's ranking.

Still its something to read, and rest assured nobody takes it seriously - its only SI.

NM

tony hipchest
06-30-2006, 06:15 PM
i read this today. pretty bunk. i really dont know what they were basing their rankings off of but im thinking it was the owners position ofn the forbes 500 list. (the richer an owner is the better he is) i dont think it had much to do with the actual organizations they run.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Dan Snyder at 3 thats just a joke. So what he spends alot of money. The Redskins havn't done anything since he has been the owner. What do they have like 1 playoff win.

DIESELMAN
06-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Wow!!!........I can see Kraft being up there I also thought as much as the Rooneys have done for football they would at least be in the top 5. Snyder, Jones and McNair??? who you know and who you blow I guess.....Money talks and real owners walk???

Hines86Ward
06-30-2006, 06:45 PM
The Rooney should be higher. And I actually think the Browns GM Randy Lerner should also be a lil bit higher, at least in the Top 20

CantStop85
06-30-2006, 07:57 PM
But the numbers don't lie: From the start of free agency in 1994 through 2005, the Bengals, out of the 28 franchises who've existed that long (excluding the Jaguars, Panthers, reformed Browns and Texans), rank 27th in actual cash spending with $747 million paid out -- ahead of only the Cardinals at $735 million.
I'm not arguing Mike Brown being 30th because he certainly deserves it, but wouldn't having a consistent winning team be a better indicator of a good owner than the amount of cash that they spend?

tony hipchest
06-30-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm not arguing Mike Brown being 30th because he certainly deserves it, but wouldn't having a consistent winning team be a better indicator of a good owner than the amount of cash that they spend? you would think. but the bengals havent been a consistant winning team now have they?

1 playoff appearance in 15 years. thats right there with the saints and cardinals and worse than the browns.

CantStop85
06-30-2006, 08:45 PM
you would think. but the bengals havent been a consistant winning team now have they?

1 playoff appearance in 15 years. thats right there with the saints and cardinals and worse than the browns.
Like I said, I wasn't arguing Mike Brown being 30th, that's right about where I'd put him too. But, I mean if they're basing the rest of these rankings on money, they've got it all wrong.

tony hipchest
06-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Like I said, I wasn't arguing Mike Brown being 30th, that's right about where I'd put him too. But, I mean if they're basing the rest of these rankings on money, they've got it all wrong. well if it was based on money and profitability the rooneys might be rated lower than 10th, maybe as low as 20th, but im not sure exactly where they rank as far as pulling in revenues. regardless the article is pretty bogus. it is well known the rooneys are one of the best ownership groups in the league and have been that way for about 35 years. i think this article is based on profitablity and nothing else.

PisnNapalm
06-30-2006, 09:07 PM
How the hell can Jeff Lurie be higher than Rooney? What a crock of crap.

silver & black
06-30-2006, 09:59 PM
You guys pay way too much attention to this idiot.

How do you think I feel? Al Davis is ranked #25?

I realize that a lot of you, and the NFL in general, have no love for Al Davis but, as an owner he is great. If the criteria for these rankings were based soley on what these owners feel, think, and do for their teams, the Rooneys and Al Davis would be in the top 3.

Their isn't too many people that are left in the NFL that have done more for the the Nfl and pro football than Al Davis and the Rooneys... no matter how you may feel about them on a personal level.

Take it with a grain of salt... it isn't worth any more consideration than that.

HburgXL06
06-30-2006, 11:00 PM
And best of all, both owners care deeply about two things: making money and winning, not necessarily in that order.

That is the line that sets the theme for the entire article. It goes back to what I said about how the media love a glitz and glamour team, full of drama and whatever else may come, no matter what. The cowboys are that and they showed that by payin for TO. The pats are that by the way they hung from Tom Brady's nutsack. The redskins are like that because they overpay for players. Consider this a compliment. It certifies that the Rooney's aren't just followin the trends of overpayin and overdramatizin all actions and sacrificin all morals and standards for money and success. Look at it as the Steelers stayin an old school stronghold that won't sacrifice principle for glamour, that won't ***** themselves out to the media for publicity, and that won't be countin as great by the media until once again (and over and over and over again) we prove that we are the team to beat and the team that wins.

I agree wit S&B, this ain't nothin to cry over.

BuFu

hardwork
07-01-2006, 12:47 AM
The pats are that by the way they hung from Tom Brady's nutsack. Consider this a compliment. It certifies that the Rooney's aren't just followin the trends of overpayin

How much room do the Patriots have under the cap, and how much room do the Steelers have?

Ambridge
07-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Michael Silver looks like the Adam Schein of Sports Illustrated.

Obviously he lives in the Tool Shed.

No way should Wayne Huizenga, Jeffrey Lurie, Bob McNair, Jerry Richardson and the Glazer family be rated ahead of the Rooney's.
TOTAL BS!

This kind of crap is why I don't read Sports Illustrated.
I did get the subscription when I purchased the Steelers Superbowl Package and I'm halfway tempted to call and tell them to stop sending the magazine even though I'm paid up.

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Lurie is about no.28 to 32 in my book. He can't keep classless players out of his locker room.
Rooney Is No.1 in my book. Kraft with patriots would have to be no.2.

ibleedburgundy
07-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Dan Snyder at 3 thats just a joke. So what he spends alot of money. The Redskins havn't done anything since he has been the owner. What do they have like 1 playoff win.

Actually, 2 playoff wins thank you very much (Lions in '99 and Tampa Bay this past year).

I agree with everyone here that Rooney deserves to be higher up on this list. The Rooneys, to me, are respectable owners much in the same mold as the late Jack Kent Cooke.

It's true, Dan Snyder was a horrible owner for the first few years and he deserved all the criticism he got for this time period. However, ever since Gibbs came back Snyder has been completely hands off while providing extra tools for coach Gibbs that other owners never thought possible. Rip on the Redskins all you want but their personel department has made some good moves over past two years (Washington, Taylor, Springs, Griffin, Portis, Moss, Cooley, Rabach, etc. ). We'll see how Brandon Lloyd and Randle El work out for us. I think they are both good players and will be an upgrade over our #2 and #3 WR's from last year.

CowherLover
07-06-2006, 09:04 AM
This article is a big steamy pile of :poop:. Just my opinion though.

Big D
07-06-2006, 10:23 AM
You guys pay way too much attention to this idiot.

How do you think I feel? Al Davis is ranked #25?

I realize that a lot of you, and the NFL in general, have no love for Al Davis but, as an owner he is great. If the criteria for these rankings were based soley on what these owners feel, think, and do for their teams, the Rooneys and Al Davis would be in the top 3.

Their isn't too many people that are left in the NFL that have done more for the the Nfl and pro football than Al Davis and the Rooneys... no matter how you may feel about them on a personal level.

Take it with a grain of salt... it isn't worth any more consideration than that.
I agree with alot of your posts s&b and i have alot of respect for you as a raider fan. But i do agree with this. I would actually put him lower then 25. Al does have a history of disrupting practices. And as a owner I do believe he could do more to generate revenue and look into getting a new stadium. I think his hands on approach has ruined this team. He needs to let Lombardi run the team. There drafts the past 10 years have been questionable. And al's choice of coaches has been suspect to say the least. Also how do you have all that bs with Collins and they sign Aaron Brooks.

silver & black
07-06-2006, 05:26 PM
I agree with alot of your posts s&b and i have alot of respect for you as a raider fan. But i do agree with this. I would actually put him lower then 25. Al does have a history of disrupting practices. And as a owner I do believe he could do more to generate revenue and look into getting a new stadium. I think his hands on approach has ruined this team. He needs to let Lombardi run the team. There drafts the past 10 years have been questionable. And al's choice of coaches has been suspect to say the least. Also how do you have all that bs with Collins and they sign Aaron Brooks.

Al has his flaws, I'll give you that but, he spares no expence in trying to put a winning team on the field. He may not always succed but, he is willing to spend for talent.

Al is hands on because Al knows football... better than any owner in the NFL. He was a head coach, and a good one. Al is only hands on when the Raiders are not winning. Gruden had free reign to do as he pleased because Gruden won... Al didn't "meddle" during that time. You didn't mention this but, I will, for the record. Al DID NOT get rid of Gruden, as is the popular opinion... Gruden WANTED OUT, so Al let him go to Tampa and got what he could out of the deal. Gruden wanted to be in Florida, close to his family... Al did not get rid of him!

I agree about the drafts but, this year's was solid... we drafted for need instead of the best 40 time. (an Al weakness... he is obsessed with speed)

The new stadium is not Al's fault... Oakland doesn't seem interested in building a new one. The Raiders are signed for 5 more years, I think. There is rumors of the Raiders moving out of Oakland after the contract is up to someplace close to the Oakland area that is willing to build a new stadium.

Aaron Brooks. Really, who else was available that wasn't injured or coming off a suspect injury? Who do you think we should have signed? Brooks gives us the mobility we lacked with KC, plus he has every bit as big of arm as KC. Andrew Walter is the future... Brooks is here for a veteran presence and to let Walter watch and learn a while longer.

Lombardi will probably never run the team... that will likely fall to Amy Trask. There is also talk of Al's son becoming more involved with the team.

Al Davis is a maverick, a rebel, and a trend setter. The Raiders were the first to start a Hispanic QB, the first to have a Hispanic Head Coach, and, I may be wrong here, the first to have a black QB... Vince Evans. The Raiders set the trend and paved the way for black Head Coaches in the NFL with the hiring of Art Shell. The Raiders were/are the first to have a woman in a position of power in the NFL... Amy Trask. Al Davis is color and gender blind. Al Davis was also instrumental in getting the CBA renewed this year.

Al Davis is not the devil... he is one of the most influential figures in all of pro sports.

Love him or hate him... the NFL would not be what it is today without him.

Yes, Al davis IS one of the best owners in the NFL.

Al Davis IS the Raiders! It will be a very sad day in Raider Nation, and the NFL, when Mr. Davis passes on.

Big D
07-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Al has his flaws, I'll give you that but, he spares no expence in trying to put a winning team on the field. He may not always succed but, he is willing to spend for talent.

Al is hands on because Al knows football... better than any owner in the NFL. He was a head coach, and a good one. Al is only hands on when the Raiders are not winning. Gruden had free reign to do as he pleased because Gruden won... Al didn't "meddle" during that time. You didn't mention this but, I will, for the record. Al DID NOT get rid of Gruden, as is the popular opinion... Gruden WANTED OUT, so Al let him go to Tampa and got what he could out of the deal. Gruden wanted to be in Florida, close to his family... Al did not get rid of him!

I agree about the drafts but, this year's was solid... we drafted for need instead of the 40 time. (an Al weakness... he is obsessed with speed)

The new stadium is not Al's fault... Oakland doesn't seem interested in building a new one. The Raiders are signed for 5 more years, I think. There is rumors of the Raiders moving out of Oakland after the contract is up to someplace close the Oakland area that is willing to build a new stadium.

why not draft leinart?

Aaron Brooks. Really, who else was available that wasn't injured or coming off a suspect injury? Who do you think we should have signed? Brooks gives us the mobility we lacked with KC, plus he has every bit as big of arm as KC. Andrew Walter is the future... Brooks is here for a veteran presence and to let Walter watch and learn a while longer.

Lombardi will probably never run the team... that will likely fall to Amy Trask. There is also talk of his son becoming more involved with the team.

Al Davis is a maverick, a rebel, and a trend setter. The Raiders were the first to start a Hispanic QB, the first to have a Hispanic Head Coach, and, I may be wrong here, the first to have a black QB... Vince Evans. The Raiders set the trend and paved the way for black Head Coaches in the NFL with the hiring of Art Shell. The Raiders were/are the first to have a woman in a position of power in the NFL... Amy Trask. Al davis is color and gender blind. Al Davis was also instrumental in getting the CBO renewed this year.

Al Davis is not the devil... he is one of the most influential figures in all of pro sports.

Love him or hate him... the NFL would not be what it is today without him.

Yes, Al davis IS one of the best owners in the NFL.

Al Davis IS the Raiders! It will be a very sad day in Raider Nation, and the NFL, when Mr. Davis passes on.
Why not draft leinart. Al was miserable when Gruden was there he hated not having control. Thats a very well known fact and lincoln kennedy and rod woodson have both talked about that. As far as his meddling you trust the man you have running your sidelines. Al has also been known to let raiders skip practices. Its things like that on why the raiders havent been succesfull the past few years

silver & black
07-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Why not draft leinart. Al was miserable when Gruden was there he hated not having control. Thats a very well known fact and lincoln kennedy and rod woodson have both talked about that. As far as his meddling you trust the man you have running your sidelines. Al has also been known to let raiders skip practices. Its things like that on why the raiders havent been succesfull the past few years
We didn't draft Leinert because Andrew Walter is the future. Why draft another QB when we already a VERY PROMISING young talent in Walter? QB wasn't/isn't the most pressing need for the Raiders... OL help and defense was/is. If the OL and defense was in better shape, I would question the choice too but, the fact is we did what needed doing. Drafting Leinert would have been nice IF we had that luxury... we didn't/don't.

How do you figure Al didn't have control when Gruden was there? Maybe he was miserable not having a hand in things, maybe not. The fact is, he DIDN'T meddle because the Raiders were WINNING!

Do I trust the man running the sidelines? You bet I do! Why would I not love the fact that we have an 8 time Pro Bowl, Hall of Fame RAIDER, that had a winning record, and 3 trips to the post season in his first tenure as head coach, running the sidelines!?!???

You can bet whatever you have that from this day on, there will be NO SKIPPED PRACTICES... not with Art Shell running things!

83-Steelers-43
07-06-2006, 06:02 PM
As much as I dislike Al Davis, 25 is just a little crazy in my opinion.

Big D
07-07-2006, 09:16 AM
We didn't draft Leinert because Andrew Walter is the future. Why draft another QB when we already a VERY PROMISING young talent in Walter? QB wasn't/isn't the most pressing need for the Raiders... OL help and defense was/is. If the OL and defense was in better shape, I would question the choice too but, the fact is we did what needed doing. Drafting Leinert would have been nice IF we had that luxury... we didn't/don't.

How do you figure Al didn't have control when Gruden was there? Maybe he was miserable not having a hand in things, maybe not. The fact is, he DIDN'T meddle because the Raiders were WINNING!

Do I trust the man running the sidelines? You bet I do! Why would I not love the fact that we have an 8 time Pro Bowl, Hall of Fame RAIDER, that had a winning record, and 3 trips to the post season in his first tenure as head coach, running the sidelines!?!???

You can bet whatever you have that from this day on, there will be NO SKIPPED PRACTICES... not with Art Shell running things!
Yeah the same way Tui was promising right. So you are telling me you would rather have Andrew Walter who has been injury prone much of his football days. Promising he had mediocore performances against two poor teams in the preseason last year. In my opinion he didnt pass on leinart because of the need on D and because of walter. He passed on leinart because of his fear of drafting a qb in the first round. I swear the guy must have nightmares of todd marijuanavich. Al has almost made it an art drafting secondary help in the first round. I'm a strong believer that you should draft by talent in the draft not be need.

silver & black
07-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Yeah the same way Tui was promising right. So you are telling me you would rather have Andrew Walter who has been injury prone much of his football days. Promising he had mediocore performances against two poor teams in the preseason last year. In my opinion he didnt pass on leinart because of the need on D and because of walter. He passed on leinart because of his fear of drafting a qb in the first round. I swear the guy must have nightmares of todd marijuanavich. Al has almost made it an art drafting secondary help in the first round. I'm a strong believer that you should draft by talent in the draft not be need.
I agree to a point. I too, believe you should draft the best talent... if you have that luxury. Let's face it, the Raiders have been a horrible team for 3 years now. How would drafting Leinert make us better? He would just be another QB running for his life behind our revolving door O line.

We needed D help and we got it. We needed O line help and we got McQuistan, plus we have probowl and HOF caliber coaches that played on the O line. Gallery is back to his natural position at left tackle and Sims has been moved to left gaurd where he will be more effective. Our center is back at center where he belongs. We had a mess on the Oline last year with people injured and out of position.

Leinert is a pocket passer that needs protection. Even though our O line should be much improved this year, I still would rather have a mobile QB like Brooks untill our O line is proven solid.

At some point, you have to look at the big picture. I think that is what Al and Art did this year. At some point you have to bite the bullet and get the personel your team needs to start the comeback... I believe this is what the Raiders did. Drafting Leinert, as great as that would have been, was not an option at this time.

Tui was Promising and still is if we were going to run a WCO... We aren't. Tui was a Gruden pick, Al never wanted him. The Raiders have gone back to the vertical game since Gruden left ... Tui is a fish out of water in that system. He will carry a clipboard this year and be a free agent next year. This is Tui's last year as a Raider.

I hear this "injury prone" tag applied to Walter all the time. Why? Because he had a shoulder injyury that is now 100% fixed, and even stronger than it was before the surgery? Because he had a sports hernia last year that is now 100% healed? That's it, nothing else as far as injuries go. These are fairly common injuries and he is now 100% healthy. Rich Gannon has been working with him and he says that this kid is something special... I'm pretty sure Gannon is a fair judge of QB talent, so I'll take his word for it.