PDA

View Full Version : With the "Retiring" of Bruce Arians????

Goldsteel86
01-21-2012, 12:15 PM
First let me clarify, I think Bruce was told either retire or be fired, he took the latter. I also believe that Tomlin is on notice, with that being said, with Arians gone, what are the chances that Wallace remains a Steeler???

6RingsAndCounting
01-21-2012, 12:24 PM
I honestly don't think that it affects it. It all depends if the Rooneys want to fork over the money or not.

TRH
01-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Tomlin is not "on notice". He's highly respected both here and league-wide (whether you personally like him or not).

Although none of us were in the room, it appears that it was highly recommended that Arians step from his post.....straight from the big guy at the top. Even though Tomlin likes continuity, i'm sure he's completely on board with the change.
I do believe we will go with a coordinator who will try and spread the offense more and throw just as much, if not more and they would like Wallace to stay. But it will have more to do with dollars and cents than with anything Arians-related.

Bayz101
01-21-2012, 02:50 PM
It'll be interesting, that's for sure.

jiminpa
01-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Tomlin is not "on notice". He's highly respected both here and league-wide (whether you personally like him or not).

Although none of us were in the room, it appears that it was highly recommended that Arians step from his post.....straight from the big guy at the top. Even though Tomlin likes continuity, i'm sure he's completely on board with the change.
I do believe we will go with a coordinator who will try and spread the offense more and throw just as much, if not more and they would like Wallace to stay. But it will have more to do with dollars and cents than with anything Arians-related.I hope Tomlin is on notice. He should be. He hasn't shown one once of concern with actually winning football games. The only top level coach on the team who has since Cowher left is LeBeau, and we know he is not a good HC. Tomlin seems to be an opportunist--he will take a win if it is handed to him on a plate, but lacks the desire to actually make it happen himself. He also seems to be a status quo kind of person, not just "if it aint broke don't fix it," but "it it's broke but no one seems to mind, don't fix it." Well, those of us buying tickets and watching the advertising do mind, so it's time to get someone in the coaching spot who not only doesn't mind it being fixed, but will take action to be part of the fix, and I don't think Tomlin is that guy. It would be nice if I wrong though.

OX1947
01-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Art Rooney II is a junk yard dog. Other then having the same respect and class as the chief and Dan, Art II is a little more Don like. I've always liked Art II, I just like his presence. Always looks in control, suits always tight and always says firm and clear interviews.

Normally the Rooney's let the head coach run their teams and coaches, however, there are execptions like when you are paying your franchise QB 102 million and he can not stay healthy.

Steelers need a offensive coordinator to simplify things. Number one, keep ben healthy, number two, use your weapons, and have some damn creativity in the red zone. I wanted to shoot myself with Arians 50 bubbles screens in the red zone that never worked.

Goldsteel86
01-21-2012, 07:22 PM

I do believe we will go with a coordinator who will try and spread the offense more and throw just as much, if not more and they would like Wallace to stay. But it will have more to do with dollars and cents than with anything Arians-related.

`I believe Tomlin is "on notice" a SB loss, followed by a one and done playoff run, (to a team that shouldn't have even been in the Steelers league) I believe he has been told changes need to be made (purely my speculation) and it started with Arians. I think the change has to come with the offense, the lack of a running game is not Steeler football, so yes I think Tomlin sees the writing on the wall and he has been put "on notice"!

Sixburgher
01-21-2012, 07:37 PM
I hope Tomlin is on notice. He should be. He hasn't shown one once of concern with actually winning football games. The only top level coach on the team who has since Cowher left is LeBeau, and we know he is not a good HC.

Guess that explained Cowher's stubborn insistence on sticking with Kordell Stewart as "his guy" at QB for five seasons, with two of those seasons ending up on the wrong side of .500 and three in total being non-playoff seasons; his overwhelming desire to win. Ridiculous.

jiminpa
01-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Guess that explained Cowher's stubborn insistence on sticking with Kordell Stewart as "his guy" at QB for five seasons, with two of those seasons ending up on the wrong side of .500 and three in total being non-playoff seasons; his overwhelming desire to win. Ridiculous.Donahoe, (the guy who replaced Woodson with Chad Scott), was the GM at the time. Who did Cowher have to replace Kordell with? Kent Graham? He tried starting him, and he was worse than Kordell. So Cowher's "stubborn" insistence was actually Donahoe's.

6RingsAndCounting
01-21-2012, 08:44 PM
I have a hunch that a Head Coach that's made the Super Bowl 2 out of 5 years isn't "on notice"

6RingsAndCounting
01-21-2012, 08:49 PM
And I'm tired of hearing that you aren't playing "Steeler Football" if you aren't running the ball the whole way down the field. "Steeler Football" is winning, and I don't care how they do it, they could kick the damn ball the whole way down the field if they were allowed. As a coach, you adjust your game plan to your roster, and obviously, the Steelers have a great quarterback and great wide receivers, so utilize them, but I don't mean abandon the run completely, I believe it should be 50/50, but this 60/40 run BS is ridiculous.

steelerchad
01-21-2012, 09:23 PM
`I believe Tomlin is "on notice" a SB loss, followed by a one and done playoff run, (to a team that shouldn't have even been in the Steelers league) I believe he has been told changes need to be made (purely my speculation) and it started with Arians. I think the change has to come with the offense, the lack of a running game is not Steeler football, so yes I think Tomlin sees the writing on the wall and he has been put "on notice"!

This shit makes me laugh. The Steelers are the most patient team in the league with coaches. They're on their 3rd coach in 42 years. Why exactly would losing a SB that you were the underdog in put you on notice? Why exactly would losing a playoff game with pretty much your second string put you on notice? How about the fact that in 5 seasons, he's won a SB, been to another, and had 2 other playoff appearances while winning the division 3 times. The only year he's missed the playoffs, the team finished 9-7.

Cowher sucked in the playoffs, until the end. He took them to the playoffs his first year at 11-5, with Noll's guys, right? Then he lost an AFC title game as a heavy favorite at home with a dominant defense. Then he made a SB, only to lose. Then he had 3 straight losing seasons including a 5-11 campaign. Only to come back and have several playoff season and finally win a SB at the end of his career here. With the 4 playoff wins at the end in 05 getting his first SB, that gave him a career playoff record of 9-8. So, he was 5-8 in playoff games before that last run.

If Cowher made it through all that, I don't think Tomlin has much to worry about. Consistency is the Steelers secret to success. They know that tinkering with systems, coaching, and players too much is useless in the NFL.
Tomlin is currently 5-3 in playoff games by the way. It's all about winning and losing. And right now, the winning is happening a lot more than the losing.

TRH
01-22-2012, 10:30 AM
This shit makes me laugh. The Steelers are the most patient team in the league with coaches. They're on their 3rd coach in 42 years. Why exactly would losing a SB that you were the underdog in put you on notice? Why exactly would losing a playoff game with pretty much your second string put you on notice? How about the fact that in 5 seasons, he's won a SB, been to another, and had 2 other playoff appearances while winning the division 3 times. The only year he's missed the playoffs, the team finished 9-7.

Cowher sucked in the playoffs, until the end. He took them to the playoffs his first year at 11-5, with Noll's guys, right? Then he lost an AFC title game as a heavy favorite at home with a dominant defense. Then he made a SB, only to lose. Then he had 3 straight losing seasons including a 5-11 campaign. Only to come back and have several playoff season and finally win a SB at the end of his career here. With the 4 playoff wins at the end in 05 getting his first SB, that gave him a career playoff record of 9-8. So, he was 5-8 in playoff games before that last run.

If Cowher made it through all that, I don't think Tomlin has much to worry about. Consistency is the Steelers secret to success. They know that tinkering with systems, coaching, and players too much is useless in the NFL.
Tomlin is currently 5-3 in playoff games by the way. It's all about winning and losing. And right now, the winning is happening a lot more than the losing.

Well said. Tomlin's actually doing a good job. No matter who the 'coach' is around here...there will be mass complaining.
Tomlin is not "on notice". Period.

GMU Steeler
01-22-2012, 11:12 AM

Yep and honestly I must take issue with the belief that Tomlin merely wins with Cowher's guys. He is the one who decided to make Harrison a starter. Easy to see that as a no brainer since James has been terrific but there was a time when he was still James Harrison four times cut UDFA special teamer, he drafted Woodley, Timmons, Wallace, Brown, and others. Now he still needs work on his game but Tomlin's been a solid coach with room for improvement. We would probably be playing in the championships today if not for injuries if you ask me. And I am confident that Tomlin and Colbert will make the right decisions for the team going forward.

BKAnthem
01-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Tomlins not going Anywhere, Bottom line

mesaSteeler
01-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Tomlins not going Anywhere, Bottom line

Oh? Well that was what was said about Airhead Arians and he's history. :applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

Tomlin was only signed to a two year extension. Not exactly a ringing endorsement from the Rooney's. His contact is up 2012. There is an option year for 2013 but it is only an option.

GMU Steeler
01-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Oh? Well that was what was said about Airhead Arians and he's history. :applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

Tomlin was only signed to a two year extension. Not exactly a ringing endorsement from the Rooney's. His contact is up 2012. There is an option year for 2013 but it is only an option.

You're ignoring what Tomlin has done since he signed that extension. One Super Bowl trip and this year which while the ending' was certainly disappointing was still a playoff year. If the Rooneys gave Cowher latitude when he had consecutive losing seasons, they will give it to Tomlin when he loses a SB and loses in the first round of the playoff. Tomlin still needs to improve as HC we all agree on that but he's still young with room for improvement. The situation with an offensive coordinator is totally different than HC especially the head coach of a franchise that changes them so rarely.

mesaSteeler
01-22-2012, 11:46 AM
You're ignoring what Tomlin has done since he signed that extension. One Super Bowl trip and this year which while the ending' was certainly disappointing was still a playoff year. If the Rooneys gave Cowher latitude when he had consecutive losing seasons, they will give it to Tomlin when he loses a SB and loses in the first round of the playoff. Tomlin still needs to improve as HC we all agree on that but he's still young with room for improvement. The situation with an offensive coordinator is totally different than HC especially the head coach of a franchise that changes them so rarely.

And you are presuming that Tomlin will stay. By your own arguments he does not have to. What if say a Jerry Jones, a Dale Synder, or some other owner with more money than sense offers him a huge payday that the Rooney's can't match? The Rooney's are not famous for being the top paying owners in the league in regards to their coaches.

GMU Steeler
01-22-2012, 11:54 AM
And you are presuming that Tomlin will stay. By your own arguments he does not have to. What if say a Jerry Jones, a Dale Synder, or some other owner with more money than sense offers him a huge payday that the Rooney's can't match? The Rooney's are not famous for being the top paying owners in the league in regards to their coaches.

Okay, it is possible he could but Tomlin's not stupid. He has to have seen the many high profile coaches before him Parcells, Shannahan, Gibbs, and Spurrier that have all gone to Washington or Dallas in Parcells' case and failed despite the pay days that Jones and Snyder offer. I think stability matters more to a coach especially one with a young family than money does. Also, those rich owners existed during Noll and Cowher's time too, yet they stayed. I am just saying. I don't see Tomlin leaving unless he fails big time and I mean big time.

TRH
01-22-2012, 12:02 PM
This "Tomlin" talk is getting comical. There would have to be a world-ending, major catastrophe within the organization for there to even BE any "talk". This thread's going downhill very quickly.

Kanata-Steeler
01-22-2012, 12:07 PM
I don't see Tomlin leaving unless he fails big time and I mean big time.

... again, yes, just like Arians.
and Tomlins next crucial decisions' with or if need be against the next "new" OC will likely determine Tomlin's fate, over the next few years.
In other words, ya who isn't on "notice", or "watchful eye", or however you wanna word it. ???

NO ONE, is irreplaceable, especially in the NFL these days ..., not even Dick LeBeau - well, maybe I will make an exception to that rule. for now. ;)
:tt04:

6RingsAndCounting
01-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Tomlin isn't going anywhere unless it's a 1-15 or 2-14 kind of season, which won't happen.

GMU Steeler
01-22-2012, 12:14 PM
... again, yes, just like Arians.
and Tomlins next crucial decisions' with or if need be against the next "new" OC will likely determine Tomlin's fate, over the next few years.
In other words, ya who isn't on "notice", or "watchful eye", or however you wanna word it. ???

NO ONE, is irreplaceable, especially in the NFL these days ..., not even Dick LeBeau - well, maybe I will make an exception to that rule. for now. ;)
:tt04:

Are you ignoring that this franchise has had 3 coaches over the last 40 years? Answer me this. Cowher at one point had three consecutive losing seasons. The worst Tomlin has had is the 9-7 in 2009. Why wouldn't the Rooneys, famous for their patience give him the same latitude? Tomlin needs to improve parts of his game but he's been more successful than he hasn't been and the record indicates that. And Arians' situation as a coordinator is totally different than Tomlin's as HC but you know that already. Jeez this season had a disappointing ending but who's to say we can't win the SB next year? I remember 2008 looking like it would be a tough year and what did we do?

mesaSteeler
01-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Okay, it is possible he could but Tomlin's not stupid. He has to have seen the many high profile coaches before him Parcells, Shannahan, Gibbs, and Spurrier that have all gone to Washington or Dallas in Parcells' case and failed despite the pay days that Jones and Snyder offer. I think stability matters more to a coach especially one with a young family than money does. Also, those rich owners existed during Noll and Cowher's time too, yet they stayed. I am just saying. I don't see Tomlin leaving unless he fails big time and I mean big time.

The league has changed since Cowher's time. A large payday = Stability. Unlike the majority of players Tomlin is smart enough to invest the payday properly and live off the returns. Even if a new situation doesn't work out after a few years he could take a contract buyout, go into TV, and have much more time for his family. Nothing is certain in today's NFL.

GMU Steeler
01-22-2012, 12:18 PM
The league has changed since Cowher's time. A large payday = Stability. Unlike the majority of players Tomlin is smart enough to invest the payday properly and live off the returns. Even if a new situation doesn't work out after a few years he could take a contract buyout, go into TV, and have much more time for his family. Nothing is certain in today's NFL.

I am just saying. I don't see him leaving unless he really struggles. He seems to like it in Pittsburgh. Now could that change? Of course but the FO isn't going to panic over these past two years. They're not going to ignore the problems obviously but they're not going to make a rash and stupid decision either.

Kanata-Steeler
01-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Are you ignoring that this franchise has had 3 coaches over the last 40 years? Answer me this. Cowher at one point had three consecutive losing seasons. The worst Tomlin has had is the 9-7 in 2009. Why wouldn't the Rooneys, famous for their patience give him the same latitude? Tomlin needs to improve parts of his game but he's been more successful than he hasn't been and the record indicates that. And Arians' situation as a coordinator is totally different than Tomlin's as HC but you know that already. Jeez this season had a disappointing ending but who's to say we can't win the SB next year? I remember 2008 looking like it would be a tough year and what did we do?

- The league has dropped and fired, and picked up,..., more coaches in the last few years, than in Cowhers time.

- Why would Tomlin have changed an already #1 NFL Defense, he was "smart" in gingerly going along with LeBeau's winning strategy, Again, that's now proven.

- When things were obviously goin' South Rooney rolled up his sleeves, and "retired" Arians, for Tomlins' sake. That favour being now done, it's Tomlins turn to return the favour, and NOT just ride the coat-tails of an already "proven" SB franchise team -before he came.
...'Cause that "ride" is now OVER.

Tomlin will have his real chance to re-build, starting with this horrible Offense.

It's as simple as that. if Tom shows improvement, he stays, if not, he will go. It ain't rocket science,
it's just hard-earned everyday-common-sense, mate.

GMU Steeler
01-22-2012, 12:50 PM
- The league has dropped and fired, and picked up,..., more coaches in the last few years, than in Cowhers time.

- Why would Tomlin have changed an already #1 NFL Defense, he was "smart" in gingerly going along with LeBeau's winning strategy, Again, that's now proven.

- When things were obviously goin' South Rooney rolled up his sleeves, and "retired" Arians, for Tomlins' sake. That favour being now done, it's Tomlins turn to return the favour, and NOT just ride the coat-tails of an already "proven" SB franchise team -before he came.
...'Cause that "ride" is now OVER.

Tomlin will have his real chance to re-build, starting with this horrible Offense.

It's as simple as that. if Tom shows improvement, he stays, if not, he will go. It ain't rocket science,
it's just hard-earned everyday-common-sense, mate.

I know what the league has done but the Rooneys are still more patient than not. I am not saying Tomlin was smart for keeping the defense the same scheme. I am saying he deserves credit for the players he has added to it. Woodley? Timmons? Hood? Heyward? Tomlin's guys. And Harrison, we didn't know what we had with him when he decided to start him in 2007. It was a risk- a risk I am glad we made but still a risk. Remember that Timmons was originally seen as an outside linebacker but Harrison's rise made him move inside. I also disagree that the offense is terrible. It needs improvement and to execute better but I can't call an offense that has two 1000 receivers terrible. It needs work I definitely agree with that.Sorry man but the Rooneys aren't gonna can Tomlin when he has made as much SBs in 5 years as Cowher did in 15. He needs to improve, I agree. And I really disagree with the idea that Tomlin has just been riding the coattails since more of these guys are his now than Cowher's. It was a disappointing end this year no doubt but that has to be racked up to injuries on both sides of the ball. I think we'll be better next year.

Goldsteel86
01-22-2012, 03:17 PM
I know what the league has done but the Rooneys are still more patient than not. I am not saying Tomlin was smart for keeping the defense the same scheme. I am saying he deserves credit for the players he has added to it. Woodley? Timmons? Hood? Heyward? Tomlin's guys. And Harrison, we didn't know what we had with him when he decided to start him in 2007. It was a risk- a risk I am glad we made but still a risk. Remember that Timmons was originally seen as an outside linebacker but Harrison's rise made him move inside. I also disagree that the offense is terrible. It needs improvement and to execute better but I can't call an offense that has two 1000 receivers terrible. It needs work I definitely agree with that.Sorry man but the Rooneys aren't gonna can Tomlin when he has made as much SBs in 5 years as Cowher did in 15. He needs to improve, I agree. And I really disagree with the idea that Tomlin has just been riding the coattails since more of these guys are his now than Cowher's. It was a disappointing end this year no doubt but that has to be racked up to injuries on both sides of the ball. I think we'll be better next year.

Are you really sure about that, they paid Ben all that money and "shit canned" his "boy". Now if you don't think after Tomlin professing after the season ended that Arians and LeBeau would be back and Arians retiring is not a sign you are sadly mistaken. If you honestly believe that the Rooney's aren't sending a message, you are foolish!!!! Don't forget Cowher isn't coaching anywhere, now I am not saying that he will return, but he has turned down every offer, why is this????? Rooney's are sending a message, if Tomlin can get it done again, he stays, if not, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a change! Cowher has roots to the Steelers (Once Again) I am not saying he returns to the Steelers, however, I believe Tomlin has been put "ON NOTICE"

LVSteelersfan
01-22-2012, 03:32 PM
You people that think Tomlin is in trouble are hilarious. Two Super Bowl appearances, missed the playoffs only once, winning records year after year. You do realize that most teams in the league would kill to have the success that Tomlin has had as a head coach. And it is laughable that you say he is still working with Cowher's team. Woodley, Timmons, Hood, Brown, Wallace, Sanders, Pouncey, Heyward, Redman, Gilbert, Worilds are all Tomlin's guys and I am sure I am missing someone. That is 11 players who are either starters or played extensively this year. That is half a team. They are not Cowher's team in any way, shape or form. And don't forget the new CBs that are going to take over soon.

madtowndrunkard
01-22-2012, 03:42 PM
You people that think Tomlin is in trouble are hilarious. Two Super Bowl appearances, missed the playoffs only once, winning records year after year. You do realize that most teams in the league would kill to have the success that Tomlin has had as a head coach. And it is laughable that you say he is still working with Cowher's team. Woodley, Timmons, Hood, Brown, Wallace, Sanders, Pouncey, Heyward, Redman, Gilbert, Worilds are all Tomlin's guys and I am sure I am missing someone. That is 11 players who are either starters or played extensively this year. That is half a team. They are not Cowher's team in any way, shape or form. And don't forget the new CBs that are going to take over soon.

I agree, no way is Tomlin's job in jeopardy. It would take a total melt down next season for Tomlin to lose his job.

tomlin is not working Cowher's team... he's working Cowher's staff and system. slight difference... but it's a fact.

Goldsteel86
01-22-2012, 03:42 PM

Nice observation but, two SB appearance, 1-1 record, playoffs missed only once, how many one and done with Tomlin, Jacksonville and Denver???? Denver really???? You my friend need to read past the headlines and stats, if the Steelers were looking at the past and records, why did Arians "Retire" after Tomlin said that LeBeau and Arians would be back, do your homework!!!!

madtowndrunkard
01-22-2012, 03:44 PM
I do believe Tomlin was allowed to hire a few different coaches when he came... the Special teams coach and O-line coach come to mind. I'm sure Arians had some say in the O-line coach as well... but remember both failed miserably and have since been replaced.

GMU Steeler
01-22-2012, 03:47 PM
I think Montegomery was a good choice for WR coach. Brown and Wallace were 6th round and 3rd round respectively. Okay we're gonna talk about the Denver loss which was a tough one no doubt but do you think Saints fans were putting Sean Payton after he lost to an even worse Seahawks team last year in the playoffs.

chitownpit
01-22-2012, 04:16 PM
our offense looks its best when ben is running the lighting package, i understand its tuffer on the defense but BA never seems in tune with oposing defense.

LVSteelersfan
01-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Nice observation but, two SB appearance, 1-1 record, playoffs missed only once, how many one and done with Tomlin, Jacksonville and Denver???? Denver really???? You my friend need to read past the headlines and stats, if the Steelers were looking at the past and records, why did Arians "Retire" after Tomlin said that LeBeau and Arians would be back, do your homework!!!!

Sorry, but this has been one of the most successful teams in the league since Tomlin took over. You don't fire coaches with this kind of success. Unless you are the Chargers. I agree that Arians sucked and needed to go. Only one team wins the Super Bowl each year. It is highly delusional to actually think the Steelers are going to win the Super Bowl every year. The Steelers were absolutely derailed by injuries this year but still finished 12-4. That is an amazing job despite Arians stupidity. If Tomlin has a couple of below .500 seasons and misses the playoffs, then he will be on notice. If they keep winning, he is going nowhere.

rabbit601
01-22-2012, 04:55 PM
I can't believe how ignorant some of you guys are. I mean saying that Tomlin is on notice is a joke. He only has 2 SB appearences and has made the playoffs every year he's been HC accept for 1 year and even then the Steelers had a winning record.

Do you guys have any idea how spoiled you have become?

There are teams out there that make the playoffs once every 10 years and the fans are stoked. Does Tomlin have to improve in some places; yes he does, but then again there isn't a coach in the NFL that knows everything. I think he uses his time outs foolishly sometimes and I think he could show a little more emotion on the sideleines; whether towards his players or the refs. We all know how screwed the Steelers seem to get from the refs and even so we still win more than we lose...by a lot. Tomlin isn't going anywhere and I don't think if a different team offered him $15 million a year he would leave. He knows (from our coaching history) that he has job security in Pittsburgh. I think that is one of the major reasons The Steelers are so successful; we don't change coaches with knee jerk reations. The Rooney's find someone they like that fits the Steelers mold and they stick with them.

By the time Tomlin retires the Steelers will have won another 3 SB's.

caseydog
01-22-2012, 05:21 PM
And I'm tired of hearing that you aren't playing "Steeler Football" if you aren't running the ball the whole way down the field. "Steeler Football" is winning, and I don't care how they do it, they could kick the damn ball the whole way down the field if they were allowed. As a coach, you adjust your game plan to your roster, and obviously, the Steelers have a great quarterback and great wide receivers, so utilize them, but I don't mean abandon the run completely, I believe it should be 50/50, but this 60/40 run BS is ridiculous.

The main benefit to having strong running game again is that it would take pressure off of Ben, so he could make big plays, and not get pounded into the turf a dozen times a game.

Ben looked like a statue in the pocket against Denver. What's the use of having a good QB if he's barely able to walk by playoff time?

You have to have a running game that defenses respect, or your quarterback is going to be a tackling dummy.

On top of that, there is a long-standing -- and successful -- tradition of owning the clock by the Steelers. You wear their defense out, keep our defense fresh, and keep guys like Brady and Rogers off the field. I'd love to see every Steelers offensive series take five minutes off the clock.

We need a balanced offense. I hope we get an OC that thinks that way.

CD

mikegrimey
01-22-2012, 05:26 PM
This crock about Tomlin being "on notice" is ridiculous,
Some people are too stupid for words

6RingsAndCounting
01-22-2012, 05:38 PM
The main benefit to having strong running game again is that it would take pressure off of Ben, so he could make big plays, and not get pounded into the turf a dozen times a game.

Ben looked like a statue in the pocket against Denver. What's the use of having a good QB if he's barely able to walk by playoff time?

You have to have a running game that defenses respect, or your quarterback is going to be a tackling dummy.

On top of that, there is a long-standing -- and successful -- tradition of owning the clock by the Steelers. You wear their defense out, keep our defense fresh, and keep guys like Brady and Rogers off the field. I'd love to see every Steelers offensive series take five minutes off the clock.

We need a balanced offense. I hope we get an OC that thinks that way.

CD

I understand the need to have a running game, but as you said, it needs to be balanced. I'm just tired of the statement that "We need to run the ball because it's Steeler football."