PDA

View Full Version : The Patriots Offense

hardwork
06-01-2005, 02:35 PM
With Brady and Dillon, Patriots Will Score Plenty

John MacKenna - Scout.com
May 31, 2005 at 8:41am ET

The New England Patriots have made enough moves to shore up some of their areas of need. While doing that, they managed to add more talent to the young core group already in place. Patriots Insider (PI) takes a look at the Patriots offense and the kind of impact these young players can expect to have in 2005. PI is proud to welcome back John MacKenna in the first of a series of views on the team for the upcoming season.

With Brady and Dillon, Patriots Will Score Plenty in '05

By John MacKenna, Patriots Insider

Who is going to stop the New England Patriots ' offense in 2005?

Maybe no one.

New England will play half its games against defenses that ranked eighth or better last year (Steelers, Bills, Broncos, Dolphins and Jets), but the Patriots torched even the toughest defenses in '04, and they're only getting better.
And for all their accomplishments, New England's offensive players are ridiculously young.

The starting lineup might look like this:

QB Tom Brady 27
RB Corey Dillon 30
WR Deion Branch 25
WR David Givens 24
TE Daniel Graham 26
TE Benjamin Watson 24
OT Matt Light 26
OT Tom Ashworth 27
OG Logan Mankins 23
OG Stephen Neal 28
C Dan Koppen 25

In that lineup, the average starter is 26 years old, has three years of NFL experience--and has earned two Super Bowl rings as a Patriot.
The offense's performance in last year's playoffs was remarkable. The Patriots averaged 28 points in the three games, including a 41-point outburst against the top-ranked Pittsburgh Steelers. In their last five games against defenses ranked in the NFL's top eight, the Patriots scored an average of 29 points.
Brady and Dillon are the only real headliners now, but look for three others to start getting their names called on SportsCenter and The NFL Today in 2005.

Deion Branch With 21 catches for 276 yards in the last two Super Bowls, the 5'9" speedster is hardly a secret, but neither is he listed among the NFL's elite. Look for him to catch 80 balls for 1,100 yards in 2005 if he stays healthy.
David Givens: It is the versatility of players like Givens that make the Patriots so hard to handle. His 56 catches for 874 yards in 2004 were impressive, and no one is better at catching balls that appear uncatchable. Despite that ability, he doesn't complain when the ball goes elsewhere, as when he caught only 19 passes for 230 yards in the last six games of the 2004 regular season. And at 6'0", 215 pounds, Givens blocks more like a tight end than a wideout.

Stephen Neal: One of the most athletic lineman in the NFL, Neal never played college football ,and he spent two years learning the ropes in New England before stepping into the starting lineup in 2004. He showed what he can do when he got downfield and threw key blocks on both of Branch's end-arounds that went for a combined 37 yards against the Steelers in the AFC Championship game.
Line Should Get Noticed

New England's remarkable success-they are 34-4 since the end of the 2002 season-should finally yield some overdue recognition for the offensive line. The Patriots outscored all but three teams in the NFL last year, with Brady throwing 28 touchdown passes and Dillon rushing for 1,635 yards. Success at the level can only come on the backs of a great offensive line.

OG Joe Andruzzi opted out to collect a well-earned free-agency fortune, but depth is once again on New England's side. Koppen and Light are stalwarts with five Super Bowl rings between them. Reserves Russ Hochstein and Tom Ashworth have each started in a Patriots' Super Bowl win, and rookies Mankins and Nick Kaczur are big, strong and talented. Under the leadership of line coach Dante Scarnecchia, expect this group to continue giving Dillon and Brady what they need.

As long as Dillon and Brady stay healthy, there is no weakness on New England's offense. The line is deep after the drafting of Mankins and Kaczur. The receiving corps is solid with the re-signing of Troy Brown and the signing of former Bears wideout David Terrell and former Charger Tim Dwight .

Many observers believe that Terrell, who was drafted with the eighth pick in 2001 draft, will thrive playing with his former Michigan teammate Brady. At 6'3" and 212 pounds with speed, Terrell could be a formidable addition. He had two 100-plus-yard games last year and caught four balls for 99 yards in his last game as a Bear.

New England has another great weapon in RB Kevin Faulk . From his spot deep in Dillon's shadow, Faulk quietly gained 65 or more yards of combined offense in four of New England's last six games, including the Super Bowl.
Reserve RB Patrick Pass also played effectively in '04, catching 26 passes for 188 yards in the Patriots' last nine regular season games.

Too many threats

Balance sets the New England offense apartment from the rest. Just as the threat of Brady's passes creates running lanes for Dillon, the respect that defenses show for Dillon opens passing lanes for Brady. The Patriots like to keep the opposing defenses guessing by using flexible sets suitable for running or passing.
Head Coach Bill Belichick made a commitment to that kind of versatility in the 2004 draft when he used the 32nd pick of the draft on TE Benjamin Watson. At 6'3" and 253 pounds, Watson is a strong, athletic performer who showed tremendous promise as a receiver before a knee injury ended his rookie season in Week 1.

With Watson healthy, the Patriots can run a highly versatile double-TE offense with Watson and the equally talented Graham. From that set, a power run is possible on any play, so defenses will be tempted to crowd the box. But the Patriots also can run a sweep, throw to Branch or Givens or throw to a tight end..
In Brady and Dillon, New England has the NFL's most dangerous QB-RB combination.
With four years as a starter under his belt, Brady has evolved into a complete passer. He is accurate. He throws a great deep ball. He is mobile in the pocket. His vision is superior. He makes excellent decisions.

Dillon, meanwhile, is fast and powerful and very tough to bring down once he gets a head of steam. He is a surprisingly compact and slippery at 225 pounds, and defenders have a lot of trouble getting a grasp.

There is only one concern at this point: the lack of an offensive coordinator. Belichick has earned our trust and respect, and it is hard to imagine him crippling his offense out or shortsightedness or pride. But if he's planning to make the play calls himself, how can he focus on the big picture?

Expect Belichick to find a formula that works, and expect the Patriots to average over 28 points a game in 2005.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-01-2005, 03:27 PM
There is no way the Patriots will average 28 points per game,that's bullshit.

hardwork
06-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Well, we're gonna find out, aren't we.

bigbensgirl7
06-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Oh we will HW... :blah: :blah: :blah: Good luck with that! Just don't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen, and if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath!

hardwork
06-01-2005, 06:02 PM
I don't know, or care, if they'll score 28 points a game. All I care about is that they score more then the other guy.

The point of the article is that our offense isn't getting older, and weaker, it's getting younger, and stronger. And that doesn't fit the picture of the Patriots being finished. It means the league is just going to have expect one good team after another coming out of New England for several years to come.

bigbensgirl7
06-01-2005, 06:13 PM
I agree HW...that's how I feel about the Steelers too...I don't care what the final score is as long as it's followed by a "W"!!!
I don't really think anyone here is saying the Pats are not going to be a good team, and a challange this year....but I don't see them getting another ring either. There are many talented teams in the NFL, but only one reaches the ultimate and is able to call themselves "World Champs"!

clevestinks
06-01-2005, 06:19 PM
BIGBENSGIRL is right. I know the Pats will be there til the end. But I don`t beleive they will three peat. Too many pieces to the puzzle missing. As HW pointed out, they still have alot of young talent, so it won`t take them long to get it back together, but there are a number of good teams out there. Pittsburgh, San Diego, look better and better. Indy has a great O. Philly. Atlanta, it will be a tough year for all.

Pittsburgh Detroit or Bust!

hardwork
06-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Of course, you're both right. To threepeat is an all but impossible task. As you say, the league is stronger. Another thing, the Patriots haven't been able to reload like they have in the past few years. We aren't bringing in a new guy like Dillon, or Harrison, who can have a major impact right away. To, we lost the heart of our defense, and the heart of our offense line, plus two coordinators. And more, we open up playing the iron of the league one game right after another. I don't think I've ever seen a more difficult first half of a season before in that regard. Certainly the Patriots have never faced anything like it. So, can it be done? Sure. Will it be done? Not very likely. But, right now, I wouldn't tell the players that. They aren't listening, they're working just like they did last year, 2 years ago, and two years before that.

bigbensgirl7
06-01-2005, 07:36 PM
I think we can all agree on that. And your players should go in every year and work like they have in the past, along with every other team in the NFL...that's what makes good teams and makes the NFL what it is today!

ironcitychef
06-01-2005, 09:55 PM
The point of the article is that our offense isn't getting older, and weaker, it's getting younger, and stronger. And that doesn't fit the picture of the Patriots being finished. It means the league is just going to have expect one good team after another coming out of New England for several years to come.

Oh unless they make "rookie mistakes" like you say is the reason we had our downfall? You are silently hoping all of your rookies together have a season like Ben had last year. An as you say, keep hyping it up, cause I'll post a Steelers Digest article that said about the same thing even when we had Cliff Stoudt. For your sake you hope the youth movement was the reason for your success, and not the veteran leadership/coaching staff which is now gone.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-01-2005, 10:19 PM
I have one question why in the hell do we care about the Pats offense anyways ? Yes they are good, you'd be a fool to think otherwise, but great? nobody can stop them? I'd beg to disagree with those statements.

They'll be competitive and they'll b there in the offseason unless disaster strikes, but they wont be there in detroit.

hardwork
06-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Last time I checked the Patriots were in the NFL, why was this thread moved?

hardwork
06-01-2005, 11:43 PM
"You are silently hoping all of your rookies together have a season like Ben had last year."

All those rookies? What rookies?

Chef, stick to cooking.

ironcitychef
06-02-2005, 12:13 AM
Oh now I see, you are on a Steelers message board cause you're too lazy to do the homework yourself...here let me help you...

Logan Mankins(the guy you hope can replace Andruzzi), Ellis Hobbs(not a "Natural" secondary player), Nick Kaczuk(the guy you hope can replace the first guy you hoped could replace Andruzzi), James Sanders(listed as SS, but I think he gets traded to the Red Sox as Renteria was a bad pick up), Ryan Claridge(a guy from UNLV in the 5th round can fill the shoes of Bruschi? We'll see.), Matt Cassel(uh the QB from USC was taken in the first round guys.), Andy Stokes(the very last TE selected!) oh and some guys who were needed to haul equipment off the busses...Earl Charles, punter Rhett Kopp, wide receiver Michael McGrew, defensive lineman DeMarco McNeil, guard Michael Rogers and defensive lineman Santonio Thomas.

I am sorry though cause the only "rookie mistake" made was thinking that as a NE fan you could actually get away with lame ass posts in the Blast Furnace! Oh yeah, you always say its about "what have you done lately?" Well I guess kick your ass in the Blast Furnace for starters...:chef:

hardwork
06-02-2005, 01:19 AM
Yeah, we participated in the draft this year. Got any more earth shattering news, Chef?

ironcitychef
06-02-2005, 02:00 AM
Got any more earth shattering news, Chef?
Blast Furnace (http://forums.steelersfever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
Want to talk smack? Then back it up with facts! What goes on in the 'BF' stays in the 'BF'. Not for the meek of heart.
Yeah, you seem to be missing the point of this thread.:deal: You might want to stay on the porch...

BlitzburghRockCity
06-02-2005, 02:58 AM
Last time I checked the Patriots were in the NFL, why was this thread moved?

because of how this thread is going to turn out.. it might as well be in the blast furnace.. this forum is for talking smack, and when you start in on the pats and us, which this thread will get too, u know neither us nor you will back down..

ironcitychef
06-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Hope I wasn't out of line, it was moved already when I posted.

hardwork
06-02-2005, 02:56 PM
"because of how this thread is going to turn out.."

Congratulations moderator, you just made your forum irrelevant.

ironcitychef
06-02-2005, 04:02 PM
I thought it moved early too, but I would have called you into the Blast Furnace anyways. Maybe now that he is a MOD he has access to Mike's crystal ball?

clevestinks
06-02-2005, 07:46 PM
Lets get ready to rumble! LOL :boxing:

ironcitychef
06-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Naw, I finished my rant. I thought the Furnace would produce better bouts than "my team is great", "oh yeah, what about this fact?", "you're a loser". I probably am a loser, but you better have the facts to back up in here.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-02-2005, 09:23 PM
I thought it moved early too, but I would have called you into the Blast Furnace anyways. Maybe now that he is a MOD he has access to Mike's crystal ball?

ok first off, hardwork, moving a thread into the blast furnace so we can really speak our mind and get it on, is not the wrong thing to do, and it does not make the forum irrelevant, so get ur head out of your ass, and start talking football in the blast furnace like you always seem think you are so good at.

it was moved here so we could debate in the fierce fiery way that the blast furnace was made for and not worry about it carrying over outside the forums

yes the nfl forum on SF is to talk about other teams, players, and issues around the league, etc... however because you're a member here, and you never back down for a debate and becuz this is a steelers forum, and u know we're gonna give you shit, its just a precautionary measure is all.. relax ;)

chef, u werent out of line, dont worry ur cool :)

hardwork
06-03-2005, 02:20 PM
"so get ur head out of your ass"

That's really smart moderator. That kind of comment always gets a pertinent, and informative discussion going.

You moved that thread in here so rather then discuss it, like bensgirl, and cleve were doing, you could just trash it. You're like a book banner. If there's a book out there that makes a point they don't like, they ban it. If there's a thread about another team that doesn't fit your plan, you stick it in the BF. Like those that ban books, you're lacking the courage of your convictions. Not very pretty for the moderator of an NFL forum that represents one of leagues most historically fierce teams. I don't think this Steeler team would say to the Patriots, hey we're not gonna play you on the field, lets take it to the parking lot.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Im not going to stoop to your petty level, since you obviously have no clue how forums are run. Ive been moderating forums for a long time now, and I know Im not perfect and I dont profess to be so, nobody is. But WTF is the point of griping about where a thread is?? I mean really, its not like the Blast furnace is a punishment for a forum, or its something bad. Take a chill dude. The BF is just a different place to discuss topics that get alittle more heated..and you seem to have heat follow you because of the things you say on a Steelers forum, its only natural to move it in here. If you read my posts, I didnt say you did anything wrong nor did anybody else. Before any real trash talking gets out in the forums, its better to have it here, so you can trash talk freely! Sheesh !!!

hardwork
06-03-2005, 11:03 PM
You're full of shit asshole.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-04-2005, 12:27 AM
And to quote you...

That kind of comment always gets a pertinent, and informative discussion going

Tha rock
06-08-2005, 11:24 PM
pats wont have nothing on the raider O come game #1

BlitzburghRockCity
06-09-2005, 12:03 AM
uh oh, no we've got a raider / pat thing going on.. what was that again, oh yeah, the tuck rule !! OUCH !!!

ironcitychef
06-09-2005, 12:12 AM
...and HW thought it was unfair when it was just us?

hardwork
06-09-2005, 12:24 AM
The Raiders? We saw what happened to them the last time they got in the Super Bowl. The refs should throw the flag for the tuck rule every time they take the field.
BTW, I saw Romanowski walking around at a BC game last year. Without the roids he's built like a junior high punter.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-09-2005, 12:25 AM
BTW, I saw Romanowski walking around at a BC game last year. Without the roids he's built like a junior high punter :rofl: :rofl:

ironcitychef
06-09-2005, 12:26 AM
BRC - its amazing how tough these other's teams fans get after we smack them around the BF a little bit.:boxing: HW, that's a good one.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-09-2005, 12:29 AM
Yeah, the BF is definately doing its job chef !!

hardwork
06-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Did you see we signed another DB? We must have about 30 of 'em by now.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-09-2005, 01:05 AM
and knowing belicheck, he'll find a place for all of them.. just get rid of Poteat !!

Tha rock
06-09-2005, 02:15 AM
were going to whoop them easily Our D next season will be cool but the O we will score all over them like crazy.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-09-2005, 02:30 AM
I wouldnt be too sure about scoring like crazy on the Pat's D. they may have lost some people, but I wouldnt put it past belicheck to figure out just any way possible to slow down the opponent.

Tha rock
06-09-2005, 02:38 AM
They also lost bolth of thier cordinators which is huge there personell wont be the same.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-09-2005, 03:20 AM
It'll be interesting for sure... I'd also agree they arent the same team, nor will they be as dominant this year.

Tha rock
06-09-2005, 03:09 PM
No way there going to dominate at all that team is going down Game 1

clevestinks
06-09-2005, 06:49 PM
No way there going to dominate at all that team is going down Game 1

Wasn`t sure what to think of a Raiders fan in here, but I like tis quote.LOL

Tha rock
06-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Come on now dawg! Evryone needs a raider fan!!

JerseySTEEL
06-09-2005, 07:59 PM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/forumfun/negative4.jpg

BlitzburghRockCity
06-09-2005, 09:42 PM
The Steelers have always been big rivals w/ the raiders, so this is gonna be interesting as the season goes on if you stick around :D Plus ur an anti-pat fan, so ur cool there!!!

Prosdo
06-10-2005, 02:18 AM
True about the rivalry, but you're right Blitz he definitely has the anti-pat thing going for him. Would be interesting if we played the Raiders to see the threads on here if we played the raiders this year.

clevestinks
06-10-2005, 03:01 PM
I like him better than BKA already. But its only been 24 hours. We`ll see.

Tha rock
06-10-2005, 08:13 PM
I talk smack only when I need to the teams I hate are SD chargers, Ravens, pats.
i dont really have a prob with the steelers.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-10-2005, 08:30 PM
As long as you hate the ratbirds, thats a good start!

clevestinks
06-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Hey thats cool, we all hate the ratbirds. Tha things may change though, if we were both in the playoffs. The Blast Furnace is the place for the smack off.

ironcitychef
06-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Ravens and the Pats? Are you sure you are not a Steelers fan?

clevestinks
06-11-2005, 01:29 PM
Funny, yah he sounds like he is one of us.

bigbensgirl7
06-11-2005, 01:44 PM
He should be :D No really...I think we're going to get along with this guy just fine!!!

Tha rock
06-12-2005, 06:06 PM
It would go #1 SD they talk so much shit after having the worst franchise in the NFL and bieng the only AFC west team with out and SB, 2 pats they screwed us out of the playoffs with the damn tuck call!!, #3 the damn raveasses they beat us out of the playoffs.

hardwork
06-17-2005, 03:06 PM
Lets see, it's June, so the Raiders coaches should be checking the bar rooms down in Juarz, and the local Hells Angels chapter, to make up their 2005 roster.

clevestinks
06-17-2005, 03:50 PM
The Hells Angels.LOL
What was Sonny Bargers number? LOL

hardwork
06-17-2005, 07:02 PM
He didn't ware one.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-17-2005, 07:28 PM
I heard Romo wants to come back too ;)