PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV has a terrible ordering process.

Hammer67
07-01-2006, 01:23 PM
So…I finally move into the new home with the wife yesterday.

One of the first things I did last week while preparing for the move was switch over utilities, Internet, etc. Well, I decided to drop Comcast and try out Direct TV (mainly for all the High def NFL games!). I placed a call to DTV and got a great deal (free install, two HD receivers & free months of HBO.) Install was all set for Saturday (today).

Well, I was doing some research on the HD receivers and decided to call back and confirm the delivery. The woman I spoke too said I was on for Saturday for 2 DVR recorders and a standard receiver. Uh…wrong. SO, she can’t just add the HD receiver to the order…they have to cancel and reenter the entire order including a credit check and reschedule the delivery. Fine, I am testy but I understand mistakes can happen. She reenters the order, offers a $10 a month discount on the service and sets me up for Saturday again. Fine…I confirm that she took the HD RECIEVER order, not DVR.

I get a call yesterday and a guy says “Hi I am so & so from Direct TV calling to schedule your installation. The earliest possible appointment we have is next Wednesday.”

Uh….wrong.

I told him my ordeal so far and said that it was Saturday, Monday or bust. And, getting more suspicious, I ask to confirm what I had ordered. he said..."Oh, ok, two standard recievers & a DVR."

NOOOO! I was so mad. It's like, how hard can it be to enter an order? It's like leaving McDonalds and they forgot half your order, you go back to fix it and they forget to give you the same thing.

At this point, I am calling Charter who is the only cable provider in the area…I am scared.

I was really looking forward to the NFL Ticket.

Hammer67
07-01-2006, 05:11 PM
I know that no one probably cares but I want to vent. So, after countless minutes on the phone, I finally found a great rep willing to help. I recieved a free install, HD reciever, 4 months free premium service plus all movie channels. The catch is I have to order NFL Ticket. (THis essentially becomes a wash, money wise.) So, I am basically getting the NFL ticket for free and I got them to throw in the Super Fan package for my troubles. This upgrade gives you all the NFL games in High Def. I am getting the new H20 HD reciever and 5lnb dish so I can get the new mpeg4 signals.

Yay!!!

Ambridge
07-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Sounds like you'll be watching in style when the season gets started.

I have Direct TV as well and the only thing that keeps me as a customer is the NFL Sunday Ticket.
They have a good thing with the NFL Sunday Ticket and Direct TV knows it.

Ambridge
07-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Otherwise we'd be stuck with the Saints.

Sounds like you dodged a major bullet...........as if things down in that area weren't bad enough already. :cool:

CAH
07-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Why do things you want installed, run into such problems? Why can't things just get done w/o a dozen phone calls?

I switched my telephone from Verizon to Vonage. Vonage people were fine but Verizon put the screws to me by telling Vonage I had two phone lines. I did until about 5 years ago when I was able to go from dial-up to cable. Their records said I haven't had 2 phones for 5 years but they kept telling Vonage I had 2 lines.

Then I made a deadly call to Verizon and when I got done telling them about their pedigre, they corrected the problem while I was still on the phone.

Hammer67
07-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Why do things you want installed, run into such problems? Why can't things just get done w/o a dozen phone calls?

I switched my telephone from Verizon to Vonage. Vonage people were fine but Verizon put the screws to me by telling Vonage I had two phone lines. I did until about 5 years ago when I was able to go from dial-up to cable. Their records said I haven't had 2 phones for 5 years but they kept telling Vonage I had 2 lines.

Then I made a deadly call to Verizon and when I got done telling them about their pedigre, they corrected the problem while I was still on the phone.

There is incompetence everywhere.

SteelCityMan786
07-03-2006, 11:36 AM
So?I finally move into the new home with the wife yesterday.

One of the first things I did last week while preparing for the move was switch over utilities, Internet, etc. Well, I decided to drop Comcast and try out Direct TV (mainly for all the High def NFL games!). I placed a call to DTV and got a great deal (free install, two HD receivers & free months of HBO.) Install was all set for Saturday (today).

Well, I was doing some research on the HD receivers and decided to call back and confirm the delivery. The woman I spoke too said I was on for Saturday for 2 DVR recorders and a standard receiver. Uh?wrong. SO, she can?t just add the HD receiver to the order?they have to cancel and reenter the entire order including a credit check and reschedule the delivery. Fine, I am testy but I understand mistakes can happen. She reenters the order, offers a $10 a month discount on the service and sets me up for Saturday again. Fine?I confirm that she took the HD RECIEVER order, not DVR.

I get a call yesterday and a guy says ?Hi I am so & so from Direct TV calling to schedule your installation. The earliest possible appointment we have is next Wednesday.?

Uh?.wrong.

I told him my ordeal so far and said that it was Saturday, Monday or bust. And, getting more suspicious, I ask to confirm what I had ordered. he said..."Oh, ok, two standard recievers & a DVR."

NOOOO! I was so mad. It's like, how hard can it be to enter an order? It's like leaving McDonalds and they forgot half your order, you go back to fix it and they forget to give you the same thing.

At this point, I am calling Charter who is the only cable provider in the area?I am scared.

I was really looking forward to the NFL Ticket.

Now that is just plain ugly. Sheetz convience stores do better then the National Chain Restaraunts at getting orders right.

Mosca
07-03-2006, 01:15 PM
I had a great first time install with DirecTV, but when I added more receivers it was a nightmare, with phone calls going to the wrong people and interminable waiting on hold to be disconnected.

However, when the guy came out to put the equipment in it went very well, with him NOT charging me to hook up an extra box, leaving the wires hanging next to the connectors, because he would have had to charge me an extra $50. And the service itself has been excellent. I don't think I could live without TiVo.

Tom

SteelCityMan786
07-03-2006, 01:47 PM
I had a great first time install with DirecTV, but when I added more receivers it was a nightmare, with phone calls going to the wrong people and interminable waiting on hold to be disconnected.

However, when the guy came out to put the equipment in it went very well, with him NOT charging me to hook up an extra box, leaving the wires hanging next to the connectors, because he would have had to charge me an extra $50. And the service itself has been excellent. I don't think I could live without TiVo.

Tom

some of us at least

BlitzburghRockCity
07-03-2006, 02:54 PM
The ONLY absolute reason I'd ever consider a dish is for the NFL ticket. Im a cable guy, by trade and by choice. I won't bore you with all the details and BS that goes on with DTV and dish network but it is staggering, trust me on that one. All I can say is watch those statements carefully and read the fine print even if you're a long time customer.

Lyn
07-03-2006, 09:50 PM
This has nothing to do with DirectTV but in a way it does. The drs office called me at work and told me which hospital to take my husband to, what time he had to be there, etc. I kinda rolled my eyes but heck it was the nurse she must know what is going on, right? Wrong. Long story short, they admitted him to the WRONG hospital, he had to be taken by ambulance to a different hospital. And all because the left hand did not know what the right hand was doing.

Total incompetence is spreading like wildfire. I have even learned to call before going to an appointment to be sure we are all on the same page.

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-04-2006, 12:57 AM
Hope you never need a service call dang near impossible to get one ... had Direct before but I was having problems with picture, they swore it was my fault. Took 3 weeks to get a repairman to come out , to say OOPS you must of got a bad reciever !! I would only consider Sat. TV if there was no cable service available . As far as TIVO my DVR works great and Video On Demand is awsome, with NFL network!!

CAH
07-04-2006, 10:36 AM
My computer server is AtlanticBroadBand and you would not believe it but they have great service people. They all talk English, they joke with you and they solve your problem. Beat that.

Hammer67
07-06-2006, 06:34 PM
The ONLY absolute reason I'd ever consider a dish is for the NFL ticket. Im a cable guy, by trade and by choice. I won't bore you with all the details and BS that goes on with DTV and dish network but it is staggering, trust me on that one. All I can say is watch those statements carefully and read the fine print even if you're a long time customer.

I hear yah but the satellite guy I know says the same thing about cable. Truth be told, you need to read the fine print with every tv provider, cable or satellite. They will both screw you in similar ways. Comcast has had me burning up plenty of times.

The only reason I am making the switch is that I can only get Charter cable where I am at and their High Definition package is pathetic. Comcast had a decent HD offering. Plus, as I own a 57" HDTV, standard TV (i.e. basic channels on cable) look like shit as Cable companies may say "digital" but all they are doing is taking an analog signal and digitizing it. Standard channels look much better on satellite on big HDTV's. I also want the NFL ticket.

I majored in Broadcast/Cable management at Penn State (now Telecommunications) and we studied management and business practices of the cable, network, satellite and Internet companies. They ALL have issues.

What I tell people is don’t drink the Kool Aid from any company…do research through impartial and independent sources. Hell, I was in the Charter Cable office today returning their cheap lease modem and I saw a cable vs. satellite sign which was completely wrong. It said Satellite couldn’t get your local channels (wrong, I get them all in HDTV) and that the picture goes out in even a drizzle (again, wrong, I remember having my cable go out one autumn for like three weeks and watching the games at my buddy’s house on a nice Direct TV setup. He said it only ever hiccups in raging snowstorms)

And, don't get me started on Comcast's billing issues and the fact that they even put their own field technicians on hold for 45+ minutes while they are at your house. I can't understand how these companies can subcontract out their field work. My parent's neighbor had a comcast field rep cutting coax wires of people with satellite hookups. So..horror stories all over.

Again, I will pass judgement after i have had the service for a while.

Cape Cod Steel Head
07-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Say what you will about Direct TV, but thanks to them I haven't missed a Steeler game since 1992

Hammer67
07-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Say what you will about Direct TV, but thanks to them I haven't missed a Steeler game since 1992

And that's what I am going for!! :thmbup:

SCSteeler4Life
07-06-2006, 08:38 PM
I can't live without my Direct tv I have had it for 7 years, with no problems.

Hammer67
07-09-2006, 09:17 AM
OK...Now I am not getting Direct TV. The guy was out yesterday. What the reps on the phone (sales people, mind you...the ones who should know what they are selling) neglected to tell me was that the 5lnb High Def dish is about 5 times larger then the standard dish and about five times as heavy with the mounting kit. What I also learned is that the dish, along with being unsightly, is easily moved by the elements and that it is MUCH more sensitive to this then the smaller lighter dish.

On top of that, the installer hands me a paper and says I need to sign it before he proceeds...a two year agreement. Now, I have have heard they will do this but the sales people made NO mention of it on the phone during the entire order process. The installer said that they began doing it this year and truthfully that he wouldn't sign it either. He also told me that Direct has a much lower signal strength then dish so you can't install it that far from the building...

OH well, Charter it is.