PDA

View Full Version : The Rooney's searching for "Old O."

StainlessStill
01-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Could a Fullback make a return?! One can only hope. They always did say Willie Colon was one of the better run-driving lineman in the league, especially the Steelers anyhow. Maybe his retrurn alongside the fullback will help this running game churn? It'll only help BEN!

Sources: Steelers prez wants old O

While Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Bruce Arians announced his retirement Friday, team sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen the Steelers chose not to retain Arians, against the wishes of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

The sources said the move was made in order to shift the offense back toward its blue-collar identity of years past, in line with the desires of Steelers president Art Rooney II.

Arians, 59, has been the only offensive coordinator in coach Mike Tomlin's five seasons with the Steelers. During his time as coordinator, he turned the Steelers from a run-first team to a pass-heavy one to better suit Roethlisberger.

Pittsburgh ranked in the top half of the NFL in offense over the past three seasons but finished a disappointing 12th this past season.

"Bruce Arians has informed me that he will retire from coaching," Tomlin said in a statement. "I appreciate his efforts over the past five years as the team's offensive coordinator and for helping lead our offense to new heights during his time with the Steelers. I am grateful to Bruce for contributing to our success and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement."

The Steelers have a history of promoting from within at offensive coordinator. Arians joined the Steelers in 2004 as the wide receivers coach and was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2007.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7489906/sources-pittsburgh-steelers-chose-not-keep-bruce-arians-ben-roethlisberger-not-fan

stb_steeler
01-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Theres alot of teams that dont run much anymore. but then they dont have very good defenses either. NE for instance, their D sucks so they are forced to throw alot.
I would love to see us get back to more run and make it more balanced.

mesaSteeler
01-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Theres alot of teams that dont run much anymore. but then they dont have very good defenses either. NE for instance, their D sucks so they are forced to throw alot.
I would love to see us get back to more run and make it more balanced.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit:

We play in the AFC North and not in a dome stadium. The pass cr*p offense doesn't work in winter in the AFC North. Remember the debacle in Cleveland when Airhead kept throwing in the middle of howling snow storm. We lost that game. This is Pittsburgh damn it. We run the damn ball and anyone who doesn't like it can go find another team.

zero1
01-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Redman should be a perfect fit at RB if this is the case.

TRH
01-23-2012, 12:08 AM
People are reading way too much into this.
We'll have a good running game that will be used more effeciently.

..and we'll be passing the ball more than ever and one of the key's to that is a new OC with new play calling and new routes and getting rid of some others.

SteelCity'33
01-24-2012, 08:52 AM
One way or another, we need more balance on offense. Just look at recent history with these pass happy teams...GB lost in GB b/c they relied on the pass too much and it didn't work in their climate. GB would have been better off on the road like last year when they had the luxury of playing in domes/better climates to get to the super bowl. New England has succumbed to the same fate over the years. Etc, etc...

Ball control is the best defense against these pass happy teams. I think a backfield of Redman, Dwyer, and Clay is a great recipe for ground and pound football.

BKAnthem
01-24-2012, 09:35 AM
We have Balance statistically as far as Run /Pass ratio...we just don't have balance with the play calling...Hopefully the new OC can change that, not someone coming from inside the organization where they are all buddy, buddy with Ben and he talks them into keeping arians shitty playbook

FanSince72
01-24-2012, 09:41 AM
I don't understand where this whole image of a running comes from in the first place.

The "old" Steelers were known for two things: A rock-solid defense and a PASSING GAME.

Whenever SB teasers come up on TV and they run through clips of SB's past, (like they will in the next couple of weeks) the Steelers are always referenced with clips of Bradshaw throwing a pass and either Swann or Stallworth catching it. How many times do any of you recall any clips showing Franco running?

Hell, the only Franco clip we ever see is the Immaculate Reception and even THAT was a pass! Or how about Rocky Bleier? who says his fondest memory is of catching a TD PASS in SB 13?
In fact, from 1975 to 1979 (the Super Bowl years) Bradshaw threw 99 TD's and 82 interceptions!
You don't get a stat like that from running the ball all the time.

Did we have a solid running game back then?

Absolutely.

But from the mid-70's on, our offense was known for three things: Swann, Stallworth and Bradshaw.
So I really don't understand why everyone now seems to think that passing is not part of "Steeler Football".

BengalDestroyer
01-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Redman should be a perfect fit at RB if this is the case.

amen

Curtain_of_Steel
01-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Not going to happen.

I agree on Redman....Im not a mendy fan, never was.

But old O is not going to happen, the times have changes, DL are bigger and faster, LB's are bigger and faster. Unless yoru getting Foster or McCoy, your not running like the days of old. Also keep in mind the junk we have on the Oline, and it probably won't get any better.

stb_steeler
01-24-2012, 07:00 PM
I don't understand where this whole image of a running comes from in the first place.

The "old" Steelers were known for two things: A rock-solid defense and a PASSING GAME.

Whenever SB teasers come up on TV and they run through clips of SB's past, (like they will in the next couple of weeks) the Steelers are always referenced with clips of Bradshaw throwing a pass and either Swann or Stallworth catching it. How many times do any of you recall any clips showing Franco running?

Hell, the only Franco clip we ever see is the Immaculate Reception and even THAT was a pass! Or how about Rocky Bleier? who says his fondest memory is of catching a TD PASS in SB 13?
In fact, from 1975 to 1979 (the Super Bowl years) Bradshaw threw 99 TD's and 82 interceptions!
You don't get a stat like that from running the ball all the time.

Did we have a solid running game back then?

Absolutely.

But from the mid-70's on, our offense was known for three things: Swann, Stallworth and Bradshaw.
So I really don't understand why everyone now seems to think that passing is not part of "Steeler Football".

Lots of them.....Ever watch the 70's SB DVD's?.....Take a gander at the Steeler/Vikings SB....