PDA

View Full Version : Madden: Arians' firing makes little sense

mesaSteeler
01-22-2012, 10:32 PM
(Well Madden take was as predictable as sunrise. - mesa)
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/madden-arians-firing-makes-little-sense/article_db288763-f407-5f4a-88a5-f669a8a9d08b.html?mode=print
Madden: Arians' firing makes little sense

By Mark Madden Times Sports Columnist | Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:39 pm

Is Art Rooney II qualified to run a football team in any way that goes beyond his birthright?

That doesn't matter. The birthright does.

That truth was held to be self-evident this past week as the Steelers president, after doing a round of media self-promotion, decided to use his thunderbolts to smite Bruce Arians, relieving the offensive coordinator of his duties.

The Steelers say Arians retired. That's a lie. The Steelers decided to not renew his contract.

Head coach Mike Tomlin wanted Arians back, having reportedly told him that since the playoff loss at Denver. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is an Arians supporter and friend, having saved his job two years ago, and is said to be miffed that Arians got dismissed. Can't wait to hear what Roethlisberger has to say at the Pro Bowl (where Arians and his wife will be Ben's guest).

So, who's left? General Manager Kevin Colbert? Colbert wouldn't overrule Tomlin in this situation.

It looks like Rooney, after saying it was "Mike's decision," dropped the guillotine.

Why?

The Steelers' red-zone efficiency was dismal at Denver, leaving lots of points on the table in the first quarter. But the Steelers' defense was pathetic all day, adjusting not one bit as Tim Tebow carved them to ribbons. Arians is the scapegoat. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau is Teflon.

Looking at the regular season, the Steelers were 12th in the NFL in yards gained, just 21st in points. Not a good contrast. But the Steelers' offense was doubtless hurt by a defense that collected just 15 takeaways, fewest in the league. The offense didn't get many short fields, or easy points.

Receivers Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown each caught over 1,000 yards worth of passes. Roethlisberger threw for over 4,000. The Steelers sent four offensive players to Pro Bowl. That hadn't happened since 2004.

You can't knock the running game, either: It averaged 4.4 yards per carry, the best mark since 2001.

Looking at Arians' five-year tenure, his offense helped the Steelers get to two Super Bowls, winning one. His successor will not have done that, or do that. Guaranteed.

Arians hasn't always had the best players to work with, particularly on the line. When it comes to excellence, the Steelers spend on defense first. You can't cook gourmet meals when half your ingredients are from 7-11. All things considered, Arians did fine. Overachieved, even.

So why was Arians fired? For a few debatable play calls? Why not fire Tomlin for consistently poor clock management? Or LeBeau for the debacle at Denver?

Or why not leave pretty good alone? An early playoff exit aside, 12-4 is an excellent season.

This is bizarre. This seems like a decision made by a talk-show caller. Knee-jerk. Hasty. Against the grain.

In 2010, Rooney said that he wanted the Steelers to run more. This season, they ran on 43 percent of their offensive snaps. Is that enough? Arians is the man who minimized Steelers' icon Hines Ward. Perhaps that didn't sit well with upper management. Word is the Steelers may bring back Aaron Smith despite injuries that sidelined him for most of the last three seasons. Tradition counts.

Maybe it counts too much.

Maybe Rooney wants to pay Roethlisberger $102 million to hand off more.

Maybe Rooney wants to pound the ball on the ground, just like granddaddy's team. According to ESPN.com, sources say Arians was canned with an eye toward shifting "the offense back toward its blue-collar identity of years past, in line with the desires of Steelers president Art Rooney II."

Anybody got Jerome Bettis' number?

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).

tanda10506
01-22-2012, 10:44 PM
When I saw the title my first thought was: "no way John Madden thought we should be running 20 bubble screens a game", then I saw it was Mark Madden and didn't even need to read the full article, no need too lol.

19ward86
01-22-2012, 10:54 PM
im sorry but im tired of hearing about the 4.4 ypc...being able to run the ball situationally was our problem. not getting 100 yards.

Steelerfreak58
01-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Madden is an idiot.

TRH
01-23-2012, 12:05 AM
Madden is an idiot.

yeah...that article was a waste of time

lipps83
01-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Maybe Rooney wants to pound the ball on the ground, just like granddaddy's team. According to ESPN.com, sources say Arians was canned with an eye toward shifting "the offense back toward its blue-collar identity of years past, in line with the desires of Steelers president Art Rooney II.

While this may be true, Arians was given that goal to achieve two years ago.

Arians answer was to throw the ball deeper more often because Mike Wallace is so fast and Bruce and Ben would be so awesome their faces would get carved on Mt Rushmore.....

I think Ben and Bruce played Madden together and Bruce's schemes worked. Him and Ben would play and say "Hey, we could do that in real life".

tony hipchest
01-23-2012, 12:10 AM
madden is the pgh version of baltimore's tim lumber.

maybe madden can hire arians for his show and they can both discuss topics more up their alley such as WWE wrestling.

6RingsAndCounting
01-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Madden also calls Hines Ward "WInes Hard"... Mark Madden can shove it up his arse

tony hipchest
01-23-2012, 12:23 AM
yeah, he also mocks ryan clarks christianity and tells clarks wife to get back in the kitchen, just because she has a twitter acct.

i would say he just says the opposite of what is smart just to be controversioal and get attention, but that would give him too much credit.

GMU Steeler
01-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Not a local but I've seen the guy on numerous NFL clip shows. Exudes arrogance.

Steeldude
01-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Arians is the scapegoat. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau is Teflon

hmmm...how many times has the defense won games for the steelers in the last 20 years? the defense has been pretty much consistent, in a positive manner, over the last 20 or so years.

i know, why doesn't the offense score some points instead of relying on the defense to carry them?

madtowndrunkard
01-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Isn't this the same guy that wanted Bill Cowher fired?

He's not intelligent enough to write something worth reading...so he just writes anything controversial to get a reaction.

Last I checked, offenses were graded by the points they score. Now if we had the Browns talent on the offensive side of the ball, I'd have no issue with the points we scored... in reality we are loaded with talent. We should expect top 10 in scoring.

Bayz101
01-23-2012, 02:50 AM
I could have spent the two minutes it took me to read this shit doing something way better. WAY better :chuckle:

DanRooney
01-23-2012, 03:18 AM
We're kind of shoving Art Ronney firing Arians as opposed to Tomlin under the rug. To me this speaks volumes to how he thinks of his head coach's judgment. Not only did Art disagree with Tomlin in wanting to keep Arians for another year, but he overruled his motion to bring him back. To me it sounds like Art is starting to get annoyed by our coaching.

mesaSteeler
01-23-2012, 06:00 AM
Madden also calls Hines Ward "WInes Hard"... Mark Madden can shove it up his arse

He can't shove anything up his arse. Madden's own head is in the way.

6RingsAndCounting
01-23-2012, 09:21 AM
He can't shove anything up his arse. Madden's own head is in the way.

Touche:drink:

ricardisimo
01-23-2012, 09:30 AM
We're kind of shoving Art Ronney firing Arians as opposed to Tomlin under the rug. To me this speaks volumes to how he thinks of his head coach's judgment. Not only did Art disagree with Tomlin in wanting to keep Arians for another year, but he overruled his motion to bring him back. To me it sounds like Art is starting to get annoyed by our coaching.
Possible. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, and if Tomlin decides just to count the days until his contract is up, or if he gathers himself and moves forward. If the next OC is lights out, the point will be moot, I would guess.

6RingsAndCounting
01-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Possible. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, and if Tomlin decides just to count the days until his contract is up, or if he gathers himself and moves forward. If the next OC is lights out, the point will be moot, I would guess.

I think it's safe to say, for the sake ofTomlins career, hiring an offensive coordinator, could be one of the biggest decisions he'll ever make

jiminpa
01-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Possible. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out, and if Tomlin decides just to count the days until his contract is up, or if he gathers himself and moves forward. If the next OC is lights out, the point will be moot, I would guess.Right, and I think that's the message. "Start acting like you want to win, or update your resume." Just because it's been 42 years since the Steelers fired a HC, doesn't mean it's written in stone that they won't. They used to do it all the time. Patience and unwillingness are two entirely different things. I don't know, but I imagine that Tomlin is walking the line between the two at this moment. He DID refuse to take action on a direct order from the top, and it cost them a SB win and a SB appearance. That is rarely tolerated in business. Tomlin himself made a variation of the same statement, "We greatly appreciate what you did for the organization, but we feel it is time to move in a different direction." If the private conversation with the firee is followed with, "I'll have security help you pack your things," the part about appreciation is BS. Wanna bet Arians had help packing?

madtowndrunkard
01-23-2012, 10:14 AM
The BIG issue that doesn't get brought up too much, is fact that Big Ben gets killed on a regular basis.

I'm guessing a big reason the Rooney's wanted to see more running was because they want their franchise QB protected. Under Arians Ben was always near the top of the league in sacks. I'm willing to bet no QB was sacked more then Ben over the past 5 years. We all know Ben's style of play...it leads to sacks. But it is the OC's job to at least reduce that number. As the OC you are the boss. You have to adjust your plays to keep the sack totals down. 5 step drops 50x per game w/ deep routes isn't helping. Arians attempt to reduce the sacks was us running bubble screens 5x per game.

I'm sure Arians was told to protect Ben more and reduce the hits he's taking... it never happened. Arians was also told to improve the running game...it never happened. Arians was told to be more efficient...it never happened. I'm sure the FO expected an improvement in points scored....it never happened.... it went backwards. This was the theme going all the way back to when Arians was hired. I think 5 years is plenty of time to show some improvement... it never happened. Arians should have been fired last season. If our boss tells us to do something and we ignore it for 5 years...expect to be fired.

EbonySteel86
01-23-2012, 10:33 AM
The BIG issue that doesn't get brought up too much, is fact that Big Ben gets killed on a regular basis.

I'm guessing a big reason the Rooney's wanted to see more running was because they want their franchise QB protected. Under Arians Ben was always near the top of the league in sacks. I'm willing to bet no QB was sacked more then Ben over the past 5 years. We all know Ben's style of play...it leads to sacks. But it is the OC's job to at least reduce that number. As the OC you are the boss. You have to adjust your plays to keep the sack totals down. 5 step drops 50x per game w/ deep routes isn't helping. Arians attempt to reduce the sacks was us running bubble screens 5x per game.

I'm sure Arians was told to protect Ben more and reduce the hits he's taking... it never happened. Arians was also told to improve the running game...it never happened. Arians was told to be more efficient...it never happened. I'm sure the FO expected an improvement in points scored....it never happened.... it went backwards. This was the theme going all the way back to when Arians was hired. I think 5 years is plenty of time to show some improvement... it never happened. Arians should have been fired last season. If our boss tells us to do something and we ignore it for 5 years...expect to be fired.
Sweeeeet!!!:applaudit:

Ricco Suavez
01-23-2012, 06:09 PM
I have read Madden before and he can be as azz and/or an idiot. But since I said basically the same thing call me the same. I wrote in earlier posts about the offense having a bottom five starting field position and our defense causing the fewest turnovers in the NFL lead to the offense having to go longer for TDs more often. This in turn leads to the odds increasing of drives stalling resulting in FGs instead of TDs.

I read some where, but I can't find it now or verify it, that the Steelers lead the league in Time of Possession. A good running game is needed to keep defenses honest and control the clock. But if we led the league in TOP without a running game think what we could do with one. Now with that said I think the talk Rooney had with Tomlin and Arians last year about running more effectively could have been the fall for Arians this year. It could lead to Tomlins fall if things do not improve. This is not the old guard Rooneys, what may have been the way before could change. Tenure is not guaranteed anymore in the Steelers organization. Seems Rooney wanted change and he put his foot down, I hope that change turns out to be good for the Steelers.

Sean95m
01-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Mark Madden, his name should be Mark Ryan, he looks and whines just like the Ryan brothers. Marky Mark should have a slimfast and shut the F up! :)

LVSteelersfan
01-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Why the fat pig even has a job as a reporter is what amazes me. Anyone with any brains could see that Arians had no sense of trickery in him. Same plays over and over every game despite the opponent. The only reason we had a 12-4 record this year is the ridiculously easy schedule we had. It had nothing to do with Arians and his stupidity in red zone play calling. I don't know why they didn't use the same game plan they used against New England every single week. It worked like a charm. Of course they still didn't win by as much as they should have. It seemed like a slaughter but it was too close for comfort.

Sneak
01-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Lets back up a second here.. The Steelers are one of the most consistant teams in the NFL, year after year they are RELEVANT. Why? Without going into the mechanics of offense and defense I belive this has alot to do with attitude - that same attitude that made me into a Steeler fan in the first place.

Accountability and stability. This has quite alot to do with the owners, the Rooneys has (atleast in the past) showed patience enough to let coaching staff and players both develop over time.

I really hope that the Rooneys wont start acting like some other owners out there that give coaches a year or two and if it does not result in instant success, it means they make a change. I firmly belive thats a recepie for mediocracy.

In the case of Arians, he was given a number of years - and despite this guy Madden obviously being an idiot - he does raise a few valid points. The defense HAS been the focus of the Steelers, and rightly so - its what the Steelers are and should be about. There is alot of critisism of Arians on these boards, which is understandable as he changed the teams offensive identity into something that wasnt quite the Steelers - and I belive the change was for the best. But lets be FAIR to the guy. Every match the Steelers lose isnt the offensives fault, and every win isnt to be credited to the defense. The Steelers have been RELEVANT almost every single year during Arians tenure, and we cant put ALL of that on the defensive side of the ball (most of it, yes. All, no.)

As for the Broncos match - they didnt put up enough points. True. But what lost us that match was giving up big plays on defense.

Honestly, I think we need to be grateful for what we have 12-4, thats not a bad season, not even if we consider the one-and-done in the postseason.

As I said, I'm glad they made a change, but I PRAY that the Rooneys dont turn themselves into the kind of shallow and shortsighted owners that condem their teams to irrelevance.

Bayz101
01-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Oh boy. Mark Madden and Ron Cook must have a love affair or something :chuckle:

tony hipchest
01-24-2012, 11:26 PM
dont worry sneak, the rooneys wont turn into that.

i dont think the rooneys have neglected the offense.

ben, holmes, miller, and mendenhall were all 1st round picks in 4 out of 5 years. we traded up for holmes just like we did sweed. we spent 3rd rounders on wallace, reid, spaeth, sanders, and 2nd rounders on gilbert and sweed. 18th overall might have seem high place to take a center, but we made the OL a priortiy.

Bayz101
01-24-2012, 11:40 PM
dont worry sneak, the rooneys wont turn into that.

i dont think the rooneys have neglected the offense.

ben, holmes, miller, and mendenhall were all 1st round picks in 4 out of 5 years. we traded up for holmes just like we did sweed. we spent 3rd rounders on wallace, reid, spaeth, sanders, and 2nd rounders on gilbert and sweed. 18th overall might have seem high place to take a center, but we made the OL a priortiy.

Pretty amazing what we've been able to make out of some of these picks, isn't it?

Wallace and Brown we're both low picks for their talent, and that's just to name a couple.

OX1947
01-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Art Rooney II is not like his father or grandfather. I would say, each generation has a little more edge. The Chief was beloved and kind. Dan was the same but with more of a stern type attitude. Art II is a gangster compared to his pop and the Chief. He is very determined. I do not know him personally but in looking at how he operates and his mannerisms, they seem to be what I presume.

The Steelers have a large window here with a franchise QB. Yes there are some older players but the Steelers have youth everywhere too. Steelers can not end this era with just 2 titles. I think it would be a waste. Had they won last year, I would say, yah, I guess we got 3 and that's a lot, but 2 for some reason sounds underachieving with the amount of talent they have.