PDA

View Full Version : And then there were two

mesaSteeler
01-23-2012, 06:57 AM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.
Monday, January 23, 2012
And then there were two

The Super Bowl matchup is now set and for Steelers fans, I offer this insight.

On one side, you have the kind of offense the Steelers have long proclaimed they'd like to be - the multiple sets of New England.

On the other side is the kind of offense they should be - a Giants offense that employs two running backs to go along with its three pretty darn good receivers.

Here's why the Steelers could be the Giants offensively a lot easier than they could the Patriots.

Pittsburgh has three outstanding young receivers in Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders. Add Jerricho Cotchery to the mix - if they can re-sign him - and add in a dash of Heath Miller and the Steelers could be every bit as dangerous as New York.

The interesting thing here is that while the general belief is that the Giants are a run-first team, they decidedly were not this season. But they ran the ball reasonably well when Ahmad Bradshaw was healthy.

Rashard Mendenhall could be used in the same fashion, if, and this is a big if, he would get more looks in the passing game.

Bruce Arians always raved about Mendenhall's hands. But the Steelers rarely did much to take advantage of them.

As for Brandon Jacobs, I'd say that Isaac Redman is a better, younger version of the big back, capable of picking up a yard when you need to and help run out the clock at the end of the game.

And yes, the Giants employ a fullback, former Pitt star Henry Hynoski.

It is interesting to note that Hynoski said in a radio interview last week with Joe Starkey that the Steelers wanted to sign him as an undrafted free agent.

Odds are that whomever the Steelers hire as their new offensive coordinator, having a true fullback will become a priority once again. :applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

It is, after all, easier to find a fullback than it is the next Rob Gronkowski.

steeltheone
01-23-2012, 07:03 AM
Gronkowski is an animal but Hernandez is not far behind. That kid Saunders we have looks like he can be very special.

madtowndrunkard
01-23-2012, 10:31 AM
In a season where the quality of play and officiating was at an all time low, it's perfect that the two teams in the SB probably don't deserve to be there.

You really could argue both should have lost their respective games if it weren't for total incompetence and colossal failure of the simplest of tasks.

The NY Giants are the better TEAM in this one...so I suspect they'll lose because of a stupid penalty or botched snap or something like that.

If there is anything this season should be remember for, it's the bad product of Roger Goodell. Officials took over almost every game. Constant stoppages for reviews that were occasionally botched, ridiculous kick off rules, and a clear attempt to inflate scoring by the league.

There was obviously a clear effort to keep the officials out of the playoffs. I saw some of the worst holding and illegal contact I've ever seen and none of it was flagged. The Giants even got away with a defender lining up offside for Christ sake. With an official staring right down the LOS how on earth do you ignore the fact that they guy is lined up over the neutral zone? This is basic stuff that officials should never miss in high school, let alone the NFL. I hope this season was a fluke. because if its a sign of what is to come...yikes.

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-23-2012, 11:42 AM
I would still rather have our terrible offense though. It works for us and got us plenty of wins. But it would be definitely be much easier to go with NYG's offense because we already have the foundation. NE's offense is so complicated and predicates itself on what the defense runs, if Chad Johnson couldn't get the offense then I don't see Ben getting the offense either.

steelfury02
01-23-2012, 01:03 PM
yes - I will take our offense that played v. New England, v. Titans, v. Bengals - all while at HOME. Not the putrid offense that while helped us to a 12-4 record, crapped the bed on the biggest of stages with everything on the line on the road. You have to be able to produce on the road to get where we want them to go

Just think - where did GB's 15-1 record get them? They have the opposite problem - their bad defense was exposed.

Ricco Suavez
01-23-2012, 05:53 PM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.
Monday, January 23, 2012
And then there were two

The Super Bowl matchup is now set and for Steelers fans, I offer this insight.

On one side, you have the kind of offense the Steelers have long proclaimed they'd like to be - the multiple sets of New England.

On the other side is the kind of offense they should be - a Giants offense that employs two running backs to go along with its three pretty darn good receivers.

Here's why the Steelers could be the Giants offensively a lot easier than they could the Patriots.

Pittsburgh has three outstanding young receivers in Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders. Add Jerricho Cotchery to the mix - if they can re-sign him - and add in a dash of Heath Miller and the Steelers could be every bit as dangerous as New York.

The interesting thing here is that while the general belief is that the Giants are a run-first team, they decidedly were not this season. But they ran the ball reasonably well when Ahmad Bradshaw was healthy.

Rashard Mendenhall could be used in the same fashion, if, and this is a big if, he would get more looks in the passing game.

Bruce Arians always raved about Mendenhall's hands. But the Steelers rarely did much to take advantage of them.

As for Brandon Jacobs, I'd say that Isaac Redman is a better, younger version of the big back, capable of picking up a yard when you need to and help run out the clock at the end of the game.

And yes, the Giants employ a fullback, former Pitt star Henry Hynoski.

It is interesting to note that Hynoski said in a radio interview last week with Joe Starkey that the Steelers wanted to sign him as an undrafted free agent.

Odds are that whomever the Steelers hire as their new offensive coordinator, having a true fullback will become a priority once again. :applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

It is, after all, easier to find a fullback than it is the next Rob Gronkowski.

So this is the ideal offense Steeler fans want a two back system and a QB that passed 58 times last night and six sacks, and a 4.6 yard per pass avg. and the offnse scored 10 points off of ST blunders. And the two system backs had I believe 85 yards. I for one hope we do better than this. Giants offense did not win that game the Defense did.

6RingsAndCounting
01-23-2012, 06:37 PM
Just think - where did GB's 15-1 record get them? They have the opposite problem - their bad defense was exposed.

Yeah, but our defense got exposed by a Tim Tebow led Bronco team:banging::banging:

6RingsAndCounting
01-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Just rewatched Super Bowl 42. Man do I hate the Patriots, it re-angered me when I saw half of the Patriots team led by Belichick leave the field when there was still a second left. Go Giants all the way!

BKAnthem
01-24-2012, 12:50 AM
So this is the ideal offense Steeler fans want a two back system and a QB that passed 58 times last night and six sacks, and a 4.6 yard per pass avg. and the offnse scored 10 points off of ST blunders. And the two system backs had I believe 85 yards. I for one hope we do better than this. Giants offense did not win that game the Defense did.

You act like that was the Jints O every Game

tony hipchest
01-24-2012, 01:13 AM
Yeah, but our defense got exposed by a Tim Tebow led Bronco team:banging::banging:i wonder if you took hloti, suggs, and reed off the ravens defense if they'd get "exposed".

oh, thats right... all you gotta do to expose the ravens is put them in a championship game. :sofunny:

point is that if you take 3 of the top 6 defenders off of just about any team, they are bound to get "exposed".

i know we arent supposed to use that as an excuse, but it is a legitimate and logical reason/conclusion.

Ricco Suavez
01-24-2012, 06:45 AM
You act like that was the Jints O every Game

I do know that the Giants this year passed more than the Patriots percentage wise. Based on what i read on these forums that is not what the fans want. Check it out Eli passed on about 58.9 % vs 58.8% Brady.

6RingsAndCounting
01-24-2012, 06:18 PM
i wonder if you took hloti, suggs, and reed off the ravens defense if they'd get "exposed".

oh, thats right... all you gotta do to expose the ravens is put them in a championship game. :sofunny:

point is that if you take 3 of the top 6 defenders off of just about any team, they are bound to get "exposed".

i know we arent supposed to use that as an excuse, but it is a legitimate and logical reason/conclusion.

Shit Happens I guess

LVSteelersfan
01-24-2012, 06:43 PM
i wonder if you took hloti, suggs, and reed off the ravens defense if they'd get "exposed".

Injuries are a valid excuse when 8 or more of your players are either not playing, get hurt during the game, or are playing with an injury that holds them back (Ben and Woodley). That is a lot of players to be without. So I certainly agree with you. New England would have slaughtered us with the players we lost in that Denver game being out. Denver did us a favor of not letting us get embarrassed by those jackwads in New England.