PDA

View Full Version : Steelers likely to promote from within.

StainlessStill
01-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Steelers looking at own position coaches to fill OC vacancy
By Jason La Canfora NFL Network

The Pittsburgh Steelers likely will promote from within to fill their offensive coordinator vacancy, league sources said Monday.

Monday, Jan. 23 at 8:30 p.m. ET.

The two top candidates in that case would be quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner and offensive line coach Sean Kugler, sources said, as the Steelers' other offensive position coaches are less experienced.

Fichtner has coached quarterbacks and receivers for the Steelers in two stints with the team and spent the last five years in Pittsburgh. He also helped implement the spread offense at the University of Memphis.

The Steelers need an offensive coordinator after Bruce Arians decided to retire last week, although a league source said Saturday that the coach was told his contract wouldn't be renewed.

Follow Jason La Canfora on Twitter @jasonlacanfora.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8264111b/article/steelers-looking-at-own-position-coaches-to-fill-oc-vacancy?module=HP11_headline_stack

6RingsAndCounting
01-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Sounds like a bad idea all around

MACH1
01-23-2012, 04:14 PM
I was hoping they would fill from outside of the organization. Someone that didn't have any arians genius rub off on them.

Fire Arians
01-23-2012, 04:30 PM
I was hoping they would fill from outside of the organization. Someone that didn't have any arians genius rub off on them.

what i was hoping for too

stb_steeler
01-23-2012, 04:36 PM

Well lets hope they have learned what not to do. You know, opposite of Arians!

skinart82
01-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Only inside promotion I would have been excited about would have been Kirby. They need to try looking outside for once.

fer522
01-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Sounds like a bad idea all around

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

tony hipchest
01-23-2012, 05:56 PM
if we were gonna promote an 0-line coach to HC i think i woulda much prefered bill callahan, tony sparano, hell, even tom cable if he were available. even mike tice is interviewing for an HC job. (all of whom have prior head coaching experience).

this just looks like we were late to the dance.

i still question the steelers o-line blocking schemes which seem kinda pedestrian and ineffective. i'd hate to put the whole offensive philosophy in his hands (unless tomlin is gonna be involved more in that).

Ricco Suavez
01-23-2012, 06:14 PM
I will keep an open mind on this, but I for one hoped we would shop from outside. This could be a moment we look back on and say this made this team better or we say "hey that Arians fellow was not as bad as I remember".

3rdandlong
01-23-2012, 06:16 PM
So Randy Fichtner is the one who is responsible for implementing the spread offense whereby our receivers only go deep, taking about 5 seconds to develop, thereby getting Ben killed on an already weak offensive line. I worried that they might promote from within, perhaps a protege of Bruce. Not a good idea. Maybe he'll work out fine. Imdont really know

6RingsAndCounting
01-23-2012, 06:31 PM
If the Rooney's want to go back to "Old Steeler Football" I don't see why they would hire someone who worked for the person that ended it.

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2012, 06:53 PM
This contradicts what Gerry Dulac wrote in the P-G on Saturday as part of his article that broke down the story on the "retirement" of Arians

Tomlin will probably have to go outside the organization to hire a coordinator

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12021/1205041-66-0.stm

Note the NFL Network story refers to "league sources" which covers a lot of territory

These "sources" on what the Steelers plan to do appear to be mostly guess work :noidea:

zcoop
01-23-2012, 07:49 PM
This contradicts what Gerry Dulac wrote in the P-G on Saturday as part of his article that broke down the story on the "retirement" of Arians

Tomlin will probably have to go outside the organization to hire a coordinator

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12021/1205041-66-0.stm

Note the NFL Network story refers to "league sources" which covers a lot of territory

These "sources" on what the Steelers plan to do appear to be mostly guess work :noidea:

Yep, sounds like a bunch of talkin heads stating goblygook. We just need to wait and see.

Whodis
01-23-2012, 07:56 PM
WTF.... This sounds like something the Raiders would do

steelcity1974
01-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Makes no sense. If you want a change in philosophy, how can you hire from within? I thought the whole point of getting rid of Arians was to get a new style of offense. I really hope this report is wrong.

finesward
01-23-2012, 08:51 PM
I would like them to pick someone outside of the org if only to shut up the fans who as we can tell from all these posts already think the person will be unfit for the job and bitch and complain about every play that isn't a completion, or running play that gets stopped at the line, or interception that is thrown, or sack ben takes, etc.... Guy hasn't even been selected yet and it's already started. :chuckle: arians was a scapegoat for this team's ineptitude on offense, and while he was ultimately to blame so will be the next guy they hire. If you think a coaching change is going to magically make our o-line any better, or make Ben QB differently, or make any of our WR's any more talented your out of your g'damned minds. Not defending arians at all here either. Dude was clueless in situational football and relied wayyy to much on his safety net, Ben Roth to win games. We need to go back to being an effective running team to play our kind of ball. Our D as shown is not capable of playing great when forced to be on the field the whole game.

If your one of those guys listed and you just watched your boss pretty much get the boot for the style of offense he ran, do you REALLY think any of them would be stupid enough to just keep doing what they've been doing?? lmao

I swear some of you just HAVE to question and nitpick every decision made by anyone in charge unless it is exactly what you would have done. If anything the hire makes sense b/c they are familiar with the personnel, can make the right changes immediately to instill the kind of offense the rooney's want without much time for an evaluation.

Here's how I see our offense shaping up. 2-3 new linemen added either in draft or F/A that are road graders. BIG offensive nasty guys that pouncey can lead into becoming one of the most physical line's in the NFL. RUN the ball 25-30 times a game. Eat clock and use the 2 TE sets as our base. Bring back the bunch formations, that always did well for us and gave ben three options depending on what the defense was showing. As much as we despise arians that bunch formation was mostly his bread and butter and it has been an effective formation for them in between the 20's. Most of all we need to be more creative during the second half of games. Arians never adjusted to the defense and stubbornly ran his predictable offense until often it was too late. More bootlegs, options, delayed draws, end arounds, hell even the pooch punt was fun to see. Open the game in hurry up against the better D's and try and get up early then grind it out ala billy ball. Ben needs to be a game manager again. He can play the hero in games we need him to, but his goal each week should be to make those around him better and let them win the games for him.

I hope I'm right on this, if not we need to start scouting out a new QB cause his scrambling and being ben days are close to being finished.

zcoop
01-23-2012, 09:01 PM
I would like them to pick someone outside of the org if only to shut up the fans who as we can tell from all these posts already think the person will be unfit for the job and bitch and complain about every play that isn't a completion, or running play that gets stopped at the line, or interception that is thrown, or sack ben takes, etc.... Guy hasn't even been selected yet and it's already started. :chuckle: arians was a scapegoat for this team's ineptitude on offense, and while he was ultimately to blame so will be the next guy they hire. If you think a coaching change is going to magically make our o-line any better, or make Ben QB differently, or make any of our WR's any more talented your out of your g'damned minds. Not defending arians at all here either. Dude was clueless in situational football and relied wayyy to much on his safety net, Ben Roth to win games. We need to go back to being an effective running team to play our kind of ball. Our D as shown is not capable of playing great when forced to be on the field the whole game.

If your one of those guys listed and you just watched your boss pretty much get the boot for the style of offense he ran, do you REALLY think any of them would be stupid enough to just keep doing what they've been doing?? lmao

I swear some of you just HAVE to question and nitpick every decision made by anyone in charge unless it is exactly what you would have done. If anything the hire makes sense b/c they are familiar with the personnel, can make the right changes immediately to instill the kind of offense the rooney's want without much time for an evaluation.

Here's how I see our offense shaping up. 2-3 new linemen added either in draft or F/A that are road graders. BIG offensive nasty guys that pouncey can lead into becoming one of the most physical line's in the NFL. RUN the ball 25-30 times a game. Eat clock and use the 2 TE sets as our base. Bring back the bunch formations, that always did well for us and gave ben three options depending on what the defense was showing. As much as we despise arians that bunch formation was mostly his bread and butter and it has been an effective formation for them in between the 20's. Most of all we need to be more creative during the second half of games. Arians never adjusted to the defense and stubbornly ran his predictable offense until often it was too late. More bootlegs, options, delayed draws, end arounds, hell even the pooch punt was fun to see. Open the game in hurry up against the better D's and try and get up early then grind it out ala billy ball. Ben needs to be a game manager again. He can play the hero in games we need him to, but his goal each week should be to make those around him better and let them win the games for him.

I hope I'm right on this, if not we need to start scouting out a new QB cause his scrambling and being ben days are close to being finished.

You make a lot of sense my friend.

60_MINUTES
01-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Uh.... I dont think so.. If that were the case I would bet they would have already done it... Guys just trying to sell papers...no way we hire with in

mesaSteeler
01-23-2012, 10:14 PM
I give no credence to this report. Consider that if the Steelers hired only from within Tomlin would not be head coach, Whiz would be. This report is just a bunch of made up garbage.

ricardisimo
01-23-2012, 11:57 PM
I find it odd that the one name that never gets mentioned is Scottie Montgomery. You know, the one guy on offense whose unit has shown tangible improvement under his tutelage and produced results. :noidea:

tony hipchest
01-24-2012, 12:20 AM
"change philosopy"

lets keep in mind this is just football and not creationism vs darwinism. its not rocket science or a war. its a game, much like chess is.

I find it odd that the one name that never gets mentioned is Scottie Montgomery. You know, the one guy on offense whose unit has shown tangible improvement under his tutelage and produced results. :noidea:good point.

does anyone even know who our tight ends coach is? it worked alright when we promoted mularkey and wisenhunt to OC (both currently have an NFL HC job).

i was sure mark breuner wouldve finished a few internships by now and be ready to move up in the world. perhaps his life had taken him in a different direction.

(kinda serious about mark... word was back in the day that he would be excellent coaching material).

mesaSteeler
01-24-2012, 07:32 AM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
Steelers looking in-house first

The Steelers will look for an offensive coordinator in-house first, giving Randy Fichtner and Sean Kugler the first shot at replacing Bruce Arians.

Fichtner, the team's wide receivers coach when hired, has spent the past two seasons as quarterbacks coach.

Kugler, meanwhile, has been with the Steelers for two seasons as offensive line coach, joining them after stints in Detroit and Buffalo.

Both men are sharp and it seems becoming an offensive coordinator would be the next logical step for either man.

TRH
01-24-2012, 09:26 AM
I would be excited for Fichtner......not so much for Kugler

steelfury02
01-24-2012, 09:27 AM
anyone with a journalism degree and experience will tell you that most major networks duty is Sensationalism 101

ANYONE can report that Coach A has had this job, Coach B has had that job and that they will be considered - notice how they threw in their own opinion of what is "logical"

The point to be made is that the more articles they have - however short - gives them more links, the more links they have the more people will be visiting the site, clicking on the link - which gives the network more advertising opportunities and proven web analytics data to show their clients

The second point to be made is that in Sensationalism 101, especially in the 21st century - is that you want to be the first to break something - and you can set up the article / report in such a way that will cover you if your speculation is wrong. Today is all about quantity over quality.

As a reader, we just benefit from being able to form an opinion from whats out there and to be able to discuss it with fellow fans so nothing is scripture and take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt. Let's not spin the wheels too much though - we'll all be rooting for the Steelers long after the new O-coordinator and Ben as well, are gone

Kingmagyar
01-24-2012, 09:41 AM
I have a real problem with hiring anyone that has never called offensive plays in a game situation. When a crucial moment happens in a game and you have to make a split second decision will you have the experience needed? That is a big maybe. And a team that is on the doorsteps of another Super Bowl can't afford to be giving guys their first crack at being an offensive coordinator in the NFL.

Sean Kugler, Kirby Wilson, and Scottie Montgomery have nothing in their past to indicate they can be offensive coordinators in the NFL. At least Randy Fichter was a acclaimed coordinator at Memphis running a innovative spread offense. And a spread is exactly what the Steelers should be running considering their personnel for it. Two good Tight Ends, Mendenhall ran the spread in college, And 4 really good Wide Receivers. I believe the team needs a fullback for power formations to take over games in the 4th quarter though but if they try some old school offense full time like suggested they are living in the past and this offense will suffer for it.

This offense truly just needs a tweak as Rooney suggested. Randy Fichter may be best at implementing better red zone plays and a running game from shotgun formations. Keep a defense guessing all game long. And when you do go to the fullback power offense you can still surprise teams with the play action pass. No particular formation Spread or Power is limited to just running or passing. Here's hoping for that kind of offense.