PDA

View Full Version : Arians says he was forced to retire

mesaSteeler
01-24-2012, 06:31 AM
Arians says he was forced to retire
January 24th, 2012
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/01/24/arians-says-he-was-forced-to-retire/

The Steelers called it a retirement, but Bruce Arians has a little different take on it.

Arians told his hometown newspaper — York Daily Record — that he had little choice whether he was going to return for a sixth year as Steelers’ offensive coordinator.

“When I wasn’t offered a contract, it was an easy decision for me,” Arians said.
Arians helped the Steelers win Super Bowl XLIII and play in another before he was let go on Friday in what the organization labeled as a retirement.

According to Arians, that wasn’t the case, and owner Art Rooney didn’t give him a reason why.

“I can’t answer that question,” Arians said. “Only the people there can. That’s the
business. I know the job we did as a staff. I don’t have any regrets.”

Arians help lead the Steelers to back-to-back 12-4 seasons, and helped Ben Roethlisberger progress into one of the top quarterbacks in the league.
Arians said that Roethlisberger wasn’t happy with the decision.

“He’s not happy, but that’s part of the business,” Arians said. “He is happy for me. He lives around the corner and we’ll still see each other a lot. The phone is always there when he needs me.”

Roethlisberger and Arians live near one another in Georgia, and actually went to bat for Arians two years ago when his job was in jeopardy again.

Arians said that he has been contacted by “five or six” teams since Friday, but wouldn’t go into specifics.

Arians touched on other topics as well.

On Mike Tomlin: “My door is always open to him. I respect him a ton. I enjoyed our relationship and learned a lot. It was great watching him grow and working with him.”

On what he will miss the most: “The daily interaction with the guys is fantastic. It keeps you young, and it’s fun. That part I will miss. It’s a great group of young players in Pittsburgh that was fun to coach and will be really good, and I’m looking forward to watching them. The thrill of the games is always something you will miss . . . I will miss the camaraderie in the locker room.”

– Mark Kaboly

(Poor little Brucie, are your little feelings hurt? The Steelers tried to save face for you and be professional but you had go ahead and open you mouth. Fool! I don't hvae any sympathy for this clown. Airhead didn't do what the owner wanted and so deserves to be fired.

Why would Tomlin want to talk to you? Seems that Airhead thought he was running the team. If Tomlin ever needs to talk to Airhead then we have the wrong head coach. Brucie was "contacted" by five or six teams? I suppose they need someone to clean the toilets in the locker room.

What does concern me is that it's pretty obvious that Airhead will try poison drama queen Ben against the new OC. Given Ben's track record for stupid off the field moves and the way he has been coddled he is probably dumb enough to listen. This is why Tomlin should have fired Airhead after the Cleveland game a few years ago but it looks like Mike didn't have the stones for it.

Benjie will just have to get used to the new order. He and the Airhead do not run the team. If Benjie really throws a tantrum I suppose we can always trade him for high draft picks and start over. After all, the Steelers were here before Bengie was born and will be here after he retires.

Then again if Airhead does cause trouble and Steelers let it be known then Airhead will never get another coaching job. The worst thing you can do is trash a previous employer though I have seen people do it in interviews. Of course since Airhead is not very bright so it may happen anyway.

Here is the full story from York Daily Record. - mesa

Arians says not being offered a Steelers contract made retirement decision easy
The William Penn graduate said he wouldn't rule out a return to coaching in the future.
By FRANK BODANI
Daily Record/Sunday News
Updated: 01/24/2012 01:13:31 AM EST
http://www.ydr.com/sports/ci_19803396

William Penn graduate Bruce Arians, right, says when the Pittsburgh Steelers and team president Art Rooney II failed to offer him a contract renewal last week, he made the decision to retire. Arians spent the past five seasons as the team's offensive coordinator. (Robin Rombach/Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)
York, PA - It's not that Bruce Arians doesn't like the idea of retirement.

But right now?

For now, call it only a possible retirement. Maybe a temporary one.

When the Pittsburgh Steelers and team president Art Rooney II failed to offer him a contract renewal last week, the William Penn graduate didn't have another option.

Certainly, he will make the best of things. Arians owns a home on a lake in Greensboro, Ga. He loves to play as much golf as he can. He wants to fish.

He is intrigued by helping underprivileged kids, kids without guidance or direction. His wife works as a court-appointed special advocate, and he'd like to get involved with that, too.

He also wants to live long enough to do something other than coach, the only career for the 59-year-old since he graduated from Virginia Tech. He beat prostate cancer two years ago, and that still shakes him up at times.

"I was not going to die on the football field," is what Arians said he promised himself.

"I compare things to Joe (Paterno). I mean, God bless him, but I also saw what happened to Coach (Bear) Bryant less than six weeks after he retired. I don't want to do that. I want to see what else there is."

But right now?

Arians put it this way: While he maintains he had considered retiring before, "when I wasn't offered a contract, it was an easy decision for me."

The Steelers simply did not want him to return for a sixth season running the offense.

And Rooney didn't give him a reason why.

"I can't answer that question. Only the people there can. That's the business. I know the job we did as a staff. I don't have any regrets."

The Steelers were coming off back-to-back 12-4 regular seasons, and they reached last year's Super Bowl. Plus, the passing game thrived behind Ben Roethlisberger and the dynamic receiving duo of Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown -- all three making the Pro Bowl.

Even the maligned running game posted an improved 4.4 yards-per-carry average last fall.

Roethlisberger, in particular, is very close to Arians. The two live near one another in Georgia. The quarterback has credited Arians for much of his success and publicly campaigned for him after the 2009 season when it appeared as if Arians' job was in jeopardy.

"He's not happy, but that's part of the business," Arians said. "He is happy for me. He lives around the corner and we'll still see each other a lot. The phone is always there when he needs me."

Arians also seemed close to head coach Mike Tomlin.

"My door is always open to him. I respect him a ton," Arians said. "I enjoyed our relationship and learned a lot. It was great watching him grow and working with him."

Arians said he will miss the relationships with the players and coaches because "the daily interaction with the guys is fantastic. It keeps you young, and it's fun. That part I will miss. It's a great group of young players in Pittsburgh that was fun to coach and will be really good, and I'm looking forward to watching them.

"The thrill of the games is always something you will miss . . . I will miss the camaraderie in the locker room."

Arians hasn't ruled out a return to coaching.

Consider that he still desired to become an NFL head coach, saying he applied for every open position last year but did not get an interview. Every time, someone younger prevailed, he said.

"But I'd put my record up against any of them."

He did admit to being contacted by "five or six" new coaching job possibilities since being let go by the Steelers, although only one was intriguing. He declined to get into specifics.

So, for now, his 37-year coaching career is on hold. Along the way was a head coaching stint at Temple, the opportunity to develop a young Peyton Manning in Indianapolis and chances to coordinate offenses in Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

Although he would like to stay in the NFL, "I would say if the right hot young (college) coach needed someone like I did at Temple . . .

"I was 30 and I hired Paul Davis, and after a loss I would close the door and rant and rave and tear things up and he'd say, 'So, you wanted to be a head coach, huh?'"

For now, Arians said he will collect his NFL retirement money and golf and fish and maybe work with kids.

And probably sit around and watch the Steelers on TV, with no one to coach.

If only for one season.

Pittsburgh "was my longest stay, and I had a blast. I got to call plays in the Super Bowl twice and win one, and I wouldn't trade that for anything."
@YDRPennState; 771-2104

Boomer
01-24-2012, 06:58 AM
So he applied for every head coaching job open last year and didn’t get one single interview. And this year he gets fired, claims that 5 or 6 teams are interested but instead retires and will wait to see if anyone hires him? Yeah, OK Bruce. Whatever you say.

I really think this thing with him staying in touch with Ben could end up being trouble for our new OC and the team. Ben’s gonna have the new guy telling him one thing and then Bruce in his ear telling him something else.

Atlanta Dan
01-24-2012, 07:40 AM
So he applied for every head coaching job open last year and didn’t get one single interview.

But of course that was due to age discrimination rather than any shortcomings on the part of Bruce

Consider that he still desired to become an NFL head coach, saying he applied for every open position last year but did not get an interview. Every time, someone younger prevailed, he said."But I'd put my record up against any of them."

http://www.ydr.com/sports/ci_19803396?source=most_viewed

If only the players would execute the plays and NFL front office officials were not biased against more qualified older coaches BA woudl be on his way to Canton join LeBeau and Noll in the Hall Of Fame

Rockonsteel
01-24-2012, 07:58 AM
He wasn't FORCED to do anything. His contract with the Steelers was for one year. It expired at the end of the season in Denver the second D. Moore crossed the goalline in OT. The Steelers simply have chosen to NOT renew the contract. So, he wasn't FIRED as so many are throwing around, I guess in attempt to generate some sympathy for the village idiot or something.

Now, if he's being forced to retire as a result of this action, it will be because nobody else sees fit to offer him a job elsewhere. Please, people stop trying to make this out to be more than what it is. An employer deceiding to not renew the contract of an employer that they felt was not performing to their standard. It's that simple.

Now, it gets a little more complicated when you start talking about how ARII did so, apparently against Tomlin's wishes and desires. Tomlin may have a great win-loss record in his tenure here, along with SBs, but best believe ARII still calls the shots ultimately, and reserves the right to override the coach if he feels it's necessary. Is it always the right thing to do? No, it isn't. But, in this case, I'd say it was.

Rockon

steelfury02
01-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Gee whiz - a disgruntled employee spoke out against the employer that for all intensive purposes "fired" him

I don't even care about this guy anymore to make any more comments after that. Time to move on.

The only thing I have left to say is that Ben better stuff a sock in it - he would have a lot of nerve to open up his mouth about it and damn well better just heed the O-coordinator. You'd think after his shenanigans and basically getting his arse saved from being traded to a no-man's land team (see Palmer @ Raiders, McNabb @ Vikings) he could be a little more humble.

Hopefully Ben realizes he only has about a good solid 5 to 6 seasons left as a Pittsburgh Steeler QB - something many aspiring QBs would die to be and make the most out of his fortunate situation. See Peyton Manning. Everyone in the NFL is expendable - even the great ones.

TRH
01-24-2012, 08:23 AM
Gee whiz - a disgruntled employee spoke out against the employer that for all intensive purposes "fired" him

I don't even care about this guy anymore to make any more comments after that. Time to move on.

The only thing I have left to say is that Ben better stuff a sock in it - he would have a lot of nerve to open up his mouth about it and damn well better just heed the O-coordinator. You'd think after his shenanigans and basically getting his arse saved from being traded to a no-man's land team (see Palmer @ Raiders, McNabb @ Vikings) he could be a little more humble.

Hopefully Ben realizes he only has about a good solid 5 to 6 seasons left as a Pittsburgh Steeler QB - something many aspiring QBs would die to be and make the most out of his fortunate situation. See Peyton Manning. Everyone in the NFL is expendable - even the great ones.

Ben "stuff a sock in it"? What has HE said so far? Nothing. Most all of the time when OC's are let go, the current QB, even the high profile ones, are not happy about it. Thats not unusual, it happens all the time.

Anyway....this article wasn't a bit of a surprise...i think we all know around here that he ultimately wasn't offered to come back.
I think you'll see him resurface soon as some sort of an Assistant Coach with another team. Regardless of what you all think of him, he still held a high profile position here and we had a very successful record.....he'll land a spot somewhere and also i'm sure that somewhere else will be more than happy to get some more inside info on our game.

kan_t
01-24-2012, 08:29 AM
They're friends so Ben should be unhappy. But it doesn't mean that he would only listen to Arians. It seems that Arians just wants to get more attention by bring Ben up.

madtowndrunkard
01-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Not being offered a contract is the same as being fired. It's the ''nice" way to fire someone. Passive...and probably less expensive.

Ben is competitive and he wants to win. He'll be fine with the new OC unless we start losing. Winning cures everything. If we start losing, expect it to get ugly.

Rockonsteel
01-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Not being offered a contract is the same as being fired. It's the ''nice" way to fire someone. Passive...and probably less expensive.

Ben is competitive and he wants to win. He'll be fine with the new OC unless we start losing. Winning cures everything. If we start losing, expect it to get ugly.

He wasn't fired. They should've "fired" two or three years ago. Instead they let his contract run it's course and decided not to renew. Fired is just the buzzword the media is throwing around to generate sexy headlines. I wish he was fired. Somehow I feel cheated that they tried to make it look like he was leaving on his own terms.

When you're fired you receive a severance package, unless it's for something like theft, or some other sorted behavior. You can also collect unemployment compensation, because your expected, steady income has been abruptly halted. An expired contract that doesn't get picked up, allows both parties to walk away with no further compensation or obligation for either side.

If he was stlll under contract and his contract was terminated(fired), the Steelers would owe him the remaining dollar value of his contract. He had no contract. It expired. The Steelers don't owe him anything. They simply decided that his services were not wanted for future use.

Rockon

madtowndrunkard
01-24-2012, 09:25 AM
You are just getting into semantics. If your boss told you, your contract wasnt' renewed next week week and they were hiring someone else to do the job... you can call your self fired. You can also file for unemployment.

I could be wrong, but I don't think assistant coaches have completely guaranteed contracts? maye they do. I always thought they were only guaranteed pay for that season...and if they take another job they don't get both pay. Either way he was fired... he's being replaced by a new person. It's not the same as players or you or me. He wasn't allowed to walk because of $, or no job for him ,or what ever. He was not renewed due to performance. That's fired.

BKAnthem
01-24-2012, 09:27 AM
I think the fact that he was never in demand for a OC Job after being fired by Cleveland, and chooses to retire speaks volumes

Rockonsteel
01-24-2012, 09:31 AM
If he was in the second year of a four year deal, and the Steelers decided to let him go, then yeah, that's being fired. He was on a one year deal, that expired. The opportunity to fire him elapsed at that exact point in time. They decided not to re-sign.

I know it's really semantics, I just don't like the fact that the word is being bandied about like the Steelers somehow wronged Arians here, and I wish people would just stop it.

Rockon

MACH1
01-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Not renewing his contract is in all intense purposes is the same as being shit canned. Yesterday he had a job, today he doesn't and his position with the team is being filled by someone else hopefully more qualified. Fired, released, let go, it's all the same.

FrancoLambert
01-24-2012, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=Boomer;988877]So he applied for every head coaching job open last year and didn’t get one single interview. And this year he gets fired, claims that 5 or 6 teams are interested but instead retires and will wait to see if anyone hires him? Yeah, OK Bruce. Whatever you say.

:rofl::crying01: It appears that BA has much more talent as a "spin doctor" than as a creative and competent OC

Fire Arians
01-24-2012, 11:20 AM
But of course that was due to age discrimination rather than any shortcomings on the part of Bruce

Consider that he still desired to become an NFL head coach, saying he applied for every open position last year but did not get an interview. Every time, someone younger prevailed, he said."But I'd put my record up against any of them."

maybe that's why he's getting passed up, he's putting his 20-40 collegiate HC record against everyone else, which might be the only coach/assistant in the NFL who couldnt even break 33% as a college coach

Whodis
01-24-2012, 01:30 PM
I gave this some thought...

Does anyone else wonder why the guy never adapted or changed? When things weren't working he never deviated from the current offense.

I mean he coached like he didn't have a care in the world. If I thought I was on the hot seat, I would have been trying like hell to fix the red zone offense and get the wheels back on a "short game". It's like a guy in a blue color trade doing half ass work and showing up late for every day and then being pissed he's laid off.

Obviously no other team wanted him, so at what point do you say "ok time to get my shit together". If he could have got the offense more balanced and less predictable I would have been glad to keep him, for Ben's sake.

steelfury02
01-24-2012, 01:47 PM
you can be as contrary about my comments as you want - the fact is - you can't apply a broad stroke to any employment situation - call it what you want - but "fired" is not a sexy word - it is the situation and being fired doesn't equate to a severance package in every single situation. Yes - his contract wasn't renewed - so in essence you can call him an intermittent employee - employed by contract for a duration of time - and they no longer wish to renew the contract.

As far as Ben is concerned - while as a fan I appreciate everything he's done to make the team a winner - this isn't the first time he's felt the need to voice his opinion towards/about a a coach and frankly because of his off field antics - from one fan's perspective he really should just say no comment and move on. I'm not going to go over Ben's history and boorish behavior. I just ask to take the homer blinders off - Ben is routinely a great player - but a jerk at the same time.

truesteelerfan
01-24-2012, 01:58 PM
I agree with the posts saying he wasn't fired...his contract simply had expired and was not renewed....Thinking the other way makes me believe former players such as Burress, and ..now I"m drawing a blank....but any players who signed in free agency elsewhere were not fired were they? Contract expired, we chose to not bring him back....NOT fired.

steelfury02
01-24-2012, 02:03 PM
not renewed, fired, let go . . .what does it matter - the guy is no longer the Steeler OC and however you say it - they did not want him back for another season. In the nicest way possible - they fired him.

Rooney: Bruce - we're not renewing your contract.

Bruce: So what if I say I don't want to retire.

Rooney: Well I'm trying to give you an out here so I don't actually have to say it.

Bruce: Oh yea - ok - I'm "retired" then

Rooney: Yes - we don't want you back - exactly.

OX1947
01-24-2012, 02:21 PM

Does anyone else wonder why the guy never adapted or changed? When things weren't working he never deviated from the current offense.

I mean he coached like he didn't have a care in the world. If I thought I was on the hot seat, I would have been trying like hell to fix the red zone offense and get the wheels back on a "short game". It's like a guy in a blue color trade doing half ass work and showing up late for every day and then being pissed he's laid off.

Obviously no other team wanted him, so at what point do you say "ok time to get my shit together". If he could have got the offense more balanced and less predictable I would have been glad to keep him, for Ben's sake.

Same reason why Mike Martz, Gregg Williams and several other coaches continue to have egos so large that hey refuse to change or adapt even though it could cost their teams wins. Arians is no different. I would have fired him soley from those idiotic bubble screens. Even after Suggs snuffed it and other teams pretty much rendered it useless, he continued to call it. Stubborn ass.

Rockonsteel
01-24-2012, 02:44 PM
not renewed, fired, let go . . .what does it matter - the guy is no longer the Steeler OC and however you say it - they did not want him back for another season. In the nicest way possible - they fired him.

Rooney: Bruce - we're not renewing your contract.

Bruce: So what if I say I don't want to retire.

Rooney: Well I'm trying to give you an out here so I don't actually have to say it.

Bruce: Oh yea - ok - I'm "retired" then

Rooney: Yes - we don't want you back - exactly.

To be fired or let go, one would have to be under the employment of said company. When you allow somebody to work through the end of a contract, there is no firing, because the terms of the contract have been met timewise. Both parties are free to walk away with no further obligation to the other side. Bruce was no longer an employee of the Steelers the second the Denver game ended. His contract expired, making him unemployed at that point. He was unemployed before ARII flexed his muscles and informed he woudln't be returning for a new contract. By not renewing his contract, the Steelers effectively chose to allow him to remain unemployed rather that bring him back, to pursue employment elsewhere. We'll see how that works out for him. He doesn't have to retire, the Steelers just said that to help him save face. But, why would he retire if he had other options on the table? By saying the Steelers forced him to retire, he's basically saying nobody else will hire his bum ass.

Rockon

Steelerfreak58
01-24-2012, 03:53 PM
I bet if we were in the top 10 to 12 in scoring TDs he would have kept his job instead we were 21st out of 32 teams and it was a direct cause of us not making it to the Super Bowl this year.

Arians offense has always been suspect. Ben loving the guy doesn't mean shit when you consider that every year games were close against bottom dwellers that we should have destroyed but BA and his game plans made them dog fights. This year there were plenty of games we should have dominated and instead were made to eek out a win. (Colts game, Browns, KC,) Its a repeating pattern and has been all along.

Glad the guy is gone hope they pick someone good to replace him.

Dino 6 Rings
01-24-2012, 04:11 PM
I bet if we were in the top 10 to 12 in scoring TDs he would have kept his job instead we were 21st out of 32 teams and it was a direct cause of us not making it to the Super Bowl this year.

Arians offense has always been suspect. Ben loving the guy doesn't mean shit when you consider that every year games were close against bottom dwellers that we should have destroyed but BA and his game plans made them dog fights. This year there were plenty of games we should have dominated and instead were made to eek out a win. (Colts game, Browns, KC,) Its a repeating pattern and has been all along.

Glad the guy is gone hope they pick someone good to replace him.

Bingo...

also working up a game plan that nets 20 points against the Cardinals in the SB, and then gives up 3 Turnovers in the SB against the Packers isn't a "shining" moment for his resume. Maybe a Fullback wouldn't have missed the block Johnson missed on the Mendenhall fumble? Maybe? Just maybe a Philosophical difference wouldn't have our QB throwing a deep ball from his own endzone after pumping into double coverage...maybe our QB will have his eyes opened to the fact that sometimes, you need to check down to the Open Guy and not force the ball.

maybe next year the FG Kicker won't be the team's leading scorer, considering he can't hit from outside 45 yards!

mesaSteeler
01-24-2012, 04:43 PM

Excellent point and if I thought I was on the hot seat and the CEO of the company wanted to move in a certain direction I'd damn well move in that direction. Airhead didn't so he has only himself to blame. His massive ego and stubbornness as well as his incompetence brought about his downfall.

6RingsAndCounting
01-24-2012, 05:09 PM
He didn't preform, he got the boot, simple as that

mesaSteeler
01-24-2012, 05:27 PM
He didn't preform, he got the boot, simple as that

And now he is all butt hurt over it. What a loser. Anyone with 1/2 a brain would have realized he wasn't that popular with management based on the length of the last contract offered to him. I seem remember that it was only one year but I could be wrong about that.

LVSteelersfan
01-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Who cares about the semantics of whether he retired or was fired. He is gone and that is what really matters. DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD, THE WICKED WITCH IS DEAD.

This should put whoever takes over for Airhead that they need to change it up from what it has been. Even if they recruit from inside. QUIT DOING EMPTY BACKFIELD SETS ON THIRD AND SHORT IN THE RED ZONE AND GETTING BEN SACKED MORE OFTEN THAN NOT. Pretty simple really.

6RingsAndCounting
01-24-2012, 05:39 PM
And now he is all butt hurt over it. What a loser. Anyone with 1/2 a brain would have realized he wasn't that popular with management based on the length of the last contract offered to him. I seem remember that it was only one year but I could be wrong about that.

I don't comprehend what the man doesn't get. He didn't listen to management, and it's almost like he was daring them to fire him. When they tell you to use the run game more, use the damn run game. It's not like the management was telling him to run more just because, it's because we NEEDED to.

Atlanta Dan
01-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Peter King was on Atlanta sports talk this evening and when asked about the Steelers front office canning of Arians said the front office was dissatisfied with the lack of imagination in the passing game (bubble screen anyone?) and failure to better utilize a talented receiving corps.

Arians blames it on everyone (the spin about not getting HC interviews because of his age is a new one but telling) but himself

Good riddance

6RingsAndCounting
01-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Arians blames it on everyone (the spin about not getting HC interviews because of his age is a new one but telling) but himself

Maybe him allowing Ben to walk all over him might have caused his lack of HC interviews. It doesn't exactly look good when you let a player walk all over you.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Ok hold on.. First off been a Steeler fan since I was 9 going back to 1976 before the daggers start to fly at me, I'm not aband wagon jumper, lol. So these words are from what I feel is a devout fan.

Owning 4 different business's, and constantly moving employees in or out some with contracts, hand shake agreements or just on the books for work done. I have NEVER ever not renewed someone or fired someone without stating why they were let go. I know a lot of you think the Rooneys walk on water. But last I checked they don't. If in fact it went down the way Bruce says, than that is wrong. If in fact it went down the way Bruce says, and Tomlin isnt going to speak out, than he has become the Rooneys bitch. Obviously there are 2 sides to every story. But currently one has stepped up and said what went on.

Regardless of our feelings towards Bruce and not wanting him here, the facts apparently are, he was told thanks but no thanks have a good day. He was a part of 3 superbowl bearths and 2 Super Bowl rings. Regardless of anything, that is the fact. He has worked hard imo, and puts in the time. Sure he runs the offense like I might run my all madden steelers on PS3, but he still ran the offense. (yes I play it in my office, lol)Tomlin was his superior? Yet he seems to have skated free of any blame, if there was blame or finger pointing. The buck stops with him, doesn't it? I mean what fool would run Mendy 4 times on 4 and less than a yard? Arians? Tomlin? Certainly was not Dick L.

If Rooneys wanted to run more with those RB's behind THAT offensive line, fine, we would not have been 12-4, nor made the playoffs. If they want to run with what we have, make NO changes than. Run the ball next year more. We as fans will certainly not have to stress at all about getting home field advanatge or making the playoffs because we will not under the current make up of that Oline go anywhere running first.

Times have changed in the NFL, unless we are signing, McCoy, or Foster, there is no old time Steeler football going on anymore. LBs and DL personell or bigger and faster now, you just dont pound them into tapping out like we did with Bettis etc. Times change, the mindset has to change as well.

Now just another little thing to think of. I stated yesterday that I would not be surprised that someone might sweep in and bid up Wallace, Like the PATs. Late pick, they are a deep speed threat away from going back again next year.
So now Arians leaves, we all know who he loves right? Thats Ben... We all know the Rooneys have issues with Ben, even though he straighten himself out. The Rooneys would probably still dump him if they could because god forbid someone tarnishes the Steelers way. So here they get to show their balls are bigger than every one else. Just stirring the pot on this, but on Wallace, if I'm the Pats, I front load something big and steal him with late first round picks after the Steelers Tag him. This one could happen with some team.

SteelMusic
01-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Bingo...

also working up a game plan that nets 20 points against the Cardinals in the SB, and then gives up 3 Turnovers in the SB against the Packers isn't a "shining" moment for his resume. Maybe a Fullback wouldn't have missed the block Johnson missed on the Mendenhall fumble? Maybe? Just maybe a Philosophical difference wouldn't have our QB throwing a deep ball from his own endzone after pumping into double coverage...maybe our QB will have his eyes opened to the fact that sometimes, you need to check down to the Open Guy and not force the ball.

maybe next year the FG Kicker won't be the team's leading scorer, considering he can't hit from outside 45 yards!
http://partner-ad.photobucket.com/albums/g409/jactrades/Gifs%20and%20Macros/Positive%20Response%20Gifs/OrsonWellsApplause.gif

madtowndrunkard
01-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Peter King was on Atlanta sports talk this evening and when asked about the Steelers front office canning of Arians said the front office was dissatisfied with the lack of imagination in the passing game (bubble screen anyone?) and failure to better utilize a talented receiving corps.

Good riddance

Yet so many old coaches had no problem finding jobs, especially if they won.

I'm betting Tom Coughlan would be offered a job by every team looking if he were fired.

Everyone knows the steelers consistently win because of 2 things.... #1 The steelers front office #2 Dick Lebeau. Over the last 5 years never did anyone say "the steelers are winning because of their offense" The defense is going to need some help next year... we better improve on offense.

6RingsAndCounting
01-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Ok hold on.. 1) First off been a Steeler fan since I was 9 going back to 1976 before the daggers start to fly at me, I'm not aband wagon jumper, lol. So these words are from what I feel is a devout fan.

Owning 4 different business's, and constantly moving employees in or out some with contracts, hand shake agreements or just on the books for work done. 2) I have NEVER ever not renewed someone or fired someone without stating why they were let go. I know a lot of you think the Rooneys walk on water. But last I checked they don't. If in fact it went down the way Bruce says, than that is wrong. If in fact it went down the way Bruce says, and Tomlin isnt going to speak out, than he has become the Rooneys bitch. Obviously there are 2 sides to every story. But currently one has stepped up and said what went on.

Regardless of our feelings towards Bruce and not wanting him here, the facts apparently are, he was told thanks but no thanks have a good day. 3) ]He was a part of 3 superbowl bearths and 2 Super Bowl rings. Regardless of anything, that is the fact. He has worked hard imo, and puts in the time. Sure he runs the offense like I might run my all madden steelers on PS3, but he still ran the offense. (yes I play it in my office, lol)Tomlin was his superior? Yet he seems to have skated free of any blame, if there was blame or finger pointing. The buck stops with him, doesn't it? I mean what fool would run Mendy 4 times on 4 and less than a yard? Arians? Tomlin? Certainly was not Dick L.

4) If Rooneys wanted to run more with those RB's behind THAT offensive line, fine, we would not have been 12-4, nor made the playoffs. If they want to run with what we have, make NO changes than. Run the ball next year more. We as fans will certainly not have to stress at all about getting home field advanatge or making the playoffs because we will not under the current make up of that Oline go anywhere running first.

]Times have changed in the NFL, unless we are signing, McCoy, or Foster, there is no old time Steeler football going on anymore. LBs and DL personell or bigger and faster now, you just dont pound them into tapping out like we did with Bettis etc. Times change, the mindset has to change as well.

Now just another little thing to think of. I stated yesterday that I would not be surprised that someone might sweep in and bid up Wallace, Like the PATs. Late pick, they are a deep speed threat away from going back again next year.
So now Arians leaves, we all know who he loves right? Thats Ben... We all know the Rooneys have issues with Ben, even though he straighten himself out. The Rooneys would probably still dump him if they could because god forbid someone tarnishes the Steelers way. So here they get to show their balls are bigger than every one else. Just stirring the pot on this, but on Wallace 5), if I'm the Pats, I front load something big and steal him with late first round picks after the Steelers Tag him. This one could happen with some team.

1) Not going to call you a bandwagoner at all, I respect your opinion and agree with most of your points to an extent.
2) We don't know that what Arians said is true, for all we know, he could just be angry with losing his job and just blowing off steam,
3) Yes he has been part of that many Super Bowls, but you can also argue that he was carried there by the defense. In '08 this team was carried by the defense and Ben going no huddle late in the game.
4) I'm not too thrilled about the Rooney's wanting to go back to old Steeler football. I'm hoping that they mean that they want to become more balanced, at least to quit being so predictable. I believe that was Bruce's problem, he was so predictable because he was so quick to abandon the run during a game, I know its been said before, but it's bad when Phil Simms is calling out your plays.
5) I have a feeling you are right about this, and I have a feeling Wallace is going wherever he gets the most money. I don't know why, but I get that vibe off of Wallace, after watching the lack of effort he showed towards the end of the season, I wouldn't be shocked to see him go.

Riddle_Of_Steel
01-24-2012, 09:27 PM
Jeezus....

Reading people's comments in this thread-- one would swear that Arians must have done one, some, or all of the below to the posters on this thread:

1) raped and murdered their mother
2) got their kid sister pregnant
3) burned their favorite Steelers jersey
4) shit in their front yard

Arians is gone-- he was not a good offensive playcaller, but not as bad as some make him out to be. But he certainly doesn't deserve all the hatred he gets from all the 12 year olds on the internet.

60_MINUTES
01-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Ok hold on.. First off been a Steeler fan since I was 9 going back to 1976 before the daggers start to fly at me, I'm not aband wagon jumper, lol. So these words are from what I feel is a devout fan.

Owning 4 different business's, and constantly moving employees in or out some with contracts, hand shake agreements or just on the books for work done. I have NEVER ever not renewed someone or fired someone without stating why they were let go. I know a lot of you think the Rooneys walk on water. But last I checked they don't. If in fact it went down the way Bruce says, than that is wrong. If in fact it went down the way Bruce says, and Tomlin isnt going to speak out, than he has become the Rooneys bitch. Obviously there are 2 sides to every story. But currently one has stepped up and said what went on.

Regardless of our feelings towards Bruce and not wanting him here, the facts apparently are, he was told thanks but no thanks have a good day. He was a part of 3 superbowl bearths and 2 Super Bowl rings. Regardless of anything, that is the fact. He has worked hard imo, and puts in the time. Sure he runs the offense like I might run my all madden steelers on PS3, but he still ran the offense. (yes I play it in my office, lol)Tomlin was his superior? Yet he seems to have skated free of any blame, if there was blame or finger pointing. The buck stops with him, doesn't it? I mean what fool would run Mendy 4 times on 4 and less than a yard? Arians? Tomlin? Certainly was not Dick L.

If Rooneys wanted to run more with those RB's behind THAT offensive line, fine, we would not have been 12-4, nor made the playoffs. If they want to run with what we have, make NO changes than. Run the ball next year more. We as fans will certainly not have to stress at all about getting home field advanatge or making the playoffs because we will not under the current make up of that Oline go anywhere running first.

Times have changed in the NFL, unless we are signing, McCoy, or Foster, there is no old time Steeler football going on anymore. LBs and DL personell or bigger and faster now, you just dont pound them into tapping out like we did with Bettis etc. Times change, the mindset has to change as well.

So now Arians leaves, we all know who he loves right? Thats Ben... We all know the Rooneys have issues with Ben, even though he straighten himself out. The Rooneys would probably still dump him if they could because god forbid someone tarnishes the Steelers way. So here they get to show their balls are bigger than every one else. Just stirring the pot on this, but on Wallace, if I'm the Pats, I front load something big and steal him with late first round picks after the Steelers Tag him. This one could happen with some team.

BA is full of shit.. he gives little kid answers back to anyone that asks him something he doesnt want to answer...

Without going into detail to answer all your points I will say this plain and simple.. The Rooneys have done this for 40 years and most experts would say they have done it better then anyone else in history.. not to mention they dont make a ownership that is more loyal then the rooneys... 3 head coaches in the past 40 years.. and your gonna support a cry baby that has been bitching and taking cheap shots at fans and everything else for a few years.. If he is to stupid to figure out why he was fired then he is worse then I thought... The guy was 21st with a Team that most experts think have more Talent on O then anyone in the league period. Your goona say the Rooneys are at fault... how many coaches air out shit like this after being let go????? wow BA acted just as I thought he would

Just move on the Steelers made you big money and BEN played school yard ball and made you look good as well...

Main thing is simple.. Its the NFL people get fired everyday because teams want to go a different direction.. So the Rooneys think the O should be better what is hard to understand about that move on already

Bayz101
01-25-2012, 12:47 AM

Good riddance

Thanks for bringing this to my attention :thumbsup:

tanda10506
01-25-2012, 04:41 AM
#5- If Wallace goes to New England the rest of the league can pack it up and take a few years off. They have 1 wr and 2 te's and still tear it up without any deep threat. If Wallace is there drawing a double coverage or drawing the safeties real deep and forcing LB's to cover Gronkowski and Hernandez while leaving Welker one on one in the slot then there is no stopping them. If they got Wallace and a few defensive players they would be looking at another 16-0 season especially with their usual powder puff schedule. Rooney said he wanted to change and improve the offense and he did already. Losing your fastest and maybe your best WR wont make the offense better. He also said keeping Wallace was a big prority, I am confident we will keep him, plus we know the consequences if he goes to the Pats.

Bayz101
01-25-2012, 04:50 AM
#5- If Wallace goes to New England the rest of the league can pack it up and take a few years off. They have 1 wr and 2 te's and still tear it up without any deep threat. If Wallace is there drawing a double coverage or drawing the safeties real deep and forcing LB's to cover Gronkowski and Hernandez while leaving Welker one on one in the slot then there is no stopping them. If they got Wallace and a few defensive players they would be looking at another 16-0 season especially with their usual powder puff schedule. Rooney said he wanted to change and improve the offense and he did already. Losing your fastest and maybe your best WR wont make the offense better. He also said keeping Wallace was a big prority, I am confident we will keep him, plus we know the consequences if he goes to the Pats.

I went back and looked through previous posts and pages in this topic, but I can't find who suggested Mike Wallace would be heading to NE? But that's beside the point for me. If it was my decision, and it came down to Brown or Wallace, i'd probably keep #84.

Rockonsteel
01-25-2012, 07:08 AM
BA is full of shit.. he gives little kid answers back to anyone that asks him something he doesnt want to answer...

Without going into detail to answer all your points I will say this plain and simple.. The Rooneys have done this for 40 years and most experts would say they have done it better then anyone else in history.. not to mention they dont make a ownership that is more loyal then the rooneys... 3 head coaches in the past 40 years.. and your gonna support a cry baby that has been bitching and taking cheap shots at fans and everything else for a few years.. If he is to stupid to figure out why he was fired then he is worse then I thought... The guy was 21st with a Team that most experts think have more Talent on O then anyone in the league period. Your goona say the Rooneys are at fault... how many coaches air out shit like this after being let go????? wow BA acted just as I thought he would

Just move on the Steelers made you big money and BEN played school yard ball and made you look good as well...

Main thing is simple.. Its the NFL people get fired everyday because teams want to go a different direction.. So the Rooneys think the O should be better what is hard to understand about that move on already

B-I-N-G-O!!!

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

The way BA is handling this is extremely petty. But, not surprising at all coming from the guy who answered every question regarding the offense with, "I called the perfect play, the guys just didn't execute it", and of course, the classic, "we don't adjust to what the other team is doing, we just do what we do". WHAT?!?! Isn't that what an offensive coordinator is paid to do? I'm so glad he's the hell up outta here.

Rockon

TRH
01-25-2012, 07:56 AM

When the hell are NE' s O-line going to come down with multiple, major injuries???????? :sofunny:

Atlanta Dan
01-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Getting back to the thread topic, sounds like Art Rooney agrees with Bruce the departure was not voluntary

Steelers president Art Rooney II offered a slightly different version about Bruce Arians' departure than the official announcement by the team last week that the offensive coordinator had retired.

"Bruce had talked about retirement for a few years now. I think it was time for a change, and we're looking forward to moving on."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12025/1205966-100.stm

tony hipchest
01-25-2012, 06:52 PM
what is funny is that after the initial reports were that bruce had retired (which everybody with a half a brain knew wasnt true) both bruce and the steelers org rushed to the podium to say he was basically forced out and no longer welcome.

i think its pretty funny that art II wants no part in the public thinking that bruce left on his own accord.

Steel Peon
01-25-2012, 10:14 PM
"Consider that he still desired to become an NFL head coach, saying he applied for every open position last year but did not get an interview."
Now this statement on Bruce's part only stirs the pot even more. Not only were many of Arians' critics pointing out the fact that no teams were seeking to interview him for a HC position, but now it's revealed that he even seeked them out, and got no interviews! Personally Bruce, I woulda' kept that shit to myself.

jiminpa
01-25-2012, 10:30 PM
Now this statement on Bruce's part only stirs the pot even more. Not only were many of Arians' critics pointing out the fact that no teams were seeking to interview him for a HC position, but now it's revealed that he even seeked them out, and got no interviews! Personally Bruce, I woulda' kept that shit to myself.Yeah, clearly the man is a genius.

Kanata-Steeler
01-26-2012, 09:08 AM
A recent Interview with Borat and Arians', on Arian's "Retirement" ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sg8G7gZV7E
:wave:

Bayz101
01-26-2012, 09:11 AM
A recent Interview with Borat and Arians', on Arian's "Retirement" ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sg8G7gZV7E
:wave:

:rofl: