PDA

View Full Version : max starks due for a payraise?

tony hipchest
07-03-2006, 02:45 PM
looks like there may be no alternative after this season. pat kirwan analysis shows a recent trend that may set the standard.

http://nfl.com/news/story/9512082

83-Steelers-43
07-03-2006, 02:53 PM
That's tough. Personally, I don't feel Max deserves a payraise just yet. While he is getting better with time, I recall on a few occasions last season of him getting pushed around and put on his butt, in some cases by players much smaller than himself.

tony hipchest
07-03-2006, 03:24 PM
That's tough. Personally, I don't feel Max deserves a payraise just yet. While he is getting better with time, I recall on a few occasions last season of him getting pushed around and put on his butt, in some cases by players much smaller than himself. personally i see him playing out his rookie contract. hes not a player like o. pace or j. ogden coming out of college. but i do think after another year or 2 under r. grimm, he can become one of the cornerstones of the line.

i think he would get offered more than k. vincent or o. ross in free agency. the price of keeping a polamalu could mean losing a player like starks and plugging in another younger guy. i want starks to improve but that may just shorten his stay as a steeler.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Another year under his belt with Grimm as his coach and he could definately be something special. He's got that RT position nailed down and he's got a HUGE upside. I'd definately wait till the end of this season though before I start offering more money. Just to make sure he's gonna be healthy and keep progressing. Good tackles arent easy to find so assuming he continues to do well we wont want to let him go.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Max Starks was very inconsistent last year. Which is understandable since it was his first year as a starter. So, before the Steelers even think about giving him more money the Steelers should wait and see how Starks plays this season. But like someone said in the posts above with Troy Polamalu's contract coming up soon that could lead the Steelers not to resign Max. But the Steelers do have Trai Essex on the bench as well and that could be another reason not to resign Max Starks.

Bottom line this is a make or break year for Max Starks. But I don't think he will be resigned when his contract is up. With Troy's contract up soon and Trai Essex. I just don't see Max being resigned.

tony hipchest
07-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Max Starks was very inconsistent last year. Which is understandable since it was his first year as a starter. So, before the Steelers even think about giving him more money the Steelers should wait and see how Starks plays this season. But like someone said in the posts above with Troy Polamalu's contract coming up soon that could lead the Steelers not to resign Max. But the Steelers do have Trai Essex on the bench as well and that could be another reason not to resign Max Starks.

Bottom line this is a make or break year for Max Starks. But I don't think he will be resigned when his contract is up. With Troy's contract up soon and Trai Essex. I just don't see Max being resigned. i fear you may be right. then i look at the inconsistant play i. taylor, t. polamalu, b. roethlisberger, and w. parker had in their 1st years as starters and wonder...

id hate to see him turn into a stalwart with another team but the economics may leave us no other choice.

SteelShooter
07-03-2006, 04:34 PM
I'm pretty much going to have to jump onto the bandwagon on this one. He is promising....VERY promising. But he still has a little way to go in the discipline department. During the colts playoff game, he showed his immaturity as a player with the offsides penalties. I don't think he should be making those mistakes at this point in his career. Not like I DID expect it from Trai Essex.

Let's wait and see. But I can believe that Grimm can keep molding him to become an outstanding lineman, perhaps one day as good as Alan Faneca....perhaps.

Elvis
07-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Max is a decent RT and I would like to see what happens this coming up season before they try to resign him to a new contract.. Is his contract up after this upcoming season, did he not signa 4 year deal to start with as a rookie? If it comes down to him or Troy I dont think there is Any Question who gets resigned!!
God Bless All
Elvis

Black@Gold Forever32
07-03-2006, 04:38 PM
i fear you may be right. then i look at the inconsistant play i. taylor, t. polamalu, b. roethlisberger, and w. parker had in their 1st years as starters and wonder...

id hate to see him turn into a stalwart with another team but the economics may leave us no other choice.

I, agree I would hate to see him turn into a very good RT with another team. But like you pointed out Tony, thats alot of big names to give new contracts to. But we do have Trai Essex in the mix as well. So I do feel better if the Steelers do indeed can't afford to resign Max, that we have another young tackle in the fold just incase.

nicesteel4life
07-03-2006, 06:29 PM
I agree pretty much across the board, But I think Max also has more to prove. We know he's got the Steeler Charm, We Know he helped get a ring, but he still gets pushed around alittle more than you would think with his size. I truly think we maybe able to keep him if he has a good season. This will probably be the last year of Hartings as well with Okobbi stepping in that position for less money next, so your not going to want to many holes to fill with unexperienced talant, not saying Essex cant do it. Plus we got a few young'ns there that might surprise us....

Haiku_Dirtt
07-04-2006, 03:17 PM
Another year under his belt with Grimm as his coach and he could definately be something special. He's got that RT position nailed down and he's got a HUGE upside. I'd definately wait till the end of this season though before I start offering more money. Just to make sure he's gonna be healthy and keep progressing. Good tackles arent easy to find so assuming he continues to do well we wont want to let him go.

"Huge upside" -a pun if there ever were one. Our right side could be a BIG issue. I agree with BnG 32. I think he still struggles to get his massive frame leveraged against the best opposition. But can Grimm move his technique and footwork to the next level???

We're watching this closely. If he can play like he's in the bottom of the top tier then I think they'll extend him. Here's to praying for a healthy Duce. That would help.

SteelerFanInCA
07-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Starks is not there just yet. I think he needs to show a few years of consistency before he can talk serious pay raise.

I remember seeing him get laid out flat on his back by defenders that were a lot smaller than him. A guy that big shouldn't be getting bullied around by any body. :boxing:

GoFor6
07-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Max contract is over after this year but he will be a restricted free agent like Ike Taylor was. They will most likely give him a qualifying offer next February like Ike requiring a first round compensation and then try to negotiate a contract next summer.

If Ike gets his money this year and Starks has another good year - I suspect the Steelers will play it the same way with Max. Max should stick close to Simmons for a few more years and then go for the gold since he will mostly likely have a 12-14 year career he will get the best money after 6 or 7 years and a few rings.