PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever pulled a "Roethlisberger?"

siss
07-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Roethlisberger, golfers share bond
HOWARD RICHMAN
The Kansas City Star

Redman

What do Ben Roethlisberger and Phil Mickelson have in common?

Leave it to zany CBS golf commentator Gary McCord, in town last week for the Greater Kansas City Golf Classic, to make the connection. McCord said Mickelson?s double bogey on the 72nd hole, which cost him a shot at winning the U.S. Open, was stunning.

?That was the greatest exhibition of hacking and whacking I?ve ever seen,? said McCord, who finished tied for ninth Sunday at Nicklaus Golf Club at LionsGate.

Here?s where the Mickelson-Roethlisberger stuff comes. Roethlisberger is the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback who wasn?t wearing a helmet when he suffered a crash on his motorcycle last month.

?Let?s just not pick on Phil. What about Monty (Colin Montgomerie, who also blew a golden opportunity on the last hole with a double bogey)? This was one of the greatest collapses of our time, a massive crash,? McCord said. ?It was a Roethlisberger. No helmets. They all should have had helmets.?

I'm not sure if I should laugh or write the guy angry letters?

tony hipchest
07-04-2006, 01:59 PM
what an idiot. he might as well just called it pulling a payne stewart, or a dale earnhardt, or a derrick thomas. and he left out greg norman in the masters.

write the angry letter and make note of payne (rip)

SteelShooter
07-04-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm not quite sure either.

Luckily, we are in the position to be able to "hunt" for humor embedded within his analogies. In a worse case scenario, we could all be completely enraged by the marring of a memory of someone who is no more.

Thankfully, Ben is alive, well, and recovering quite nicely from what I have been reading. It could have EASILY been much, much more sad.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-04-2006, 02:35 PM
He likes to swat the hornets nest. If he is looking for a reaction then what better way than to drag Ben into a golf analogy...Johnny Cochran material.

Steel12
07-04-2006, 03:15 PM
He likes to swat the hornets nest. If he is looking for a reaction then what better way than to drag Ben into a golf analogy...Johnny Cochran material.

R.I.P. Johnny

nicesteel4life
07-05-2006, 12:03 AM
Stupid! Weak, but what else do you exspect.

MattsMe
07-05-2006, 01:39 AM
Normally I like Gary McCord. He adds humor to a sport that's usually taken way too seriously. But I think he was reaching with his Big Ben analogy.

My favorite comment of his is the one he made on the air at the master's one year. He said the greens were playing so fast it was like they'd been bikini waxed. Augusta promptly banned him from the tournament, and he hasn't been a commentator there since.

section514
07-05-2006, 10:51 AM
if phil would have fallin into a sand trap and sprained his knee and McCord said he pulled a Palmer, we would all have laughed, we steeler fans need to start taking jokes about ben, we will be hearing them for a while, and its not like Big ben was killed (or ruined his football career), so we can't compare his comments to pain or dale sr.

take a joke guys, yah its a low joke, but shrug it off

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-05-2006, 11:06 AM

If the helmets not in place...you may bust up your face

MattsMe
07-05-2006, 05:52 PM
if phil would have fallin into a sand trap and sprained his knee and McCord said he pulled a Palmer, we would all have laughed, we steeler fans need to start taking jokes about ben, we will be hearing them for a while, and its not like Big ben was killed (or ruined his football career), so we can't compare his comments to pain or dale sr.

take a joke guys, yah its a low joke, but shrug it off

I'm not offended by the joke at all, I just don't see the connection. Now if he'd said Phil had pulled a Peyton Manning, that would have made more sense.

tony hipchest
07-05-2006, 05:59 PM
no. but im sure natalie gulbis has. :jerkit:

CantStop85
07-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Haha...it was a bit of a reach, but it still deserves a chuckle.

Pulling a Manning I think would've been more appropriate.

BBC
07-05-2006, 06:21 PM
I'm missing the analogy. How does blowing a lead related to not wearing a helmet on a bike?

CantStop85
07-05-2006, 08:02 PM
I'm missing the analogy. How does blowing a lead related to not wearing a helmet on a bike?
?Let?s just not pick on Phil. What about Monty (Colin Montgomerie, who also blew a golden opportunity on the last hole with a double bogey)? This was one of the greatest collapses of our time, a massive crash,? McCord said. ?It was a Roethlisberger. No helmets. They all should have had helmets.?