PDA

View Full Version : New on the Rumor Wire

katk9
07-05-2006, 05:59 AM
Here's what the article said yesterday.

Falcons running back T.J. Duckett remains on the Steelers radar because of their concerns over the durability of Duce Staley, according to the Sporting News.

The Steelers are wise to worry about Staley's durability considering he's played only 15 games since arriving after the 2003 season. Duckett would be logical choice to step in for the retired Jerome Bettis and could immediately fill the role Bettis left behind.

ARKIESTEEL
07-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Here's what the article said yesterday.

Falcons running back T.J. Duckett remains on the Steelers radar because of their concerns over the durability of Duce Staley, according to the Sporting News.

The Steelers are wise to worry about Staley's durability considering he's played only 15 games since arriving after the 2003 season. Duckett would be logical choice to step in for the retired Jerome Bettis and could immediately fill the role Bettis left behind.

Could you get a link to this?

HometownGal
07-05-2006, 08:32 AM
I found this on the USA Today website:

http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=NFL&id=2124

Jul. 3, 2006 - 11:02 a.m. ET

The Falcons believe the Steelers may become interested again in T.J. Duckett.

The two sides negotiated during the NFL draft, but couldn't come to an agreement. Pittsburgh wants a safety net if Duce Staley gets hurt, so the deal makes sense for both sides.

Source: SportingNews.com

83-Steelers-43
07-05-2006, 08:33 AM
INSIDE DISH:

T.J. Duckett and Matt Schaub, the two Atlanta players mentioned most frequently in offseason trade talk, haven't fallen off other teams' radars as much as late June and early July represent one of the few dead zones in the NFL. Coaches and front-office executives are usually on vacation, but once camp is underway, the Falcons believe the buzz will resume spinning around Duckett's future

Duckett, however, will remain an object of Pittsburgh's attention. Given Duce Staley's durability concerns and the retirement of Jerome Bettis, the Steelers could inquire soon about Duckett's availability, but the Falcons won't trade him until they see if third-round draft choice Jerious Norwood is capable of effectively holding the No. 2 job behind Warrick Dunn.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/team...ons/index.html

ARKIESTEEL
07-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Thanks buddy!!!

83-Steelers-43
07-05-2006, 08:35 AM
N/p ARKIE. :smile:

X-Terminator
07-05-2006, 08:47 AM
I really hope a deal gets done, because Staley is like glass. He had injury problems even before the Steelers signed him and I was surprised that they gave him the amount of money they did knowing that he was fragile.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-05-2006, 09:09 AM
I really hope a deal gets done, because Staley is like glass. He had injury problems even before the Steelers signed him and I was surprised that they gave him the amount of money they did knowing that he was fragile.

I'm not horrified by the prospect of Staley being our power back...I think the press forgets that he volunteered to sit some games out last year so the bus could play his final year...that being said...Duckett is an upgrade to Staley

Ambridge
07-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Tell me again why Holmes was the Steelers first pick??

X-Terminator
07-05-2006, 09:46 AM
I'm not horrified by the prospect of Staley being our power back...I think the press forgets that he volunteered to sit some games out last year so the bus could play his final year...that being said...Duckett is an upgrade to Staley

I'm not horrified at it either, and I certainly haven't forgotten about him stepping aside for the Bus last season...but I want him out on the field rather than in the training room.

ARKIESTEEL
07-05-2006, 10:02 AM
I think Duckett could carry a bigger load than Staley. TJ might could be our starter too

nicesteel4life
07-05-2006, 10:22 AM
YUP YUP....Were all hoping DUCE will be there to do it..But I know it's still a scary thought. I keep in Mind that a few years back before he was with the Steelers he was voted One of the Toughest Players for always playing hurt by the players, now look....

section514
07-05-2006, 10:26 AM
YUP YUP....Were all hoping DUCE will be there to do it..But I know it's still a scary thought. I keep in Mind that a few years back before he was with the Steelers he was voted One of the Toughest Players for always playing hurt by the players, now look....
i give him this season, if he can't get anything done or gets hurt now that the bus is gone, I say buy out his contract and get him out of here. In the mean time, I will just have to play madden 07 with the 2005-06 steelers so I have bussie in my back field

BB2W
07-05-2006, 10:32 AM
I think Duce can get the job done if he's healthy, but I'm all for bringing in Duckett. I think he would be a perfect fit in Pittsburgh in the "power back" role.

CowherLover
07-05-2006, 10:43 AM
He's been in the league for 5 years and should still be fresh since Dunn got the nod, I'd say it would be a great acquisition. Wonder what his price tag would be?

SteelerFanInCA
07-05-2006, 12:07 PM
If we can get Duckett without having to give up the farm, I say bring him in. He definitely looks like he still has a lot of gas left in his tank.

Authentic Jerseys
07-05-2006, 01:31 PM

Steelers have no deep threat. Ward is good, however he lacks speed. I like the pick. I am also a Buckeye by heart. You all will see just how good Holmes can be.

Blitzburgh55
07-05-2006, 02:34 PM
I think Duce can get the job done if he's healthy, but I'm all for bringing in Duckett. I think he would be a perfect fit in Pittsburgh in the "power back" role.
Those are the keywords

Haiku_Dirtt
07-05-2006, 02:47 PM

It's enough to make a sane happy man indulge in tranquilizers. And that touchdown machine is a Titan. :screwy:

Haiku_Dirtt
07-05-2006, 02:54 PM
I think Duckett could carry a bigger load than Staley. TJ might could be our starter too

I dunno. What slack I'm willing to give to Staley is the amount of rest Cowher forced him to take. Staley could have played the end of the season but Cowher made the right choice. He must be 100% heathly by now which I don't think was the case coming into camp last season.

Why do I feel like Atlanta is trying to get someone to take the bait? Adding TJ to the infirmary and losing a 3rd round pick is a choice I hope we don't have to make.

Thunder is in Tenn.

DIESELMAN
07-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Rookie Jerious Norwood is pushing TJ for the #2 spot and if he doesn't get it hes picking up the dirty-birds offense pretty fast he'll take some of TJ's goal line and 3rd downs from him. I don't see Staley staying healthy for even a half of a season. Staley is 32 and TJ is 26.

GoFor6
07-05-2006, 05:25 PM
No Way on Duckett. We don't need a whinnnnner. Verron and Duce will do the job in 2006 and Cedric Humes is being prepared for the future.

CantStop85
07-05-2006, 05:36 PM
If the Steelers actually do trade for TJ Duckett, it makes you question why they didn't just take LenDale White in the draft.

Anyway, I don't think trading for TJ would be worth it. You'd probably give up a 3rd rounder and you already have your featured back in Parker. Surely Duce Staley can stay healthy enough to be a short yardage back...and if not there's still Haynes. Plus, you have Cedric Humes to look forward to in the future.

tony hipchest
07-05-2006, 05:43 PM
If the Steelers actually do trade for TJ Duckett, it makes you question why they didn't just take LenDale White in the draft.

Anyway, I don't think trading for TJ would be worth it. You'd probably give up a 3rd rounder and you already have your featured back in Parker. Surely Duce Staley can stay healthy enough to be a short yardage back...and if not there's still Haynes. Plus, you have Cedric Humes to look forward to in the future. noone would give up a 2nd rounder for e. james or s. alexander. any team would be completely nuts to give up a 3rd rounder. we may not even get a compensetory pick for el or hope. possibly a 4th, in which case we may offer our 4th.

Authentic Jerseys
07-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Cedric Humes > TJ Ducket!!!!!!

Watch out for this kid!

ROYND1
07-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Cedric Humes > TJ Ducket!!!!!!

Watch out for this kid!
I agree I like Humes alot and think he could be a sleeper back for short yardage situations.I actually wanted the Steelers to draft him all along and was shocked we got him so low.He doesn't have alot if mileage and is a big,strong back.As for Duckett he's hurt just as much as Staley so that's trading one headache for another.I thought Duckett was gonna be awesome coming out of college but he hasn't been anything special.If he was so good why would Atlanta trade him,Dunn is 31 thats getting up there for running backs!

Authentic Jerseys
07-05-2006, 07:09 PM
I agree I like Humes alot and think he could be a sleeper back for short yardage situations.I actually wanted the Steelers to draft him all along and was shocked we got him so low.He doesn't have alot if mileage and is a big,strong back.As for Duckett he's hurt just as much as Staley so that's trading one headache for another.I thought Duckett was gonna be awesome coming out of college but he hasn't been anything special.If he was so good why would Atlanta trade him,Dunn is 31 thats getting up there for running backs!

I like your avatar! Lloyd was the hitter. Too bad injury plaqued the rest of his potential.

SteelCzar76
07-05-2006, 07:28 PM
I was all for us drafting Lendale,...but everything happens for a reason. ? The reality is the Falcons run a "west coast" offense,.. so needless to say Duckett is not exactly a perfect fit (to say the least). But in our system,..with the guy's we have up front,.. he could do big things.
The knock on T.J is that he does'nt "Go Hard" every play. But i don't think motivation or lack thereof would be a problem with our coaching staff and vets. Duce has always run a little to upright to me and lacks fluidity. I also think his size is not natural,..like he bulked up to be a "power back",..and this has resulted in him being a "China Doll".
However,..if he could stay healthy along with Duckett and (Willie providing the "Homerun threat"),.. we could have the depth to run at will on any team in the league. Humes is practice squad all day. It may seem a little unconventional but,..you do what it takes. This way,..Ben get's the benefit's of the receivers we picked up to compliment Hines and Heath,....and we still remain true to STEELER FOOTBALL. (Physical!!!)

"Hail Caesar,...Hail the Black and Gold"

Stlrs4Life
07-05-2006, 07:36 PM

I hear ya, Lendale would have looked good in B&G.

But, I also like Duckett. And no, I do like Fast Willie Parker.

ben2hines=6
07-06-2006, 12:24 AM
i dont understand people being high up on this cedric humes guy....he fumbles the ball, which everybody knows we dont put up with....tj is young and has extreme leg power to bust through pretty much anything.....this guy would be great in back and gold....and no way we give up a third rounder...its not like the falcons want him there...if we get him its gonna be for maybe a 4th but more likely a 5th or 6th

Authentic Jerseys
07-06-2006, 08:20 AM
i dont understand people being high up on this cedric humes guy....he fumbles the ball, which everybody knows we dont put up with....tj is young and has extreme leg power to bust through pretty much anything.....this guy would be great in back and gold....and no way we give up a third rounder...its not like the falcons want him there...if we get him its gonna be for maybe a 4th but more likely a 5th or 6th

Humes fumbled due to the larger collge ball. The scouts reported on the length of his forearms. They are short, as compared to your proto-typical back. The analysis was, the smaller pro ball will not be a factor. Some are saying, with the right system, Humes "could" be a version of Earl Cambell.

Big D
07-06-2006, 10:09 AM
i'm huge on Lendale white I think we should have drafted him. I think he has a huge amount of potential and would have been a perfect fit in our system. Call me stupid but I think we passed on earl campbell. But I also think Duckett would be a good fit in our system. He is a power back. And power back have a great history under cowhers system

ARKIESTEEL
07-06-2006, 10:47 AM
They said white spent his off season working out at taco bell

Haiku_Dirtt
07-06-2006, 03:12 PM

I didn't see anything from Humes at VA Tech that suggests he is anything more than a short yarder. But we have who is probably one of the more underrated Steelers in Verron to give us not only short yards but a timely veiled passing threat - 10yd+ average when they do throw to him.

He doesn't bitch and complain and he knows the system. I'd rather have him at No. 2 if Duce breaks down.

Big D
07-06-2006, 03:14 PM
I didn't see anything from Humes at VA Tech that suggests he is anything more than a short yarder. But we have who is probably one of the more underrated Steelers in Verron to give us not only short yards but a timely veiled passing threat - 10yd+ average when they do throw to him.

He doesn't bitch and complain and he knows the system. I'd rather have him at No. 2 if Duce breaks down.
and duce hasnt had a healthy season in a few years. Not trying to beat a dead horse or anything but it just proves the steelers should have drafted a running back with there first round pick whether it be Deangalo williams or lendale white

ARKIESTEEL
07-06-2006, 03:16 PM

I think you are right I like Veron I think he fits the mold of what we need

BlackNGold203
07-06-2006, 03:38 PM
I would love to see Duckett here...but the Steelers wont give up the farm to get him in a trade...

I still think Duce can hang in the Bettis role...limited short yardage and 4th quarter duty....150 carries or so...he can stay healthy