PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Stars Wage Hunger Strike

HometownGal
07-05-2006, 11:12 AM
To protest the Iraq war and "demand" the return of our troops. Of course, Cindy Sh*tcan is leading the pack. I'm sure GWB will take notice of this and pull our troops out of Iraq quick and in a hurry. Riiiiiiiight. :rolleyes: Bunch of buffons.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/03/060703223431.le4pgg36.html

US stars align in anti-Iraq war hunger strike
Jul 03 6:34 PM US/Eastern

Star Hollywood actor-activists including Sean Penn and Susan Sarandon and anti-war campaigners led by bereaved mother Cindy Sheehan plan to launch a hunger strike, demanding the immediate return of US troops from Iraq.

As Americans get set to fire up barbeques in patriotic celebration of US Independence Day on July 4, anti-war protestors planned to savour a last meal outside the White House, before embarking on a 'Troops Home Fast' at midnight.

"We've marched, held vigils, lobbied Congress, camped out at Bush's ranch, we've even gone to jail, now it's time to do more," said Sheehan, who emerged as an anti-war icon after losing her 24-year-old son Casey in Iraq.

The hunger strike was the latest bid by the US anti-war movement to grab hold of American public opinion, after numerous marches, vigils and political campaigns.

Despite polls which show the Iraq war is unpopular and many Americans are skeptical of President George W. Bush's wartime leadership, peace protests have not hit the opinion-swaying critical mass seen during Vietnam War.

"We have been continually sheltered from the actual cost of war from the beginning," said Meredith Dearborn, of human rights group Global Exchange, explaining how anti-Iraq war protests have stuttered.

While 2,526 US soldiers have died since the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, according to an AFP tally based on Pentagon figures, the impact of the deaths has rarely dominated headlines.

While it is not unusual to see an Iraq-war veteran or amputee in an airport for instance, or newspaper features on horrific injuries inflicted by roadside bombs in Iraq, the United States hardly feels like a nation at war.

Some protestors and experts in public opinion put that down to the absence of the Vietnam War style conscription draft, which means only professional soldiers or reservists can be sent off to war.

"We have done everything we could think of to end this war, we have protested, held marches, vigils ... lobbied, written letters to Congress," said Dearborn.

"Now it is time to bring the pain and suffering of war home. We are putting our bodies on the line for peace."

Perhaps the only time the anti-Iraq war movement captured lasting coverage was in August 2005, when Sheehan and supporters pitched camp outside Bush's Texas ranch, where the president habitually stays in high summer.

Even then, the fiercely partisan debate unleashed may have harmed Sheehan, who faced fierce fire from conservative groups and radio talk show hosts, as much as it hurt the Bush administration's image over Iraq.

The hunger strike will see at least four activists, Sheehan, veteran comedian and peace campaigner Dick Gregory, former army colonel Ann Wright and environmental campaigner Diane Wilson launch serious, long-term fasts.

"I don't know how long I can fast, but I am making this open-ended," said Wilson.

Other supporters, including Penn, Sarandon, novelist Alice Walker and actor Danny Glover will join a 'rolling" fast, a relay in which 2,700 activists pledge to refuse food for at least 24 hours, and then hand over to a comrade.

Though the anti-war movement is trying hard to puncture public perceptions, some experts believe such protests have little impact on how Americans view foreign wars.

Ohio State University professor John Mueller for example, argued in the Foreign Affairs journal in December, that only rising US casualties could be proven to erode public support for a conflict.

Anti-war movements during the Korean and Iraq wars have been comparitively invisible, but public support had eroded in a similar way to the Vietnam conflict, in which the peace movement played a dominant role, he wrote.

Recent polls reveal public scepticism over Iraq, and damage to Bush's personal ratings.

In a poll in Time magazine published Friday, only 33 percent of respondents approved of Bush's leadership on Iraq while 64 percent said they disapproved his handling of the campaign.

A Pew Research Center poll released on June 20, found that only 35 percent of Americans approved of Bush's handling of the Iraqi conflict -- though that was up five percent from a similar poll in February.

83-Steelers-43
07-05-2006, 11:40 AM
:coffee:

Fine by me. Don't eat. More meat for the rest of us. Idiots.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-05-2006, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=HometownGal]
The hunger strike will see at least four activists, Sheehan, veteran comedian and peace campaigner Dick Gregory, former army colonel Ann Wright and environmental campaigner Diane Wilson launch serious, long-term fasts.

"I don't know how long I can fast, but I am making this open-ended," said Wilson.

Other supporters, including Penn, Sarandon, novelist Alice Walker and actor Danny Glover will join a 'rolling" fast, a relay in which 2,700 activists pledge to refuse food for at least 24 hours, and then hand over to a comrade.

To protest the idiocy of this...I am prepared to fast every day this year from 8:30 a.m. till 9:00 a.m. :dang:

ARKIESTEEL
07-05-2006, 11:58 AM
I think we should pull the hollywood actors out of hollywood before they starve to death. Maybe send in a UN peace keeping force and some tofu. I for one will go to my deep freeze tonight pull out some t-bones(that came off my farm) get some coals going and eat one about some where between medium rare and rare raise a cold burbon and 7 and drink a toast to our fine boys and girls who are sticking their necks out so our fine hollywood types dont have to eat for 24hours. What a shame these folks have brought to the names of great hollywood types like John Wayne and Bob Hope that went to their death beds supporting the troops and this great country. Shame on you and to think all you are doing is 24 hours if i felt strongly about something I bet I could go more than 24hours. Broke back hollywood

X-Terminator
07-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Anyone else recover yet from laughing so hard?

SteelerFanInCA
07-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Sounds like it's time for me to fire up the bar b q for some steaks and chicken. Anyone for meat?

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-05-2006, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=HometownGal]

To protest the idiocy of this...I am prepared to fast every day this year from 8:30 a.m. till 9:00 a.m. :dang:

I have further decided to not eat during sleeping hours.

CowherLover
07-05-2006, 12:41 PM
I think we should pull the hollywood actors out of hollywood before they starve to death. Maybe send in a UN peace keeping force and some tofu. I for one will go to my deep freeze tonight pull out some t-bones(that came off my farm) get some coals going and eat one about some where between medium rare and rare raise a cold burbon and 7 and drink a toast to our fine boys and girls who are sticking their necks out so our fine hollywood types dont have to eat for 24hours. What a shame these folks have brought to the names of great hollywood types like John Wayne and Bob Hope that went to their death beds supporting the troops and this great country. Shame on you and to think all you are doing is 24 hours if i felt strongly about something I bet I could go more than 24hours. Broke back hollywood
Damn Arkie, you sound like my kind of dinner companion. Except I like scotch! :cheers:

ARKIESTEEL
07-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Damn Arkie, you sound like my kind of dinner companion. Except I like scotch! :cheers:

Markers Mark bourbon lime lots of ice 7 up.

Ambridge
07-05-2006, 01:18 PM
I heard Nicole Richie has been denied permission to participate in the Hunger Strike.

Stupid Hollywood Pinheads. :jerkit:

ARKIESTEEL
07-05-2006, 01:20 PM
I heard Nicole Richie has been denied permission to participate in the Hunger Strike.

Stupid Hollywood Pinheads. :jerkit:

That chick could live on toothpaste and whatever protein she picks up on saturday night

sorry that was bad of me:banging:

DIESELMAN
07-05-2006, 01:39 PM
You know what screw these people they think just because they are movie stars that their actions should be something to take notice of. As far as I'm concerned they put their pants on one leg at a time just like me and you. They ain't shit to me.....:helmet:

HometownGal
07-05-2006, 02:34 PM
I've reconsidered my position here. I'm going to join in their hunger strike and make the ultimate sacrifice by refusing to eat liver and brussel sprouts until the last soldier comes home from Iraq.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Susan Sarandon needs to go away....She has got old-actress syndrome and is just doing whatever she can to get attention....I'm not saying she is old but I hear her bra size is a 36 long.

ARKIESTEEL
07-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Susan Sarandon needs to go away....She has got old-actress syndrome and is just doing whatever she can to get attention....I'm not saying she is old but I hear her bra size is a 36 long.

Last time I seen her she could do for some dieting anyway so maybe this will all work out for her.

83-Steelers-43
07-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Sean Penn: "America is wrong, America is bad, I'm not eating"............*get's back into his $80,000 sports car and drives back to his mansion in Hollywood* :rolleyes:

Why can't Sean Penn just be a good out of touch with reality nut like Johnny Depp and move to France?

tony hipchest
07-05-2006, 05:23 PM
...and in an act of patriotism, hotdog eating champ kobayashi, vows to eat a hotdog for every one of these actor morons to show support of the troops.

not really (would be cool though). dude cant even speak english. but that american dude should give it a shot for some pub.

CAH
07-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Anyone want to take bets on how many of them gain weight during the hunger strike?

83-Steelers-43
07-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Hollywood = "Little Man". Enough said. Way to go Hollywood. http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808676620/info

Here's an idea. Try producing better movies (in which you get paid to do) compared to the #$%@ you are putting out there now. Whatever happened to good movies? I really don't give a #&%@ about Penn's political opinons Act, make your millions (and only in this country), and make better movies.

tony hipchest
07-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Hollywood = "Little Man". Enough said. Way to go Hollywood. http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808676620/info

Here's an idea. Try producing better movies (in which you get paid to do) compared to the #$%@ they are putting out now. Whatever happened to good movies? Really don't care about your political agenda's.

??????

lol. whats wrong with "little man"? dont tell me you werent a fan of "dont be a menace in the hood while drinking your juice..." :sofunny: or "scary movie". good stuff.

(ive always been a fan of the wayans going back to "im gonna get you sucka" and "in living color") some pretty good comedians came out of that genre.

hollywood has been dry for years. if it werent for star wars and marvel comics being made into new releases, who knows where they would go.

83-Steelers-43
07-05-2006, 11:12 PM
??????

lol. whats wrong with "little man"? dont tell me you werent a fan of "dont be a menace in the hood while drinking your juice..." :sofunny: or "scary movie". good stuff.

(ive always been a fan of the wayans going back to "im gonna get you sucka" and "in living color") some pretty good comedians came out of that genre.

hollywood has been dry for years. if it werent for star wars and marvel comics being made into new releases, who knows where they would go.

I can't say that I'm a fan. I enjoy a good comedy, but it seems this film is begging for laughs (AKA, smoke tons of crack and take a few gel tabs if you want to laugh).

TH, keep me updated on what "Little Man" pulls in......:smile:

ARKIESTEEL
07-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Could you just picture those big transports the air force have CH-130's droping out loads of bean sprots, tofu, mineral water, organic grow chicken, and this weeks copy of PEOPLE, so the folks we each pay $7.50 to go see dont starve to death. Is there any way we can get these folks some help maybe Steve Wonder can do another We Are The World cd to sell so the money could buy a big mac for Danny Glovers fat ass(who made most of his money shooting something in movies) . These "types" hate the USA and are ashamed to be from here I heard Madona on tv the other night she sounds like she is from England last time I checked she was from Jersey. We all need to just not complain and give till it hurts send all the money to me Chairman of save the Hollywood Rich Fondation.

I will see that it gets to where it needs to go

HburgXL06
07-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Why can't Sean Penn just be a good out of touch with reality nut like Johnny Depp and move to France?

At least Johnny Depp is a good actor. I can't wait for Pirates of the Carribean 2 to come out.

That chick could live on toothpaste and whatever protein she picks up on saturday night

sorry that was bad of me:banging:

No, just correct.

BuFu

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Could you just picture those big transports the air force have CH-130's droping out loads of bean sprots, tofu, mineral water, organic grow chicken, and this weeks copy of PEOPLE, so the folks we each pay $7.50 to go see dont starve to death. Is there any way we can get these folks some help maybe Steve Wonder can do another We Are The World cd to sell so the money could buy a big mac for Danny Glovers fat ass(who made most of his money shooting something in movies) . These "types" hate the USA and are ashamed to be from here I heard Madona on tv the other night she sounds like she is from England last time I checked she was from Jersey. We all need to just not complain and give till it hurts send all the money to me Chairman of save the Hollywood Rich Fondation.
I will see that it gets to where it needs to go

Why do I suspect that money recieved for the "Save the Rich Foundation" may be spent on bullets to humanely put them "out of their misery.....$50 coming your way!!!!

ARKIESTEEL
07-06-2006, 12:33 PM
Why do I suspect that money recieved for the "Save the Rich Foundation" may be spent on bullets to humanely put them "out of their misery.....$50 coming your way!!!!

Well bullets are cheap most of the cost would go into trips to see the Steelers play and beer to get the awful picture of starveing rich actors out of my head.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Well bullets are cheap most of the cost would go into trips to see the Steelers play and beer to get the awful picture of starveing rich actors out of my head.

I have a plan...all we need is an airplane...a parachute and 200 lbs of arsenic-laced caviar......

HburgXL06
07-06-2006, 01:17 PM
I have a plan...all we need is an airplane...a parachute and 200 lbs of arsenic-laced caviar......

Better add some sushi and politically correct organic grow on the purest hilltops of existence salads just in case some of them only eat the hippest foods and think caviar is "so yesterday."

BuFu

ARKIESTEEL
07-06-2006, 01:19 PM
They always fall for the starbucks coffee trick