PDA

View Full Version : Look out for Ben R.

Stlrs4Life
07-05-2006, 07:43 PM
According to John Clayton:

3. Ben Roethlisberger, 24, will mature into a Pro Bowl-caliber passer this season, and he can partly thank his recent motorcycle accident for assisting in the process. The motorcycle accident was a wake-up call for him. Roethlisberger is a good kid. His stubbornness in riding a motorcycle without a helmet and buying faster, more dangerous bikes represents his flirtation with the wild side. Those days are gone. He will come out of this accident more focused and much more humble. Before the accident, Roethlisberger spent the offseason working on plays to make the offense more open to passing. He's lifting weights and trying to get his body ready for the first practice at the Steelers' training camp in Latrobe, Pa. Though his face is puffy with bruises from the accident, he could have a full training camp.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...t&lid=tab5pos2

tony hipchest
07-05-2006, 07:56 PM
8. Peyton Manning will have his best postseason thanks to the league's recent rule change that allows quarterbacks to handle the balls prior to games. This is huge.

:horror:

the league will do ANYTHING to help manning succeed!

BBC
07-05-2006, 08:09 PM
8. Peyton Manning will have his best postseason thanks to the league's recent rule change that allows quarterbacks to handle the balls prior to games. This is huge.

He get's to do it early enough during the week that he'll be able to rub them down and make them easier to grip...

Interesting.

tony hipchest
07-05-2006, 08:10 PM
im thinking carson palmer will benefit from this new rule.

BBC
07-05-2006, 08:13 PM
im thinking carson palmer will benefit from this new rule.

I don't know about benefiting, but he'll sure as hell enjoy it. If only they threw some cornhole in there too.

tony hipchest
07-05-2006, 08:15 PM
I don't know about benefiting, but he'll sure as hell enjoy it. If only they threw some cornhole in there too.:sofunny:right.

carson does toss a mean cornhole.

BBC
07-05-2006, 08:21 PM
:sofunny:right.

carson does toss a mean cornhole.

You don't need to tell that to Marvin, I'm sure he was present at Carson's Cornhole Classic.

tony hipchest
07-05-2006, 08:38 PM
You don't need to tell that to Marvin, I'm sure he was present at Carson's Cornhole Classic.
wasnt he playing with the legendary Giant harry carson?

:sofunny: (damn i kill me)

BlackNGold203
07-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Read down further on Clayton's list...and you'll see him ass smooching the Ravens...

Sorry...I just dont see McNair saving that team

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Carson and Peyton will certainly enjoy rubbing each other 's balls getting ready for games :blurp:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-05-2006, 11:09 PM
I thought before the accident that Ben was going to have a really great year and put himself among the top QB's in the game. Now after the accident I think even more he will have a monster year. I really see Ben more determined to improve his overall game.

SteelShooter
07-05-2006, 11:10 PM
All of these.............

:sofunny: LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sofunny:

Steel Pit
07-06-2006, 06:30 AM

He's going to have to do more than rub the balls. Thanks to Dick LeBeau and the Steelers defense, NFL defenses will no longer stay put in their called defense while Peyton Manning audibles and changes personnel assignments allowing him to take advantage of a weakness in the called defense.

Just as the Steelers did in the playoff game against the Colts, you will see more and more defenses shifting and moving around just prior to Manning calling for the snap therefore thwarting his audibles and adjustments. It was a simple concept. I don't understand why it took NFL coodinators so long to figure it out. Peyton Manning ain't SHEAT but a big ole sissy when you pressure him.

Big D
07-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Read down further on Clayton's list...and you'll see him ass smooching the Ravens...

Sorry...I just dont see McNair saving that team
thats all he has been doing since the ravens got mcnair. next thing you know he will pick the ravens to win the superbowl

nicesteel4life
07-06-2006, 10:17 AM
STOP!!!! STOP!!!! Were going to be having Archie come on the Boards and fight for the honor of his Kids...What a JOKE!, The Manning Family is a LOSER Family Period..And they dont belong in a better area than Texas as there home. OH DADDY DADDY, I dont want to be in California. Please!

Sorry had to get that off my Chest!
I truly believe that if the Manning Boys could speak for themselfs I might like them a little.

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Big D
07-06-2006, 10:17 AM
5. Randy Moss will rebound to have a good second season with the Raiders. Moss sounds more relaxed these days. His first season in Oakland made him miserable. He struggled with a groin injury that zapped most of his breakaway speed. He kept quiet and didn't promote controversy, but the few times he talked he sounded as though he was losing his enthusiasm for the game. Moss has been giving a few more interviews thanks to his smoothie business venture. Moss sounds as relaxed as he did when he had back-to-back 100-catch seasons with the Vikings in 2002 and 2003. Watch for him to be back at a Pro Bowl level this season, putting up big numbers
I know this is off the topic. But I disagree with this. I have a feeling the randy moss we saw with the vikings is gone. He doesnt have a very good work ethic and he is now injury prone. Good thing for raiders fans the vikings gave him away. My concern with ben is that when he throws the ball over 20 times we have a history of losing.

HometownGal
07-06-2006, 10:35 AM
He's going to have to do more than rub the balls. Thanks to Dick LeBeau and the Steelers defense, NFL defenses will no longer stay put in their called defense while Peyton Manning audibles and changes personnel assignments allowing him to take advantage of a weakness in the called defense.

Just as the Steelers did in the playoff game against the Colts, you will see more and more defenses shifting and moving around just prior to Manning calling for the snap therefore thwarting his audibles and adjustments. It was a simple concept. I don't understand why it took NFL coodinators so long to figure it out. Peyton Manning ain't SHEAT but a big ole sissy when you pressure him.

I totally agree here, Steel Pit. The tape of the Steelers/Colts game is going to become the most wanted game tape out there by DC's who have a game against the Colts. Peytoon clearly showed his fears of being pressured in that game and how discombooberated he became when the Steelers were in his face for much of the game, throwing him off of his timing and causing him to run for his life and cry for DaDa Archie. :busted:

ARKIESTEEL
07-06-2006, 11:12 AM
I totally agree here, Steel Pit. The tape of the Steelers/Colts game is going to become the most wanted game tape out there by DC's who have a game against the Colts. Peytoon clearly showed his fears of being pressured in that game and how discombooberated he became when the Steelers were in his face for much of the game, throwing him off of his timing and causing him to run for his life and cry for DaDa Archie. :busted:

I once was discombooberated. After years of self help books pills and going to my shrink 4 times a week I can say Hi I am Doug and I have been DISCOMBOOBERATED and still feel good about me as a person

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-06-2006, 11:18 AM
I once was discombooberated. After years of self help books pills and going to my shrink 4 times a week I can say Hi I am Doug and I have been DISCOMBOOBERATED and still feel good about me as a person

*in chorus* "HI DOUG!!!"

SteelerFanInCA
07-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Looking for Ben to have a great year.

"Manning can't blame slick footballs for his poor play in playoff games" OK, let's see what he can blame.. ummm how about Joey Porter for starters. Man, can they cater any more towards this clown?

Haiku_Dirtt
07-06-2006, 03:21 PM

That's such chicken s**t. The more Manning I get the more I dislike his shtick. But what the league can't do is fix his offensive line. "Protection issues" (insert Joey pancake sack video here) :mallet:

Somehow I doubt the ball is going to be the factor in winning the Super Bowl. Maybe it will help Ike hold onto one. :hope:

Livinginthe past
07-06-2006, 03:48 PM

Yep.

Thank the lord for the Steelers D and its co-ords.

I wish that the Patriots had been the ones to work out Manning and apply pressure to make him fail...in playoff games.....

Shifting D-alignments when Manning audibles - I just wish Crennel had thought of it first - if he had he coulda taken the same tactics to a no mark Browns team and have them hold the Colts to 13 points and no passing TDs.

NM

tony hipchest
07-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Yep.

I wish that the Patriots had been the ones to work out Manning and apply pressure to make him fail...in playoff games.....

Shifting D-alignments when Manning audibles - I just wish Crennel had thought of it first - if he had he coulda taken the same tactics to a no mark Browns team and have them hold the Colts to 13 points and no passing TDs.

NMwow. crennel leaves. peyton slices them up in foxboro. now that the young secondary is healthy, mangini is gone. plus manning gets to rub his balls? spells an end of a dominant era over the colts. looks like pats will be struggling with 2 horsie teams.

Livinginthe past
07-06-2006, 04:19 PM
wow. crennel leaves. peyton slices them up in foxboro. now that the young secondary is healthy, mangini is gone. plus manning gets to rub his balls? spells an end of a dominant era over the colts. looks like pats will be struggling with 2 horsie teams.

FWIW, Mangini never really brought as much to the table in his short time as some people would think.

I think Clayton has missed the point completely - getting to feel the game ball is really not the issue with peyton come playoff time - its not purely technique or physical - its a mental, presure related thing.

I am greatly looking forward to seeing the Colts back in Foxboro this coming year - Colts v Patriots (The Revenge of The Revenge of The Revenge).

NM

Big D
07-06-2006, 04:21 PM
FWIW, Mangini never really brought as much to the table in his short time as some people would think.

I think Clayton has missed the point completely - getting to feel the game ball is really not the issue with peyton come playoff time - its not purely technique or physical - its a mental, presure related thing.

I am greatly looking forward to seeing the Colts back in Foxboro this coming year - Colts v Patriots (The Revenge of The Revenge of The Revenge).

NM
i'll be there by the way. And I dont think touching his balls will make a difference neither. Either way when he gets up to the line he likes to dance around like a dumbass

Livinginthe past
07-06-2006, 04:49 PM
i'll be there by the way. And I dont think touching his balls will make a difference neither. Either way when he gets up to the line he likes to dance around like a dumbass

I envy you Big D.

I know you are in the Boston area - how come you are going to this game...and who will you be rooting for?

NM

Big D
07-06-2006, 04:52 PM
I envy you Big D.

I know you are in the Boston area - how come you are going to this game...and who will you be rooting for?

NM
well the wife is a pats fan unfortunetly so I will be rooting for the pats. And even if i didnt have the influence of the poon i would still be going for the pats, Mannings are fags

Livinginthe past
07-06-2006, 05:12 PM
well the wife is a pats fan unfortunetly so I will be rooting for the pats. And even if i didnt have the influence of the poon i would still be going for the pats, Mannings are fags

Wife is a Pats fan eh?

Well they do call them the 'better half' for a reason I guess :cool:

Hope you enjoy your day there.

NM

Big D
07-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Wife is a Pats fan eh?

Well they do call them the 'better half' for a reason I guess :cool:

Hope you enjoy your day there.

NM
me too! she is actually worried about getting cold. very sad. very very very sad

Steel Pit
07-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Yep.

NM

I'm not saying that the Patriots didn't have Manning's number. They sure as heck rattled his cage. No one is going to argue that point. It's my opinion that the Patriots scheme to shutting down Manning was a lot more complicated than the Steelers scheme. All I'm saying is that the Dick LeBeau and the Steelers provided the rest of the league with a "SIMPLE" and I repeat, "SIMPLE" solution to shutting down Manning.

I've watched Manning and the Colts play numerous games but it wasn't until I saw the Steelers/Colts playoff game that I witnessed Manning being shut down with such a simple philosophy.

Livinginthe past
07-07-2006, 03:28 AM
I'm not saying that the Patriots didn't have Manning's number. They sure as heck rattled his cage. No one is going to argue that point. It's my opinion that the Patriots scheme to shutting down Manning was a lot more complicated than the Steelers scheme. All I'm saying is that the Dick LeBeau and the Steelers provided the rest of the league with a "SIMPLE" and I repeat, "SIMPLE" solution to shutting down Manning.

I've watched Manning and the Colts play numerous games but it wasn't until I saw the Steelers/Colts playoff game that I witnessed Manning being shut down with such a simple philosophy.

Well its arguable whether you actually did shut Manning down in the playoff game.

Manning completed 58% of his passes, threw for very nearly 300 yards and threw for 1TD and no interceptions (none that were given anyway).

But for a shanked Vanderjerk FG this game was going to OT.

Compare that to the dominance of of the 'original and best' performance of the Patriots D against Manning in the 03 season.

Manning completed 49% of his passes, threw for only 237 yards, and most importantly imploded to the tunes of 4 INTS and 1 TD.

I think you are correct about the level of complication in the Patriots schemes - they are possibly the most complex in the NFL.

However, not every team will be able to follow the Steleers model of 2005 either, they simply dont have the depth and quality on D that the Steelers have (especially in the LB corps).

NM

slashsteel
07-07-2006, 03:45 AM
The stats don't show the dominance. we owned the Colts in that game until the overturned MAUL INT. I think most people would agree we frustrated Manning throughout the game..............

Livinginthe past
07-07-2006, 04:06 AM
The stats don't show the dominance. we owned the Colts in that game until the overturned MAUL INT. I think most people would agree we frustrated Manning throughout the game..............

Sure, I'll give you that - the Steelers certainly frustrated Manning.

I just dont think it was a 'dominant' game plan that shows other teams ,weaker than the Steelers, how to combat Manning on a regular basis.

NM

Stillers#1
07-07-2006, 04:21 AM

NM

Of course he didn't, thats why an NFL team hired him to coach their players, he must be terrible. I mean, s*h*i*t, he is a product of the FUPA.

Steel Pit
07-07-2006, 05:05 AM
Sure, I'll give you that - the Steelers certainly frustrated Manning.

I just dont think it was a 'dominant' game plan that shows other teams ,weaker than the Steelers, how to combat Manning on a regular basis.

NM

I'll agree with that, the weaker teams may not come away with a victory but I will offer you this: There will be no more "Fantasy Football League Hall of Fame" numbers for Peyton Manning. It used to make me sick to see Peyton Manning audible his way into 400 yard, 4 TD passing performances against inferior teams. I believe that even the inferior teams will slow him down quite a bit if they follow the prescribed formula of disguising their intended defense until after Manning calls his audibles.

ARKIESTEEL
07-07-2006, 07:06 AM
Them Lb's jumpin up to the line and then jumpin back plus Troy cheating up to the line messed with his mind for sure. Also you had them corners showing blitz what was good was the DE poping back into zone. The last few years teams have thrown everthing they got into trying to cover the WR when all you had to do was knock him on his ass. I realy dont like the colts.

HometownGal
07-07-2006, 09:54 AM
Compare that to the dominance of of the 'original and best' performance of the Patriots D against Manning in the 03 season.

Manning completed 49% of his passes, threw for only 237 yards, and most importantly imploded to the tunes of 4 INTS and 1 TD.

I think you are correct about the level of complication in the Patriots schemes - they are possibly the most complex in the NFL.

However, not every team will be able to follow the Steleers model of 2005 either, they simply dont have the depth and quality on D that the Steelers have (especially in the LB corps).

NM

If I remember correctly, Mother Nature played a huge part in that game, as it was held in Gillette Stadium under adverse weather conditions. I'm not saying that the Pats didn't dominate that game, as they did, but over the years, Peyton hasn't fared as well outside of his protective little dome as he has inside of it.

In last year's playoff game against the Colts, the Steelers marched into the Colts' backyard and totally dominated the Colts and Peyton Manning from start to finish. Had it not been for a bad call on the Polamalu INT, the fumble and THE TACKLE, that game was over before the first half.

X-Terminator
07-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Not only that, but the rules were much more favorable to defensive backs at that time. The 5-yard "chuck" rule was rarely enforced and DBs could clutch and grab receivers off the line of scrimmage all day long, and the Pats took full advantage of it. I'm not taking anything away from their performance that day, but it was what it was.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Well its arguable whether you actually did shut Manning down in the playoff game.

Manning completed 58% of his passes, threw for very nearly 300 yards and threw for 1TD and no interceptions (none that were given anyway).

But for a shanked Vanderjerk FG this game was going to OT.

NM

Dude the Steelers defense went into the RCA Dome and held the Colts offense to 18 points and won the game. Thats all I care about. Early in that game the Steelers defense did dominate the Colts offense and Peyton Manning. Peyton did find a rythem late in the 3rd quarter and fourth quarter. But thats to be expected with that much talent the Colts have on offense and the fact the Colts were playing in the nice comfort of the RCA Dome.

SteelerFanInCA
07-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Dude the Steelers defense went into the RCA Dome and held the Colts offense to 18 points and won the game. Thats all I care about. Early in that game the Steelers defense did dominate the Colts offense and Peyton Manning. Peyton did find a rythem late in the 3rd quarter and fourth quarter. But thats to be expected with that much talent the Colts have on offense and the fact the Colts were playing in the nice comfort of the RCA Dome.
The situation couldn't have been setup any easier for them to win the whole thing. I guess they forgot one small thing; couldn't stop Pittsburgh from coming to town.

Livinginthe past
07-08-2006, 05:27 AM
I'll agree with that, the weaker teams may not come away with a victory but I will offer you this: There will be no more "Fantasy Football League Hall of Fame" numbers for Peyton Manning. It used to make me sick to see Peyton Manning audible his way into 400 yard, 4 TD passing performances against inferior teams. I believe that even the inferior teams will slow him down quite a bit if they follow the prescribed formula of disguising their intended defense until after Manning calls his audibles.

Thats an interesting point, Steelpit.

Do you think you will see most teams shifting their alignment right before the snap this year when they play the Colts?

Personally, I think he will struggle to sell the play-action unless Addai and Rhodes put up some good numbers early season.

I remember one trick play he tried to pull against the Patriots in the 2004 playoffs - he walked along the LOS waving his hands in the air (as he does just about every snap) and the centre snapped the ball direct to the Edge who ran for the 1st down.

The refs called an infraction and the Colts bench went crazy - they had planned this for a whole week.

Turns out Manning ruined the play, because as he went in motion he became an eligible receiver - and he forgot to stop moving before the ball was snapped - excellent call by the refs.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing if teams do decide to mix things up on D right before the snap - I think only very disciplined teams such as the Steelers and Patriots can pull this off on a regular basis without confusing themselves.

NM

Livinginthe past
07-08-2006, 05:33 AM
If I remember correctly, Mother Nature played a huge part in that game, as it was held in Gillette Stadium under adverse weather conditions. I'm not saying that the Pats didn't dominate that game, as they did, but over the years, Peyton hasn't fared as well outside of his protective little dome as he has inside of it.

In last year's playoff game against the Colts, the Steelers marched into the Colts' backyard and totally dominated the Colts and Peyton Manning from start to finish. Had it not been for a bad call on the Polamalu INT, the fumble and THE TACKLE, that game was over before the first half.

You are quite correct - it was tough conditions for throwing that day in Gillette.

Thats a good point, that i'll concede that Peyton historically struggles more outside his dome and that the Steelers had a tougher job containing him.

NM

Livinginthe past
07-08-2006, 05:36 AM

Thats another fair point.

The conditions make the comparison a little unfair - i'll hold my hand up to that one.

Sometimes I dont see the woods through the stats :blurp:

NM