PDA

View Full Version : Which former Steeler most deserves to be in the HOF?

LambertLunatic
07-05-2006, 10:22 PM
L.C. Greenwood
Donnie Shell
Dermonti Dawson
Greg Lloyd

Amazingly, none of these Steeler greats have been inducted into the Hall of Fame yet. IMO they each deserve to be inducted. Which of these guys do you folks think is the most deserving? My vote would go to Dawson, with Lloyd a close 2nd.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-05-2006, 10:25 PM
L.C. Greenwood
Donnie Shell
Dermonti Dawson
Greg Lloyd

Amazingly, none of these Steeler greats have been inducted into the Hall of Fame yet. IMO they each deserve to be inducted. Which of these guys do you folks think is the most deserving? My vote would go to Dawson, with Lloyd a close 2nd.

Well it would be hard not to put Dirt Dawson ahead of that list. Some say he was the greatest center ever. So yea I think he deserves to in the Hall of Fame. But I'm going with Donnie Shell. He had over 50 career INT's and really was the underrated player of that defense. So I think Donnie Shell should be in the Hall of Fame also.

Blitzburgh55
07-05-2006, 10:28 PM
LC for sure
Maybe Llyod

stlrtruck
07-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Anyone that played on the 70's teams should be high on the list. But I would have to go with Dermonti. Man was he the foundation of the O-Line for the longest time.

What about Rod, isn't he due to be up for induction soon?

Black@Gold Forever32
07-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Anyone that played on the 70's teams should be high on the list. But I would have to go with Dermonti. Man was he the foundation of the O-Line for the longest time.

What about Rod, isn't he due to be up for induction soon?

Well I think with Rod Woodson there is no doubt he will be a first ballot Hall of Famer. So that shouldn't even be a question. Rod was truely one of the best alltime.

SteelCityMan786
07-05-2006, 10:43 PM
All of the above. If you are a Pittsburgh Steeler you belong in the HOF.(As long as you were good at least)

tony hipchest
07-05-2006, 10:46 PM
unfortuantely, one of my favorite players ever (greg lloyd) has no shot of being inducted, let alone nominated. i think dawson has the best shot. greenwood and shell should already be in.

ben2hines=6
07-05-2006, 10:59 PM
how about gary anderson????

BigDude66687
07-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Gotta go wit LC, and then Dawson

CantStop85
07-05-2006, 11:23 PM
How about Jerome Bettis? lol

shimmysteelerfan
07-06-2006, 12:02 AM
Def. LC.

Steel Pit
07-06-2006, 01:18 AM
Kordell Stewart. Remember that he once said that he was going to Hall Of Fame. LMFAO

section514
07-06-2006, 08:17 AM
gary anderson deserves it, lc and shell deserve it. jerome will get first bid, although this guy doesn't think so....
http://www.youtube.com/w/SKip-Bayless-talking-trash-on-Bettis?v=nZPD_Xq3nkE

Kordell will be lucky if he makes the Settler's Cabin HOF

MNsteelers
07-06-2006, 08:24 AM
unfortuantely, one of my favorite players ever (greg lloyd) has no shot of being inducted, let alone nominated. i think dawson has the best shot. greenwood and shell should already be in.

Agreed, man. Lloyd was obviously a great Steeler, but really not someone who completely dominated the league for a generation, as a HofF player should have.

As for Dawson, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's Hall-eligible next summer, and he is a shoo-in for that honor. He was the best center of his generation, and played at a Pro Bowl level for 10 years. He's the first center to have an entire running game based around his ability to pull, and he was the anchor of some very talented Steelers running games.

CowherLover
07-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Bettis will be in 85, don't worry about that. :flipoff:

BlackNGold203
07-06-2006, 08:30 AM
As for Dawson, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's Hall-eligible next summer, and he is a shoo-in for that honor. He was the best center of his generation, and played at a Pro Bowl level for 10 years. He's the first center to have an entire running game based around his ability to pull, and he was the anchor of some very talented Steelers running games.

Couldn't agree more...Dawson should be a 1st ballot HOF'er.....

Lloyd...as good as he was....I hate to say it...but no...not a HOF'er...

Shell and LC are hurt by the fact that so many Steelers from that era are in...as great as they were...they are just about a half step below those who made it...

As far as Anderson...he's a HOF'er...but would he go in as a Steeler???

section514
07-06-2006, 08:49 AM
As far as Anderson...he's a HOF'er...but would he go in as a Steeler???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Football_Hall_of_Fame
Enshrinees do not go into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a member of a certain team. Rather, every team that an inductee had played or worked for is listed equally. While the Baseball Hall of Fame plaques depict each of their inductees wearing a particular club's cap, the bust sculptures of each Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee makes no reference to any specific team. (It should be noted, however, that the Baseball Hall of Fame does not officially induct players as a member of a certain team. The picture of a cap on the plaque is solely for visual effect; all teams are listed on the plaque.)

nicesteel4life
07-06-2006, 08:59 AM
OH MY!!! Of Course I am partial to Centers....BIG D DAWSON
And I agree that Greenwood and Shell should already be in there...
Lloyd never did enough to deserve it, was a great player!
Woodson and Bettis will soon be there.

Big D
07-06-2006, 09:02 AM
I know its rare that a kicker get into the hall. But i'm in agreement that he should be in the hall of fame. He is one of the all time nfl leading scorers. If vinateri gets in we all will know that anderson got screwed

HometownGal
07-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Kordell Stewart. Remember that he once said that he was going to Hall Of Fame. LMFAO

That was a slip of the tongue. He actually said "Hall of Shame". :cool: Poor Kordell.

LC and Shell should have already been inducted. Dirt most definitely deserves that honor - no question about it.

ARKIESTEEL
07-06-2006, 09:40 AM
I would sure think Greenwood and Shell should be in there. I hope when Woodson gets in he does so as a Steeler

Big D
07-06-2006, 09:44 AM
I would sure think Greenwood and Shell should be in there. I hope when Woodson gets in he does so as a Steeler
agreed. I think it would be a shame if he went in a raven or raider

Stlrs4Life
07-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Dermonti Dawson. Sorry LC.

BlackNGold203
07-06-2006, 10:05 AM
agreed. I think it would be a shame if he went in a raven or raider

Every time I've seen Rod in an alumni game...or whatever..he's been in black and gold....Rod did what he had to do...but deep down..he'll always be a Steeler

Big D
07-06-2006, 10:20 AM
can you imagine what would have happen with the steeler franchise if rod would have never suffered that major injury

BBC
07-06-2006, 10:33 AM
That was a slip of the tongue. He actually said "Hall of Shame". :cool: Poor Kordell.

This coming from a Turnover Tommy supporter? Seems a bit hypocritical doesn't it? Especially considering the fact that Kordell did much more in Pittsburgh than Tommy could even dream about doing.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-06-2006, 10:44 AM
L.C. Greenwood
Donnie Shell
Dermonti Dawson
Greg Lloyd

WOW..nice list! Let me try and put them in order that I think they deserve.

1) Dermonti Dawson (He IS the best center of all time)
2) Jerome Bettis (Sorry..had to throw him in..most prolific "Big Back" of all time)
3) L.C. Greenwood (Would be there on any other team where he wasnt overshadowed)
4) Donnie Shell (My #1 sentimental pick)
5) Greg Lloyd ( Not convinced that everyone appreciates what he did..I loved him!)

Mosca
07-06-2006, 10:55 AM
I wasn't living in the 'Burgh for many of Dawson's years, so I didn't get to see him play much. My vote goes to LC Greenwood..

Kordell can go to the HOF the same way the rest of us do; buy a ticket.

Tom

yoyage
07-06-2006, 01:45 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana: i agree LC,Dawson, of course woodson and bettis i also think lloyd can make it because he had a big impact on the game and in the league everyone feared him they knew when they played the steelers lloyd was comming AVOID LLOYD!!! I still wear his jersey

Big D
07-06-2006, 01:49 PM
I hate to say this.. But if art monk isnt in I dont see greg lloyd getting in. And dawson should be eligible by now

The Terrible Skirt
07-06-2006, 01:51 PM
I WANT JEROME!!! GO BUSSIE!

Big D
07-06-2006, 01:52 PM
give it 5 years

HometownGal
07-06-2006, 02:19 PM
This coming from a Turnover Tommy supporter? Seems a bit hypocritical doesn't it? Especially considering the fact that Kordell did much more in Pittsburgh than Tommy could even dream about doing.

Relax pardner - I was clowning around. Is that not permitted here? :rolleyes: I'm not going to get into the Kordell v. Maddox debate all over again. I acknowledged both players several times on this board for their accomplishments while wearing the black and gold. Hypocritical? Nahhh. Just my opinion, which I am entitled to have just like you.

BlackNGold203
07-06-2006, 02:46 PM

I dont remember Maddox ever being arrogant enough to proclaim he was destined to be in the HOF.....

LOL.....here we go with the maddox stuff again....Tommy is immortal!!!!!

:bouncy: :bouncy:

X-Terminator
07-06-2006, 02:54 PM

Really? Like what? Does Kordell hold any team passing records? No. Did Kordell ever take a team on his back and lead them to a win with his arm? No - in fact, most of the time, the Steelers won in SPITE of him, not because of him. OK, he got to two AFC title games, but what did he do in either of those games? Talk about being hypocritical...you bash Tommy for allegedly not accepting blame for his poor play, but how many times did Kordell ever do that? Not many. Had Tommy not gotten hurt in the Tennessee game or hurt his arm 2 years ago, he would still be a Steeler.

Besides, the comment was a JOKE anyway.

Big D
07-06-2006, 02:57 PM
come on boys and girls no need to bicker. How could we have gone this far and not mention Eric Green

HometownGal
07-06-2006, 03:09 PM
come on boys and girls no need to bicker. How could we have gone this far and not mention Eric Green

Sorry, Big D. I wasn't the first in this thread to mention "his" name, but yet I was called out for making a simple joke. Not hard to figure out why. :smile: Considering all of the Maddox jokes around here, I saw no harm in what I posted.

Carry on!

Big D
07-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Sorry, Big D. I wasn't the first in this thread to mention "his" name, but yet I was called out for making a simple joke. Not hard to figure out why. :smile: Considering all of the Maddox jokes around here, I saw no harm in what I posted.

Carry on!
no homegirl you are missing what i'm saying. I'm electing Eric Green to the shoulda be a hall of fama list

HometownGal
07-06-2006, 03:24 PM
no homegirl you are missing what i'm saying. I'm electing Eric Green to the shoulda be a hall of fama list

My mistake. When you were talking about the bickering, I thought you were referring to the above series of posts. Sorry! :nw: :wink:

BBC
07-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Really? Like what? Does Kordell hold any team passing records? No. Did Kordell ever take a team on his back and lead them to a win with his arm? No - in fact, most of the time, the Steelers won in SPITE of him, not because of him. OK, he got to two AFC title games, but what did he do in either of those games? Talk about being hypocritical...you bash Tommy for allegedly not accepting blame for his poor play, but how many times did Kordell ever do that? Not many. Had Tommy not gotten hurt in the Tennessee game or hurt his arm 2 years ago, he would still be a Steeler.

Besides, the comment was a JOKE anyway.

I wasn't defending Kordell. I don't like either of them. But if you're going to jump to Tom-Tom's defense, then don't expect to get called out on it when you clown on Kordell.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Bottom line both Kordell and Tommy had their good moments with the Steelers. But both had their very bad moments as well. I take good memories from both of them and really don't hate either of them.

SteelersMongol
07-06-2006, 06:58 PM
=========================================

Every man has his ups and down.
If you were cheering for him when he was up
Don't push him away when he is down.

=========================================

clevestinks
07-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Most Deserving? Greg Llyodd! no championships for him to support his HOF case!

Cape Cod Steel Head
07-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Dawson and Woodson

SCSteeler4Life
07-06-2006, 08:09 PM
I say Shell just look at his stats, 51 int's no one else on the all time list has more and isn't in the hall of fame. The modern day player they all ways talk about going to the hall of fame at his position is B. Dawkins who is good, but has 0 Super Bowls and only 17 int's. Shell is a victim of the 2many Steeler's in the hall from the 70's, I also think Dermonti is a lock.

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Shell was known more for his hitting then his coverage, ask Earl Campbell how many times he broke his ribs!! He definitely deserves it! L.C. also deserves it, but unfortunately he is also a victim of the "Super Steelers". Dawson will get in when eligible.

X-Terminator
07-06-2006, 08:43 PM
I wasn't defending Kordell. I don't like either of them. But if you're going to jump to Tom-Tom's defense, then don't expect to get called out on it when you clown on Kordell.

Fine. Then the same holds true when Tommy gets ragged on. Fair is fair.

Lyn
07-06-2006, 09:53 PM
L.C. Greewood gets my vote. He is definitely the one who most deserves to get into the HOF. He represented the "Steel Curtain" and made the Steeler defense a fear to all other teams, and it remains the same today because of that 70's D. L.C. not only has 4 Super Bowl rings, he was a mainstay on the legendary Steel Curtain defense as well as an all time sack leader in Steelers history.

NV STEELERS 723
07-06-2006, 10:04 PM
OK...gonna try this again....how does everybody like my pic of Ben and Jerome after SB XL??? there is alot of love on that team...
It's hard for me to dislike Kordell because he tried so hard and it just didn't work out w/ us...his jersey is still hanging lonely in my closet....

Here is my list ....

1,)Dermonti....Webster,Dawson,Harttings, can you say 30+ years of STEELERS centers???
2.)LC....he was a part of the front 7...big yellow shoes...he goes
3.)Rod Woodson...one of the great STEEELERS...he bleeds gold and black
4.)********* JEROME BETTIS********** he goes in after the minimun 5 yrs....

Donnie will be tough because of what the front 7 did.....

Also I love Greg Lloyd but Greg has not had the best off field life, and is not percieved as that domintate player as we see him.......I loved watching #95 hitting people , and making them think twice about going back for a 2nd time..... AVOID LLOYD !!!!!!!

OK....lets hear it!