PDA

View Full Version : My disappointment over SI products

SteelersMongol
07-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi, all. I just wanted to express my disappointement over SI Superbowl XL magazine issue and special edition book.

I spend $7 for the magazine from local book store. It covered quite bit on the Steelers and the SB-XL. Then there is the brown covered "Special Edition" book for the Steelers, and it supposedly included all the articles and photos that SI published during the season, or at least that's my understanding was because of all those advertising and commercials. :sadpace: But after paying about $30 on the special edition thingy, it was almost exactly the same, except of course the cover. I think that was a rip off. How can they do this to us? Now it's something that I can just put inside the shelf next to the replica helmet, because of the cover. :smile:

Hopefully some of you guys who works at the SI, or know someone who does, let them know that was really bad move. Maybe next time when we win, they can actually publish something decent, something that's worth its cover. :wink02:

BlackNGold203
07-06-2006, 12:10 PM
You are correct..the hard bound commemorative issue was just that..the magazine in a hard cover for a higher price.

SI (and others) do these things to take advantage of the buying frenzy that accompanies a team winning the championship. From a pure business standpoint, it's a sound and effective strategy.

Hey..I spent ALOT of money from 2/6/06 through 2/28/06...LOL....but..ya know?...you cant take for granted when the next one will come...so..buyer beware...and have fun with it

ARKIESTEEL
07-06-2006, 12:37 PM
The football was cool

SteelShooter
07-06-2006, 09:37 PM
I bought the subscription to get the "incentives" (Football, book, and DVD) and really enjoyed it all.

I pretty much knew what the book would be though................

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Let the Buyer Beware!!!

MNsteelers
07-07-2006, 08:00 AM
You are correct..the hard bound commemorative issue was just that..the magazine in a hard cover for a higher price.

SI (and others) do these things to take advantage of the buying frenzy that accompanies a team winning the championship. From a pure business standpoint, it's a sound and effective strategy.

Hey..I spent ALOT of money from 2/6/06 through 2/28/06...LOL....but..ya know?...you cant take for granted when the next one will come...so..buyer beware...and have fun with it

Yeah, I agree completely. I spent way too much money, and the hard covered edition is no different from anything else they came out with except for the hard cover of course. But the way I see it, I'll be bald and fat 30 years down the line, and I'll be able to page through that book/zine and remember this season, and the integrity of the pages won't be as compromised. I consider it an investment, and it's a small price to pay to have strong visual reminders of the first No. 6 seed to ever win a Super Bowl, and the first Super Bowl champion to win three games on the road to get there. It still gives me goosebumps...

Jeremy
07-08-2006, 07:38 PM
SI sucks. It has sucked for quite some time now.

WWIIOwheelz
07-09-2006, 10:12 AM
I like the football.... it has a special place here. The DVD is/was an immediate classic/all-time favorite.

BlackNGold203
07-09-2006, 10:43 AM
I like the football.... it has a special place here. The DVD is/was an immediate classic/all-time favorite.

No doubt....the DVD is an instant classic......:cool:

nicesteel4life
07-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Yes the DVD is very good, Cant wait to get a signature or two on the ball at training camp!

Ambridge
07-10-2006, 01:34 PM
I got the SI-Steeler Package as well and I've posted this a time or two already but for those of you who might not have noticed.

When you purchased the SI Subscription/Steeler pack with a credit card, Sports Illustrated will Automatically recharge your credit card when the subscription is getting ready to run out.....it was one of those fine print disclaimers that isn't very noticeable when you make the online purchase.

I believe you have to contact Sports Illustrated by phone or online and tell them that you don't want the subscription renewed.

slashsteel
07-10-2006, 04:23 PM
The fine print ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh money hungry f-ers ! !

SteelersHoss
07-10-2006, 07:01 PM
As a Steelers fan, it was something that one had to get. I do not understand how you could be dissapointed with the magazine, it will last forever unlike the actual magazines. I look forward to next February when the Steelers are on the cover again.
See you all at the Home Opener.

Steelershoss

SteelersMongol
07-10-2006, 07:41 PM
The thing is that I've got the original magazine. I bought a nice cover for it. Since I love it so much you won't be ruined before I die. :smile: But that hard covered special edition one, I guess I was disappointed because they resold me the same magazine, and I might've been expecting little more from all those advertising. But it's all good. :smile: Something that will LOOK good on the shelf. :smile:

Hammer67
07-31-2006, 08:00 PM
SI sucks. It has sucked for quite some time now.

I disagree. I find Peter King to be the best national football media person out there. I don't knwo what I would do if I couldn't read the Monday Morning Qb column on SI.com.

I got the magazine but read it online more then anything...the physical magazines go in the magazine bin in the guest bathroom.

AZ_Steeler
08-03-2006, 11:01 AM
I bought just the hard cover SI book and I was disappointed mainly because of the adds within the book. I thought it would be all about the Steelers... now I know for next time.

I did get the book from the Steelers.com site "Super Again" now that book is awesome! I got a copy for my Dad too and he loves it... no adds in this book!

SteelersMongol
08-08-2006, 10:00 AM
I bought just the hard cover SI book and I was disappointed mainly because of the adds within the book. I thought it would be all about the Steelers... now I know for next time.

I did get the book from the Steelers.com site "Super Again" now that book is awesome! I got a copy for my Dad too and he loves it... no adds in this book!

Do you know if they sell in the Burgh? I'm moving so I can't get anything from eBay. But I'm gonna stop in the Burgh to pay homage. :smile: So I might find something.

AZ_Steeler
08-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Do you know if they sell in the Burgh? I'm moving so I can't get anything from eBay. But I'm gonna stop in the Burgh to pay homage. :smile: So I might find something.

I'm not sure if they sell the book in the Burgh or not. Here is the information though for the Super Again book if you are interested: http://news.steelers.com/article/62839/