PDA

View Full Version : Ben in the Pro Bowl

NoFieldFive
01-27-2012, 01:31 PM
not sure who the offensive coordinator is for the AFC side but know it's not Arians.

so Ben gets his 6 minutes of action in the game. What is he going to do if no bubble screens or 50 yard bombs are called?

it's third and two and they call a quick hit to the 6'5" tight end being guarded by the 6'1" linebacker. will Ben know how to run that play? hopefully he completes that play and thinks - gee you don't HAVE to go for 40 yards when you only needed 2?

Kanata-Steeler
01-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Terry used to buy his "O"=Line, Rolex watches.
Ben, on the other hand, just flies them all to Pro-Bowl. (aka ... whoopee?)
Now, who's really "cheaper" ?
;)

Fire Arians
01-27-2012, 01:51 PM
ben threw 2td's to houshmandzadeh when he was in the bowl last time, thought he played awesome lol

MDSteel15
01-27-2012, 03:04 PM
At this point I will be more inclined to watch the Pro Bowl than the Super Bowl... Who's the next Steeler to go? :popcorn:

LVSteelersfan
01-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Why is he even playing in the Pro Bowl? He should be resting that ankle. There is no way it is healed yet. If he reinjures it in a meaningless game, then it is utter stupidity. The team should have shut him down for the Pro Bowl.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Ben will be fine in the probowl, they tackle even softer in the probowl than they do during the season. Probowl hits are double fines, like driving fast in a construction zone.

stb_steeler
01-27-2012, 05:30 PM
;)

Rolex's used to be cheaper in the 70's....
A trip to Hawaii cost a arm n a leg nowadays! :flap:

Steel_Bus_24
01-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Why is he even playing in the Pro Bowl? He should be resting that ankle. There is no way it is healed yet. If he reinjures it in a meaningless game, then it is utter stupidity. The team should have shut him down for the Pro Bowl.

Yeah seriously, I was like WTF...stay in the Hula Shirt by the beach with your new wife

Hope he knows what hes doing

FrancoLambert
01-27-2012, 05:53 PM
:applaudit::applaudit:
You got it. There is no good reason for Ben to play in this "game" unless he was relatively "healthy."

He was so compromised and immobile....how long ago? A couple of weeks? He's healed enough? Could he jeopardize any physical improvements he's already made? I know it's a pillow fight but he should not be playing for his own good and the good of the Steelers.

Ben should have used this occasion to demonstrate some of that better judgment and dedication most of us believe he needs.

Ricco Suavez
01-27-2012, 06:13 PM
;)

Sorry Rolexes outta style with the younger guys. Vacation in Hawaii In Jan, pretty boss. Come on man surely you can find more to bitch about Ben than this.:blah:

Ricco Suavez
01-27-2012, 06:19 PM
As far as Bens Injury (a high ankle sprain) it is treated with about 4-6 weeks of rest, no surgery unless it was diagnosed at the beginning, usually a pin. So after the Pro Bowl he will have plenty of time to rest. Now if he is injured in another way I expect to hear from this board how its his fault, but on the other hand if Troy is injured its part of the game. Hard to be Ben in Pittsburgh, similar to Terry in the 70's.

Third Rail
01-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Ben had more chance of getting injured while filming that Batman movie than he does of getting hurt in the Pro Bowl. Hell, I think that flag football Geezer Bowl they had on NFLN yesterday with Boomer Esaison and Warren Moon was more intense than the Pro Bowl.

Atlanta Dan
01-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Now if he is injured in another way I expect to hear from this board how its his fault, but on the other hand if Troy is injured its part of the game.

Of course Troy has decided it is not worth the risk of aggravating his end of season injuries by playing in something as meaningless as the Pro Bowl and withdrew

Ricco Suavez
01-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Of course Troy has decided it is not worth the risk of aggravating his end of season injuries by playing in something as meaningless as the Pro Bowl and withdrew

Different type of injury and you know it. My point is if Troy was healthy and had gone and then was hurt, we would all say its part of the game. Ben on the other hand is held to different levels of accountability.:banging:

Atlanta Dan
01-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Different type of injury and you know it. My point is if Troy was healthy and had gone and then was hurt, we would all say its part of the game. Ben on the other hand is held to different levels of accountability.:banging:

But of course neither player is healthy - that is the subject of the thread:noidea:

I do not think anyone is arguing Roethlisberger should not play if he was healthy and I do not think anyone would blame Ben but not Troy is both played in the Pro Bowl, if healthy, and either of them was injured (even though the Pro Bowl is a joke and over the years many players look for excuses to avoid playing in it)

Instead what we have are the 2 most valuable and highest paid players on the Steelers (based on the 2011 cap hit) both of whom still are recovering from post-season injuries - one player withdrew and one did not - same standard is being applied

Ricco Suavez
01-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Dan its obvious you felt Ben should not go. Your opinion. The FO just fired Arians without Tomlins consent, the boss pulled the trigger. Now Do you think if Rooney felt there was any chance of Ben furthering his injury (which is not really possible since a high ankle sprain needs rest to heal) he would of sat idly by and not put his foot down. If the organization has no problem , why you then?

Danny136200
01-29-2012, 04:41 PM

Its not like he will be playing in another meaningful game for another 7 months though.

rgj
01-29-2012, 08:32 PM
During the player intros on the ProBowl coverage, I noticed that Ben claimed to be from Cory-Rawson, Ohio. Curious.

He's from Findlay, Ohio and played for Findlay High School (Trojans).

Cory-Rawson is not a municipality, but a consolidated county school system between Mt. Cory and Rawson. Cory-Rawson High School (Hornets) is located halfway between Findlay OH and Bluffton OH, just west of Interstate 75.

Ben went to college at Miami University in Oxford OH.

Don't understand Ben's problem. Grudge? Immaturity? Gonna whine and cry about that to Daddy Rooney too?

Atlanta Dan
01-29-2012, 08:48 PM
During the player intros on the ProBowl coverage, I noticed that Ben claimed to be from Cory-Rawson, Ohio. Curious.

He's from Findlay, Ohio and played for Findlay High School (Trojans).

Cory-Rawson is not a municipality, but a consolidated county school system between Mt. Cory and Rawson. Cory-Rawson High School (Hornets) is located halfway between Findlay OH and Bluffton OH, just west of Interstate 75.

Ben went to college at Miami University in Oxford OH.

Don't understand Ben's problem. Grudge? Immaturity? Gonna whine and cry about that to Daddy Rooney too?

It apparently started after the Milledgeville unpleasantness in 2010

The mayor of Findlay said this

"The first one, you give him the benefit of the doubt. [...] But then another one and now maybe another one after that? It's not looking good. Something's not right here."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Thin-skinned-Roethlisberger-changes-hometown-aft?urn=nfl,262279

Which then prompted this article in 2010 training camp

For two-time Super Bowl winner Ben Roethlisberger, there really is no place like home.

In his Pittsburgh Steelers biography, Roethlisberger now lists his birthplace as the fictitious and the incorrectly spelled Corey Rawson, Ohio.:chuckle: There is no such community, although he did attend Cory-Rawson School in Rawson, Ohio.

Roethlisberger apparently made the change because he was displeased with unflattering comments made about him by some residents of hometown Findlay, Ohio, following a March incident in which he was accused of sexual assault....

Until this season, Roethlisberger identified Findlay as his hometown.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2010-08-13-ben-roethlisberger-hometown_N.htm

rgj
01-29-2012, 09:03 PM
[QUOTE=Atlanta Dan;991952]I

Until this season, Roethlisberger identified Findlay as his hometown.[/I]

That's amazing. I live about an hour away from Findlay and have always defended Roethlisberger with his "trysts" with opportunistic barmaids and even underage, drunk college kids. Believe me, there are plenty of Bengal and Browns fans that STILL refer to Roethlisberger as "Rapistberger."

I always tell them to "prove it." Of course, they cannot. Stupid for allowing himself to get in the situations (notice PLURAL), yes. A criminal? I don't think so.

Roethlisberger being a little steamed because there are people who don't buy his story? What does he expect? Still a little immature?

Regardless, I thought that with the recent "settlement" of the "case" in Colorado, and the lack of prosecution of the Georgia "case," and Roethlisberger's marriage, I thought that finally some maturity and sense had been exhibited by Roethlisberger.

Then I am hearing Roethlisberger "expecting a meeting with Rooney" to "discuss" the Arians release, I didn't say too much, I can understand. Now with this Cory-Rawson thing....sorry. I am now out of Roethlisberger's corner. I see him now as a coddled athlete who thinks thinks that he is the center of the world. Time for the Steelers to dump his ass, send him to Cleveland where the Browns fans can "treat him real right."

I'm extremely disappointed in the "anointed one." My ass......

harrison'samonster
01-29-2012, 09:26 PM

That's amazing. I live about an hour away from Findlay and have always defended Roethlisberger with his "trysts" with opportunistic barmaids and even underage, drunk college kids. Believe me, there are plenty of Bengal and Browns fans that STILL refer to Roethlisberger as "Rapistberger."

I always tell them to "prove it." Of course, they cannot. Stupid for allowing himself to get in the situations (notice PLURAL), yes. A criminal? I don't think so.

Roethlisberger being a little steamed because there are people who don't buy his story? What does he expect? Still a little immature?

Regardless, I thought that with the recent "settlement" of the "case" in Colorado, and the lack of prosecution of the Georgia "case," and Roethlisberger's marriage, I thought that finally some maturity and sense had been exhibited by Roethlisberger.

Then I am hearing Roethlisberger "expecting a meeting with Rooney" to "discuss" the Arians release, I didn't say too much, I can understand. Now with this Cory-Rawson thing....sorry. I am now out of Roethlisberger's corner. I see him now as a coddled athlete who thinks thinks that he is the center of the world. Time for the Steelers to dump his ass, send him to Cleveland where the Browns fans can "treat him real right."

so you've been willing to defend him all of this time, but now you've given up on him because he's no longer listing Findlay as his hometown, and he wants to meet with Rooney to discuss the future of the team?

rgj
01-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Yep. I'm starting to think that the Roethlisberger maturity level has not grown. The Findlay folks will survive just fine, as they did before Roethlisberger came on the scene, and as they will long after Roethlisberger is gone.

Go, Monroeville Steelers!!!

steelfury02
01-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Ben's football legacy will speak for itself

Ben's personal life will never be 100% clear for those of us not close to him

I will just say this - there is enough out there on him that for all intensive purposes puts him in the same group of many greats of many sports that have demons they have / will always battle. He's a person with issues magnified because of who he is. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm glad he is the Steelers QB and for my own selfish reasons - wish his image would more often than not err on the side of Drew Brees's so I don't have to hear ignorant members of opposing fanbases call him the now forever cemented "Rapistberger"

Lastly - yes, the media is blowing Ben's words on talking with Rooney out of proportion. In the same breath, I will say Ben has never gone out of his way to dispel any rumors or negative things he supposedly said or meant.

You know - when it looks like crap, smells like crap, probably is ____

Ben will retire with a public opinion of him closer to that of Terry Bradshaw's than Joe Montana's and while it shouldn't really matter to him - it IS his fault

Bayz101
01-29-2012, 10:23 PM
He went to Corey Rawson school in Ohio. Kid's their also identify that part as "Corey Rawson".

Ricco Suavez
01-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Say it is'nt so Ben, say it is'nt so. Sounds like some fans need maturity if this is the biggest issue we have.

StainlessStill
01-29-2012, 10:46 PM

Check yourself into the nearest nuthouse dude! Who GIVES a shit?:coffee:

FanSince72
01-29-2012, 11:15 PM

Joe Namath's sexual track record as "Broadway Joe" would probably make Ben seem like a rank amateur; the difference of course is the era in which Namath existed. Back in those days, there was no "media" like we have today and anything that happened off the field, stayed there and it stayed out of the headlines.

Not that I'm saying that any of this is right, but rather that it's nothing new and that today it exists in an age of instant communication which is something that guys like Namath and Hornung and a boatload of other "ladies men" never had to deal with. Ben isn't the first football player to take liberties with a young lady and his story is just one in a very big book.

Ben and his generation lack the filters that existed back in the day when if a story like Ben's emerged, it would bounce around a newsroom for a while and if it ever got reported, it would have been watered down quite a bit. It's just the way it was back then and the relationship between reporters and athletes was different and there was a cloak of secrecy that was carefully maintained while a story was checked out. Back in Namath's day, plenty of people suspected plenty of things but it never went beyond suspicion because no one really knew and to a certain extent, it was even admired - by many women as well as men because many people saw behavior like that as part of being in the game.

Today it's completely different.
Today news is instant and completely unfiltered and often lacks context and circumstance and by the time any real story emerges, the public has already made up its mind about what they think happened and that's that. These days, if a celebrity farts in an elevator, the world knows about it before the guy standing next him. And by the time the doors open, there's an army of reporters asking the poor bastard if his diet is causing digestive problems or did he think his flatulence had something to do with being raised by a single parent - or maybe they want to know if he thinks he needs a colonoscopy because they heard rumors that cancer runs in his family.

The maddening thing is that throughout all of this, no one has actually taken the time to verify if the guy really farted at all.

I'd hate to be a celebrity in this day and age.

Bayz101
01-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Say it is'nt so Ben, say it is'nt so. Sounds like some fans need maturity if this is the biggest issue we have.

There's always something to complain about :noidea:

It's in the nature of a lot of fans :banging:

Sean95m
01-30-2012, 01:32 AM
It was touch football folks, so your pretty much saying if Ben was cought shooting hoops and it was caught on camera he's a douche.... I guess I am the only one what wtched the game. It was 7 on 7 drills with no pass rush, move on people!

rgj
01-30-2012, 09:28 AM
He went to Corey Rawson school in Ohio. Kid's their also identify that part as "Corey Rawson".

ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.......ELEMENTARY SCHOOL....until his father remarried and moved to Findlay.

.....and it's CORRECTLY spelled CORY-RAWSON.

.....and the word should be "there," not the possessive "their." Elementary grammar.

rgj
01-30-2012, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=rgj;991956]

Check yourself into the nearest nuthouse dude! Who GIVES a shit?:coffee:

:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

vasteeler
01-30-2012, 11:50 AM
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL.......ELEMENTARY SCHOOL....until his father remarried and moved to Findlay.

.....and it's CORRECTLY spelled CORY-RAWSON.

.....and the word should be "there," not the possessive "their." Elementary grammar.

wow, who called the grammar police:blah:

MACH1
01-30-2012, 11:54 AM
http://6inchmove.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/grammar-nazi2.jpg

:chuckle:

soulkitchen
01-30-2012, 12:47 PM
He changed his hometown to Corey-Rawson in 2010 before the season started. This isn't new.

Sixburgher
01-30-2012, 01:03 PM
not sure who the offensive coordinator is for the AFC side but know it's not Arians.

so Ben gets his 6 minutes of action in the game. What is he going to do if no bubble screens or 50 yard bombs are called?

it's third and two and they call a quick hit to the 6'5" tight end being guarded by the 6'1" linebacker. will Ben know how to run that play? hopefully he completes that play and thinks - gee you don't HAVE to go for 40 yards when you only needed 2?

He's gone. Might want to let it go already.

Twentyvalve
01-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Common now. . .

"....expecting a meeting with Rooney."

How do we know the the context of that? It could be he is "expecting" Rooney to meet with him. No in the sense that it is him setting that stage. The media is stupid, don't take anything at face value; especially internet media.

This is story is so stupid. Of course the franchise QB is going to meet with an owner who has a day-to-day relationship with the team. They have a rapport and relationship we know nothing of, and I bet it is personal and meaningful.

We as fans need to stop looking into football so deep and taking it so personal. The players are people like us. We overcomplicate and read too much into the stories and hype, and sensationalism predicated by the media.

So what, Ben "expects" a meeting Rooney. As I said, we know nothing about the contest of the entire scenario. Brainwashed I tell you.

Fire Arians
01-30-2012, 01:37 PM

rgj
01-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Here's something to chew on......Steelers trade Roethlisberger to Indy for Manning.

Both are recovering from injury....

It would reuinte Cory-Rawson Roethlisberger and his buddy, Arians.....

It would bring Peyton Manning to the Steelers....

It would clear the Rooney's of a headache,
It would give Irsay a headache.....
It would give all the eSPiN talking heads extra air time....

Discuss.....

Fire Arians
01-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Here's something to chew on......Steelers trade Roethlisberger to Indy for Manning.

Discuss.....

reuinte? you mean reunite?

rgj
01-30-2012, 05:59 PM

Yep....my FIRST mistake today......there goes my perfect week. :banging:

finesward
01-30-2012, 07:24 PM

Discuss.....

Unless we get the colts 1st round draft pick along with manning it's easily the dumbest f'n thing I've heard on SF since thumper was running wild.

First off, if I'm not mistaken accepting a trade would also be accepting that MONSTER bonus Peyton is due this year, and even if it wasn't what good would a weak armed QB years past his prime be to this team? Only way I'd bring peyton in would be as a coach. Sorry, but there's too much of a question mark about his health. He may never get that zip back to his throw.

Atlanta Dan
01-30-2012, 08:22 PM

Or maybe

71SYeOsb3yA

tony hipchest
01-30-2012, 08:27 PM
:rofl:

holy old commercials batman! wheres the Bartells and Jaymes?

Bayz101
01-30-2012, 08:30 PM
I actually prefer that over the green lizard selling car insurance :sofunny: