PDA

View Full Version : Ben deny's ignoring playbook

BlitzburghRockCity
06-03-2005, 07:54 PM
Roethlisberger denies ignoring playbook

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger denied Thursday that he and wide receiver Plaxico Burress sometimes ignored the team's playbook in order to make up passing plays designed to get Burress the ball.

An ESPN.com story said Burress adjusted certain pass routes to fit the plays he and Roethlisberger came up with, regardless of the play called by the coaches. Roethlisberger laughed off the report, saying all quarterbacks and receivers adjust on the fly as plays develop.

"I think that's just called improvising," Roethlisberger said. "You make things happen. Sometimes things break down and your only option is to make something happen that's not necessarily in the playbook. I think that's something Plax and I had and I think it's something me and these other receivers also have."

Burress was the Steelers' top draft pick in 2000, but the team did not move to re-sign him after his five-year contract ran out and he signed a $25 million, six-year deal with the New York Giants. After the Steelers' 41-27 AFC title game loss to New England, Roethlisberger lobbied the Steelers to bring back Burress, but it is not believed they made any move to do so.

The Steelers have since signed former 49ers starter Cedrick Wilson to give them another proven receiver with speed. They also drafted 6-foot-5 tight end Heath Miller and 6-4 wide receiver Fred Gibson to replace some of the size lost when the 6-5 Burress departed.

Roethlisberger has said repeatedly that he and Burress had a good rapport on the field and were friends off it, but the quarterback has not publicly criticized the decision not to bring Burress back.

Burress' statistics weren't the best of the Steelers' top three receivers - Burress, Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El - before he missed the final five regular-season games with a hamstring injury.

During the nine regular-season games they started together with Roethlisberger, Ward had 47 catches and three touchdowns and Burress had 31 catches and four touchdowns. Ward made the Pro Bowl for a fourth consecutive season.

Even with Burress gone, Roethlisberger is convinced that he'll have plenty of downfield options.

"I think we've got good new additions in the young guys and Cedrick coming over," he said. "Altogether we've got a bunch of different guys that bring different things to the table but are all very talented."

The Steelers went 15-1, the best regular season in franchise history, as Roethlisberger unexpectedly became a starter during his rookie season. The season ended with Pittsburgh's fourth AFC championship game loss at home since the 1994 season

clevestinks
06-03-2005, 08:16 PM
:o All great QBs improvise! You make plays fit according to the defense, if you know a cb is playing soft, or over aggressive, you change up the route. If a Safety keeps biting on different fake you improvise. The Press sucks sometimes, leave the kid alone.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-03-2005, 08:35 PM
Gotta give him credit for having the insight, knowledge of the playbook, and quick thinking to find the open targets when he has too.

hardwork
06-03-2005, 10:23 PM
"The season ended with Pittsburgh's fourth AFC championship game loss at home since the 1994 season"

:)

ironcitychef
06-04-2005, 12:25 AM
'The controversial "tuck rule," which came to light when a late-game interpretation aided the New England Patriots (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nwe) in a division-round playoff victory over the Oakland Raiders' (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=oak)

Anyways...:blah: I saw this but put it under the Hines better w/o Plax thread. At least he doesn't have to defend not wearing a helmet. If they were changing plays you would have thought Plax would have caught more than 32 balls?

Prosdo
06-04-2005, 01:28 AM
I wish they would just cover actual football instead of trying to make controversy. I would like to hear more about how our draft picks and the new receivers are doing instead of Burress was corrupting Ben and the helmet talk. Its getting old!

bigbensgirl7
06-04-2005, 11:18 AM
Yes, it's true, Ben and Plax were very good friends and neighbors. They were known to pass the football around in their yards. Does this mean they changed the calls and the playbook to get the ball to Burress more...NO!!! 1st off, if that was the case, I think our coaches would have caught on. Even before his injury, Burress was not out #1 guy (he was and pretty much has always been our deep threat). 2nd, Ben was also on a mission last year. He was the 3rd QB taken in the draft (luckily) and wanted to prove that he could have gone #1. He was also trying to set history (and did)! Why would he jeoprdize that to help one player. I think people would have a much better argument on this if all of a sudden Burress turned into our #1 reciever...but he didn't-case closed. The media is always looking for some sort of controversy and stories to write about in the offseason...so here it is! I just think it's BS in my opinion.

clevestinks
06-04-2005, 12:04 PM
"The season ended with Pittsburgh's fourth AFC championship game loss at home since the 1994 season"

:)
Don`t understand what this has to do with Ben improvising?? I`m just glad he is off to a better NFL start than Brady was!

hardwork
06-04-2005, 02:18 PM
"I`m just glad he is off to a better NFL start than Brady was!"

Don't understand what this has to do with Ben improvising??? However, Bardy had to wait a year for the guy infront of him to get hurt. Ben only had to wait a few days. That's what happens when you join a weak team, you get to play right away.

Now, can we get back to Ben's improvising, geeeeees.

ironcitychef
06-05-2005, 12:29 AM
Uh HW?, in 1999 you were 8-8, in 2000 you were 5-11, yes? Then why didn't Tom start sooner? Shouldn't he have played right away? And be careful, this isn't the BF so you may want to stay on topic with some factual stuff.

Personally, if you only threw it 25 times at most a game and you were a rookie QB, I would be breaking off routes and throwing to the most open guy I could find as well.

Volpe1564
06-05-2005, 01:59 AM
"I`m just glad he is off to a better NFL start than Brady was!"

Don't understand what this has to do with Ben improvising??? However, Bardy had to wait a year for the guy infront of him to get hurt. Ben only had to wait a few days. That's what happens when you join a weak team, you get to play right away.

Now, can we get back to Ben's improvising, geeeeees.

ok lets get started...lol
1. 15-1 is a weak team(keyword team)(9 pro bowler is a weak team) :rolleyes:
2. after this past year with the Pats secondry one would think you would understand that injuries happen...quickly
3. there have been very few rookie QB's that have started ANY game there first season and had a good one. hell its tuff enough just to learn all the plays let alone get in the zone with your WR's and go on the fly.

clevestinks
06-05-2005, 06:51 AM
HW the real reason Ben got to start as soon as he did, wasn`t because of the team being weak. It was because Maddox the starter went down, and before him Batch the second teamer went down. When you lose your first two qbs, you don`t just hang up your cleats and go home.
If anything the Pats ought to consider themselves LUCKY. I mean come on, the Steelers drafted Ben in the first round knowing he would start one day. Brady was drafted in the sixthed rd. He was destined to be a career backup, Bill lucked out with Brady. He got a star, Yes. But he was lucky.

hardwork
06-05-2005, 11:35 AM
"after this past year with the Pats secondry one would think you would understand that injuries happen...quickly"

That's true. But think about this. We still beat your star QB with a rookie, a converted WR, et al, in our defensive backfield. What does that say about Big Ben and his play calling?

hardwork
06-05-2005, 11:40 AM
"I mean come on, the Steelers drafted Ben in the first round knowing he would start one day."

Now cleve, nobody "knows" who's going to start one day. You can hope you've got a player, but you never KNOW.

As for "LUCKY"? Lets not forget, we are the ones who picked Brady. Projected backup or not. Other teams ignored him, we didn't.

Ironman
06-05-2005, 12:28 PM
I give Brady his due credit... he's a winner. But I think he's a product of a great system devised by a great all-around football mind in Belichek... and Charlie Weis. I think on another team with another coach... say a defensive mind like Parcells or Saban...he's just another average QB whose put there just to protect the ball, put up 17 points and let the defense hold on. The New England offense takes advantage of his strengths while guarding his weaknesses... brilliant. But that's on Belicheck and Weis... more so on Weis... not Brady's ability. I'll be anxious to see this year with Weis gone to Notre Dame.

But again... props to New England and Brady. They do get it done.

And Ben can ignore the playbook all he wants. He's an NFL QB... not a college kid anymore. As long as he gets results... he can draw up plays in the dirt like we all did in our backyards.

clevestinks
06-05-2005, 04:21 PM
I also give Brady his props, we can only pray that Ben is as successful. I guess what I meant by lucky is when you draft a QB in the sixth round you sometimes wonder if he`ll make the final cut. They never imagined this guy would lead them to 3 rings already. Now if drafted in the first round or two, expectations are alot higher. And money.

Volpe1564
06-05-2005, 05:54 PM
well i think Ben had something to do with raising the bar too.....

hardwork
06-05-2005, 07:48 PM
"I think on another team with another coach... say a defensive mind like Parcells or Saban...he's just another average QB whose put there just to protect the ball, put up 17 points and let the defense hold on. The New England offense takes advantage of his strengths while guarding his weaknesses... brilliant. But that's on Belicheck and Weis... more so on Weis... not Brady's ability. I'll be anxious to see this year with Weis gone to Notre Dame."

You've got a pretty good handle on it I think. If Manning had come to New England, and Brady had gone to the Colts, which QB would have gone home frustrated this year? Most likely Brady, instead of Manning. But, you have to like Brady's style. He hangs in there to the end, and he's a natural leader.

On Belichick and Weis. Weis was an aggressive play caller. Belichick is far more conservative. I think that's the first thing we'll notice this year, and it conserns me a lot.

hardwork
06-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Cleve

While I suspect they did see something in Brady, I have to agree that we were walking along, and fell in a hole that turned out to be a gold mine.

clevestinks
06-05-2005, 08:09 PM
What ever works! And it works! Unfortunatley for us.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-05-2005, 09:22 PM
So where do you draw the line to where you expect a player to be a successful starter and where you hope he'll be a successful starter. Interesting question when u think about it.

ironcitychef
06-06-2005, 01:41 AM
That's true. But think about this. We still beat your star QB with a rookie, a converted WR, et al, in our defensive backfield. What does that say about Big Ben and his play calling?I guess he doesn't improvise afterall.
As for "LUCKY"? Lets not forget, we are the ones who picked Brady. Projected backup or not. Other teams ignored him, we didn't.No, you finished 8-8 and Bledsoe had just thrown 19 TDs & 21 INTs. You knew you were going to need some help someday. If you really knew about him, you wouldn't have waited until the 6th round. And you wouldn't have taken Antwan Harris before him in the same round. You had 20 guys rated the same as Brady and got lucky you picked the shell with the pea underneath.
But, you have to like Brady's style. He hangs in there to the end, and he's a natural leader. On Belichick and Weis. Weis was an aggressive play caller. Belichick is far more conservative. I think that's the first thing we'll notice this year, and it conserns me a lot.Goes back to what you drilled me for earlier when I asked if Brady was the reason or the coaches(ie Kobe/Shaq - stupidest thing ever). Guess we will see. Thanks for being honest, cause I can't believe that while the history of giving head coaches double duty has not been successful overall, Belichick's HC and OC roles have been given carte blanche since he won 3 of 4. I'd be worried too as a Pat fan too that you knew of no one who could help you call plays? Sorry to have a long post but I'm rolling...go back to Cowher in SBXXX on the onside kick. You see him on the earpiece asking if they should go for it and the coach sells him on it. What will Bill do? You going to ask your DC or STC for OC call help? No its all on him this year.

ironcitychef
06-06-2005, 01:47 AM
BRC - the rule for me is first 3 rounds. After watching the numerous drafts and seasons I go like this...

R1- you better start in first two years
R2-R3 - You should be competing for starting job by 2nd year
R4 - R7 - Anything not negative is a positive. Cause these guys are the ones getting only hundreds of thousands:rolleyes: , their impact of performance to money spent ratio is a goldmine if they do anything. So I expect more out of Trai than I do Fred. Hope this helps.

clevestinks
06-06-2005, 07:17 AM
ICC I like your 3 round rule, you never really know after that anyway. Especially at QB.

bigbensgirl7
06-06-2005, 10:14 AM
Bardy had to wait a year for the guy infront of him to get hurt. Ben only had to wait a few days. That's what happens when you join a weak team, you get to play right away.

1st off, must have skipped over this post because I would have commented on this a while ago. Ben's success had nothing to do with joining a weak team. He was not supposed to start his 1st year in the league, but under the circumstances he was given the chance (circumstances being injury...not losing). He was brought into a perfect situation for a rookie to be in. He was surrounded by a good system with good players, so that even with a limited playbook he was able to make things happen (and yes, I'm sure he did have to do some improvising along the way, but I don't see him improvising to help Plax, but to win-which he did up until the AFCC)
Originally Posted by hardwork
That's true. But think about this. We still beat your star QB with a rookie, a converted WR, et al, in our defensive backfield. What does that say about Big Ben and his play calling?
Next...yes...it's true you guys beat us in the Playoffs (thanks for pointing it out) but lets talk some fact.
1) Our defense did not put the pressure on Brady the did in the regular season game we beat you (yes...and go ahead and say "But we didn't have Dillon" well when our starting RB was injured this season, we still got the job done, it's called depth. You don't blame a loss on a couple of injuries...you move on)
Anyways...10/31/04: Brady was 25/43, 271 yrds, 2 TDs, 2 INTs, 1 FUM, 4 SKs (72.9 rating). My point here is when put under pressure Brady did not look like the same Brady we saw in the playoffs where he was 14/21, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 0 FUM, 2 SKs, and a 130.5 rating (the big thing that stand out here to me is the differnce in # of atts)...the same can be said for Ben...just reverse the games.
2) The biggest factors were turnovers. The Patriots challanged Ben in the AFCCG, and in the 1st half...the Steelers did not give Ben much of a chance to put it in the air except for on 3rd downs...esp. 3rd and longs because we were running the ball every 1st and 2nd down in that game. They were playing a very conservative offense and it was very easy to predict the play calling for the Pats D (hell, if I knew what was coming...I would hope a defense would too). The bottom line is the Pats took chances in that game, and we didn't-case closed.
Back to the improvising...Ben didn't have many opportunities to improvise in that game, which may have resulted in his 1st loss as a starter in the NFL!

Sorry so long...but I had a lot to say!

Avoid LLoyd1975
06-06-2005, 12:25 PM
They should leave him alone. If I were getting bumrushed by some 300 plus pound behemoth defensive lineman I would be making up my own damn plays as well. Nobody ever criticizes Peyton Manning do they???

clevestinks
06-06-2005, 04:52 PM
Like I said before. How many plays really work just like they were written on paper? Improvising is Pro Football. If the Bus has a play called in the four hole and there is no hole, so he bounces it outside for an eight yard gain, he is taking was was given to him. Improvise. Ben will feel even more comfortable this year, and receivers will come back to the huddle and tell him where the soft spots are. Then he`ll drop back, and TD. We win. Thats all that matters anyway. The media sucks! Way to much attention for a nothing story.

Ironman
06-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Hey... did you guys know Ben rides his motorcycle without a helmet... makes up plays... dates a golfer. He's a wild man!

clevestinks
06-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Hey... did you guys know Ben rides his motorcycle without a helmet... makes up plays... dates a golfer. He's a wild man!

Funny Stuff! Gotta Love Him!

BlitzburghRockCity
06-06-2005, 09:34 PM
Yeah, nobody in the world does any of those things, only ben! :D

ironcitychef
06-07-2005, 01:52 AM

What else did you expect form a University of Miami player. Nothing but bad boys down there...What? Seriously? Redhawk not a Hurricane? Guess they grow them a little wilder on the farm huh?