PDA

View Full Version : Banks on Pick #24

Steelerfreak58
01-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Don Banks from SI says we should probably take...

Pittsburgh Steelers
Cordy Glenn, OG-OT, Georgia. The Steelers are being given Memphis DT Dontari Poe in plenty of mocks, and he makes sense as a replacement for veteran Casey Hampton, who is coming off ACL surgery. But have you seen the state of the Steelers' offensive line the past two seasons? Until convinced otherwise, we consider Pittsburgh's OL issues to be its top priority.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/01/26/mock-draft/index.html?xid=cnnbin

Tend to agree the OL needs some addressing AGAIN...

Bayz101
01-27-2012, 11:49 PM
I think we need an OL, but my money's on Mark Barron at Safety.

tanda10506
01-28-2012, 01:45 AM

No need for that, the o line is priority and NT needs an immediate replacement. A first rounder on a safety when we have good safeties and Mundy as a backup is not necessary, if Glen is available we should get him.

ricardisimo
01-28-2012, 02:08 AM
No need for that, the o line is priority and NT needs an immediate replacement. A first rounder on a safety when we have good safeties and Mundy as a backup is not necessary, if Glen is available we should get him.
True, we got nothing at guard, whereas we can squeeze some quality years out of safety. I wouldn't mind seeing two guards in the first two rounds - Glenn and someone like that Osemele kid - then not worrying about our line for the next four-five years. :thumbsup:

DanRooney
01-28-2012, 03:13 AM
Glenn would be a meh pick at our spot. He'd definitely be there at our spot but I think Konz, Hightower, and Burfict are better value picks if they're still there.

Rick5895
01-28-2012, 04:24 AM
Glenn would be a meh pick at our spot. He'd definitely be there at our spot but I think Konz, Hightower, and Burfict are better value picks if they're still there.
Agree, if Hightower is there at our pick, we should be taking him. I like Burfict but he does have some issues that may keep the Steelers away from him.

ricardisimo
01-28-2012, 04:34 AM
I've seen more than a few mocks where DeCastro, Glenn and Konz are all gone before #24.

DanRooney
01-28-2012, 04:51 AM
I've seen more than a few mocks where DeCastro, Glenn and Konz are all gone before #24.

DeCastro will definitely be gone. No question. He's the top interior lineman in the draft. Konz will likely be gone. But I'm almost 100 percent certain Glenn will be there at our spot.

Bayz101
01-28-2012, 05:04 AM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Rankings.php

55BaileyFan
01-28-2012, 07:55 AM
We wouldn't draft Konz anyway...he has no G experience really and is a highly touted C. Why would you draft a C when you need a guard? Glenn is a good option and a great blocker. Zeitler could be awesome if coached properly and Adams is so inconsistent...experience in college doesn't always translate into the NFL, including Kemo and Colon.

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-28-2012, 08:02 AM

Why do you still insist that they taking him?! It is clear they are going to attack either line first.

BossAus
01-28-2012, 09:17 AM
It's not definite we take OLine or DLine. The Steelers take the best player available, just look at our draft last year. Cordy Glenn is definitely not the best player available, he would be a reach to fill a position of need. I agree that if Hightower or Barron is there we should take one. I also think we should possibly take Burfict just because I'd hate to see the Ravens get him.

blackandgoldsc
01-28-2012, 09:49 AM
I agree we need some o line and NT help. I don't know if there will be anyone at our pick that would be worth a first round choice for the O line. With that said (and I know it isn't NT) I would like to see us take Melvin Ingram or Burfict. Ingram can adjust from what he played in college and be an asset.

kan_t
01-28-2012, 09:55 AM
The Steelers always take the best player available (in their view) in the draft. I don't think they will change this approach anytime soon.

6RingsAndCounting
01-28-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm not too worried about Burfict's troubles. I think they should take him, it seems like the defense was missing their emotion towards the end of the season and I think he would bring some swagger back

Ricco Suavez
01-28-2012, 10:23 AM
I like Poe or Burfict. Would love a quality O-Line guy.

Is it just me but does it seem that unless you are drafting in the top half of the draft that there is little to no difference between O-Linemen that are available between say, picks 17-64. A lot of very good linemen are picked between those numbers, but few really great ones, while at least to me the very best are high picks. Anyones thoughts on this?

6RingsAndCounting
01-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Is it just me but does it seem that unless you are drafting in the top half of the draft that there is little to no difference between O-Linemen that are available between say, picks 17-64. A lot of very good linemen are picked between those numbers, but few really great ones, while at least to me the very best are high picks. Anyones thoughts on this?

I agree completely, once the top 3-5 linemen are taken, it's almost like you could randomly pick them.

Ricco Suavez
01-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Went back and took a quick look at the last ten years of the draft concerning the Steelers, and when it comes to O-linemen we have been up and down the board.. Simmons and Maurkice both 1st rd, Gilbert 2nd, Urbik,Essex, and Starks 3rd, Colon a 4th, Stephenson a fifth (honestly i do not remember this guy) Kemo 6th and Shipley in the 7th. Of course we have had some undrafted guys make the squad and even an odd free agent here and there. It would appear that the Steelers FO is at least trying to address the line with the last two drafts seeing as how they used a #1 and a #2 pick the last two years, something they normally have not done.

austinfrench76
01-28-2012, 12:08 PM
I would be fired up about any interior lineman, O or D, or a CB. Nothing else in the 1st round!

LVSteelersfan
01-28-2012, 12:22 PM
It's mostly going to depend on who they have to cut loose to get under the cap. I suspect that they will go O-line but I agree that they go with what they consider BPA. The people picking have not changed and I doubt they go away from their formula. I don't see them picking up a safety since they have several up and coming players to fill that position. Too many other positions that need people worse. I do believe Rooney has made it clear that it is a priority to keep Ben upright in the coming year so my guess is O-line unless they have to reach for someone. BTW, I don't have time to follow the NFL and college football, so I don't know anything about the college players available. So I can't comment on specific players. The Steelers rarely pick the players that people mention any way because they are usually gone.

AgentGold007
01-28-2012, 01:12 PM
They can get Glenn in the first round, Josh Chapman (DT, Alabama) in the second, Nigel Bradham (LB, Florida State) or James Michael Johnson (LB, Nevada) in the third, Matt Reynolds (OT, BYU) in the fourth. Vontaze Burfict would be good in the Steelers D, but I see alot of personal fouls, fines, and suspensions in his NFL career, and I just don't think the Steelers roll the dice on a player with known character issues, doesn't seem like the Steeler way, plus they still have Stevenson Sylvester on deck.

ricardisimo
01-28-2012, 01:56 PM
The Steelers always take the best player available (in their view) in the draft. I don't think they will change this approach anytime soon.
Hmmm... that's the company line, but it's a bit too glib to be true. The only time in recent memory when I remember them clearly scrapping everything just to grab the BPA who had dropped to them (Rashard) was 2008, far and away Colbert's worst draft. He got a nice player in the first, the second was a bust (despite being also BPA), and the rest was almost completely worthless. They never recovered.

I think 2008 was a painful lesson that you go into the draft with a plan and you stick with it. BPA yes, but within certain parameters. I've seen a few mocks that have us taking Michael Floyd - a wide receiver - because he's supposedly the best player available at 24. But no, we are clearly not taking Malcolm Floyd at 24.

The other thing is that people say "the Steelers will take so-and-so at their slot because that's the BPA". Think about it, though: when was the last time (besides Pouncey, whose selection was the mother of all no-brainers) that anyone correctly predicted whom the Steelers would be picking? It just doesn't happen.

I will say this: if DeCastro drops even a little bit into, say, the high teens, I could see Colbert pulling the trigger on a trade.

kan_t
01-28-2012, 02:44 PM
The other thing is that people say "the Steelers will take so-and-so at their slot because that's the BPA". Think about it, though: when was the last time (besides Pouncey, whose selection was the mother of all no-brainers) that anyone correctly predicted whom the Steelers would be picking? It just doesn't happen.

I agree with you that they have a plan. They must have one. But I would say that their plan is rather flexible. I think no one correctly predicted whom the Steelers would be picking because people always thought that they would address their biggest needs instead of best player available.

I also agree with you that if DeCastro drops to mid 10 range, the Steelers will trade up. He's just to good not to trade up IMO.

AgentGold007
01-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Cordy Glenn is starting at left tackle in the Senior Bowl. That will increase his draft value if he has a solid performance.

OX1947
01-28-2012, 03:19 PM
I dont know what drafts you guys have been watching the last decade but the steelers do not draft best available in the first round. They draft need. My guess is if hightower is there, they pick up hightower. They need a new middle linebacker who can stuff thr run. Hightower is levon kirkland II. Geta guard in the second round.

Bayz101
01-28-2012, 03:23 PM
I dont know what drafts you guys have been watching the last decade but the steelers do not draft best available in the first round. They draft need. My guess is if hightower is there, they pick up hightower. They need a new middle linebacker who can stuff thr run. Hightower is levon kirkland II. Geta guard in the second round.

Well, that depends on your opinion of BPA. There are several analysts with several BPA charts, and i'm sure Pouncey was on one of them :chuckle:

Solak
01-30-2012, 08:49 PM
I like Poe or Burfict. Would love a quality O-Line guy.

I would love Poe or Burflict at 24 and then maybe Zeitler in the 2nd round? Does anyone know a lot about Poe? I never saw him, I know the talent is there but did he ever face tough competition while playing at Memphis? Otherwise what do you think of Ta'amu of Washington? Looked decent in the Senior Bowl.

VTsteel
01-30-2012, 09:08 PM
I personally agree . . . we need an O lineman.

However, Mr. Colbert has a propensity to draft BPA . . .

If any of these guys are available - my bet is that he goes BPA again . . . Man, i hope not . . . But if recent history is any indication

1.Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford - 6'4 - 235
2.Matt Kalil, OT, Southern California - 6'7 - 295
3.Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama - 5'11 - 224
4.Matt Barkley, QB, Southern California - 6'2 - 220
5.Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford - 6'6 - 304
6.Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State - 6'1 - 211
7.Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina - 6'6 - 285
8.Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina - 6'4 - 229
9.Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama - 6'2 - 192
10.Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor - 6'2 - 220
11.Zach Brown, LB, North Carolina - 6'2 - 230
12.Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU - 6'0 - 185
13.Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame - 6'3 - 224
14.Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa - 6'6 - 300
15.Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College - 6'3 - 237
16.David DeCastro, OG, Stanford - 6'5 - 310
17.Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska - 5'10 - 205
18.Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama - 6'4 - 260
19.Vontaze Burfict, LB, Arizona State - 6'3 - 250
20.Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia - 6'5 - 348
21.Courtney Upshaw, LB, Alabama - 6'2 - 265
22.Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia - 6'0 - 185
23.Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma - 6'4 - 229

Goldsteel86
01-31-2012, 05:38 PM
IMO I would like to see O-Line or D-Line first, probably in that order, then what would be the possibilities of looking at possibly a running back. Will Mendenhall ever be the same and is he the Steelers answer? It might be a good thing to either look at another running back especially if Rooney wants to get back to "Steeler Football", if not a running back how about a young fullback?

Bayz101
01-31-2012, 05:52 PM
IMO I would like to see O-Line or D-Line first, probably in that order, then what would be the possibilities of looking at possibly a running back. Will Mendenhall ever be the same and is he the Steelers answer? It might be a good thing to either look at another running back especially if Rooney wants to get back to "Steeler Football", if not a running back how about a young fullback?

OT and DL is my only concern. We have Baron Batch, Isacc Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, John Clay and several other Back's who all smoked the college level. Most of them didn't get a chance. Baron Batch is the man looking in on this situation, expect to see him running lead next year, Mendenhall probably won't be the same right away.

60_MINUTES
01-31-2012, 09:53 PM

No the steelers take BPA according to their needs... Meaning we could use NT Oline ILB so we will take the BPA of one of those areas.. and Thank goodness we do it like that...

Just think If the Steelers picked number one.. your telling me we would take LUCK... I dont think so.. We are paying 102 million for BEN and he is 29 years old... so the BPA theory is wrong... I agree we take BPA but its always towards a spot of need as well.. the truth is we always need more then one thing which is good and helps the BPA work...

Last year we were going into the year with Hampton a 10 year NT and a back up with Hoke at 34 years old.. Brent K... getting some age... Arron Smith coming off another injury and old... with Hood being the only young guy... Heywood was a need for sure... I think he would a good pick for that need but make no mistake about it we had to look at D line

Bayz101
01-31-2012, 09:59 PM
No the steelers take BPA according to their needs... Meaning we could use NT Oline ILB so we will take the BPA of one of those areas.. and Thank goodness we do it like that...

Just think If the Steelers picked number one.. your telling me we would take LUCK... I dont think so.. We are paying 102 million for BEN and he is 29 years old... so the BPA theory is wrong... I agree we take BPA but its always towards a spot of need as well.. the truth is we always need more then one thing which is good and helps the BPA work...

Last year we were going into the year with Hampton a 10 year NT and a back up with Hoke at 34 years old.. Brent K... getting some age... Arron Smith coming off another injury and old... with Hood being the only young guy... Heywood was a need for sure... I think he would a good pick for that need but make no mistake about it we had to look at D line

I agree, but you need to learn our guy's names :rofl:

Probably just tired, but it's Brett, Aaron and Heyward :chuckle:

Fire Arians
01-31-2012, 10:04 PM
I agree, but you need to learn our guy's names :rofl:

Probably just tired, but it's Brett, Aaron and Heyward :chuckle:

hey at least it's not butchered as bad as 'mike williams' or 'rashard mendinghall' :chuckle:

Bayz101
01-31-2012, 10:09 PM
hey at least it's not butchered as bad as 'mike williams' or 'rashard mendinghall' :chuckle:

Lmao! Mike Williams. I remember that guy posting videos mispronouncing his name :rofl::rofl:

60_MINUTES
02-01-2012, 07:17 AM
leave me alone guys I mis spell my own name twice a week...