PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin met with former Colts HC Jim Caldwell???

tony hipchest
01-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Not confirmed so take it for what its worth.

MarkKaboly_TribMark Kaboly

Just got tip that Tomlin had breakfast at Omni William Penn this morning with Jim Caldwell. Source told me "95 percent sure" it was Caldwell

Ricco Suavez
01-28-2012, 11:44 AM
If true ME likey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boomer
01-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Not confirmed so take it for what its worth.

MarkKaboly_TribMark Kaboly

Just got tip that Tomlin had breakfast at Omni William Penn this morning with Jim Caldwell. Source told me "95 percent sure" it was Caldwell

Oh god say it aint so!!! I don't want this guy anywhere around our team!! :doh::banging:

Steelerfreak58
01-28-2012, 12:06 PM
He knew how to get in the the end zone with Peytons offense.

55BaileyFan
01-28-2012, 12:33 PM
The Steelers wouldn't have not offered Arians a contract...thus him retiring if they were just going to hired another passing OC. I would be SUPER shocked if they don't hire from within or hire a former Steelers coach from the offensive side....BRING THE BUS IN, lol.

pete74
01-28-2012, 01:26 PM
And Arians will probably go to Indy

ricardisimo
01-28-2012, 01:37 PM
That's not entirely far-fetched. I don't think Bruce is going to work anywhere, but if he does get work he might very well go to Indy to be Luck's position coach. Good luck.

pete74
01-28-2012, 01:46 PM
I was being serious. I think he will be running Indys offense

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2012, 01:51 PM

Based upon the huge numbers his offense always put up on Baltimore when Pagano was there?

Steel Peon
01-28-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm actually pretty happy to hear this, and I expected it. Caldwell was much better as a coordinator ( see LeBeau, Dick) and the Colts play calling was always excellent. Tomlin and he have worked together in the past, and are very familiar with each other. Being that both of them come from the same roots, and are on the same page, there is a much lower likelihood that they'll be any disagreements between the two. I think Ben can learn from Caldwell, and given his notoriously unemotional behavior, he's less likely to yell at Ben, which is something that apparently irritates Ben. I wouldn't be unhappy with this very proven OC.

And if Ben ain't happy, let him go and sign Peyton after the Colts don't pay him.:grin:

StainlessStill
01-28-2012, 02:11 PM
Some coach's are just better fitted as coordinators. Look at the entire Patriots staff once they left the Patriots. They just couldn't find a niche as a head coach and remain strong candidates as coordinators (Wade Phillips anyone?) Caldwell seems like the type that would stay true to our philosophy while paying more attention to detail with weakness as a coordinator. What I think will work is that he will let Ben play, kind of like Arians did since he let Peyton take the reigns for most of his time there at Indy. I believe Caldwell will give Ben even more freedom with a tweaking of the playbook, something we need as a fresh offensive puzzle.

Nothing is confirmed, but whoever it will be coming in here, I'll be excited with the change. I trust in the Rooney's more than any other so it's good to see them excited to move on as well. Good sign.

FacemeIke
01-28-2012, 02:23 PM

I live in Indy, and just heard a rumor Arians was being hired as OC under Pagano. I'm not seeing anything official online yet though, so maybe it was just a rumor and nothing more

ricardisimo
01-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Steelers Depot is reporting this (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/01/reports-tomlin-may-have-interviewed-caldwell-arians-might-be-colts-next-oc/) as well.

pete74
01-28-2012, 02:31 PM
It makes sense. Its really a dream job because Luck is almost defiantly going to be a star and like Manning did for years a good Qb can make any OC look good

pete74
01-28-2012, 02:32 PM
It makes sense. Its really a dream job because Luck is almost defiantly going to be a star and like Manning did for years a good Qb can make any OC look good

Based upon the huge numbers his offense always put up on Baltimore when Pagano was there?

What? How many teams ever look good against Baltimores defense? Look what they did to Brady last week.

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2012, 02:42 PM
What? How many teams ever look good against Baltimores defense? Look what they did to Brady last week.

My question was based upon what Pagano saw in Arians - one might assume his closest look at how Arians operated was when they played each other

So it appears the Colts are hiring Arians as OC - good luck with that

55BaileyFan
01-28-2012, 02:42 PM
I live in Indy, and just heard a rumor Arians was being hired as OC under Pagano. I'm not seeing anything official online yet though, so maybe it was just a rumor and nothing more

I was reported on ESPN.

pete74
01-28-2012, 03:01 PM
My question was based upon what Pagano saw in Arians - one might assume his closest look at how Arians operated was when they played each other

So it appears the Colts are hiring Arians as OC - good luck with that

I got you. I forgot he was there new coach. As for Avians, I never really complained about him but I hated his predictable play calling and im glad were replacing him. I can see why Indy would want him because of his pass happy offense but I think they will regret it within a year

Darthslayrr
01-28-2012, 03:03 PM

You're right Indy did sign him, Arians will want to trade their No. 1 for ours and Ben.

Ricco Suavez
01-28-2012, 03:25 PM
You're right Indy did sign him, Arians will want to trade their No. 1 for ours and Ben.

I love me some Ben but if that was true we would be crazy not to at least consider it.

Bayz101
01-28-2012, 03:31 PM
I love me some Ben but if that was true we would be crazy not to at least consider it.

After seeing what happened with Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russel, it'd be safe for me to say it'd be a terrible decision. Never put everything you have behind a quarterback who has yet to prove himself at the professional level. It's different if you have the pick, but to trade for it is questionable.

Ricco Suavez
01-28-2012, 03:42 PM
After seeing what happened with Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russel, it'd be safe for me to say it'd be a terrible decision. Never put everything you have behind a quarterback who has yet to prove himself at the professional level. It's different if you have the pick, but to trade for it is questionable.

Hey I never said to trade him, just to not consider it would be foolish. The top pick and unload a ton of salary. According to most here Bens best years is behind him and maybe 3-5 years tops left.

But I understand the old saying "one in the hand".

ricardisimo
01-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Hey I never said to trade him, just to not consider it would be foolish. The top pick and unload a ton of salary. According to most here Bens best years is behind him and maybe 3-5 years tops left.

But I understand the old saying "one in the hand".
According to most here? That's a stretch. I think most people here want him to stop taking sacks so that his best years will still be in front of him. A few curmudgeons here don't seem to think he had any "best years", behind him or yet to come.

Bayz101
01-28-2012, 04:20 PM
According to most here? That's a stretch. I think most people here want him to stop taking sacks so that his best years will still be in front of him. A few curmudgeons here don't seem to think he had any "best years", behind him or yet to come.

As far as i'm concerned, Ben's great years are still ahead of him. It was just last year they we're saying he was in his prime, and Brady and Manning have both been playing at elevated levels every year when healthy, and they've both been in the league longer. As long as the line holds up and Ben get's rid of the ball earlier, we'll be okay.

MasterOfPuppets
01-28-2012, 04:27 PM
you guys do know that caldwell was never the OC at indy or anywhere else right ? he was peytons QB since 2002 before becoming HC.

zcoop
01-28-2012, 04:32 PM
As far as i'm concerned, Ben's great years are still ahead of him. It was just last year they we're saying he was in his prime, and Brady and Manning have both been playing at elevated levels every year when healthy, and they've both been in the league longer. As long as the line holds up and Ben get's rid of the ball earlier, we'll be okay.

I agree, he's got to throw the damn thing away when nothing's there. That alone will give him a few extra years to play. He is in his prime at this point in his career.

Kingmagyar
01-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Yeah Caldwell was never the OC in Indy. That's not to say he wouldn't know what to do, but I don't want him hired just because he's a buddy of Tomlin's. You don't hire friends you hire the right man for the job.

tony hipchest
01-28-2012, 05:03 PM
its also very possible that fitchner be the new OC and caldwell be the QB coach.

Bayz101
01-28-2012, 05:11 PM
its also very possible that fitchner be the new OC and caldwell be the QB coach.

Good point. Can't believe I didn't think of that :banging:

Atlanta Dan
01-28-2012, 05:12 PM

As Jim Caldwell tracks the downward career path of Jim Zorn?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/28/ravens-were-concerned-about-zorn-becoming-insubordinate/

Zorn left as QB coach after allegedly having issues with Ravens OC Cam Cameron

Seems whomever the new OC might be would not be thrilled about Caldwell also being on the staff as a potential rival:noidea:

TRH
01-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Ben's best years are IN FRONT of him............

Anyways, i have a feeling its going to be Caldwell or Fichtner. We'll see if a late surprise enters into the equation though.
I have a feeling they're going to want to get this done ASAP (as the other teams have been doing) to best give the new OC plenty of time to prepare to come in and get ready for the season.

DanRooney
01-28-2012, 06:29 PM
I really hope it's not Caldwell.

Third Rail
01-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Caldwell is a joke. He would have had two 2-14 seasons had Peyton not been there to run the team for him in 2010.

If we hire Caldwell as OC, then it will likely result in one of two scenarios:

1. an offense that's even weaker than when we had Bruce Arians

2. an offense that improves because Caldwell is one of those guys that doesn't mind sitting in the background and letting the QB run the show

The second scenario is a possibility, really. Caldwell was a non-coach when Peyton was the QB in Indy. Considering that the Steelers played better when Ben called the plays, perhaps the Rooneys and Tomlin have decided that their best offensive player needs to be calling the shots. That, of course, is a risk... I love Ben but I don't know that he's quite at Peyton's level in that regard. I certainly think he's a leader but he's not the type of QB who can cover for all of his team's shortcomings the way someone like Peyton or Brady can.

MasterOfPuppets
01-28-2012, 06:50 PM
Yeah Caldwell was never the OC in Indy. That's not to say he wouldn't know what to do, but I don't want him hired just because he's a buddy of Tomlin's. You don't hire friends you hire the right man for the job.
my point was ,if you look back at some of the post , people are judging caldwell on indy's offense. if caldwell wasn't the architect or operator of indy's offense then how can people be judging him based on it ?
:noidea:

tony hipchest
01-28-2012, 07:58 PM
I really hope it's not Caldwell.no doubt.

qb coach... i can deal with that. im sure he's learned alot from manning.

however, if we could have a running back putting up edgerrin james type numbers, to go with our defense and receivers, i think we'd be right back in the hunt for the superbowl.

noteworthy that the manning colts won their only SB thanks their running game and lost their only one due to their lack of one. :hunch:

Boomer
01-28-2012, 08:07 PM

:thumbsup::applaudit:

stb_steeler
01-28-2012, 08:48 PM

I agree.....is it just me or did the guy have that look on his face as if, oh well were here!
Maybe its just me.....lol :noidea:

mesaSteeler
01-28-2012, 11:37 PM
The Steel Mill
News and updates about the Pittsburgh Steelers

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/01/28/tomlin-meets-with-caldwell/

Tomlin meets with Caldwell?
January 28th, 2012

While all signs were pointing to quarterback coach Randy Fichtner as a sure-bet to replace Bruce Arians as offensive coordinator, the Steelers might not be ready to pull the trigger quite yet.

I received a tip that Mike Tomlin met with former Indianapolis head coach Jim Caldwell on Saturday morning at swanky Terrace restaurant inside the Omni William Penn Hotel.

Tomlin was dressed in jeans and a Steelers long-sleeved shirt with a Steelers hat on while Caldwell was wearing a black shirt and a black leather jacket while the two met in a secluded area of the restaurant.

The Omni William Penn is where the team stays the nights before home games.

So what does this mean?

Well, it means something and nothing at the same time.

Just because Caldwell had a meeting with Tomlin doesn’t make him the favorite for the job. But still, where there is smoke, there is fire.

Tomlin and Caldwell have a history together, and that can’t be ignored.

The two were first-year assistants under Tony Dungy in 2001 while at Tampa Bay. Caldwell went to Indy the next year with Dungy while Tomlin stayed with the Buccaneers.

Look at Tomlin’s coaching staff – he feels very comfortable hiring people he has coached with in the past.

When he was hired by the Steelers in 2007, Tomlin brought on Randy Fichtner, Amos Jones, Larry Zierlein, Kirby Wilson and Garrett Giemont – all of whom he worked with before.

It is not a coincidence that the two known candidates for the job once worked with Tomlin – Caldwell and Fichtner.

Sure, Caldwell is 20 years older than Tomlin, but he hired Wilson, who is 15 years older, and Zierlein, who is 30 years older.

Is it a possibility that Caldwell could be the next Steelers offensive coordinator?

Well, you just don’t bring a guy to town to have breakfast with him and say hello.

Keep in mind, being a candidate doesn’t mean you are going to get the job. You’d hate to have Tomlin just promote from within without scanning the open market first.

We have no idea of that is what he was doing Saturday morning or not. But it appears he is doing his due diligence about the coordinator spot.

Either that, or Caldwell was being interviewed about the quarterback coach job that will come open when Fichtner is hired.

We just don’t know.

Steeldude
01-29-2012, 04:12 AM
so the steelers may go from an OC who picks plays out of a hat to an OC who doesn't have any plays to pick? :noidea:

Boomer
01-29-2012, 08:44 AM
OK somebody give us some good news. Let us know you saw Caldwell leaving town without any Steelers gear on! :hope:

xli...
01-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Has Caldwell ever called any plays on any level?

Atlanta Dan
01-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Has Caldwell ever called any plays on any level?

Maybe when he was the HC at Wake Forest?

xli...
01-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Maybe when he was the HC at Wake Forest?

O those powerhouse years? :coffee:

Atlanta Dan
01-29-2012, 02:21 PM
O those powerhouse years? :coffee:

It's a lot easier to coach 'em up when you have the talented recruits SEC powers such as Florida, LSU and Bama bring in than it is at Wake, Vandy, and Duke:chuckle:

xli...
01-29-2012, 02:31 PM
It's a lot easier to coach 'em up when you have the talented recruits SEC powers such as Florida, LSU and Bama bring in than it is at Wake, Vandy, and Duke:chuckle:

Maybe he won't be on TV as much, but I don't know how much I can handle watching his dumbfounded blank stare on the sidelines.

xli...
01-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Which reminds me of this....

http://0.media.sportspickle.cvcdn.com/72/53/578a73fb2daa93a944b65ce5676d3817.jpg

Buddha Bus
01-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Which reminds me of this....

http://0.media.sportspickle.cvcdn.com/72/53/578a73fb2daa93a944b65ce5676d3817.jpg

It would be a nice change of pace from the "I'm so much smarter than everyone else I even fool myself" glare that Arians had while being out-coached most of the time. :chuckle:

http://g33kgoddesses.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/arrogant-man.jpg

steelfury02
01-29-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm liking our chances in general this coming season

A. 3rd defensive coordinator for Ravens in 3 yrs - not having Pagano will not bode well for them - I don't see them being quite as dominant this coming season IMHO - gong to be some leaks and I think they can be run on from what I saw against NE

B. Bruce Arians is gone, Ben is unhappy, other position coaches potentially leaving, everyone already counting us out = inevitable division title and playoff bye

C. So let's keep the doubt up and when we combine that with some losses to avenge things are lookin' bright!:tt04: