PDA

View Full Version : Petition for Stan Savran

section514
07-07-2006, 09:38 AM
sign this petition just to show your support for him to find a new gig and to show Fox 970 that they made a mistake. His last show is today 3-6 970 AM

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/Savran

83-Steelers-43
07-07-2006, 09:46 AM
IMO, this city is greatly lacking good, solid sportscasters (TV and Radio)........dumping Stan just made it even worse. Signed.

nicesteel4life
07-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Sorry Dude but not really gonna miss him on that show....He did alright, BUT LOVE the show after the Steelers Games!! Great for the ride home! He still will be doing that!

AND Clear Channel stinks anymore.....LOL

section514
07-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Sorry Dude but not really gonna miss him on that show....He did alright, BUT LOVE the show after the Steelers Games!! Great for the ride home! He still will be doing that!
r u sure that he will be doin the post-show?

83-Steelers-43
07-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Pompeani: Used to like him. Then he turned into a complete homer.

Paul Alexander: Already fired from his radio gig. He spent more time bashing the fans (Steeler fans in particular) than he did voicing his opinion on sports.

Madden: While he knows his hockey, that's where it stops. Plus the man doesn't have an ounce of class in his body.

Tim Benz: Madden wannabe only 250 pounds lighter and currently hitting puberty.

Those are just a few.....

BlackNGold203
07-07-2006, 09:52 AM
signed....thanks!..

HometownGal
07-07-2006, 09:53 AM
I will be more than happy to sign the Petition, 514. I've always loved Stan Savran. How could anyone not ? I grew up watching his twin. C-c-c-c-c-courage. :sofunny:

http://www.tomgpalmer.com/images/Cowardly%20Lion.jpg

Note the resemblance!

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3572104_36_2.jpg

section514
07-07-2006, 09:55 AM
send it to your friends

stlrtruck
07-07-2006, 09:56 AM
sign this petition just to show your support for him to find a new gig and to show Fox 970 that they made a mistake. His last show is today 3-6 970 AM

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/Savran

Just to show support, I signed it. Maybe he could come to Tampa and improve the Sports shows here.

tony hipchest
07-07-2006, 10:19 AM
I will be more than happy to sign the Petition, 514. I've always loved Stan Savran. How could anyone not ? I grew up watching his twin. C-c-c-c-c-courage. :sofunny:

Note the resemblance!

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3572104_36_2.jpgthe resemlance is uncanny

section514
07-07-2006, 10:21 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/75/Cowardly_Lion.jpg/200px-Cowardly_Lion.jpghttp://msn.foxsports.com/id/3572104_36_2.jpg

BlackNGold203
07-07-2006, 10:22 AM

Note the resemblance!

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/3572104_36_2.jpg

OMG....LOL....how weird is that???

Stlrs4Life
07-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Signed it. Stan is great at what he does, love his shows. Was he fired?

section514
07-07-2006, 02:12 PM
www.fox970.com his last show is on now click listen now

SteelCityMan786
07-07-2006, 03:26 PM
petition signed. end of story.

83-Steelers-43
07-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Was he fired?

Yes, on radio. He was replaced by Tim Benz. Fortunately, he still has Sports Beat on FSNP.

clevestinks
07-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Save Stan, I agree, but only if he burns his clothes, there usually outdated.

83-Steelers-43
07-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Save Stan, I agree, but only if he burns his clothes, there usually outdated.

LOL, those suits are hard on the eyes, that's for sure. People call in and bust on him at times. Hell, he busts on himself at times.

It's plain and simple..........Stan is the man.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-07-2006, 05:23 PM
IMO, this city is greatly lacking good, solid sportscasters (TV and Radio)........dumping Stan just made it even worse. Signed.

Agree. Haven't lived there for awhile but every year I go back and just shake my head.

Of all places San Diego had/has a one of the best but who knows now. ESPN Radio is taking over and not necessarily for the better.

GoFor6
07-07-2006, 08:01 PM
I'll pass on Stan - he adds nothing. Edmond Nelson is the man who should see more airtime. He knows the game and is willing to share it. I asked Stan once to tell me who our best 2 techique player was and I could see he had no idea what was talking about. Steeelers fans know the game and we need people willing to get into it and talk at a much higher level as leave the press clipping reporting to the beat writers selling papers to casual fan. Juat my opinion. Great job though trying to save your man.

section514
07-07-2006, 08:24 PM
I'll pass on Stan - he adds nothing. Edmond Nelson is the man who should see more airtime. He knows the game and is willing to share it. I asked Stan once to tell me who our best 2 techique player was and I could see he had no idea what was talking about. Steeelers fans know the game and we need people willing to get into it and talk at a much higher level as leave the press clipping reporting to the beat writers selling papers to casual fan. Juat my opinion. Great job though trying to save your man.
Edmond Nelson deserves to be the KDKA preseason game announcer and nothing more.

How many people here know what a two technique is anyways, thats high school lingo

83-Steelers-43
07-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Edmond Nelson deserves to be the KDKA preseason game announcer and nothing more.

Correct. Edmond Nelson deals with the Steelers and Steelers only. Let's hear Edmond talk Penguins hockey and Pirate baseball. To tell you the truth, I don't even see why Edmond Nelson was brought up in this conversation. He has nothing to do with Pittsburgh sports outside the Steelers. I enjoy his input when it comes to Steelers football, but that's where his job and knowledge ends.

Stlrs4Life
07-07-2006, 09:53 PM

How many people here know what a two technique is anyways, thats high school lingo

Exactly, Edmond isn't very good at all. He wasn't even a very good player for us.

section514
07-07-2006, 11:26 PM
i was just goin to say that, edmond sucks, I could live perfectly fine if Pompiani and Nelson never did a steeler event ever again,

83-Steelers-43
07-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Personally, I've always like Edmund Nelson. I'm getting an opinion from a guy who had actually played the game and who doesn't sugarcoat when things are going bad (Pompeani's biggest flaw in my opinion) but praises them when they play good ball. I'd go as far as taking Nelson over Wolf or Tunch, who also have the Pompeani Homer Bug, Wolf in particular.

Ambridge
07-08-2006, 02:56 PM
No more post game show with Stan??
Damn, I always listened to that heading out of town after the game.

Please don't put Tunch in the post game slot........I agree that he's got too much "Homer" and always tries to paint a Rosy Picture during bad situations.
Tunch should just stay in the announcers booth with Bill Hilgrove.

Good luck Stan.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-08-2006, 05:16 PM
I didnt like it when FSN fired Guy Junker and I sure dont like this either ! I signed it.

83-Steelers-43
07-09-2006, 09:22 AM
I didnt like it when FSN fired Guy Junker and I sure dont like this either ! I signed it.

Same here. I'm a Junker fan also. Apparently, so are the prostitutes in this city (one of two reasons why he was fired)....:bouncy:

83-Steelers-43
07-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Some good news for Stan and fellow Stan fans..........

Radio reverse: Savran is headed to ESPN
Monday, July 10, 2006

Less than 48 hours after he bid a tearful farewell to his talk-show listeners on Fox Sports Radio 970, Stan Savran will be announced as a part-time addition to the staff of rival ESPN Radio 1250.

Savran will be formally introduced this afternoon at 5 p.m. on the Mark Madden Show.

Dennis Begley, the general manager of ESPN, said, "Stan will be part of our football coverage and will be involved in other duties. We're very pleased to add him to our roster of talent."

Begley indicated Savran will be part of the station's Steelers postgame show. It's also likely Savran will do some work as a fill-in for vacationing talk-show hosts.

Savran, who has been doing sports-talk in Pittsburgh radio for the better part of the past 30 years, was fired about five weeks ago by Clear Channel, which owns Fox Sports Radio 970. The show, which had been on the air for three years, had regularly been finishing second to Madden in the ratings, but had a core of faithful listeners.

In describing Savran's firing, John Rohm, the regional vice president of Clear Channel, said, "In a nutshell, we decided to go in another direction."

Since the firing became public about three weeks ago, Savran's show, which was heard from 3 to 6 p.m., often turned into a lovefest with long-time listeners recalling how much they enjoyed the show and how much they would miss Savran.

Savran often has been critical of Madden and ESPN in general, describing the station as going after "the lowest common denominator."

By contrast, Savran took the high road and was regarded in and out of the business as the epitome of professionalism.

It was that professionalism that probably had something to do with Clear Channel allowing him to remain on the air after he was fired. Radio personalities often are asked to leave immediately after termination. That was the case, for example, at KDKA-Radio, which took Paul Alexander, Mike Pintek and Mike Romigh immediately off the air after firing them in late December.

"It's very unusual," Savran said just minutes before beginning his final show Friday, "and I take that marginally as a compliment to my professionalism. But if my professionalism is so important, why did this [his firing] happen?"

Savran would not likely fill in for Madden because his main duties, as host of Savran on Sports Beat from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. on FSN Pittsburgh, would preclude him from doing Madden's 3 to 7 p.m. show.

Because of his television duties, Savran would be restricted to filling in only on the Junker and Crow Show, which is heard from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. This could open the possibility of Savran being reunited with Guy Junker, his partner on Sports Beat at FSN for about 13 years.

If Savran does the Steelers' postgame show, he probably will work with Madden, who has been doing that show for several years. Such a pairing would certainly draw listeners just to see if the two would get along. They haven't always been able to do so.

Early last year, Madden, on the air, called Savran, "a Steelers PR guy," and "a shill."

Concerning Madden, Savran said, "If you listen to him on any kind of a regular basis, you're a dope, you're not too bright."

Their disagreements, though, seem to be more professional than personal. A few months later the two were seen chatting amicably at a media function.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06191/704740-194.stm

Ambridge
07-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Great to hear Stan has another gig lined up.

Probably a no-brainer to think that Stan wouldn't catch on elsewhere in Pittsburgh.
I think it's fair to say that Stan is synonymous with Pittsburgh, obviously not as big as Myron Cope but he's carved out a nice nitch for himself.

I think FOX must be cleaning house. I noticed the last couple of years they've been bringing new reporters(That are much younger) that I've never heard of before and that have no "feel or experience" for sports in Pittsburgh.
It's like they're trying to take on a Cold Pizza type format......basically appealing to the uninformed-fringe sports fans.

83-Steelers-43
07-10-2006, 09:35 AM
I wonder what the work place will be like between Stan and Slob.

nicesteel4life
07-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Exactly, Edmond isn't very good at all. He wasn't even a very good player for us.

NELSON SUCKS!!!! I have never heard a man act like he was a god on the field for the Steelers so bad. He wasent even mediocre. Personally I get sick and tired of his horriable comments that make no sense whatsoever. Replace him with Stan in a heart beat...

I think we should start a petition to remove him.....lol

Ambridge
07-10-2006, 10:02 AM
I wonder what the work place will be like between Stan and Slob.

Should be interesting.

Kinda like spraying a can of air freshener into a bathroom after someone has just taken a "Massive".

section514
07-10-2006, 10:27 AM
how come everyone with the last name Madden is a fatass douche bag?

slashsteel
07-10-2006, 11:38 AM
:lol 514 good question..............

Man_Of_Steel
07-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Stan is very knowledgable about Pittsburgh sports. Out of all of them in Pittsburgh, I respect his opinion the most. Petition signed.

shevdog
07-10-2006, 06:13 PM
They are dumping Stan? What the heck? Cities like Philly and NYC should stop stealing the broadcasting talent.

Where is Stan going? Hopefully he'll stay on Fox Sports Pittsburgh

83-Steelers-43
07-10-2006, 08:02 PM
They are dumping Stan? What the heck? Cities like Philly and NYC should stop stealing the broadcasting talent.

Where is Stan going? Hopefully he'll stay on Fox Sports Pittsburgh

They (Clear Channel) already dumped Stan and he has a filling in job with ESPN.