PDA

View Full Version : Where is Odell Thurman?

RoethlisBURGHer
07-07-2006, 12:55 PM
http://bengals.mostvaluablenetwork.com/category/general/

Odell Thurman; Mysterious Absence, Conspiracy Theories Abound

The best kept secret in Bengal-dom this off-season has nothing to do with Carson Palmer and his knee rehab. It has to do with their star player on the other side of the field, MLB Odell Thurman. An instant fan favorite for his hard hitting style, Odell has gone incognito this off-season. Rumors have been floated to a possible league suspension for drug or steroid use. There have also been stories of been fined repeatedly during the 2005 season for violating team rules. While we should be talking about how the 6′, 236 pounder looks to bulk up and become one of the leagues top middle linebackers, we are left wondering what is going on, why he?s was excused from camp. Profootballtalk.com went so far as to say that Odell could be in more hot water than AJ Nicholson, Frostee Rucker and Chris Henry combined (and it takes effort to surpass Henry).

Marvin?s silence on the matter likely speaks volumes. By refusing to discuss the situation we can only expect the worst. After all, if nothing is wrong why wouldn?t they say something. Or at the very least why would they stop selling his jerseys at the Pro Shop.

One possible indicator of Thurman?s prospects could be found in the upcoming July 13th supplemental draft. If the Bengals are to bid on talented yet troubled LB Ahmed Brooks, it could be the most telling sign of trouble ahead for Odell. Talk about Landon Johnson as a MLB all you want, but he is does not have the size or hitting ability to stuff the run and take advantage of Mount Adams? double teams. Plus, I can?t imagine Pollack playing OLB on passing downs (anyone see him in pass coverage drills). AJ Nicholson has the size but when was the last time a 5th round MLB became a quality starter in his rookie year. Personally, Brian Simmons may be the best option.

Here?s to hoping the rumors are just rumors. Unfortunately, the longer the silence the more likely a problem is brewing. At this point don?t expect to hear anything until camp opens. Don?t forget drug suspensions generally are not public knowledge until the season (and suspensions) start (see Duane Clemons 2005).

Wow it's got to suck to be a Bengals fan at this time.Rucker,Nicholson, and Henry sre all in hot water and it looks like Odell Thurman may be in even hotter water than all three combined?What the hell did he do?

The worst part about this is the first three aren't considered star players on the roster but Thurman is.I really liked Odell as a player too,I thought he'd become a superstar this year.The only reason he isn't as well-known outside of our division is because his performance last year was overshadowed by fellow rookie lb Shawn Merriman.

And btw,Bengal Brian,this article came from a pro-Bengals site so don't come at me with your "this is anti-Bengal pro-Steeler" BS you constantly try to bring to these forums.

CantStop85
07-07-2006, 01:10 PM
http://bengals.mostvaluablenetwork.com/category/general/

Wow it's got to suck to be a Bengals fan at this time.Rucker,Nicholson, and Henry sre all in hot water and it looks like Odell Thurman may be in even hotter water than all three combined?What the hell did he do?

The worst part about this is the first three aren't considered star players on the roster but Thurman is.I really liked Odell as a player too,I thought he'd become a superstar this year.The only reason he isn't as well-known outside of our division is because his performance last year was overshadowed by fellow rookie lb Shawn Merriman.

And btw,Bengal Brian,this article came from a pro-Bengals site so don't come at me with your "this is anti-Bengal pro-Steeler" BS you constantly try to bring to these forums.
At this point no one at all really knows what's going on with Odell Thurman...he could be in trouble for something or he could also has some personal issues that he has to take care of. No one really knows...I guess we'll find out eventually, but at this point it's all speculation. Rucker, Henry, and Nicholson's troubles mean little to nothing to me because they're all expendable, but if Odell were in trouble, that's bad news.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-07-2006, 01:20 PM
At this point no one at all really knows what's going on with Odell Thurman...he could be in trouble for something or he could also has some personal issues that he has to take care of. No one really knows...I guess we'll find out eventually, but at this point it's all speculation. Rucker, Henry, and Nicholson's troubles mean little to nothing to me because they're all expendable, but if Odell were in trouble, that's bad news.

I really hope Odell isn't in any trouble.Did he have any character issues in college?

DIESELMAN
07-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Definitely will be interesting to see if anything develops out of this. Why would they stop selling his jersey? Did they run out or did they completely take his stuff off the racks? who knows.....:helmet:

CantStop85
07-07-2006, 01:27 PM
I really hope Odell isn't in any trouble.Did he have any character issues in college?
He had a few on-the-field issues while at Georgia. He was suspended for 3 games for violating team rules in 2004. Never anything really serious.

Prosdo
07-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Wonder what the deal is with him? As Roe said he seemed like an up and comer. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

lilyoder6
07-07-2006, 03:21 PM
i doubt that someone jersey could be sold out.. but i hope he returns

SteelerFanInCA
07-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Are they expecting him to be at training camp?

clevestinks
07-08-2006, 08:59 AM
I would love to say that the bengals fans have to be bumming. But the old rock throwing/glass houses thing sticks out in my mind. This has been a bad off season for us as well. Three arrests, the accident, Porters knee/holdout????

BlackNGold203
07-08-2006, 09:47 AM
*sniff* *sniff*

I smell training camp coming.....Like a lead up to Christmas.....

I want the Bengals at full strength...hope this guy is OK

HburgXL06
07-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Everyone is always curious about everyone else during the off-season. For all we know the man could just be on a vacation. I have no idea where he is but if it is that serious then that can be a real problem for the bengals. I don't know how strong a role Thurman plays in the locker room but it has to hurt the bengals a bit that so many players, and young players are bein kept from playin on the team. I'm not doubtin that Marvin will find a way to compensate but at this point it seems that if a trend like this continues for the bengals they're not gonna have many players come the start of the season.

BuFu

RoethlisBURGHer
07-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Everyone is always curious about everyone else during the off-season. For all we know the man could just be on a vacation. I have no idea where he is but if it is that serious then that can be a real problem for the bengals. I don't know how strong a role Thurman plays in the locker room but it has to hurt the bengals a bit that so many players, and young players are bein kept from playin on the team. I'm not doubtin that Marvin will find a way to compensate but at this point it seems that if a trend like this continues for the bengals they're not gonna have many players come the start of the season.

BuFu

The thing is,they don't stop selling your jersey if you go on vacation.They don't run out of Palmer and Johnson jerseys and those are the two most popular players on the team,so it's unlikley that they just ran out.

If they stop selling your jersey,something more-than-likley happened.

83-Steelers-43
07-08-2006, 05:11 PM
He's currently playing for the San Quentin Queers.

CowherLover
07-09-2006, 12:01 PM
He's currently playing for the San Quentin Queers.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
(83>) :poke: (<cantstop85)
:sofunny:

meanjoecoop
07-09-2006, 02:24 PM
The thing is,they don't stop selling your jersey if you go on vacation.They don't run out of Palmer and Johnson jerseys and those are the two most popular players on the team,so it's unlikley that they just ran out.

If they stop selling your jersey,something more-than-likley happened.

:point:
Yeah, and when you have 5 Johnsons on your team you only have to change the first initial on the left over jerseys.

BengalBrian
07-10-2006, 08:00 AM

This is old news and stop trying to imply something I dont do... CONSTANTLY :rolleyes:

:blah:

Marvin_for_prez
07-12-2006, 08:42 PM
There have been countless unsubstantiated rumors about Thurman every time the wind blows funny. This is absolutely nothing new. Until Marvin says something, or the team takes some sort of action against him, or the team holds a press conference, or he gets caught red-handed doing something illegal it is nothing but heresay and speculation.
And that "where there's smoke there's fire" BS has no bearing on anything. This is America. Innocent until proven guilty. His actions since he has become a Bengal have done absolutely nothing to indicate that he ever has or ever will be a problem in any way.
And another thing, any article that uses profootballtalk.com as one of its sources can pretty much be instantly disregarded. That website is nothing more than a rumor mill that isn't even worth the bandwidth that it takes up. Those dirtbags are non-football knowing, rumor-mongering pieces of s***. F*** PFT.

CowherLover
07-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Oh my..... Hit on a sore spot friend?

CantStop85
07-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Stop playing around and tell us how you really feel, Marv.

Marvin_for_prez
07-13-2006, 02:16 AM
Oh my..... Hit on a sore spot friend?
:smile:
Yeah, I guess. I just hate anything associated with profootballtalk.com. That has to be the absolute worst "football" site on the 'Net. Those guys are the Weekly World News of football internet sites.
I know that article came from a Bengals site, but stupid-ass people read the crap on PFT and then repost it and the next thing you know you have a wildfire rumor started over nothing.
Tons of Bengals fans just keep repeating all of these baseless accusations against Thurman and keep the fire going. It is almost like they actually want him to f*** up so that they can say "I told you so" or something.
Q: What kinds of fans start and/or continually perpetuate negative rumors about their own team?
A: Shitty ones.
If he does something bad, let me know about it. Until then, piss off with that crap.

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2006, 09:43 AM
This is as mysterious as Ray Gricar's Disapperance.

BengalBrian
07-13-2006, 09:47 AM
This is as mysterious as Ray Gricar's Disapperance.
Unfortunately Marvin keeps as much under wraps as he can.. If something is going on, he will do what he can to keep it quiet.. On one hand it sucks because I dont know whats going on, but on the other, the rest of the NFL doesnt.. Which is good..

Anyway...

It is a mystery... I would hate to see Odell announced as suspended in the beginning of the season.. But then again, it could be absolutely nothing

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Unfortunately Marvin keeps as much under wraps as he can.. If something is going on, he will do what he can to keep it quiet.. On one hand it sucks because I dont know whats going on, but on the other, the rest of the NFL doesnt.. Which is good..

Anyway...

It is a mystery... I would hate to see Odell announced as suspended in the beginning of the season.. But then again, it could be absolutely nothing

He might end up being indefeninantly suspended for go AWOL

BengalBrian
07-13-2006, 10:57 AM
He might end up being indefeninantly suspended for go AWOL
That would surely suck for us... :chug: I would start drinking a lot then

dhosmer
07-13-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm thinking that this isn't that big of a deal. The only really strange thing in my mind is the jersey sales... someone said earlier that they "don't run out of their most popular jerseys like chad and carson," but i actually think it makes more sense that they would run out of a jersey of an up and comer like odell, since maybe they didn't manufacture as many jerseys. i don't know, let's hope nothing is wrong because i, like most of steeler fans, want to play the bengals at full strength, and he's a huge part of their d.

BB2W
07-13-2006, 11:31 AM
That too bad... Thurman is a hell of a player. There were rumors of character issues with him prior to the draft, but I thought he had straightened things out. This will really hurt Bengaldom if he doesn't play, he's definitely a fan favorite.

CantStop85
07-13-2006, 03:07 PM
With the drafting of Ahmad Brooks, it brings up even more questions about Odell.

Big D
07-13-2006, 03:13 PM
what kinda crime is he accused of?

CowherLover
07-13-2006, 03:17 PM
I thought the same thing. I'm not tryin to bash your team but dude........you guys need some real leaders in the locker room to at least try and help mentor some of these troubled players that have been signed. I know you have a few but they are definitely the minority. I would be concerned if I were a fan. (I am not trying to start a war of words with this post, just keepin it real)

CantStop85
07-13-2006, 03:24 PM
what kinda crime is he accused of?
He's not accused of any crime, he just hasn't been with the Bengals for the past couple of weeks...word has been that he had to take off for family issues, but PFT and other sources have said that Odell has done something deserving of discipline. We won't know either way until the start of training camp.

Big D
07-13-2006, 03:24 PM
I thought the same thing. I'm not tryin to bash your team but dude........you guys need some real leaders in the locker room to at least try and help mentor some of these troubled players that have been signed. I know you have a few but they are definitely the minority. I would be concerned if I were a fan. (I am not trying to start a war of words with this post, just keepin it real)
very well put. I think the same. Who are the leaders in that locker room? Chad johnson?

CantStop85
07-13-2006, 03:30 PM
very well put. I think the same. Who are the leaders in that locker room? Chad johnson?
I'd say Palmer's become the biggest leader in the locker room (wonder why that half-time breakdown occurred last year)...beyond that, Willie Anderson, Brian Simmons...Odell from what I hear was one of the biggest leaders on the defense last season even as a rookie.

Big D
07-13-2006, 04:26 PM
I'd say Palmer's become the biggest leader in the locker room (wonder why that half-time breakdown occurred last year)...beyond that, Willie Anderson, Brian Simmons...Odell from what I hear was one of the biggest leaders on the defense last season even as a rookie.
I was being sarcastic. i'm well aware then carson is the leader of that team. but to me having all these different personalitys would divide the locker room

Big D
07-13-2006, 04:28 PM
I just have a feeling that chad johnson will melt down and turn into t.o

Milkman
07-13-2006, 04:59 PM
ESPN bottom line.........O'dell Thurman suspended for the 1st 4 games of the year for substance abuse....tsk tsk.

BengalBrian
07-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Wonderful!!!! /Sarcasm

tony hipchest
07-17-2006, 05:04 PM
There have been countless unsubstantiated rumors about Thurman every time the wind blows funny. This is absolutely nothing new. Until Marvin says something, or the team takes some sort of action against him, or the team holds a press conference, or he gets caught red-handed doing something illegal it is nothing but heresay and speculation.
And that "where there's smoke there's fire" BS has no bearing on anything. This is America. Innocent until proven guilty. His actions since he has become a Bengal have done absolutely nothing to indicate that he ever has or ever will be a problem in any way.
And another thing, any article that uses profootballtalk.com as one of its sources can pretty much be instantly disregarded. That website is nothing more than a rumor mill that isn't even worth the bandwidth that it takes up. Those dirtbags are non-football knowing, rumor-mongering pieces of s***. F*** PFT.

:rofl: (i had to bust a gut at this post)

steelerfans saw it coming. how come you didnt?

lilyoder6
07-17-2006, 05:30 PM
i don't think chad will become another T.O. chad actuaslly likes his QB..