PDA

View Full Version : USA Today's 2006 Player Rankings

CantStop85
07-07-2006, 01:22 PM
The rankings are broken down to include 1 or 2 elite players and 1 or 2 up-and-coming players:
Wide receivers: Chad Johnson and Steve Smith (Elite) | Larry Fitzgerald (Up-and-comer)
Tight ends: Antonio Gates (Elite) | Kellen Winslow II (Up-and-comer)
Offensive linemen: Walter Jones and Alan Faneca (Elite) | Logan Mankins (Up-and-comer)
Defensive backs: Champ Bailey and Troy Polamalu (Elite) | DeAngelo Hall (Up-and-comer)
Linebackers: Brian Urlacher and Derrick Brooks (Elite) | Lofa Tatupu and Shawne Merriman (Up-and-comers)
Defensive linemen: Richard Seymour (Elite) | Luis Castillo (Up-and-comer)
Running backs: To be posted July 13
Quarterbacks: To be posted July 19

There should be a photo gallery and article about all of the elite players if you click on their names. The names should be down on the left side of the page. The link I'm posting is to the Chad Johnson/Steve Smith article, but you can use the links on the side to see the other players.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-07-05-elite-wr_x.htm?POE=SPOISVA

BlackNGold203
07-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the link....checking it out....

kmsteelerwr15
07-07-2006, 01:58 PM
how did they pick seymour over peppers?

lilyoder6
07-07-2006, 03:16 PM
i know peppers is great.. and what about freeney??

Livinginthe past
07-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Seymour is twice the player Peppers is.

Also, up-n-comer for the Tight end selection should have been Ben watson - if any of you guys play FF - trust me and take this guy he was ready to break out and with the lack of established WR's on the roster he is expected to catch 50+ balls this year.

NM

Big D
07-07-2006, 03:24 PM

Also, up-n-comer for the Tight end selection should have been Ben watson - if any of you guys play FF - trust me and take this guy he was ready to break out and with the lack of established WR's on the roster he is expected to catch 50+ balls this year.

NM
or heath miller. Why put a guy on this up and comming list that hasnt played in two years.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-07-2006, 03:24 PM

NM

I agree with about Ben Watson. This guy is an hell of an athlete. I think Ben is going to have a really good year with the Pats. I would agree with the 50+ catches this year. I would also say Ben has double digit TD's this year.

BlackNGold203
07-07-2006, 03:32 PM

NM

Agreed...Watson is the real deal...and Brady will be looking for him ALOT....

Winslow??

This guy hasnt taken a snap in what??..2 years??

Big D
07-07-2006, 03:34 PM
or heath miller. Why put a guy on this up and comming list that hasnt played in two years.
i think people ignore my posts

CantStop85
07-07-2006, 03:40 PM
I definitely would've put Ben Watson over KWII, even Heath Miller. I don't see how you can label someone up-and-coming when they haven't played in 2 years.

SteelerFanInCA
07-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Nice to see Troy getting some props.

lilyoder6
07-07-2006, 04:45 PM
watson could play some receiver with his speed.. i think Randy McMichael would be a good pick as well

HometownGal
07-07-2006, 10:15 PM
I think Alge Crumpler should be in the elite category. That guy is fast as lightning and is the big play man in Atlanta (well - when Mike Vick throws the ball instead of playing RB). He had 800+ yards last season and is always good for 5-6 TDs a season. I grab him in FF every season.

boLT fan
07-07-2006, 11:10 PM
I like that the Chargers have 3 (soon to be 4 when they do RB's on there). Just another thing to get excited for this season. :bouncy:

What do you guys think will be on there for the remaning two? I think:

Runningback: LaDainian Tomlinson and Shaun Alexander (Elite) / Larry Johnson (Up And Comer)

Quarterback: Peyton Manning and Tom Brady (Elite) / Charlie Frye (Up And Comer)

SteelShooter
07-07-2006, 11:56 PM
I like that the Chargers have 3 (soon to be 4 when they do RB's on there). Just another thing to get excited for this season. :bouncy:

What do you guys think will be on there for the remaning two? I think:

Runningback: LaDainian Tomlinson and Shaun Alexander (Elite) / Larry Johnson (Up And Comer)

Quarterback: Peyton Manning and Tom Brady (Elite) / Charlie Frye (Up And Comer)

FRYE ???????????????????????????????????????????

Livinginthe past
07-08-2006, 04:18 AM
I think they will go for.

RB - Larry Johnson and Shaun Alexander (Elite) - Joseph Addai (Up'n'comer)

QB - Tom Brady and Peyton Manning (Elite) - Rex Grossman (Up'n'comer)

NM

lilyoder6
07-08-2006, 08:07 AM
i don't think LJ should bve called an elite back for after 9 games. i mean he is good but i will see if he can do what he did last year this year

clevestinks
07-08-2006, 08:53 AM
The Winslow at TE, this is just a tad premature, dont you think? Whats he proven??

Hawk Believer
07-13-2006, 06:16 PM
RBs article today. No love for Alexander. Who needs love anyway?

Running backs: LaDainian Tomlinson (Elite) | Larry Johnson (Up-and-comer)
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/chargers/2006-07-12-elite-rb_x.htm
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/chiefs/2006-07-12-upcoming-rb_x.htm

Livinginthe past
07-14-2006, 01:27 AM
RBs article today. No love for Alexander. Who needs love anyway?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/chargers/2006-07-12-elite-rb_x.htm
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/chiefs/2006-07-12-upcoming-rb_x.htm

There is a strong suspicion that Alexander benefits greatly from one of the best O-Line's in the NFL - which is a chicken and egg scenario that wont be resolved until another back tries to run behind it.

LaDainian has put up phenomonal numbers in a team with no QB (for the most part) and a poorly regarded O-Line, factor in which conference Alexander plays in and you have your answer.

I'd love to see Tomlinson get a ring, but only if the Patriots were already out of the running.

NM

Hawk Believer
07-14-2006, 09:14 AM
There is a strong suspicion that Alexander benefits greatly from one of the best O-Line's in the NFL - which is a chicken and egg scenario that wont be resolved until another back tries to run behind it.

LaDainian has put up phenomonal numbers in a team with no QB (for the most part) and a poorly regarded O-Line, factor in which conference Alexander plays in and you have your answer.

I'd love to see Tomlinson get a ring, but only if the Patriots were already out of the running.

NM
Actually, I agree about Shaun. He is not an all around RB. Doesn't block, doesn't catch. But he fits our system really well. I was kinda curious to see how he would have played if he had gone ot another team as a free agent. I just though he might get a mention after the hyperinflated numbers he put up last year.

dhosmer
07-14-2006, 09:28 AM
I think they will go for.

RB - Larry Johnson and Shaun Alexander (Elite) - Joseph Addai (Up'n'comer)

QB - Tom Brady and Peyton Manning (Elite) - Rex Grossman (Up'n'comer)

NM

Charlie Frye? Rex Grossman? Why aren't we choosing someone that has been in the league a couple of years and looked great but isn't at Brady or Manning status yet? Like Ben, or gasp... Palmer? Frye looked terrified last year, granted he was a rookie. The only award I'm giving to Grossman is Most Likely to be Injured in Preseason.

Livinginthe past
07-14-2006, 12:20 PM
Actually, I agree about Shaun. He is not an all around RB. Doesn't block, doesn't catch. But he fits our system really well. I was kinda curious to see how he would have played if he had gone ot another team as a free agent. I just though he might get a mention after the hyperinflated numbers he put up last year.

Thats a good honest post.

He ranks up there in the top 3 or 4, along with Tiki Barber.

NM

Livinginthe past
07-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Charlie Frye? Rex Grossman? Why aren't we choosing someone that has been in the league a couple of years and looked great but isn't at Brady or Manning status yet? Like Ben, or gasp... Palmer? Frye looked terrified last year, granted he was a rookie. The only award I'm giving to Grossman is Most Likely to be Injured in Preseason.

Seems to me that the criteria for the up'n'comer award is having been in the league only a year or so.

If you look at the TE position - you have a guy that hasn't played a down for a couple of years.

Personally I like Grossmans mechanics, the few opportunities I got to see him last year he threw the ball well in very defense friendly conditions...snow etc etc.

He was a massive step up from Kyle Orton (which I know isn't saying much), but he energised his offense with his presence straight away.

Another thing to remember is that he plays for a very Defense minded team - they dont have a great deal to offer on 'O' - but maybe that will chnage if Cedric Benson is as good as they say he is.

Palmer and Roethlisberger have already 'arrived' - but they aren't in Brady's class yet.

NM

X-Terminator
07-14-2006, 01:31 PM

So basically all he does is score touchdowns? (to use the great quote that Buddy Ryan used to describe Cris Carter :grin:)

Hawk Believer
07-14-2006, 01:51 PM
So basically all he does is score touchdowns? (to use the great quote that Buddy Ryan used to describe Cris Carter :grin:)
Yup. I'm not complaining. The man can run the ball. But I think a lot of people out here think he has the potential to be among the all time greatest if he chose to catch a ball here or there and protect Hasslebeck more. Course, if he tried doing all those things, maybe he would not have been so resistant to inuries. The man is a freaking horse and hasn't missed a start for years. Anyway, at this point, it probably would be too much of a risk to change his game. But defensive coordinators would be getting less sleep the week before a Hawks game if he did choose to be more versatle.