PDA

View Full Version : Who Is The Best Athlete From Your State Or Who Played In Your State

Lyn
07-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Michigan

Is full of great athletes. I would say Barry Sanders was definitely a freak of athleticism, however, there are so many more great ones, at least in their time. Now, players are faster than ever, but Barry was amazing to watch. Then there is Kirk Gibson, Steve Smith, heck even Tom Brady lol
nascar drivers, almost all sports are proudly represented but I would have to say that Ervin (Magic) Johnson was most definitely the best.

I can remember hearing on the nightly news about this kid in high school who was an awesome basketball player and absolute "magic" to watch. So one Friday night my husband and I had nothing to do, not much money, newly married, etc but we wanted to do something that did not cost alot of money so my husband said lets go down to Everett (a local high school about 3 blocks from our house) and see what all the comotion is about that kid they call Magic. So we did.

I swear to God that was the most exciting high school game I had ever been to, that kid was... well he was magic to watch. We followed his career through high school, then he went to Michigan State, by this time we could afford season tickets to Michigan State.

The kid was well there are no words to adequately describe his playing ability. You really had to see it and in a very short time, the nation did see it as Magic and company won the NCAA Championship in '79.

At that time I was fresh out of college and in my 1st year of teaching at a local Catholic School. The governor was going to meet the '79 Spartans at the capitol and the parade was going to go down Michigan Ave, the street the school I taught at just happened to be on the parade route. All of us teachers took our own kids to school that day and we lined up our classes in front of the school on the parade route.

I remember someone buying each of us teachers one long stemmed, single carnation with a green S on it for State. That was a special day in my mind. A player needs to connect with the fans in order to be fondly remembered and Magic certainly did go out of his way to do that. He is still smiling today :) Whereas, Barry Sanders did not

BBC
07-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Pittsburgh

Dan Marino. I actually played with him on High School All-Star teams, and intercepted him in college. The guy is really one of a kind. He was unstoppable when he was younger, it almost wasn't fair.

tony hipchest
07-07-2006, 09:28 PM
*sigh*

brian urlacher
terence mathis
luc longley
kenny thomas (all unm alumns)

dont even get me started on stoney case (he was great in college)

CantStop85
07-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Shaun Alexander is probably the best native-born athlete from Kentucky.

tony hipchest
07-07-2006, 09:55 PM
since nascar drivers were brought up i must include indy racers

al unser and al unser jr

and it wouldnt be fair to leave out boxer johnny tapia

and golfer nota begay.

thats all i got.

CowherLover
07-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Being from the Buckeye, I don't think I could list all of the phenomenal athletes at any given sport. :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
07-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Being born and raised in Western Pa..................where do you start?

CAH
07-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Being born and raised in Western Pa..................where do you start?
I live in Western PA, too.

Mario
Marino
Namath
Jim Kelly
Roberto Clemente

LOL I could add another 100 or so.

Dynasty
07-07-2006, 10:34 PM
people from the burgh have a just about limitless list. need i continue?

kmsteelerwr15
07-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Well im from West Chester, PA so it would to be Bam Margera.....but since im living in the Charlotte Area, the ones that i know for sure are Ric Flair and Chris Leak, and of course you can't forget about MJ.

Lyn
07-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Being from the Buckeye, I don't think I could list all of the phenomenal athletes at any given sport. :sofunny:

Ohio has produced many great players in most all sports! Resourceful state!

Lyn
07-07-2006, 11:01 PM
I live in Western PA, too.

Mario
Marino
Namath
Jim Kelly
Roberto Clemente

LOL I could add another 100 or so.

batch.....I guess his greatness has yet to be proven but he is an adequate filler.

HometownGal
07-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Pittsburghers (or surrounding area):bouncy: :

Kurt Angle
Arnold Palmer
Bill Mazeroski
Johnny Unitas
Joe Montana

83-Steelers-43
07-07-2006, 11:33 PM
Wait, I've seen two names on this thread that were not born in Western Pa. My question, are we talking about players born in the area or who simply played in the area? Because "Maz" was not born in Pittsburgh or in the state of Pennsylvania in general. He was born in Wheeling, WV and Roberto Clemente was born in Carolina, Puerto Rico.

Lyn
07-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Wait, I've seen two names on this thread that were not born in Western Pa. My question, are we talking about players born in the area or who simply played in the area? Because "Maz" was not born in Pittsburgh or in the state of Pennsylvania in general. He was born in Wheeling, WV and Roberto Clemente was born in Carolina, Puerto Rico.

<Who Is The Best Athlete From Your State Or Who Played In Your State> is the title but I was really aiming for who from your state.

83-Steelers-43
07-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Oh, then yeah............if your from Western Pa.........we could sit here all day. Between World Series rosters, Stanley Cup rosters, Super Bowl rosters and athletes that have nothing to do with any of the three sports mentioned, we could be here a while.

Lyn
07-08-2006, 12:01 AM
yeppers you are right. It should read Who From Your State Is The Best Athlete but that is also hard. Michigan and Ohio have quite a few as does PA. And many more states.

MattsMe
07-08-2006, 02:28 AM
This is an easy one.

Mickey Mantle

tony hipchest
07-08-2006, 01:00 PM
brian urlacher will definitely go down as the best athelete cornfed and bred in cowtown nm. he may be the 1st h.o.f.er in our state.

luc longley is an aussie

RoethlisBURGHer
07-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Being from Ohio it's hard to say really.We've got Ohio State and most of the MAC in this state.

MasterOfPuppets
07-08-2006, 06:05 PM
sugar ray leanord :boxing:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Larry Bird is by far the best athlete from Indiana that I can think from the top of my head.

Don Larsen the only pitcher to throw a perfect game in a World Series game was born and from Michigan City, IN. The town I live in.

Lyn
07-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Louisiana--Pete Maravich

Mississippi--Jerry Rice

To me, Jerry Rice is definitely or was definitely the best all around athlete in the NFL. I saw an interview with him and TO and Jerry is the one who put the football work ethic into TO.

BBC
07-08-2006, 09:53 PM
To me, Jerry Rice is definitely or was definitely the best all around athlete in the NFL. I saw an interview with him and TO and Jerry is the one who put the football work ethic into TO.

Umm...what football work ethic?

Lyn
07-08-2006, 10:33 PM
You are joking, right?

Lyn
07-08-2006, 10:38 PM
The 42-year-old receiver, a first-round draft pick out of tiny Mississippi Valley State in 1985, leaves the field with 38 NFL records, including the most career receptions (1,549), yards receiving (22,895) and touchdowns receiving (197).

But as much as the numbers, it was the way he did things that made the biggest impression ? the right way. He was a slave to details, a master of route-running precision, a good guy off the field and a workout junkie both in season and out.

Not many people that own all the records spend that type of commitment and give that type of commitment in the offseason," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "That's why, in my opinion, he's the greatest player to ever play the game."

this article goes on and is very interesting http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2005-09-05-rice-retirement_x.htm?POE=SPOISVA

BBC
07-09-2006, 12:07 AM
You are joking, right?

I'm very serious. I don't see much football ethic from a guy doing sit-ups in his driveway :hunch:

Lyn
07-09-2006, 12:23 AM
TO adopted Rice's ethics. That is all I meant. :)

3 to be 4
07-09-2006, 12:45 AM
South Windsor/Vernon,CT - Bill Romanowski, Rockville High School
Hyannis,Ma - Edward M. Kennedy - long distance swimmer, 1969