PDA

View Full Version : Readers react: Owners rankings drew ire, especially from Pitt fans

SteelersMongol
07-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Hey guys. I just wanted to let you know that you guys have done it. The man is apologizing for his unreasonable mistake by placing Mr. Rooney in 10th. :smile: Because WE went nuts.

=================================================
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/michael_silver/07/07/owner.reax/index.html
=================================================

The first time I spoke to Dan Rooney, in the owner's modest office in Three Rivers Stadium a couple of days before the 1994 AFC Championship Game, I was struck by his utter disinterest in making sure I knew he was the boss. Here he was, a bona fide NFL legend, and yet unlike so many of his peers -- and, let's face it, so many far less accomplished men and women in various contexts, from boardroom to bar door -- he possessed no need to make you feel his power.

Eventually, I fished for and landed the anecdote I needed to translate all of that to the pages of SI, though thanks to the San Diego Chargers' subsequent victory over the heavily favored Steelers, it never actually ran: Rooney, on that Sunday and virtually all others, arrived at the game without pomp or circumstance -- or, for that matter, muscle or entourage.

He merely emerged from the front door of his nearby home, strolled among the tailgaters and football-tossing neighborhood kids and walked right up to the main entrance of Three Rivers Stadium, where he handed his ticket to the usher and proceeded inside.

Hearing that made me want to hug the man. It was part of the reason I admire the Steelers and love the city of Pittsburgh -- and it's one reason I'm not surprised that after releasing my NFL owner rankings last week, many of you reacted as though I'd just rated Oprah as the No. 10 daytime talk-show host.

Today, for the most part, I yield the floor to some of Rooney's many defenders, as well as those readers disputing (or championing) the rankings of the NFL's other 31 owners, many of whom appear to be as beloved as a swarm of hungry mosquitoes.

And speaking of my otherwise awesome camping trip to Lake Tahoe, we begin with an abridged version of an e-mail I received from a longtime Steelers supporter -- we'll call him Deep Primanti, and trust me, he is far from an apologist when it comes to the franchise -- whose missive to my personal account (subject line: "Puh-leeze") was digested, thanks to my brand-new Moto Q, while chilling on a gorgeous beach at Meeks Bay.

83-Steelers-43
07-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Smart move on his part. Silver saved some face.

BlackNGold203
07-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Kudos to him for writing this article....most writers wouldnt....

RoethlisBURGHer
07-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Kudos for saving face and writing this article.

I'll take the Rooneys over the Jerry Joneses and the Robert Krafts of the world any day.

PITTSBURGH STEELERS FOOTBALL:THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT!

clevestinks
07-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Biased Yes I am, but how could the Rooneys not be number one? Top three atleast. I guess its what the judgement is on. If your looking for the owners to put good football teams on the field year after year consistantly for 30 years, if your looking for an owner that has very high moral standards. And if your looking for longevity in the owners family. Look no further, How can the new owners that brought millions to the table to buy into the NFL, compare to owners who built teams from scratch as the Rooneys did, Old money vs. new money I guess???

My vote THE ROONEYS! Hands friggin down!

DIESELMAN
07-08-2006, 12:14 PM
That was no apology.......He just brought up a memory from 12 years ago on how he admired "THE MAN". Funny how he forgot about that and all the other accomplishments the Rooneys have done for football when he wrote the article. Give him another chance to write the article again I bet not much changes. Silver is a dumbass!!!!!

Livinginthe past
07-08-2006, 12:24 PM
It doesn't appear to me that he has changed his mind about his rankings.

Just a shmaltzy story to try and deflect some of the criticism he received in the aftermath of his owners 'power-rankings' - this latest article is just another way of generating free press for what basically a flawed, poorly thought out original piece of journalism.

I would have even less respect for him if he actually did change his mind after some fans complained about it.

That would mean one of two things -

1. He is so weak minded his own opinion can be swayed by the opinions angry fans

2. The article was so poorly researched he genuinely misunderstood the influence the Rooneys have had on football.

NM

clevestinks
07-08-2006, 12:32 PM
I was at a wedding last night here in Ohio. The Bride if from a family that has been like part of our own family for many many years, We are all Die Hard Steelers Fans. She married into a browns fans family. And her father came up to me and said " Glenn they, the browns fans, just don`t get it. Its not just football, its not just a game. Its so much more" And it is I`m sorry to say alot of so-called fans just don`t get it. the Rooneys get it, and alot of us get it. Last night they played the Steelers Fight Song and we had a hundred fans on the dance floor screaming and singing along. I`m not embarrassed to admit that I had goose bumps from head to toe. Then they followed it up with Family Tradition by Hank Jr. we Steelers fans are family. And the Rooneys are the God fathers of our family. Yes maybe we are a bit biased. But we have a damn good reason for it.

Here We Go Steelers! Here We Go Rooneys!

The only thing that matters is that we know that we have the best owners in football!

83-Steelers-43
07-08-2006, 12:34 PM
I was at a wedding last night here in Ohio. The Bride if from a family that has been like part of our own family for many many years, We are all Die Hard Steelers Fans. She married into a browns fans family. And her father came up to me and said " Glenn they, the browns fans, just don`t get it. Its not just football, its not just a game. Its so much more" And it is I`m sorry to say alot of so-called fans just don`t get it. the Rooneys get it, and alot of us get it. Last night they played the Steelers Fight Song and we had a hundred fans on the dance floor screaming and singing along. I`m not embarrassed to admit that I had goose bumps from head to toe. Then they followed it up with Family Tradition by Hank Jr. we Steelers fans are family. And the Rooneys are the God fathers of our family. Yes maybe we are a bit biased. But we have a damn good reason for it.

The only thing that matters is that we know that we have the best owners in football!

Preach it brother. :tt: :drink:

steelcity984
07-08-2006, 01:10 PM
It's okay, the Rooneys got number1 on ESPN's Who's Number One? Best Owners.

BlackNGold203
07-08-2006, 01:37 PM

Well said....kudos to you...:sign01:

MNsteelers
07-08-2006, 01:57 PM
I think it's pointless to say who the best owner is anyway. Under what criteria do you place such a huge distinction? There are literally hundreds of characteristics of a successful manager/leader.

Obviously, I'm a Rooney guy, and I consider him to be one of professional sports' greatest ownership family, but can any of us honestly place anyone higher than Bob Kraft, Jerry Jones or Pat Bowlen? I don't see any of those three as more OR less than the Rooneys have been. I think you can lump those four on top, with no exceptional way to discern them from each other. All are extremely successful (13 of 40 Super Bowls, including nine of the last 13), loyal (their fan-bases make up nearly half of all NFL merchandise sales largely because they keep their fans satisfied with the product they are putting on the field) and savvy (none of them have had cap problems, and their teams rarely finish below .500).

Once again, I'm a Rooney guy and I'll take that family over any other ownership group, but are Cowboys, Pats or Broncos fans upset in the least? I would hope not. I mean, they could be Vikings fans...

So let's not think we can honestly rank the best owners. I think fans of the Steelers, Cowboys, Broncos and Patriots all can make a claim their ownership is among the best anywhere, not just football. I have nothing but respect (even though, yes, I get annoyed by Jerry Jones, too, but the product of the NFL wouldn't be as big as it is today without him) for all of them. Kudos to Silver for pointing that out, but minus points for thinking any one of them is better than the other.

silver & black
07-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Kudos to him for writing this article....most writers wouldnt....
Silver is still an idiot.:rolleyes:

patsdynasty
07-10-2006, 10:30 AM
Not trying to be a troll, but isn't this the same group that owned the team in the 90s when they were pretty much a farm system for the rest of the league- because they wouldn't pay most of their top free agents?

I'm far from a Steelers expert. But that was my impression of the orginization not that long ago.

tony hipchest
07-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Not trying to be a troll, but isn't this the same group that owned the team in the 90s when they were pretty much a farm system for the rest of the league- because they wouldn't pay most of their top free agents?

I'm far from a Steelers expert. But that was my impression of the orginization not that long ago.wouldnt or couldnt? it was the same team that was hurt by the salary cap and after 95 superbowl had many young high dollar free agents it couldnt afford to keep. they still remained competitive. (especially since they have won the most games since 92)

nicesteel4life
07-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Rooney's RULE!!! Period............................................ .................................................. ...... 100 Times Over.............................................. .................................................. ....

steelcity984
07-11-2006, 12:36 AM
It's pretty foolish to say they were a farm system for the rest of the league, yet over the time period of which you speak, they've won more games than any other team in the NFL. Genius.

24seven
07-11-2006, 01:12 AM
It doesn't appear to me that he has changed his mind about his rankings.

Just a shmaltzy story to try and deflect some of the criticism he received in the aftermath of his owners 'power-rankings' - this latest article is just another way of generating free press for what basically a flawed, poorly thought out original piece of journalism.

I would have even less respect for him if he actually did change his mind after some fans complained about it.

That would mean one of two things -

1. He is so weak minded his own opinion can be swayed by the opinions angry fans

2. The article was so poorly researched he genuinely misunderstood the influence the Rooneys have had on football.

NM

You make a strong and perfect point Living.. If he can't stick to his guns he don't need to be a journalist.. You can't change your mind once a few people disagree with you.. very weak in my opinon.. but I can change that if someone doesn't like it.. :P

patsdynasty
07-11-2006, 03:55 AM
It's pretty foolish to say they were a farm system for the rest of the league, yet over the time period of which you speak, they've won more games than any other team in the NFL. Genius.

Ok, maybe farm system was a bit of an overstatement, but you really need to grow slightly thicker skin. I made a completly innocent inquiry(out of curiosity) as to why Steelers fans are so supportive of ownership here. I wasn't trying to roust anybody.

There is nothing I hate worse than a troll. If you don't like a team you have no business in their fan forum. There really is no point in running around trying to stir up shit. If I go into other teams forums, I try to be a respectfull as possible. However, I might have to add my 2 cents on the "Tom Brady is Gay" thread.:smile:

At any rate, you really should get your facts straight before you call somebody an idiot.
During the time I am referring to (the 90s) the Steelers are number 10 in the composite standings. Impressive, but NOT number 1 as you stated. Here is the link: http://home.jps.net/~fos/nfl/nfl90s.htm

Look, I am not a Steelers expert, but I do follow football pretty closely. The Steelers had a reputation in the national media as being cheap in the 90s. I can't rattle of a list of names, but I do remember Rod Woodson having to go to Baltimore to win a SB. If it were my team, I'd be a little pissed. As a Patriots fan, I'm still not too happy about the Curtis Martin situation. And don't even get me started on Adam Vinitieri- maybe the most brain dead personell decision in the history of sports.

Just asking a question, man.

tony hipchest
07-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Look, I am not a Steelers expert, but I do follow football pretty closely. The Steelers had a reputation in the national media as being cheap in the 90s. I can't rattle of a list of names, but I do remember Rod Woodson having to go to Baltimore to win a SB. If it were my team, I'd be a little pissed. As a Patriots fan, I'm still not too happy about the Curtis Martin situation. And don't even get me started on Adam Vinitieri- maybe the most brain dead personell decision in the history of sports.

Just asking a question, man.ok. i will defend the rooneys here and help explain why fans are so supportive of ownership. ist of all any national media who called them cheap did a shoddy piece of journalism. to lump them in with the bidwells of arizona and browns of cinncinatti is completely inaccurate and unfair.

second, if you look at the free agency period which is the same time cowher took over the steelers have the winningest record in the league (followed closely by green bay) 6 afcc game appearances, 2 sb's and 1 sb win. half of that was accomplished in the cheap period you refer too (the 90's) a cheap owner would not accomplish this.

the rooneys lost players not because they were cheap, but because they had a star studded team, plus an antiquicated stadium that didnt allow them to shell out huge signing bonuses. they had to run a business. they also lost plenty of coordinators to head coaching positions.

then a funny thing happened. they got a new stadium in 2001. signed alot of core players to huge contracts and immediately returned to the verge of another sb berth.
if you look at the last 10 sb winners, all but 1 (st louis) plays in a new stadium that is less than 10 years old. this is no coincidence. having the new venues helps ownership to retain the big name players and give out the huge signing bonuses. owners cannot give out money if its not there.

so anyways, i think ive put to rest this crazy notion that the rooneys are cheap, and shown several reasons why the fanbase is so loyal. they and the team delivered and will keep on delivering.

Livinginthe past
07-11-2006, 12:05 PM
I don't think you can criticise the Rooneys leadership without criticising the current Patriots ownership.

Every personnel decision is made with, not just an eye on the current season, but the three or four seasons that follow.

Its why we dont re-sign guys like David Givens at inflated prices - not only are you overpaying for him, but you are painting yourself into a corner when the next WR walks into the office looking to renegotiate his contact - which is especially dangerous when that guy is your current No.1.

I have actually had to defend the Patriots on a few counts of being cheap on this very board, particularly when Two-Way Troy's contract was due for renewal last year.

Sure you could throw money at the guy - he has been an amazing servant for the Patriots - sacraficing his own personal receiving stats to help out in the DB corps - but he knows, as do all the long term Patriots, that overpaying a vet 4th receiver snowballs into a larger problem further down the road.

Im pretty sure that most of the digs in the Patriots direction regarding them being 'cheap' and relying on players to take a 'hometown discount' are playful enough - because, indirectly they were actaully taking a shot at the franchise the current Patriots are modelled upon - the Steelers.

NM

83-Steelers-43
07-11-2006, 12:06 PM
ok. i will defend the rooneys here and help explain why fans are so supportive of ownership. ist of all any national media who called them cheap did a shoddy piece of journalism. to lump them in with the bidwells of arizona and browns of cinncinatti is completely inaccurate and unfair.

second, if you look at the free agency period which is the same time cowher took over the steelers have the winningest record in the league (followed closely by green bay) 6 afcc game appearances, 2 sb's and 1 sb win. half of that was accomplished in the cheap period you refer too (the 90's) a cheap owner would not accomplish this.

the rooneys lost players not because they were cheap, but because they had a star studded team, plus an antiquicated stadium that didnt allow them to shell out huge signing bonuses. they had to run a business. they also lost plenty of coordinators to head coaching positions.

then a funny thing happened. they got a new stadium in 2001. signed alot of core players to huge contracts and immediately returned to the verge of another sb berth.
if you look at the last 10 sb winners, all but 1 (st louis) plays in a new stadium that is less than 10 years old. this is no coincidence. having the new venues helps ownership to retain the big name players and give out the huge signing bonuses. owners cannot give out money if its not there.

so anyways, i think ive put to rest this crazy notion that the rooneys are cheap, and shown several reasons why the fanbase is so loyal. they and the team delivered and will keep on delivering.

Could not have said it any better....... :toast:

CowherLover
07-11-2006, 12:19 PM

I'm far from a Steelers expert. But that was my impression of the orginization not that long ago.
You are correct, you're not an expert.
LITP, I completely agree with your last post.

Big D
07-11-2006, 12:50 PM
You are correct, you're not an expert.
LITP, I completely agree with your last post.
me 2

patsdynasty
07-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Ok, I stand corrected. I guess I should know better than to listen to the national media.

And as far as the Patriots being cheap. I can see them not overpaying for players. David Givens and David Patten were perfect examples. But there are some other moves that were real head scratchers. Letting Adam Vinitieri go- the most clutch kicker in NFL history? I'm not going to even get into the multitude of ways this could and almost certainly will hurt the Pats. The risk reward ratio is terrible And all over a half a million dollars!

If that's not cheap, I don't know what is. Arrogance maybe?

Maybe this isn't an apt analogy because I don't really see the Yankees as serious championship contenders- unless some pitching falls into their lap. But can you imangine the Yankees giving up Mariano Rivera over 500k and replacing him with Kyle Farnsworth and a rookie? Didn't think so.

Big D
07-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Ok, I stand corrected. I guess I should know better than to listen to the national media.

And as far as the Patriots being cheap. I can see them not overpaying for players. David Givens and David Patten were perfect examples. But there are some other moves that were real head scratchers. Letting Adam Vinitieri go- the most clutch kicker in NFL history? I'm not going to even get into the multitude of ways this could and almost certainly will hurt the Pats. The risk reward ratio is terrible And all over a half a million dollars!

Maybe this isn't an apt analogy because I don't really see the Yankees as serious championship contenders- unless some pitching falls into their lap. But can you imangine the Yankees giving up Mariano Rivera over 500k and replacing him with Kyle Farnsworth and a rookie? Didn't think so.
just like the steelers werent stupid for over paying for players like randle el or even not over paying for neil o'donnel when he bolted for the jets

CAH
07-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Hate to sound biased but are you people saying there are other owners in the NFL besides the Rooneys????? I never heard of any. (hee-hee)

Big D
07-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Hate to sound biased but are you people saying there are other owners in the NFL besides the Rooneys????? I never heard of any. (hee-hee)
i heard there are one or two more

MNsteelers
07-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Great posts on here, guys! Really good dialogue between Stillers guys and Pats guys - the two best franchises in football.

This has been touched on, but I wanted to state it a bit more boldly. These two franchises are not cheap - they are economical.

Let's compare the personnel decisions of the Patriots and Steelers vs. the Redskins. The Pat-lers seem to look a bit long-term and make a little more effort to emphasize the draft and developing their own players. The Redskins seemingly choose to pick up castaways from other teams, and try to get the best players at this moment.

It's hard to argue which of these practices have been more effective. The Redskins - while Clinton Portis is a good player - deal with trades, and don't seem to put the same magnitude on a first-round draft pick. They also are a lot more aggressive in the free agent market. While the Pats traded for Corey Dillon (not a free agent deal), their main FA signee was Rodney Harrison. Obviously a great player (should have been XXXIX MVP). The Steelers' big signee was James Farrior. How many players did the Redskins bring in last year alone through FA? Plenty.

Vinitieri nonwithstanding, the Pat-lers are putting more emphasis on not overpaying players, and bringing in character guys who fit their coaches system. The Redskins take the flashy talent, and have yet to concieve a team with a legitimate title shot.

So the Pat-lers are cheap because the 'Skins spend more money than they do? Puh-leeze. Consider it the American way: The Steelers - in the late 90s - produced a great product for less money. The Patriots have been even more successful with that same philosophy in 00s. How did the Pats find Vinatieri to begin with? How did the Steelers find Hines Ward? For all the years those players were still under their respective underpaid contracts, how much of that money was still available to add depth - the key component in a championship team? How much LESS money than the average for QBs were Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady being paid when they won their first titles?

Why overpay when you can rely on great coaching and great scouting to develop a team, instead of signing a 31-catch kick returner for $5 million?

So this thinking leaves only on synonym to the term "great owner."

Smart.

Big D
07-11-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm surprised that Joe Gibbs even wants all those different personalitys. I think he becamse a hall of famer for his coaching abilities. I think that may have changed though. Look how stacked that coaching staff is

MNsteelers
07-11-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm surprised that Joe Gibbs even wants all those different personalitys. I think he becamse a hall of famer for his coaching abilities. I think that may have changed though. Look how stacked that coaching staff is

To summize everything on this thread, I think it comes down to ownership. Dan Snyder has shown for years now he's committed to spending as much money as possible to bring his team a title. That sounds nice and everything, but he has yet to bring in the RIGHT people, just the highest paid ones with the highest prestige. The Steelers had five players from the 2002 draft start in the Super Bowl, and another one will start this year (7th round pick Brett Kiesel). The 'Skins had twice as many free agents start for their team the last two years, and they have one playoff win.

Big D
07-11-2006, 03:52 PM
To summize everything on this thread, I think it comes down to ownership. Dan Snyder has shown for years now he's committed to spending as much money as possible to bring his team a title. That sounds nice and everything, but he has yet to bring in the RIGHT people, just the highest paid ones with the highest prestige. The Steelers had five players from the 2002 draft start in the Super Bowl, and another one will start this year (7th round pick Brett Kiesel). The 'Skins had twice as many free agents start for their team the last two years, and they have one playoff win.
I think it just goes to show you that money doesnt always buy championship. Yes georgie boy made it an art in the late 90's but look how many owners have dumped serious money into the free agent market to get nothing out of it. And i'm not talking about just football.

clevestinks
07-11-2006, 08:26 PM
I`m less of a Gibbs fan now than I ever was before. It sems to me he is a bit of a sellout

CowherLover
07-12-2006, 09:30 AM
I`m less of a Gibbs fan now than I ever was before. It sems to me he is a bit of a sellout
I don't know Cleve, maybe keepin' with the times maybe? I don't know, I'm thinkin that before he came back and he was contemplating what to do, he didn't realize how things have changed. Particularly with ownership. Once he got back into the fire he couldn't walk away because he's not that kind of guy, IMO. (See Tony Stewart's incidents) I believe he is still one of the good guys and he's working hard to get to the big game one more time before he calls it quits. The other thing I really like about him is that when he came out of retirement, he went back to his old team. Now I don't know if any other teams tried to coax him out of retirement or not, but either way could you imafine being a Skins fan and watching him go to another team? If Cowher retires and comes back it will make me physically ill to see him on another teams sidelines.

Big D
07-12-2006, 09:34 AM
I don't know Cleve, maybe keepin' with the times maybe? I don't know, I'm thinkin that before he came back and he was contemplating what to do, he didn't realize how things have changed. Particularly with ownership. Once he got back into the fire he couldn't walk away because he's not that kind of guy, IMO. (See Tony Stewart's incidents) I believe he is still one of the good guys and he's working hard to get to the big game one more time before he calls it quits. The other thing I really like about him is that when he came out of retirement, he went back to his old team. Now I don't know if any other teams tried to coax him out of retirement or not, but either way could you imafine being a Skins fan and watching him go to another team? If Cowher retires and comes back it will make me physically ill to see him on another teams sidelines.
I think the only reason he came back was for the extra money to fund his nascar teams

MNsteelers
07-13-2006, 12:08 PM
I think it just goes to show you that money doesnt always buy championship. Yes georgie boy made it an art in the late 90's but look how many owners have dumped serious money into the free agent market to get nothing out of it. And i'm not talking about just football.

I don't think teams are really even able to "buy championships" (whatever that means...players get paid whether they win or lose). Steinbrenner's best team with the 98 Yankees, and their payroll was not as inflated as it is now, and their players were not the biggest marketing notables in sports. Yeah, they had Jeter, but that's a young Jeter who developed through their team, not signed as an FA.

Paul O'Neill, Joe Girardi, Scott Brosious, Mariano Rivera, Luis Sojo, Tino Martinez, Bernie Williams, et al...these guys may not have all been Yankees from the start, but they are nowhere near the level of Alex Rodriguez, Randy Johnson, Jason Giambi, Johnny Damon, et al.

And there is NO way you can pull Yankees/Red Sox like power moves in the NFL. The system set up by Pete Rozelle (Dan Rooney had a part too) foresaw such issues and made a league where developing talent is paramount. This says nothing of the fact football is way more of a chemistry game than baseball. You can't go out and add a bunch of free agents in the offseason and expect them to gel together. I've said this a billion times, but look at the players from the Steelers' 2002 draft: El, Hope, Simmons, Foote...all starters, all developed together, all Super Bowl champions. Yes, FA has a place in football, but the vast majority of championship teams are going to be led by guys the team developed at its core.

WWIIOwheelz
07-13-2006, 02:00 PM
I was a Redskins fan for life until I moved to Pittsburgh 12 years ago, and I'm still a big fan of Joe Gibbs. He made that program pretty strong last season, and they will be better this year. I think Carolina is a better team, but I expect to see the Skins in the playoffs this year, and who knows.... they might be a good NFC team.