PDA

View Full Version : Ben want's Fichtner as OC

Bayz101
01-30-2012, 06:37 PM
http://sportspyder.com/teams/pittsburgh-steelers/articles/5729249

Take what the reporter said lightly, but I wouldn't be surprised is Ben actually said he wanted Randy as the new OC.

stb_steeler
01-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Link didnt work

Bayz101
01-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Link didnt work

My bad, it should be fine now.

tony hipchest
01-30-2012, 06:55 PM
the big oaf doesnt want tto learn the words for a bunch of new plays. he likes the same plays we've had (some since the 70's) that everybody (including opponents) has memorized.

Bayz101
01-30-2012, 06:58 PM
the big oaf doesnt want tto learn the words for a bunch of new plays. he likes the same plays we've had (some since the 70's) that everybody (including opponents) has memorized.

Well the shit head has a 100 million dollar contract, he should be fine :chuckle:

stb_steeler
01-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Yeah its kind of hard to tell if thats what Ben said or not. Maybe Ben wants Fitch to stay because he knows the system. Bringing in an outside OC may change to many things for Ben and he wont like it. But a change can be good!

tony hipchest
01-30-2012, 07:07 PM
its pretty simple. its either throw the ball, run with the ball or hand off the ball. whats not to like? it isnt rocket science (atleast thats what arians taught us all).

MACH1
01-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Yeah its kind of hard to tell if thats what Ben said or not. Maybe Ben wants Fitch to stay because he knows the system. Bringing in an outside OC may change to many things for Ben and he wont like it. But a change can be good!

And sticking with the same old, same old will be good? IMO it'd be best to get an outside guy who's willing to rein Ben in when he needs it.

wyn50
01-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Steelers just have to get out of the offensive rut. Arians was used plays that did not work so often. They just need a change. Hopefully its not the same ole if Fichtner gets the job.

pittpete
01-30-2012, 07:41 PM
it isnt rocket science (atleast thats what arians taught us all).

No, but according to Arianus pretty close to it:chuckle:

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq150/pittpete/EinstienBA.jpg

TRH
01-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Fichtner isn't going to run the exact same playbook and calls as Arians did. I hope he gets the job, he'll do an excellent job and i like what he's been involved with in the past.

Bayz101
01-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Fichtner isn't going to run the exact same playbook and calls as Arians did. I hope he gets the job, he'll do an excellent job and i like what he's been involved with in the past.

It wasn't the calls as much as it was when they we're dialed up. Fich will do fine if he's hired, and I almost hope he is.

Rick5895
01-31-2012, 06:18 AM
I know BB is the franchise QB, but he wanted Arians to stay in the past and got his wish, maybe it was because Brucey gave Ben too much leeway . I am sure Fichtner would do a decent job, but is an extention of the Arians offense what the Steelers really want.
As far as I am concerned the Steelers should be making a strong run at Clements and if he's unavailable then they should seriously consider Todd Haley.

DanRooney
01-31-2012, 06:26 AM
Please hire outside. Clements, Haley, etc. I'd even rather have Caldwell than Fitchtner.

ricardisimo
01-31-2012, 06:57 AM
I'd still like for us to interview Hue. Is he out of the picture? I heard someone was courting him, maybe Fisher in St. Louis or something? Why not interview him? I love what he did (for a while at least) with McFadden.

rgj
01-31-2012, 10:36 AM
Is Sam Wyche still available?

BKAnthem
01-31-2012, 10:56 AM

Fitch has been here Ben's whole tenure...and yet when his suspension was over he credits another QB coach for "fixing his mechanics", something he has never said about Fitch...that tells me all i need to know....and then there's Dennis Dixon...

FanSince72
01-31-2012, 11:18 AM
http://www.sycaonline.org/images/footballfordummies.jpg

ricardisimo
02-01-2012, 10:09 AM
Fitch has been here Ben's whole tenure...and yet when his suspension was over he credits another QB coach for "fixing his mechanics", something he has never said about Fitch...that tells me all i need to know....and then there's Dennis Dixon...
Yup. I'm really hoping they look elsewhere. No one has yet answered my question as to why Scottie Montgomery is not even mentioned in the discussion.

BKAnthem
02-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Yup. I'm really hoping they look elsewhere. No one has yet answered my question as to why Scottie Montgomery is not even mentioned in the discussion.

I agree if Fitch can get a look...why not Scottie? Unless they feel he's not a strong enough personality to deal with Ben

OX1947
02-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Big Ben needs to shut his hole and be a franchise QB and let the front office and coaches decide who they want to bring in. He is paid 102 million to win games, not dictate who he wants to coach him who will be "his buddy". Learn how to protect yourself AND continue to improve. That is what the great ones do. They adjust and they get better.

TRH
02-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Some of you f-ing people kill me.

Ben's barely mentioned anything about everything, just made a couple bare-bones conversation mentions (probably less than even any other QB in the league would say) and its being super-duper-over-analyzed. Sheez......

Bayz101
02-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Some of you f-ing people kill me.

Ben's barely mentioned anything about everything, just made a couple bare-bones conversation mentions (probably less than even any other QB in the league would say) and its being super-duper-over-analyzed. Sheez......

Exactly.

BengalDestroyer
02-01-2012, 07:21 PM

exactly a change could, and should be good IMO. I think that is exactly what this offense needs... about 98-99% of us wanted Arians out, why? because we've had enough of bubble screen and retarded run plays all at a predictable time...everytime we played. So YES, I think a change would be awesome, Fitch- stick with the QB coaching and please bring someone else in. (hopefully Haley)....

FanSince72
02-01-2012, 10:23 PM
exactly a change could, and should be good IMO. I think that is exactly what this offense needs... about 98-99% of us wanted Arians out, why? because we've had enough of bubble screen and retarded run plays all at a predictable time...everytime we played. So YES, I think a change would be awesome, Fitch- stick with the QB coaching and please bring someone else in. (hopefully Haley)....

It would also be nice if Ben didn't wait until the play clock gets to "1" all the time before taking the snap.

Bayz101
02-01-2012, 10:25 PM
It would also be nice if Ben didn't wait until the play clock gets to "1" all the time before taking the snap.

Yeah, it's part of his "Hurry Up" offense. The no huddle situation takes longer than the actual huddle would.

FanSince72
02-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Yeah, it's part of his "Hurry Up" offense. The no huddle situation takes longer than the actual huddle would.

Just another bad habit that needs to be fixed.

Bayz101
02-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Just another bad habit that needs to be fixed.

And hopefully it's addressed with the new Coordinator. I'd like to see an offense next year that doesn't look like a deer in headlights half the time. That's how it looked a majority of last year. Oddly enough, we played really well when running the no-huddle, regardless of how slow it developed. This is likely because Arians wasn't behind much of the play-calling in those situations, as Ben would frequently make adjustments (thus the long play time development).

FanSince72
02-02-2012, 10:24 AM
And hopefully it's addressed with the new Coordinator. I'd like to see an offense next year that doesn't look like a deer in headlights half the time. That's how it looked a majority of last year. Oddly enough, we played really well when running the no-huddle, regardless of how slow it developed. This is likely because Arians wasn't behind much of the play-calling in those situations, as Ben would frequently make adjustments (thus the long play time development).

I think you're right.

It DID seem as if Ben was too wrapped up in second-guessing himself and "making sure" and it didn't seem as if he was very confident in his decisions.

That's a little weird since he seems to have been fine with the huury-up in the past -- sometimes brilliant, in fact. You know, there IS such a thing as having too much information and maybe that was the deal with Arians; maybe he put too much thought into things and gave Ben too much to think about.

Sometimes less-is-more.

Atlanta Dan
02-02-2012, 02:03 PM
This from Gerry Dulac of the P-G

Ben's opinion doesn't matter

I hope everyone is paying attention to how much input Ben Roethlisberger DOESN’T have in hiring an offensive coordinator. Nor will he.

While Roethlisberger spent last week at the Pro Bowl in Hawaii, Mike Tomlin interviewed two candidates for the position – former Colts Coach Jim Caldwell and former Chiefs Coach Todd Haley, an Upper St. Clair native and the son of the Steelers’ former personnel director.

This week, while the search continues, Roethlisberger is still in Hawaii, where he elected to stay after the Pro Bowl.

Anyone who knows Tomlin knows he never has and never will have any inclination to let a player – even Roethlisberger – have input into one of his hires.

Tomlin is not interested in what his players think about matters that involve him and his staff.

Once, when Tomlin was asked by a reporter about the good things his players were saying about him, he snapped back, “They’re not paid to evaluate me. I’m paid to evaluate them.”

No matter what Roethlisberger says, his opinion will not be sought in the hiring of an offensive coordinator.

That should be apparent after what happened to Bruce Arians.:chuckle:

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114686-gerry-bens-opinion-doesnt-matter

FanSince72
02-02-2012, 03:04 PM
This from Gerry Dulac of the P-G

Ben's opinion doesn't matter

I hope everyone is paying attention to how much input Ben Roethlisberger DOESN’T have in hiring an offensive coordinator. Nor will he.

While Roethlisberger spent last week at the Pro Bowl in Hawaii, Mike Tomlin interviewed two candidates for the position – former Colts Coach Jim Caldwell and former Chiefs Coach Todd Haley, an Upper St. Clair native and the son of the Steelers’ former personnel director.

This week, while the search continues, Roethlisberger is still in Hawaii, where he elected to stay after the Pro Bowl.

Anyone who knows Tomlin knows he never has and never will have any inclination to let a player – even Roethlisberger – have input into one of his hires.

Tomlin is not interested in what his players think about matters that involve him and his staff.

Once, when Tomlin was asked by a reporter about the good things his players were saying about him, he snapped back, “They’re not paid to evaluate me. I’m paid to evaluate them.”

No matter what Roethlisberger says, his opinion will not be sought in the hiring of an offensive coordinator.

That should be apparent after what happened to Bruce Arians.:chuckle:

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114686-gerry-bens-opinion-doesnt-matter

Maybe that's true, but to ignore Ben's opinion wouldn't be so smart either.

There's nothing wrong with listening to someone's concerns and noting their likes and dislikes.
That, as much as anything else, should simply be part of the decision-making process.

TRH
02-02-2012, 03:25 PM
it's looking more and more like Haley won't be coming here...