PDA

View Full Version : Keith Butler Giving Steelers A Chance. Time to Tell LeBeau to Retire

pete74
01-30-2012, 07:41 PM
The Post Gazette is reporting that the position for Butler to Colts is “not a done deal.” If that is the case the Steelers need to tell Dick LeBeau to retire immediately. I love Dick LeBeau but he is not going to be around for the next 10 years, Butler will be.

If Butler has not accepted this job yet the Steelers need to promote him to the job he wants to get him to stay. Butler is the best young up and coming 3-4 Defensive Coordinator to be in the NFL. He has learned under the best and is the best linebackers coach in the league. He is deserving of this spot and I would not be mad at him for leaving. He has waited his turn for more then long enough. To lose him because you can not tell LeBeau it is time to retire is just moronic.

Losing Keith Butler pushes this defense backwards years. There is no one on this staff or the NFL that can fill in for LeBeau once he does retire. The Steelers need to make this happen. You have until he goes on his final interview on Tuesday to get this done. Do not let him leave

stb_steeler
01-30-2012, 07:48 PM
Wow thats gonna be a tough call on the part of the Rooney's. Kinda makes ya wonder all the DL talk last year about retiring. I have a feelin something didnt go their way and now its backfiring. :noidea:

6RingsAndCounting
01-30-2012, 07:55 PM
I honestly don't know what I'd do. If Lebeau can go another 5 years, keep him around, if not, he has to go.

pete74
01-30-2012, 07:57 PM
I honestly don't know what I'd do. If Lebeau can go another 5 years, keep him around, if not, he has to go.

i agree. i would hate to lose Butler then Dick retire after this coming season. if he says he will definatly coach for another 5 years though i would keep him

tony hipchest
01-30-2012, 07:59 PM
if butler is learning from the best, shouldnt we just keep the best? Maybe carnell lake will be ready to take over as DC in a year or 2 and we bring woodson in to coach the secondary. :hunch:

we can always give butler the title of ass HC and a bump in pay or just bring him back when the colts clean house in 3 years.

6RingsAndCounting
01-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Butler to Stay
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12030/1207042-100.stm

Linebackers coach Keith Butler has decided against interviewing for the defensive coordinator position with the Indianapolis Colts and will remain with the Steelers, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

Butler was scheduled to interview with new Colts Coach Chuck Pagano on Tuesday in Indianapolis, but he changed his mind after meeting today with team president Art Rooney II and Coach Mike Tomlin.

Butler was told after the 2009 season he will be the team's defensive coordinator when Dick LeBeau retires -- a handshake agreement that was made when he turned down the Miami Dolphins offer to become their defensive coordinator.

It is not known what was said at today's meeting, but Butler was likely given a stronger indication -- not to mention a hefty new contract -- about when he might replace LeBeau, who is 74.

lipps83
01-30-2012, 08:06 PM
if butler is learning from the best, shouldnt we just keep the best? Maybe carnell lake will be ready to take over as DC in a year or 2 and we bring woodson in to coach the secondary. :hunch:

we can always give butler the title of ass HC and a bump in pay or just bring him back when the colts clean house in 3 years.

Hopefully they do that bump in pay and assistant coach.

(edited to add).....Well, looks like they did it.

Atlanta Dan
01-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Butler to Stay
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12030/1207042-100.stm

Linebackers coach Keith Butler has decided against interviewing for the defensive coordinator position with the Indianapolis Colts and will remain with the Steelers, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

Butler was scheduled to interview with new Colts Coach Chuck Pagano on Tuesday in Indianapolis, but he changed his mind after meeting today with team president Art Rooney II and Coach Mike Tomlin.

Butler was told after the 2009 season he will be the team's defensive coordinator when Dick LeBeau retires -- a handshake agreement that was made when he turned down the Miami Dolphins offer to become their defensive coordinator.

It is not known what was said at today's meeting, but Butler was likely given a stronger indication -- not to mention a hefty new contract -- about when he might replace LeBeau, who is 74.

Mods - please delete my new thread on this - 6 Rings beat me to the post

Great news

:drink:

Bayz101
01-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Actually, he's staying:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=85827

6RingsAndCounting
01-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Mods - please delete my new thread on this - 6 Rings beat me to the post

Great news

:drink:

It's all good! I didn't know whether to start a thread on it or not :drink:

Fire Arians
01-30-2012, 08:59 PM

there's nobody who knows our defense inside and out like butler does right now, and DL is not a lock to work for the next 5 years even if he says he will be. age is a mother****er.

besides butler is a younger coach who can also add fresh new ideas for the defense. he is ready and I think he will even be better than lebeau is right now. coaches lose their edge with age, and althout lebeau is one of the all-time greats, I think he's not the top DC he used to be. He's still good, but some games really make me scratch my head, like that denver debacle

me personally, i think he should have retired years ago. Once a coach has retirement in the back of their mind and needs to 'think about coming back or retiring the next season', they need to hang it up. When you're at that point, you no longer have that competitive fire that made you great. that's not a knock on lebeau, that's just life. happened to the best of em, even Noll.

Atlanta Dan
01-30-2012, 09:07 PM
me personally, i think he should have retired years ago. Once a coach has retirement in the back of their mind and needs to 'think about coming back or retiring the next season', they need to hang it up. When you're at that point, you no longer have that competitive fire that made you great. that's not a knock on lebeau, that's just life. happened to the best of em, even Noll.

Maybe like lots of folks in professions where you devote so much time to work LeBeau does not know WTF he would do without football?

That certainly was what was driving Joe Paterno to hang on - even before the Sandusky catastrophe Joe Pa, rest his soul, had hung around at least 10 years too long

Bayz101
01-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Look at Farve, he retired six times lmao

stb_steeler
01-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Maybe like lots of folks in professions where you devote so much time to work LeBeau does not know WTF he would do without football?

That certainly was what was driving Joe Paterno to hang on - even before the Sandusky catastrophe Joe Pa, rest his soul, had hung around at least 10 years too long

but there will never be another JoePa...:wink02:

LayingTheWoodley56
01-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Lebeau just produced another #1 defense, even if it was somewhat cheapened by our weak schedule and the egg in Denver. He shouldn't be pushed out the door after that, but it looks clear to me that Butler will take the reins within the next year or two. Maybe one year learning directly from Dick before he takes over. He wouldn't have turned down the Colts job if he thought he was going to have to wait for five years.

madtowndrunkard
01-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Lebeau just produced another #1 defense, even if it was somewhat cheapened by our weak schedule and the egg in Denver. He shouldn't be pushed out the door after that, but it looks clear to me that Butler will take the reins within the next year or two. Maybe one year learning directly from Dick before he takes over. He wouldn't have turned down the Colts job if he thought he was going to have to wait for five years.

You absolutely cannot push DL out the door. He's done nothing to deserve that. He's still out coaching almost every other defense in the league.

I expect this is more of a financial thing. Butler wants to stay in Pittsburgh because it's his home. If he was cool with leaving pittsburgh and was really wanting to be a DC or even a HC...he would have left a while ago.

I suspect Mr. Butler is our new assistant head coach, much like Russ Grimm was while Cowher was still here. Give him raise, tell him he'll be the next DC if DL leaves..if not he still gets the $ he wants.

steeltheone
01-31-2012, 06:24 AM
there's nobody who knows our defense inside and out like butler does right now, and DL is not a lock to work for the next 5 years even if he says he will be. age is a mother****er.

besides butler is a younger coach who can also add fresh new ideas for the defense. he is ready and I think he will even be better than lebeau is right now. coaches lose their edge with age, and althout lebeau is one of the all-time greats, I think he's not the top DC he used to be. He's still good, but some games really make me scratch my head, like that denver debacle

me personally, i think he should have retired years ago. Once a coach has retirement in the back of their mind and needs to 'think about coming back or retiring the next season', they need to hang it up. When you're at that point, you no longer have that competitive fire that made you great. that's not a knock on lebeau, that's just life. happened to the best of em, even Noll. Well Butler is almost 60 so not really a young coach. All his NFL experience is under DL so more than likely thats the type of defense he will run when he gets his chance. ( not a bad thing)
I'm just not sure looking at his resume what part of it jumps out as super coach ?

I guess they figure he has done well with the linebackers and will be a smooth transition from DL.

Ricco Suavez
01-31-2012, 06:43 AM
Honestly I think I would sit them both down or at least LeBeau first and find out what his thoughts are on when he sees his self stepping down. I would even consider making Butler the DC and keeping LeBeau in some other capacity to continue mentoring for another year, with the stipulation that Butler is in charge.

Bayz101
01-31-2012, 06:58 AM
Well based on the news of Butler returning, it seems he was told want he wanted to hear. He's probably sporting a glorified tag and a hefty paycheck. He'll likely be Defensive Coordinator following next season. I think this is Dick's last season as the DC.

ricardisimo
01-31-2012, 08:03 AM
Well based on the news of Butler returning, it seems he was told want he wanted to hear. He's probably sporting a glorified tag and a hefty paycheck. He'll likely be Defensive Coordinator following next season. I think this is Dick's last season as the DC.
I'm not so sure. Considering the speed with which his contract was renewed this year - basically within seconds of the Denver game - it seemed to me like the job is his not quite for as long as he wants it, but close.

tunes4life
01-31-2012, 10:20 AM
I think this is Dick's last season as the DC.

I agree. I think that Butler will work closer with DL this year and then DL retires after next season. He'll be 75 I think. Time to sip some margaritas on a beach somewhere. :hatsoff: