PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers: Who Should Be Their Top Free Agent or Draft Day Target?

pete74
01-30-2012, 07:46 PM
After an abrupt and disappointing end to the 2011 NFL season, the Pittsburgh Steelers are now thinking offseason. There are more than a few concerns throughout Steeler Nation. The biggest concerns of the Pittsburgh Steelers are across the offensive line, secondary, and age! Thirty-year olds are more common than not on this Steelers defense who were so feared just a couple of years ago. Let's see who they could draft or find in free agency to make this a great offseason for the Steelers:

2012 NFL Draft

In the first round the Steelers should go youth on defense. Mark Barron, the safety out of Alabama, may be off the board but could help out the secondary tremendously with Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu seemingly always injured or thinking they are still younger and faster than everyone else. Dont'a Hightower could be another great option in the first round, he seems to be NFL-ready. The Steelers could clear up some cap space by releasing one of their "older" interior linebackers to make room for Hightower on the field.

In the later rounds of the Draft look for the Steelers to go for CB, OL, DL or RB. Some valuable options at these positions are Alameda Ta'amu, a nose tackle out of Washington, who could eventually replace a rapdily-aging Casey Hampton. Brandon Boykin, a CB out of Georgia. Tony Bergstorm, OT out of Utah. Jamell Flemming, CB out of Oklahoma. Ronnie Hillman, RB out of San Diego State. Would all be solid selections for Pittsburgh this April.

2012 Free Agency

The biggest need for the Pittsburgh Steelers going into the offseason is one of the most important positions on the field, left tackle. The Steelers need to keep Big Ben healthy and should focus on this more than anything. Max Starks will likely part ways with the Steelers after a rough season where he was cut then re-signed.
Demetrius Bell is an option. Bell is currently with the Buffalo Bills but may very well be a free agent. He can keep Ben off the IR and the Steelers should focus their efforts on acquiring him.

A sure way to get younger on defense and tighten up the secondary would be to go after CB Brandon Carr from the Chiefs. He has been great at times but below average at times as well. With the guidance of Dick LeBeau, Brandon Carr could very well turn into a star on the Steelers' defense.

The Steelers have some work to do this offseason clearing cap, drafting, releasing, and signing free agents. The organization is one of the finest in the league and the Steeler nation should not lose any sleep over the team's problems. They always find a way to compete and pull out the best in each of their players. Look for these Pittsburgh Steelers to still be at the top in 2012.

6RingsAndCounting
01-30-2012, 08:31 PM
I still want Burfict in the draft. I think that the line position can be filled easier in FA and rounds 2-7

pittpete
01-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Pretty sure Gilbert is going to LT and Colon will be starting RT

Bayz101
01-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Hopefully we'll pick up a good MLB and some Defensive lineman in the early rounds, maybe some lineman in the FA period. I think we'll pick up a little bit of everything in the draft, the Free Agency period will likely be less important. We never really make big splashes, more than likely we'll pick up some Practice Squad and future's contract's.

Fire Arians
01-30-2012, 09:04 PM
I still want Burfict in the draft. I think that the line position can be filled easier in FA and rounds 2-7

i don't know man, he shit the bed in his senior season, and his attitude problem reminds me of bryan cox, but even worse

VTsteel
01-30-2012, 10:45 PM
In free agency:

G Carl Nicks (NO)

or

G Ben Grubbs (Balt)

This would go a long way to bringing back our power running game (you know the one that has been missing since Fanaca defected to New York)

madtowndrunkard
01-30-2012, 11:21 PM
I'd rather see us pick up a nose tackle in free agency. In the 3-4 there is a specific type of player that can play NT. Those kind of players are usually not all that expensive in FA. (because they don't sack the QB) So I'm thinking it would be relatively easy to find a good NT who is also cheaper then Hampton.

With the 24th pick we should have no problem finding a great OG. Then with our 2nd round pick - take an ILB.

Fire Arians
01-30-2012, 11:44 PM
With the 24th pick we should have no problem finding a great OG. Then with our 2nd round pick - take an ILB.

I'd take hightower in rd. 1 if he's still there. instead of BPA, we'll prolly select the BPA of the G, ILB, and NT positions. certainly someone in any of those positions would be a good pick without reaching.

I don't think we're going to be in the FA market because of the cap situation though.

pete74
01-31-2012, 04:14 AM
i don't know man, he shit the bed in his senior season, and his attitude problem reminds me of bryan cox, but even worse

i agree, i would take him no early then round 2

Bayz101
01-31-2012, 04:32 AM

Yeah, he certainly seems like a bad egg. Hightower looks like the better of the two to me. Although, I think we're getting Mark Barron or a lineman.

Bayz101
01-31-2012, 04:43 AM
If the Chargers don't take Barron in round one, we'll get him. If not:

Round 1. Dont'a Hightower LB
Round 2. Alameda Ta'amu NT

Rick5895
01-31-2012, 06:20 AM
I believe we have immediate needs at NT and OG. Although Hightower available at that pick might be too tempting to pass on.

Bayz101
01-31-2012, 06:23 AM
I believe we have immediate needs at NT and OG. Although Hightower available at that pick might be too tempting to pass on.

I agree 100%. And with our tendency to go for the BPA, it'll be interesting to see who we go for.

ricardisimo
01-31-2012, 07:52 AM
Honestly, I would be pleased if we drafted two guards in the first two rounds (especially if someone like that Osemele kid dropped in the second), and then pretty much not even think about the line for several years.

Colbert has never drafted defense in consecutive years (with regards to the 1st round, that is). I don't think that's random. I really don't think the league's #1 D is going to take an ILB or NT this year (nor a safety, Bayz). I think the league's #21 scoring offense is going to take O-linemen early and often.

Bayz101
01-31-2012, 08:15 AM
Honestly, I would be pleased if we drafted two guards in the first two rounds (especially if someone like that Osemele kid dropped in the second), and then pretty much not even think about the line for several years.

Colbert has never drafted defense in consecutive years (with regards to the 1st round, that is). I don't think that's random. I really don't think the league's #1 D is going to take an ILB or NT this year (nor a safety, Bayz). I think the league's #21 scoring offense is going to take O-linemen early and often.

I let my hopes get the better of me. We're probably going to be improving the line, as you said, and we'll address it often throughout the draft. But damn, have you seen Barron???

Troy part two :chuckle:

MDSteel15
01-31-2012, 09:10 AM
Anyone have any contacts? Maybe we can pull a "Dan Marino" hoax and put the word out that Burfict got in some more trouble and catch him our 2nd rd pick!!! Then sign a LG/LT to help Ben stay upright a little longer, draft Alameda Ta'amu in the 1st, then trade for an early 2nd rounder to get Nate Potter, then get Burfict! :noidea:

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-31-2012, 11:30 AM
2012 NFL Draft

In the first round the Steelers should go youth on defense. Mark Barron, the safety out of Alabama. Dont'a Hightower could be another great option in the first round, he seems to be NFL-ready. The Steelers could clear up some cap space by releasing one of their "older" interior linebackers to make room for Hightower on the field.

In the later rounds of the Draft look for the Steelers to go for CB, OL, DL or RB. Some valuable options at these positions are Alameda Ta'amu, Brandon Boykin, a CB out of Georgia. Tony Bergstorm, OT out of Utah. Jamell Flemming, CB out of Oklahoma. Ronnie Hillman, RB out of San Diego State. Would all be solid selections for Pittsburgh this April.

2012 Free Agency

The biggest need for the Pittsburgh Steelers going into the offseason is one of the most important positions on the field, left tackle.Demetrius Bell is an option. Bell is currently with the Buffalo Bills but may very well be a free agent.

A sure way to get younger on defense and tighten up the secondary would be to go after CB Brandon Carr from the Chiefs. He has been great at times but below average at times as well.

The Steelers have some work to do this offseason clearing cap, drafting, releasing, and signing free agents. The organization is one of the finest in the league and the Steeler nation should not lose any sleep over the team's problems. They always find a way to compete and pull out the best in each of their players. Look for these Pittsburgh Steelers to still be at the top in 2012.

I like Mark Barron a lot, but I still don't think that our first pick this season should be used on a SS who be limited to playing time just because Tomlin usually does not play rookies as much. Our first pick should be used on a NT or OL because those are the two positions on the team right now where a rookie could start right away and make an impact. But I definitely would not complain with us taking Barron with the first pick. Ta'Amu in the second round would be a great pick because lately he has been slipping down draft boards, but with a great Senior Bowl he rocketed himself back up in the 2nd RD. He can compete right away for the starting NT job because I do think that Hampton's days in Pitt are over and that they may sign a cheap veteran NT because they desperately need one. Boykin would also be a great pick because he is so dynamic, not only is he an above average cover CB, but he is a great return man and he will just add depth the return position, he also can play a little WR too. I do not know much on Bergstrom but he is an OT and we need that position anyway. Jamell Fleming is sky rocketing up draft boards and he may not even be available in any of the rounds we would want to take him. He had a great year at OU and may go in the 2nd RD. I do not think they will even look to draft a RB just because Mendenhall looks to miss just a couple weeks of the season and seeing how Redman did in the 3 games he started they really like him and want him to be the temp. starter. We also have Batch and he was easily going to get carriers before he tore his ACL. Dwyer and Clay will fight for the last spot and after that we should be set with RB's.

D. Bell will not hit FA, Buffalo has already said they want to keep him at LT. And there is no way Rooney will give Carr the money he is deserved. Carr has had a great career so far and he is one of the best cover CB in the game right now. I really think the only action we will see from FA is signing veterans to min. contracts just to fill the depth chart. We have a great team already we just need to get more depth and a better DL/OL

fujirama24
01-31-2012, 12:37 PM
You guys can forget about free agents this year it aint going to happen. I have us cutting Hampton, Kemo, Foote, A. Smith, B. Mcfadden, and will allen and restructuring hines and guranteeing woodley and timmons roster bonuses and we are only 1 mil under the cap and we still have to sign are free agents and draft picks. When rooney said we had to make some tough choices he isn't kidding. I think other players that might be cut or restructured are J.Scott, A. Battle, J. Farrior. And that would only save us about another 6 mil.

Rick5895
01-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Anyone have any contacts? Maybe we can pull a "Dan Marino" hoax and put the word out that Burfict got in some more trouble and catch him our 2nd rd pick!!! Then sign a LG/LT to help Ben stay upright a little longer, draft Alameda Ta'amu in the 1st, then trade for an early 2nd rounder to get Nate Potter, then get Burfict! :noidea:

Burfict is said to be difficult to coach, who knows. I was on a draft site (walter camp ithink)today that had us taking Hightower in round 1 and Ta'amu in the 2nd.

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-31-2012, 02:10 PM
You guys can forget about free agents this year it aint going to happen. I have us cutting Hampton, Kemo, Foote, A. Smith, B. Mcfadden, and will allen and restructuring hines and guranteeing woodley and timmons roster bonuses and we are only 1 mil under the cap and we still have to sign are free agents and draft picks. When rooney said we had to make some tough choices he isn't kidding. I think other players that might be cut or restructured are J.Scott, A. Battle, J. Farrior. And that would only save us about another 6 mil.

I definitely see all of those players getting cut, which would make our team better anyway. The loss of Foote would be the only significant one, but not having those other players on our team just makes us a better team. I also see us releasing A. Battle, but Tomlin already has said that he likes J. Scott's effort and his versatility, he sucks terribly, but I get why he would want to keep him. James Farrior really wants to be back next season and I really think he will take a significant pay cut as well.

This team will look very different next season, but I really think this team will be able to compete for the SB. Our team will much healthier and much younger as well.

Curtain_of_Steel
01-31-2012, 03:25 PM
If Gilbert is going to the blind side, than Ben is toast. The dude couldnt block much on the right side this year. If this is the plan, the Steelers will not sign anyone at all.

Another year of Kemo, Legursky, Colon and Gilbert? Yikes!!! Run Ben, Run

We all know we need a better Oline, but we all know, we will not imporve this line, till maybe 2nd or 3rd rd at best.

BengalDestroyer
01-31-2012, 03:35 PM

YES, can't agree more. Burfict is nasty, love this kid, I really really hope we get him as well....

BengalDestroyer
01-31-2012, 03:36 PM
If Gilbert is going to the blind side, than Ben is toast. The dude couldnt block much on the right side this year. If this is the plan, the Steelers will not sign anyone at all.

Another year of Kemo, Legursky, Colon and Gilbert? Yikes!!! Run Ben, Run

We all know we need a better Oline, but we all know, we will not imporve this line, till maybe 2nd or 3rd rd at best.

I haven't put the blame on the players only... I don't Kugler is that good... at all...

MDSteel15
01-31-2012, 04:56 PM
Burfict is said to be difficult to coach, who knows. I was on a draft site (walter camp ithink)today that had us taking Hightower in round 1 and Ta'amu in the 2nd.

Ta'amu has impressed so much he may not make it that far in the second!