PDA

View Full Version : Butler to stick with Steelers

Atlanta Dan
01-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Duplicate post to be deleted

Linebackers coach Keith Butler has decided against interviewing for the defensive coordinator position with the Indianapolis Colts and will remain with the Steelers, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

Butler was scheduled to interview with new Colts Coach Chuck Pagano on Tuesday in Indianapolis, but he changed his mind after meeting today with team president Art Rooney II and Coach Mike Tomlin.

Butler was told after the 2009 season he will be the team's defensive coordinator when Dick LeBeau retires -- a handshake agreement that was made when he turned down the Miami Dolphins offer to become their defensive coordinator.

It is not known what was said at today's meeting, but Butler was likely given a stronger indication -- not to mention a hefty new contract -- about when he might replace LeBeau, who is 74.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12030/1207042-100.stm

wyn50
01-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Looks like DL will retire soon from the sound of things.

ItalianSteelersFan178443
01-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Good thing he returned, he is a big reason why Woodley and Harrison have been great and he will easily be our next DC once the great LeBeau leaves, so real good news that Butler is staying. Now they need to look to get an actual OC

55BaileyFan
01-30-2012, 08:41 PM
http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/2012/01/sticking-around.html

They would have been fine it he had left...but I am glad he is sticking around.

StainlessStill
01-30-2012, 08:46 PM
GREAT news in my opinion! We would have been fine, but I think Butler is our greatest replacement after LeBeau. Great sign of things to come, I love this news.:tt04:

Bayz101
01-30-2012, 08:48 PM
I hope he got a large contract.

Fire Arians
01-30-2012, 08:51 PM
awesome news. i was pissed when i thought we lost butler

Bayz101
01-30-2012, 08:54 PM
awesome news. i was pissed when i thought we lost butler

Yeah, I was pretty upset too.

Solak
01-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Great news!

LayingTheWoodley56
01-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Great news, and exactly in keeping with the tradition in our organization. The Steelers have always been all about continuity and handing the reins directly to Butler, a coach whose been in our system for years, will make the post-Lebeau transition seamless. Clearly, the great DL will not be on the sidelines much longer, which makes sense - he's not going to coach when he's 80.

TRH
01-30-2012, 10:57 PM
It looks like he probably got an EXACT answer on both whether he'll get the DC here and exactly when....likely no question about that. My outside guess is that one year from now....he'll get it...and thats what was told to him today.

Kingmagyar
01-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Keith Butler's 2 Possible Futures that lay ahead for him.

1) Join the Colts and be fired in 3 years when Pagano and his entire staff are let go

or

2) Stay and be patient with the Steelers and be coaching into your 70's like Dick Lebeau.

steelfury02
01-31-2012, 10:39 AM
anytime a team puts together a staff filled with the trending names it is never a good sign

Not only that - why would you ever want to go back to a Butch Davis like scenario - a flash in the pan that eventually led to termination

stability, stability, stability

California-Steel
01-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I was pretty upset too.Your sig image says it all. :tt02:

LVSteelersfan
01-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Great news. I was kind of surprised Lebeau did not hang it up this year. Perhaps he wants to go until he is 75. Might be a goal of his.

BengalDestroyer
01-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Looks like DL will retire soon from the sound of things.

Can't remember where but I heard that this would be his last year anyway...

I'm very happy that Keith Butler decided to stay on board. Says a lot about our organization...(even if they gave some more dough) I believe he's the kind of guy that thinks who you work for and with really means a lot...

GMU Steeler
01-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Good to hear. Really interesting that Pagano wanted to make his top two lieutenants in Indy coaches from his former club's rival.

PhantomJB93
01-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Fairly certain a promise was made that LeBeau would either retire within the next 2 or 3 years or the next time we win a SB, whichever comes first.

SteelCity'33
02-01-2012, 09:05 AM
This just goes to show what kind of franchise the Steelers organization is especially in today's NFL. Glad to see Butler sticking around...got to wonder if the 4-3 is coming back though in steel town.

SteelMusic
02-01-2012, 11:56 AM
I love it.

I was trolling over at the Colts forum to "congratulate" them on acquiring Arians. A couple of the guys were giving me shit because they thought they were getting Butler. I told them thanks for taking Arians, and they were like, "...yeah but we are getting Butler too. Bet your not happy about that hahaha".

Well, now they are all butt hurt that Butler decided to stay...and I quote,"Too bad Keith Butler decided on staying with the Steelers. His loss. I guess he'd rather stay with an aging team rather than a upstarting team with a vision of greatness."

I love it!

Curtain_of_Steel
02-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Probably makes as much or dam close to a reg DC anyway. Less pressure too when you coach some of the best LB's in the game...Will step in when Dicks steps down.