PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin gathering info on Todd Haley

6RingsAndCounting
01-30-2012, 07:18 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora

@JasonLaCanfora
Mike Tomlin has been making calls gathering info on Todd Haley. Could emerge as OC candidate with Steelers #insideslant

tony hipchest
01-30-2012, 07:24 PM
he's just grasping at straws now (not to say haley shouldnt be vetted, but the cupboard is just about bare).

Bayz101
01-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Eff it, let's sign John Madden :chuckle:

Wonder if he's still sour over "that one game" :noidea:

We sure we're a thumbtack in that guy's foot :chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
01-30-2012, 07:28 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora

@JasonLaCanfora
Mike Tomlin has been making calls gathering info on Todd Haley. Could emerge as OC candidate with Steelers #insideslant

Maybe he is just trying to confirm what turned up when they ran his criminal record?

I guess after everyone who went from Pittsburgh to Arizona someone has to come back the other way

Given how much Ben said he loved playing under Coach Whiz I am sure he will be thrilled to have Whisenhunt's former OC (who also is allegedly an a**hole) as his new OC

Does not look like Tomlin had a plan in place for figuring out life after BA but that Rooney told him not to do a knee jerk hire from within

6RingsAndCounting
01-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Maybe he is just trying to confirm what turned up when they ran his criminal record?

I guess after everyone who went from Pittsburgh to Arizona someone has to come back the other way

Given how much Ben said he loved playing under Coach Whiz I am sure he will be thrilled to have Whisenhunt's former OC (who also is allegedly an a**hole) as his new OC

Does not look like Tomlin had a plan for figuring out life after BA

But maybe Ben needs an A** Hole?

tony hipchest
01-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Does not look like Tomlin had a plan in place for figuring out life after BA but that Rooney told him not to do a knee jerk hire from within

or the plan all along was kirby wilson. :noidea: remember when tomlin was hired he vowed to continue the steelers "smashmouth run game philosophy" which he shared.

Bayz101
01-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Who are we to say what Ben needs and doesn't need, lol.

We sound like weight watchers advisors. Don't eat this, don't eat that !

Fire Arians
01-30-2012, 08:06 PM
haley is a shitty head coach but he's actually been money as an OC.

He's proven he can make a championship offense with the right pieces, it'd be smart to at least interview the guy

Millers the sh!t
01-30-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about haley. I kind of like to give him a shot.

I like he's a dick. Maybe it'll help Ben smarten up and throw to the open man 8 yards down the field instead of being selfish and seeing if he can get the 25 yarder every play. (resulting in sacks, injuries to him and linemen)

Bayz101
01-30-2012, 08:17 PM

He's proven he can make a championship offense with the right pieces, it'd be smart to at least interview the guy

I'm sure Tomlin will be putting in some work this week and looking for that new OC. He's spent the last few weeks with his father on his mind i'm sure.

stb_steeler
01-30-2012, 08:22 PM

Lets just hope hes not a hothead here like he was with AZ

tony hipchest
01-30-2012, 08:35 PM
good point on tomlins father. nobody even knows if he took a few days off to attend a funeral.

Atlanta Dan
01-30-2012, 08:38 PM
good point on tomlins father. nobody even knows if he took a few days off to attend a funeral.

Definitely a tough time - his father passed the same week the Arians drama unfolded

Coach Tomlin will not look back on January 2012 fondly

madtowndrunkard
01-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Anyone who has a problem with Haley as our OC will never be happy with anyone we hire.

What legit reason does anyone have that Haley wouldn't be a better OC then Arians? So far all I've heard is he's a jerk. Really? How does anyone know this? Because he butted heads with a mediocre QB who didn't listen to him? Does anyone really know how this guy is behind the scenes? To me he looks like a guy who doesn't like to lose... so much so that he gets pretty fired up. I don't see that as a bad thing. I see that as the exact thing this team needs. We've got a HC who watches the game like a spectator and cheers on his players no matter what. We've got a DC who's more cerebral in his coaching then most. Ever since Bill Cowher left I thought we needed someone who gets fired up and demands that his players play to perfection. I want a coach who can be a little bit of a prick if we lose.

Im' willing to bet if Haley won as a HC he'd be loved and respected...much like Bill Cowher was. Problem was he took over a team that just doesn't have what it takes to win...from the front office down. With out our front office does anyone believe Mike Tomlin would be winning? Put MT in KC - do you think he wins more games then Haley? Haley is so much more of a coach then Arians it isn't even funny.

TRH
01-30-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about haley. I kind of like to give him a shot.

I like he's a dick. Maybe it'll help Ben smarten up and throw to the open man 8 yards down the field instead of being selfish and seeing if he can get the 25 yarder every play. (resulting in sacks, injuries to him and linemen)

Thats absolutely ridiculous, plain ludicrous. He's not selfish.
Our OC didn't design a spread offense and didn't utilize TE's into the mix, such as a NE or GB....therefore we rarely have guys open in the 7, 8 yard range the way guys like Brady, Brees, and Rogers do. Plus he's running for his life after the opposition's defenses are mowing down our crap OL like they're schoolgirls...
Please.

Millers the sh!t
01-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Thats absolutely ridiculous, plain ludicrous. He's not selfish.
Our OC didn't design a spread offense and didn't utilize TE's into the mix, such as a NE or GB....therefore we rarely have guys open in the 7, 8 yard range the way guys like Brady, Brees, and Rogers do. Plus he's running for his life after the opposition's defenses are mowing down our crap OL like they're schoolgirls...
Please.

BS.... I see it every game. Wide open miller right at the first down marker. Ben totally ignores him to go for the Big Play. Next thing u know it's punt time... Check super bowl 45 check the Broncos game... (broncos go up by ONE point and they go into homerun mode and start punting when there's open men 4-5 yards down the field) Bens selfish man.... He's always injured, getting slow and out of shape. Don't always blame Arians play calling or the oline cause Ben can audible out of plays. Bens lazy and pretty dumb too... Proves it all the time. On and off the field..That's why he don't want to learn a new system or hire OC's from out of the organization... Next season I'd say someone start the Ben meter instead of the gay meter. I hope Haley comes in and gets Ben to his full potential instead of this mediocrity we've been seeing lately.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is Bens last season with Pit.

PhantomJB93
01-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Haley is by far the best OC option out there for us right now. Problem is he's been an idiot (personality-wise, not football intelligence) as a HC but as an OC in this organization he'd be kept in check. Dude has run some elite offenses over the years, both through the air and on the ground.

Bayz101
01-31-2012, 01:04 AM
We're also inquiring on Alex Van Pelt at the moment, so lot's of options. I'd like Haley as the OC. Fichtner would be good as well.

tanda10506
01-31-2012, 03:07 AM
BS.... I see it every game. Wide open miller right at the first down marker. Ben totally ignores him to go for the Big Play. Next thing u know it's punt time... Check super bowl 45 check the Broncos game... (broncos go up by ONE point and they go into homerun mode and start punting when there's open men 4-5 yards down the field) Bens selfish man.... He's always injured, getting slow and out of shape. Don't always blame Arians play calling or the oline cause Ben can audible out of plays. Bens lazy and pretty dumb too... Proves it all the time. On and off the field..That's why he don't want to learn a new system or hire OC's from out of the organization... Next season I'd say someone start the Ben meter instead of the gay meter. I hope Haley comes in and gets Ben to his full potential instead of this mediocrity we've been seeing lately.

Troll alert:chuckle:

Bayz101
01-31-2012, 03:20 AM
Troll alert:chuckle:

Jesus Christ :jawdrop:

Ben's last season in Pitt???????????????????????

???????????????????????????????????????

Oh my gawd. This is going to be an interesting member, that's for sure...

Bayz101
01-31-2012, 03:22 AM

No. We'll make the Miller meter, just to piss you off :chuckle:

And Ben gone next year? Really???

Rick5895
01-31-2012, 05:59 AM
Haley may be just the best coach for the job of OC. A little bit of fire (ala Cowher) is not a bad thing. This team seemed to lack the fire and urgency needed to play football at times last season. Far too many slow starts. Haley also seems to hold folks accountable, might be nice to see that aswell and since he grew up around the Steelers when his Dad was here, he might just be a "natural " fit.

Bayz101
01-31-2012, 06:01 AM
Haley may be just the best coach for the job of OC. A little bit of fire (ala Cowher) is not a bad thing. This team seemed to lack the fire and urgency needed to play football at times last season. Far too many slow starts. Haley also seems to hold folks accountable, might be nice to see that aswell and since he grew up around the Steelers when his Dad was here, he might just be a "natural " fit.

If he's coming to Pittsburgh, it'll likely be as a Quarterback's coach. I think we'll be awarding the job to Fichtner very soon. I'd rather Haley be our OC, to be quite honest. But I think Fichtner will get the job.

Rick5895
01-31-2012, 06:10 AM
If he's coming to Pittsburgh, it'll likely be as a Quarterback's coach. I think we'll be awarding the job to Fichtner very soon. I'd rather Haley be our OC, to be quite honest. But I think Fichtner will get the job.

I have a feeling that if Fichtner was going to be announced as OC, it would have been done already. If La Canfora is right and Tomlin is checking out Haley then I would suspect the Steelers may be going outside the organization for an OC. Fichtner would be an Arians disciple and if they wanted that type of offense, Arians would still be here.
Just my opinion, but they seem to be taking their time picking the OC which tells me they are interested in an "outsider"

fat4jc
01-31-2012, 06:18 AM

Maybe Miller should be the QB...that's your wet dream, ain't it?

Bayz101
01-31-2012, 06:18 AM
I have a feeling that if Fichtner was going to be announced as OC, it would have been done already. If La Canfora is right and Tomlin is checking out Haley then I would suspect the Steelers may be going outside the organization for an OC. Fichtner would be an Arians disciple and if they wanted that type of offense, Arians would still be here.
Just my opinion, but they seem to be taking their time picking the OC which tells me they are interested in an "outsider"

I sort of suspected that maybe Tomlin hadn't begun the thinking progress of all this until recently, he recently lost his father.

Rick5895
01-31-2012, 06:21 AM
I sort of suspected that maybe Tomlin hadn't begun the thinking progress of all this until recently, he recently lost his father.

Tomlin clearly isn't the only one involved in the decision making, if he was Bruce would still be OC.

Bayz101
01-31-2012, 06:22 AM
Tomlin clearly isn't the only one involved in the decision making, if he was Bruce would still be OC.

You do have a point there, lol.

ricardisimo
01-31-2012, 07:05 AM
I hadn't thought of it that way. Maybe.
Anyone who has a problem with Haley as our OC will never be happy with anyone we hire.

What legit reason does anyone have that Haley wouldn't be a better OC then Arians? So far all I've heard is he's a jerk. Really? How does anyone know this? Because he butted heads with a mediocre QB who didn't listen to him? Does anyone really know how this guy is behind the scenes? To me he looks like a guy who doesn't like to lose... so much so that he gets pretty fired up. I don't see that as a bad thing. I see that as the exact thing this team needs. We've got a HC who watches the game like a spectator and cheers on his players no matter what. We've got a DC who's more cerebral in his coaching then most. Ever since Bill Cowher left I thought we needed someone who gets fired up and demands that his players play to perfection. I want a coach who can be a little bit of a prick if we lose.

Im' willing to bet if Haley won as a HC he'd be loved and respected...much like Bill Cowher was. Problem was he took over a team that just doesn't have what it takes to win...from the front office down. With out our front office does anyone believe Mike Tomlin would be winning? Put MT in KC - do you think he wins more games then Haley? Haley is so much more of a coach then Arians it isn't even funny.
You have to remember: Haley really hasn't accomplished anything with anyone not named Warner. I could coach Kurt Warner into the playoffs. Show me what he's done since then.

steelfury02
01-31-2012, 08:11 AM
oh yes - its all perspective

again - Steelers fan = Yankees fans

Just impossible expectations

Just to remind everyone - the 49ers and their fans (who have a similar storied history like our Steelers) are absolutely THRILLED that they made it to the NFC Champ game and are stoked about Alex Smith - who is still considered at the same level of Sanchez (who actually has made it to two AFC champ games - so argue amongst yourselves over that one)

The Ravens and their fans are excited about Flacco's performance in the AFC champ game regardless of the loss

The Steelers fans don't get a SB win and all of a sudden its time to put Ben on notice - a 2 time SB champ / 3 appearances who has helped guide his team to a 12-4 record the 3 out of the last 4 seasons.

Brady hasn't done what we consider "squat" since Super Bowl 39 - and he is God there.

We need to have a little more patience than that. Ben is not without his flaws and yes, could be even better than he is - but let's put away the torches and pitchforks.

steelfury02
01-31-2012, 08:14 AM
and for that matter, let's give Tomlin a break - the guy is actually a living breathing human being and his father just passed away

There's a reason the losing team smiles and fraternizes with the "enemy" after the game

For as much hate as a lot of us have - take a deep breathe and imagine Ben and Ray Lewis sitting down having a nice meal together - because that's exactly what they did during the Pro Bowl - they are friends - IMAGINE THAT

Reality check peeps

madtowndrunkard
01-31-2012, 08:18 AM
I hadn't thought of it that way. Maybe.

You have to remember: Haley really hasn't accomplished anything with anyone not named Warner. I could coach Kurt Warner into the playoffs. Show me what he's done since then.

Really? Kurt Warner was a good QB but lets not get carried away. At that point of his career he was easily beatable. No one expected the Cardinals to be good. If a Warner quality QB is all it takes, then Haley should have no problem with Ben.

What attracts me to Haley is the fact he can scheme. He knows how to run an offense and come up with solid game plans. His failures as a head coach IMO do not reflect on his ability to run an offense. Any OC needs some weapons to win consistently. I also think Haley's inability to delegate might have also hurt him. But lets be honest...he was not working with anywhere near the talent we have in Pittsburgh.

madtowndrunkard
01-31-2012, 08:22 AM
Before you hang Todd Haley in the courts of public opinion..maybe read some of the stuff coming from that organization..... YOU NEED TO READ THIS:

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/14/3371495/arrowhead-anxiety-turnover-off.html

Three former department heads sued the Chiefs in 2011, though the team has denied wrongdoing.

“When you’re mentally abused, you eventually lose it, too,” one former longtime Chiefs executive said.

"interviews with more than two dozen current and former employees suggest that intimidation and secrecy are among the Chiefs’ principal management styles — and that Haley wasn’t the only one with paranoid thoughts."

“The level of paranoia was probably the highest that I had ever seen it anywhere,” another former high-ranking staffer said. “… If you make the wrong step, you might not be able to pay your mortgage.”

"Business-side staffers with an office window facing the practice fields were made to keep their shades drawn during practices. The team president was no exception. A security guard made the rounds during practices, sometimes interrupting phone calls and meetings to lower shades.

Chiefs president Mark Donovan said his shade is drawn for the sake of consistency, to give the impression that no business-side employee is trusted more or less than another."

“No one could be successful in that environment,” a former director-level employee said.

DanRooney
01-31-2012, 08:42 AM

Makes you wonder what Tomlin actually does besides throw the challenge flag (and he's not very good at that).

Kingmagyar
01-31-2012, 09:55 AM
Randy Fichtner could be a wiz kid for all we know, but if he had ideas for the red zone offense couldn't he have suggested things to BA to be tried? I thought all coaches contribute to a game plan somewhat. Some QB coaches have been in charge of the passing game for example or implementing a passing game as Todd Hailey with the Dallas Cowboys.

Also Ben's play has been a little more inconsistent with Fichtner as his QB coach in terms of decision making. If Ben as well as the offense needs to tweak his game isn't that Fichtner's job as his coach to have already done that?

This may make Fichtner a bad choice for the job.

Kingmagyar
01-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Todd Hailey in his 2 seasons in Arizona:
2007 12th in yards 7th in Scoring
2008 4th in yards 3rd in Scoring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Haley

Tom Clements in his 2 seasons as offensive coordinator in Buffalo

2004 25th in yards 7th in Scoring with Drew Bledsoe
2005 28th in yards 24th in Scoring with Kelly Holcomb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clements

By the way Alex Van Pelt (another name mentioned) as offensive coordinator of the Bills in 2009 finished
30th in yards and 28th in Scoring. Maybe they are considering him as a new QB coach.

one thing for sure is if Hailey or Clements get the job then more then likely Fichtner is out and joins Arians in Indy.

EbonySteel86
01-31-2012, 10:27 AM
Didn't Haley lose Jamal Charles and Bowe to injuries the year he got fired? I'm not sure.

FrancoLambert
01-31-2012, 11:15 AM
oh yes - its all perspective

again - Steelers fan = Yankees fans

Just impossible expectations

Just to remind everyone - the 49ers and their fans (who have a similar storied history like our Steelers) are absolutely THRILLED that they made it to the NFC Champ game and are stoked about Alex Smith - who is still considered at the same level of Sanchez (who actually has made it to two AFC champ games - so argue amongst yourselves over that one)

The Ravens and their fans are excited about Flacco's performance in the AFC champ game regardless of the loss

The Steelers fans don't get a SB win and all of a sudden its time to put Ben on notice - a 2 time SB champ / 3 appearances who has helped guide his team to a 12-4 record the 3 out of the last 4 seasons.

Brady hasn't done what we consider "squat" since Super Bowl 39 - and he is God there.

We need to have a little more patience than that. Ben is not without his flaws and yes, could be even better than he is - but let's put away the torches and pitchforks.

Hmmm.....Niner fans should be thrilled. Consider where they were under Singletary and where they are now under Harbaugh.

Raven fans are thrilled because they beat the Steelers twice, won the division, Flacco improved, and they nearly made it to the SuperBowl.

Steeler fans are disappointed with the season because we got knocked out by an 8-8 team that never should have beaten us. The offense was incredibly inconsistent and piss-poor in the red zone. Plus, we had the nucleus of a team that could have won the bowl last year.

All things considered, and despite going 12-4, Steeler fans do have a right to "bring out the torches and pitchforks." From what I read on this board most of the criticism and disappointment is justified and merited by the team's inconsistent performance.

Rick5895
01-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Before you hang Todd Haley in the courts of public opinion..maybe read some of the stuff coming from that organization..... YOU NEED TO READ THIS:

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/14/3371495/arrowhead-anxiety-turnover-off.html

Three former department heads sued the Chiefs in 2011, though the team has denied wrongdoing.

“When you’re mentally abused, you eventually lose it, too,” one former longtime Chiefs executive said.

"interviews with more than two dozen current and former employees suggest that intimidation and secrecy are among the Chiefs’ principal management styles — and that Haley wasn’t the only one with paranoid thoughts."

“The level of paranoia was probably the highest that I had ever seen it anywhere,” another former high-ranking staffer said. “… If you make the wrong step, you might not be able to pay your mortgage.”

"Business-side staffers with an office window facing the practice fields were made to keep their shades drawn during practices. The team president was no exception. A security guard made the rounds during practices, sometimes interrupting phone calls and meetings to lower shades.

Chiefs president Mark Donovan said his shade is drawn for the sake of consistency, to give the impression that no business-side employee is trusted more or less than another."

“No one could be successful in that environment,” a former director-level employee said.

Very interesting read. If in fact that is happening in Chiefville, no wonder they struggle. This only makes me want to see Haley here more. He has lots to prove and that usually brings out the best in a person. Look what he did with the Arizona offense, and we have more talent here than they did. He may be the answer we are looking for at OC. He also has seen how this organization runs from the inside so to speak when his father was our director of player personal for 20 years. IMO Haley is the right fit for the Steelers. And I think he could help bring us back to the super bowl.

GMU Steeler
01-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Didn't Haley lose Jamal Charles and Bowe to injuries the year he got fired? I'm not sure.

Charles and Cassel but not Bowe.

PhantomJB93
01-31-2012, 12:45 PM
For the people saying he can't do anything without Warner, take a look at the 2010 Chiefs offense. Lethal on the ground, touchdown after touchdown through the air. And this year they were destroyed by injuries.

GMU Steeler
01-31-2012, 12:48 PM
I thought Haley got a bad rap in KC honest. Injuries killed that team.

OX1947
01-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Todd Haley's issues have nothing to do with his talent. His issue is his attitude. He is a little immature and very confrontational. Haley has Steelers ties from his dad, so I am sure he has knowledge of how things work in Pittsburgh. I wouldn't be upset if he ended up being OC, but will his attitude mesh with Tomlin's cool demeanor? I would say that would be the only issue to solve.

Millers the sh!t
01-31-2012, 01:49 PM
Makes you wonder what Tomlin actually does besides throw the challenge flag (and he's not very good at that).

"troll alert"....... Just kidding.

I feel the same way. It seems like when Tomlin has to actually make a decision (that the public is aware of) he can't even do it, or makes the wrong one. He's still a young man and hopefully he learns to "be the parent and not the friend."

Millers the sh!t
01-31-2012, 01:51 PM
For the people saying he can't do anything without Warner, take a look at the 2010 Chiefs offense. Lethal on the ground, touchdown after touchdown through the air. And this year they were destroyed by injuries.

Bam!! ^ right there...

Millers the sh!t
01-31-2012, 01:59 PM
No. We'll make the Miller meter, just to piss you off :chuckle:

And Ben gone next year? Really???

Ha ha ha... Nice man. I'd love a Miller meter!!

I didn't say he def. Would be gone after next year. I'm saying I wouldn't be surprised if he was gone after the 2012-13 season. He just needs to make better/quicker decisions and have a better work ethic. His style of play won't last much longer. He MUST change soon to last in the league. I know he's lead us to 3 superbowls and I'm happy for it, but I'd like him to last long enough to bring us there again.

BengalDestroyer
01-31-2012, 02:38 PM

second thread I can't agree with you more on!!!

StainlessStill
01-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Saw that the top 3 candidates would be Fitchner, Clements and Haley. Going to see how this un-folds and interestingly so. I'd rather the FO and Tomlin take their time than hurry and promote from within as an automatic reaction to Arians's departure. Interesting to note that GB hasn't offered Clements their OC job yet.

I'd be ALL for any of these 3 guys so, good things are ahead for this offense.

EbonySteel86
01-31-2012, 04:08 PM
I'm almost certain if Haley was our OC, we wouldn't have got Tebowed. He would've known if Redman is avg 7 yards a carry, you keep running him. I never saw him do that with Jamal Charles. Ben might not like having a running game, but he need to get over it. If they did focus a little more on the running game his buddy Arians would still be here.

TRH
01-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Saw that the top 3 candidates would be Fitchner, Clements and Haley. Going to see how this un-folds and interestingly so. I'd rather the FO and Tomlin take their time than hurry and promote from within as an automatic reaction to Arians's departure. Interesting to note that GB hasn't offered Clements their OC job yet.

I'd be ALL for any of these 3 guys so, good things are ahead for this offense.

Me too!
Clements would probably be an outside chance...i think it will be one of the other 2.... but like you said, i'll take any of the 3. Very exciting times.