PDA

View Full Version : Colts offensive coordinator Arians: 'It was a great ride' with Steelers

mesaSteeler
02-02-2012, 06:10 AM
Colts offensive coordinator Arians: 'It was a great ride' with Steelers

By Mark Kaboly
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 2, 2012

His time with the Steelers didn't end how he had hoped, but Bruce Arians said he hasn't "been this excited in years," after his hiring as Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator.

"I walked into the building (Monday) and never been greeted any better in my 37 years of coaching," Arians said Wednesday during an introductory conference call with reporters. "It's a new beginning. I am really excited about putting that horseshoe back on. I am looking forward to it."

Arians, 59, was the Colts' quarterbacks coach from 1998-2000, and the organization brought him back on Tuesday to run the offense. The move came 10 days after Arians parted ways with the Steelers in what the organization labeled as a retirement.

Arians later admitted it wasn't a retirement and that he wasn't offered a contract by team president Art Rooney II. Rooney responded by saying Arians' constant struggle with retirement prompted the organization to go in a different direction.

Arians, however, said yesterday he hasn't worried about retirement in years.

Even though his departure ended on bad terms, Arians said he cherishes his time with the Steelers.

"I was enjoying what I was doing," he said.

As offensive coordinator, Arians helped the Steelers to two Super Bowl appearances, including a championship in 2008. His offense ranked as high as seventh and as low as 22nd in his five years as coordinator.

Arians said he would miss the people he worked with but tiptoed around questions about Steelers' ownership.

"It was a great ride, great people. I love these guys," Arians said. "I have had a great relationship with these players."

Under Arians' guidance, the Steelers had three 12-4 seasons and advanced to the playoffs four times as he helped groom Ben Roethlisberger into one of the NFL's top quarterbacks.

"Ben is a superstar, and I would like to say that I helped him, but the good Lord gave him a ton of talent," Arians said. "We have a great relationship and that is going to last forever."

Arians takes over an Indianapolis offense full of uncertainty because of quarterback Peyton Manning's health problems. Although Arians said he would love to have Manning back, he promised the Colts offense will be balanced no matter who is quarterback.

"You cannot be one dimensional," Arians said. "I would like to go back and look at the statistics when I called plays in Cleveland and Pittsburgh for eight years. I am betting it is pretty close to 50-50."

In eight years as an NFL offensive coordinator, Arians called pass plays 55 percent of the time. In his five years with the Steelers, he threw 51.8 percent of the time. In 2011, that number grew to 57.2 percent.

"We were second in the league in time of possession this year, but we threw more than we ran," Arians said. "We won a lot of games by running out the clock by throwing the football."

Still, Arians was a magnet for criticism, even from management. Rooney said publicly two years ago that he believed the team needed to run the ball more. A few days before not renewing Arians' contract, Rooney said the offense and Roethlisberger's game needed to be tweaked.

Arians accepts the blame that comes with the title.

"When you are calling the plays, there are 65,000 fans in the stands 63,000 are calling plays better than you are," Arians said. "Everybody who plays 'Madden' and fantasy football calls plays."

Wilson's condition upgraded

Steelers running back coach Kirby Wilson, badly burned Jan. 6 in a fire at his Seven Fields home, has been upgraded to serious condition, his family said Wednesday in a statement.

Wilson had been listed in critical condition in the Trauma Burn Center at UPMC Mercy, Uptown, while he recovered from burns that encompassed 45 percent of his body.

"His status is stable, and he has started his physical rehabilitation," the statement said. "The Wilson family would like to thank everyone for their prayers and support."

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

Read more: Colts offensive coordinator Arians: 'It was a great ride' with Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_779545.html#ixzz1lE3gaqPK

Rockonsteel
02-02-2012, 07:07 AM
Colts offensive coordinator Arians: 'It was a great ride' with Steelers

By Mark Kaboly
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, February 2, 2012

His time with the Steelers didn't end how he had hoped, but Bruce Arians said he hasn't "been this excited in years," after his hiring as Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator.

"I walked into the building (Monday) and never been greeted any better in my 37 years of coaching," Arians said Wednesday during an introductory conference call with reporters. "It's a new beginning. I am really excited about putting that horseshoe back on. I am looking forward to it."

Arians, 59, was the Colts' quarterbacks coach from 1998-2000, and the organization brought him back on Tuesday to run the offense. The move came 10 days after Arians parted ways with the Steelers in what the organization labeled as a retirement.

Arians later admitted it wasn't a retirement and that he wasn't offered a contract by team president Art Rooney II. Rooney responded by saying Arians' constant struggle with retirement prompted the organization to go in a different direction.

Arians, however, said yesterday he hasn't worried about retirement in years.

Even though his departure ended on bad terms, Arians said he cherishes his time with the Steelers.

"I was enjoying what I was doing," he said.

As offensive coordinator, Arians helped the Steelers to two Super Bowl appearances, including a championship in 2008. His offense ranked as high as seventh and as low as 22nd in his five years as coordinator.

Arians said he would miss the people he worked with but tiptoed around questions about Steelers' ownership.

"It was a great ride, great people. I love these guys," Arians said. "I have had a great relationship with these players."

Under Arians' guidance, the Steelers had three 12-4 seasons and advanced to the playoffs four times as he helped groom Ben Roethlisberger into one of the NFL's top quarterbacks.

"Ben is a superstar, and I would like to say that I helped him, but the good Lord gave him a ton of talent," Arians said. "We have a great relationship and that is going to last forever."

Arians takes over an Indianapolis offense full of uncertainty because of quarterback Peyton Manning's health problems. Although Arians said he would love to have Manning back, he promised the Colts offense will be balanced no matter who is quarterback.

"You cannot be one dimensional," Arians said. "I would like to go back and look at the statistics when I called plays in Cleveland and Pittsburgh for eight years. I am betting it is pretty close to 50-50."

In eight years as an NFL offensive coordinator, Arians called pass plays 55 percent of the time. In his five years with the Steelers, he threw 51.8 percent of the time. In 2011, that number grew to 57.2 percent.

"We were second in the league in time of possession this year, but we threw more than we ran," Arians said. "We won a lot of games by running out the clock by throwing the football."

Still, Arians was a magnet for criticism, even from management. Rooney said publicly two years ago that he believed the team needed to run the ball more. A few days before not renewing Arians' contract, Rooney said the offense and Roethlisberger's game needed to be tweaked.

Arians accepts the blame that comes with the title.

"When you are calling the plays, there are 65,000 fans in the stands 63,000 are calling plays better than you are," Arians said. "Everybody who plays 'Madden' and fantasy football calls plays."

Wilson's condition upgraded

Steelers running back coach Kirby Wilson, badly burned Jan. 6 in a fire at his Seven Fields home, has been upgraded to serious condition, his family said Wednesday in a statement.

Wilson had been listed in critical condition in the Trauma Burn Center at UPMC Mercy, Uptown, while he recovered from burns that encompassed 45 percent of his body.

"His status is stable, and he has started his physical rehabilitation," the statement said. "The Wilson family would like to thank everyone for their prayers and support."

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

Read more: Colts offensive coordinator Arians: 'It was a great ride' with Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_779545.html#ixzz1lE3gaqPK

Arians is gone. He's coaching another team now, bless his heart. I wish these guys would just let it go and let him go away.

Rockon

Darkstorm05
02-02-2012, 07:35 AM
"When you are calling the plays, there are 65,000 fans in the stands 63,000 are calling plays better than you are," Arians said.

He doesn't even know how correct he is.

Bayz101
02-02-2012, 07:37 AM

When you add the amount of people watching at home, the numbers are overwhelming :rofl:

DanRooney
02-02-2012, 07:41 AM

:toofunny:

zshelhamer
02-02-2012, 07:44 AM
"When you are calling the plays, there are 65,000 fans in the stands 63,000 are calling out what plays I'm going to run. Arians said.

Fixed for accuracy.

Edman
02-02-2012, 07:51 AM
Slow news day?

To all Arians Lovers in the Post-Gazette; He's gone. Get over it.

"Ride" is pretty accurate description. He ran a mediocre offense that was carried to the Super Bowls by Defense and Ben's miracles. The Steelers Offense was never a driving force to these championships in fact, it may have been a drag-along. The Defense did most of the dirty work while the Offense farted around. Nice guy, but he wasn't good, and he's gone.

Sixburgher
02-02-2012, 08:48 AM
To all Arians Lovers in the Post-Gazette; He's gone. Get over it.

And all the detractors who continue to piss and moan about him would be wise to do the same.

madtowndrunkard
02-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Here's my prediction.... at some point in the next few years Ben is going to push to be traded to the Colts so he can play for his former OC.

I would not shock me to see the Colts offense struggle to score points for the next couple years...then in desperation Arians will push Colts management to trade for Ben....and of course Ben will push the Steelers to make it happen.

Bayz101
02-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Here's my prediction.... at some point in the next few years Ben is going to push to be traded to the Colts so he can play for his former OC.

I would not shock me to see the Colts offense struggle to score points for the next couple years...then in desperation Arians will push Colts management to trade for Ben....and of course Ben will push the Steelers to make it happen.

I wouldn't bet on that, but it's certainly not impossible. If the Colts struggle on offense with one of the most highly regarded quarterback's coming out of the draft in years, they'll probably give Bruce the boot before he even has the opportunity to suggest such a trade. Luck was already a bit annoyed by the fact that he'd likely have to sit behind Manning (not as likely now), and i'm sure sitting him behind Ben after he's already started several games wouldn't be a good idea.

stb_steeler
02-02-2012, 09:46 AM
I guess the Colts dont mind staying at 2-14 for awhile......:coffee:

Fire Arians
02-02-2012, 10:36 AM

so he can be andrew luck's backup? lol

MACH1
02-02-2012, 10:45 AM

Here's my prediction.
We get a real OC and are in contention for the superbowl for years to come. Ben tells the Colts to stick it not wanting to leave to go to a suck ass team that can't score with arians high powered "bubble screen offense". :hunch:

Bayz101
02-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Here's my prediction.
We get a real OC and are in contention for the superbowl for years to come. Ben tells the Colts to stick it not wanting to leave to go to a suck ass team that can't score with arians high powered "bubble screen offense". :hunch:

:toofunny:

jiminpa
02-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Here's my prediction.
We get a real OC and are in contention for the superbowl for years to come. Ben tells the Colts to stick it not wanting to leave to go to a suck ass team that can't score with arians high powered "bubble screen offense". :hunch:You give Ben WAY too much credit. He doesn' have a clue just how bad our offense really was. But I don't give Arians 3 years in Indy. He'll be lucky if he isn't fired around game 14 of season 2.

TomlinsThorn
02-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Here's my prediction.

Interesting read (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/01/breaking-down-the-steelers-2011-wide-receiver-bubble-screens/) on the bubble screen offense.

Bayz101
02-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Interesting read (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/01/breaking-down-the-steelers-2011-wide-receiver-bubble-screens/) on the bubble screen offense.

Oh hell. I've seen this breakdown too many times. Get me the situational statistics for those plays, and i'll give it some consideration. I found it funny the chart lists how much time was left in the quarter the play was ran, but it doesn't list the quarter. I don't think AriansDepot want's us to know how badly the play was abused in situational gameplay :wave:

Fire Arians
02-02-2012, 12:11 PM

touchdown to INT ratio is terrible which is what matters most.

when thrown to wallace, it works. go figure, he's fast. when thrown to hines, it's a wasted play.

The bubble screen isn't that bad of a play, but when it's run as many times as arians likes to run it, it's predictable. even the perfect plays are shit when the defense knows it's coming.

and for your reading entertainment, relive the arians abortion. the worst playcall in the history of steelers football, arians should have been fired immediately after this game: http://www.stillers.com/articles/2211.aspx

MACH1
02-02-2012, 12:17 PM

arians calls 12 bubble screens-

1 goes for 36 yards
1 goes for 26 yards
the others 10 go for a yard apiece courtesy of the wr simply falling forward as soon as he is hit at the LOS.

36+26+10(1)=72/12 plays= 6 yards per play

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=84001

It's unstoppable.

TomlinsThorn
02-02-2012, 01:23 PM

when thrown to wallace, it works. go figure, he's fast. when thrown to hines, it's a wasted play.

The bubble screen isn't that bad of a play, but when it's run as many times as arians likes to run it, it's predictable. even the perfect plays are shit when the defense knows it's coming.

and for your reading entertainment, relive the arians abortion. the worst playcall in the history of steelers football, arians should have been fired immediately after this game: http://www.stillers.com/articles/2211.aspx

That's pretty damn funny. Sad, but funny.

Boy, I'm glad he's gone.

steelfury02
02-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Gee whiz Brucey - even now you just don't get it!

The percentage in which you passed or ran the ball wasn't the issue! It was the SITUATIONS in which you called a particular run or pass play that was the problem.

Take your ratios/percentages/rankings and whine to the Colts fans (the next 60-70,000 that will be complaining ((obviously you aren't mature enough to not comment about criticism)) about them. )

Bruce - can you tell me what your red zone efficiency has been?

Oh wait everyone - that isn't his fault at all - the players didn't execute the plays! It's amazing what other OCs can do with a lot less. FYI - the Ravens offense outperformed ours - and that was Cam Cameron opposite you with far less talent to work with.

Good riddance. Please - no more Arians updates. I hope he and drag-queen voiced Luck ride off into 2-14 oblivion.

WALK AWAY BRUCE - JUST WALK AWAY!

TomlinsThorn
02-02-2012, 03:07 PM
I hope he and drag-queen voiced Luck ride off into 2-14 oblivion.

LOL, Dude, where did THAT come from?

TRH
02-02-2012, 03:25 PM
It seems the media has already made Luck a bona-fide success. Are they forgetting Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell,and Brady Quinn?? They were all "sure things", big stars too who would torch the record books.

BKAnthem
02-02-2012, 04:41 PM

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

jiminpa
02-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Speaking of the situation. How many of those were 3rd and 10, where the defense will give you 6-7 yard garbage plays, as long as you still have to punt? But then Brucey doesn't understand all of that.

Whodis
02-03-2012, 07:48 AM
http://bionicteaching.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/waving.gif

Farewell funnyman!!

BKAnthem
02-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Wait until Peyton sees that Playbook of Bruces...

Fire Arians
02-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Wait until Peyton sees that Playbook of Bruces...

Peyton scramble, everybody go deep
WR screen
Addai up the middle

Edman
02-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Peyton scramble, everybody go deep
WR screen
Addai up the middle

Dallas Clark? Who's that? Keep him in there to block.

No-Huddle? What's that?

Playaction? Useless!

Slant routes? That's nonsense. 10-20 yard outs all game.

Something in the offense works and the defense is having trouble stopping it? Stop doing it right now. That makes too much sense and is too predictable.

In the Red Zone? SLING THE BALL EVERYWHERE.

Team adjusted to our scheme? GO FOR THE BUBBLE SCREEN.

Redman's a better downhill runner? Sit him when we're in the redzone.

Mendenhall better in space with recieving ability? Slam him into the line 20-30 times a game.

3rd and Short? FIVE WIDE.

Bayz101
02-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Oh come one we know who calls the Colts plays, and it's not the offensive coordinator. I mean, he may call the play in, but he'd be lucky if that's what's ran.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-03-2012, 04:03 PM
situational calls?lol

All I would like to know, is which of the 63,000 play callers in the stands, would've called the plays below, 4 times in a row? Even if your playing All Madden you would not do it 4 times in a row, lol

1st and goal on the 1/2 yard? Run RM, stopped
2nd and 1/2 yard? Run RM, stopped
hmmmm, I'll surprise them and try it again, lol
3rd and 1/2 yard, stopped for a los, with RM, our big time short yardage back.
Hmmm, there is no way they will think im going to run again after losing 3 downs with the same play, right?
4th and 1, Run RM, stopped again.

Well our Def can stop them now, lol

Tomlin turned to DL and said something to him, lol Would love to know what he said after the 4th stuffed run.

jiminpa
02-03-2012, 06:11 PM
situational calls?lol

All I would like to know, is which of the 63,000 play callers in the stands, would've called the plays below, 4 times in a row? Even if your playing All Madden you would not do it 4 times in a row, lol

1st and goal on the 1/2 yard? Run RM, stopped
2nd and 1/2 yard? Run RM, stopped
hmmmm, I'll surprise them and try it again, lol
3rd and 1/2 yard, stopped for a los, with RM, our big time short yardage back.
Hmmm, there is no way they will think im going to run again after losing 3 downs with the same play, right?
4th and 1, Run RM, stopped again.

Well our Def can stop them now, lol

Tomlin turned to DL and said something to him, lol Would love to know what he said after the 4th stuffed run.I'm begging you, Dick! Save me, again! I need to look competent!

Black N' Yellow
02-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Ben had a messed up ankle, remember? He couldn't do anything except take a shotgun snap or hand the ball off in that kind of situation. BA made the right decision, and the second down was actually something else that Ben audibled out of because he couldn't do it.