PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 2012 Team Needs: Inside Linebacker

pete74
02-02-2012, 11:24 AM
The final installment of the Steelers 2012 Team Needs is Inside Linebacker. It may seem like a back door need as of right now but when it comes to Salary Cap crunch time it may become a front line need. The Steelers are anywhere from $22-$27 million over the cap depending upon who you talk to and have to be below the salary cap by the start of the new league year.

Two players who very well could be on the chopping block are James Farrior and Larry Foote. One or the other or even both could be cut to save in cap space. Between the two of them the Steelers could save almost $6 million in cap space off of the number they need to get down to.

Foote would be a $3 million dollar saving if he was released. Farrior would save the Steelers $2.8 million. Both guys have bonus numbers which are right around a million. So instead of paying 9 million for the two of them we could pay less then 3. That is a much better number for guys who do not play every down. They are splitting time with one another and this is to much to spend on that.

That could make this position an extremely big need in a hurry. If we were to just release one we may be able to make it another year. There is a good chance that both could go. The only player left on the roster to replace them at that time would be Stevenson Sylvester. He is not ready nor may he ever be to be a starter on this team.

If the Steelers were to look in free agency for a replacement they really do not have to look far. They could stay in the division with D’Qwell Jackson from Cleveland. He is only 28 and had 158 tackles last season and was a beast versus the Steelers. Him next to Lawrence Timmons would be a great middle. If they can not get Jackson they may want to look at former Penn State Linebacker Dan Connor. Connor played well this season after Jon Beason was lost for the season. Beason will be back next year and Connor will need a new team join. He could be a good option if the need arises.

The Steelers could also go to the draft. That is where I would be looking. The Steelers could take Alabama Linebacker Dont’a Hightower in the first round. He is a thumper who could replace both of these guys from day one. He is my number one prospect for the Steelers in this draft. If I had to choose between a rookie and a free agent this is the way I would go. At least at this position.

There are options out there for the Steelers. If they were to keep one of the two linebackers between Foote and Farrior I think I would keep Farrior. Even though he is a liablity in the passing game I would rather have his leadership and his teaching ability to whoever the Steelers were to bring in if it was through the draft. He is this teams captain and even if he splits time with someone like Hightower next season he would be better for the team

OX1947
02-02-2012, 12:41 PM
If Hightower is there at 24, I think he is the pick. MLB is a huge need. And then get a guard in the second round.

6RingsAndCounting
02-02-2012, 03:33 PM
I want Vontaze Burfict personally.

Fire Arians
02-02-2012, 03:48 PM
I want Vontaze Burfict personally.

his attitude bothers me. who knows though maybe he can be fixed. if the coaching staff lets harrison and woodley mug his ass everytime he does something stupid in practice maybe it'll fix him lol

6RingsAndCounting
02-02-2012, 03:52 PM
his attitude bothers me. who knows though maybe he can be fixed. if the coaching staff lets harrison and woodley mug his ass everytime he does something stupid in practice maybe it'll fix him lol

I'm hoping so, if he didn't have an attitude I would be 100% certain that i'd want him, but i'm sure the Rooney's will know what the deal on him is.

60_MINUTES
02-02-2012, 04:18 PM
I want OL but I agree if a Probowl game change ILB like Hightower is there then our ILB is also a need... as long as we go BPA for OL, ILB, NT... one of these spots then I will be fine

LayingTheWoodley56
02-02-2012, 05:49 PM
The final installment of the Steelers 2012 Team Needs is Inside Linebacker. It may seem like a back door need as of right now but when it comes to Salary Cap crunch time it may become a front line need. The Steelers are anywhere from $22-$27 million over the cap depending upon who you talk to and have to be below the salary cap by the start of the new league year.

Two players who very well could be on the chopping block are James Farrior and Larry Foote. One or the other or even both could be cut to save in cap space. Between the two of them the Steelers could save almost $6 million in cap space off of the number they need to get down to.

Foote would be a $3 million dollar saving if he was released. Farrior would save the Steelers $2.8 million. Both guys have bonus numbers which are right around a million. So instead of paying 9 million for the two of them we could pay less then 3. That is a much better number for guys who do not play every down. They are splitting time with one another and this is to much to spend on that.

That could make this position an extremely big need in a hurry. If we were to just release one we may be able to make it another year. There is a good chance that both could go. The only player left on the roster to replace them at that time would be Stevenson Sylvester. He is not ready nor may he ever be to be a starter on this team.

If the Steelers were to look in free agency for a replacement they really do not have to look far. They could stay in the division with D’Qwell Jackson from Cleveland. He is only 28 and had 158 tackles last season and was a beast versus the Steelers. Him next to Lawrence Timmons would be a great middle. If they can not get Jackson they may want to look at former Penn State Linebacker Dan Connor. Connor played well this season after Jon Beason was lost for the season. Beason will be back next year and Connor will need a new team join. He could be a good option if the need arises.

The Steelers could also go to the draft. That is where I would be looking. The Steelers could take Alabama Linebacker Dont’a Hightower in the first round. He is a thumper who could replace both of these guys from day one. He is my number one prospect for the Steelers in this draft. If I had to choose between a rookie and a free agent this is the way I would go. At least at this position.

There are options out there for the Steelers. If they were to keep one of the two linebackers between Foote and Farrior I think I would keep Farrior. Even though he is a liablity in the passing game I would rather have his leadership and his teaching ability to whoever the Steelers were to bring in if it was through the draft. He is this teams captain and even if he splits time with someone like Hightower next season he would be better for the team

Pains me to say it because I love Farrior, but if I had to choose between one or the other I think we have to keep Foote based solely on the fact that he's younger and he can be a serviceable platoon player for another two or three years if we need him. Not saying that Potsie couldn't play effectively next season, but his erosion could also speed up and leave us thin inside. This is a tough call to make, and a lot of hinges on variables (who we draft early; whether the organization thinks Stevenson is ready to make the leap to starter).

I think the guard position should be our number one priority in the draft, especially with the Rooney's having stated that they want to get back to traditional Steeler football. God knows we need to firm up our line if we want that to happen. We're set at one tackle position with Gilbert, and at center with Pouncey, and you'd have to imagine that barring injury Colon will start at one tackle spot next year. We could get by with Foster/Legursky at one spot, but we have to find a long-term solution at guard. I say do it as soon as possible, and look at the NT/ILB positions immediately after that.

steeltheone
02-02-2012, 10:32 PM

Honestly we need some young attitude. Its something we lack. Just no criminal attitude.

SH-Rock
02-03-2012, 01:03 AM
I think we keep Foote and have Farrior retire, unless Sly shows that he's good enough to start.

Rick5895
02-03-2012, 03:17 AM
I prefer Hightower, he has great lateral speed. burfict is a very good player aswell, however, there is talk of poor attitude. But who knows how these rumours start. Either one good be a steal for us a 24.

Bayz101
02-03-2012, 06:29 AM
Honestly we need some young attitude. Its something we lack. Just no criminal attitude.

He's a bad egg. It isn't the on-field attitude he posses, it's the refusal to listen to coaches and more of that nature.

DanRooney
02-03-2012, 06:30 AM
I prefer Hightower, he has great lateral speed. burfict is a very good player aswell, however, there is talk of poor attitude. But who knows how these rumours start. Either one good be a steal for us a 24.

I wouldn't use the word steal. One or both of them will definitely be at our spot unless someone reaches. Now DeCastro would be a steal...

Bayz101
02-03-2012, 06:32 AM
I wouldn't use the word steal. One or both of them will definitely be at our spot unless someone reaches. Now DeCastro would be a steal...

They may not look like steal's on the board, but we have a way of making players look like steals once they've played a bit in the NFL :chuckle:

FrancoLambert
02-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Attention draft/college gurus! I need information. I've seen mocks with us taking Hightower or Burfict at pick 24.
Who is the better fit for us? I know both can play and Burfict comes with a healthy dose of attitide and baggage.
I've also read where the Ravens are interested in Burfict to replace "you know who" because of his attitide.
Although it is not sound to draft someone just to prevent another team from drafting that player, what about in this case? If he has the potential to be another "you know who" wouldn't it be better for us to have him?
Any and all informed opinions are welcome, thanks.

GMU Steeler
02-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Attention draft/college gurus! I need information. I've seen mocks with us taking Hightower or Burfict at pick 24.
Who is the better fit for us? I know both can play and Burfict comes with a healthy dose of attitide and baggage.
I've also read where the Ravens are interested in Burfict to replace "you know who" because of his attitide.
Although it is not sound to draft someone just to prevent another team from drafting that player, what about in this case? If he has the potential to be another "you know who" wouldn't it be better for us to have him?
Any and all informed opinions are welcome, thanks.
It would be an interesting idea since Burfict would fill a need and as much as I dislike Ray Lewis, he is one of the better inside linebackers of the last 20 years. I think we go either ILB or OG or NT in the first round honest. Of course it all depends on who the team has on its big board and if they're available.

tburhans
02-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Hightower is going to be a solid player at the next level. Burfict is just a beast of a player. He hits like Ryan Clark from the linebacker spot. He does have an attitude on the field similar to Joey Porter which we could use somebody like that on our defense. Although his off-field issues could steer us away from him. We have a veteran group that could set him in the right direction. They will both be solid players at the next level but in my opinion Burfict has more potential

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-04-2012, 02:40 PM
I'd prefer Hightower between the 2, but somehow think we will go with a NT. As much as I am an O line honk, the possibility of maybe getting Hightower and Ta'amu would be great with our first 2 picks.

I somehow think the Colts will be looking for a NT at the top of the 2nd if they dont get one in Free agency though.

btaylor179
02-04-2012, 04:18 PM
need an offensive line

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-04-2012, 05:57 PM
need an offensive line

Should start camp with a core of Pouncey, Gilbert, Colon. Add Foster, Chrs Scott, Jon Scott and a rookie pick in any of the first 3 rounds....shoud be enough to work with.

I am hoping anybody like Osemele, Zeitler, Schwartz will improve the O line.

Navy86
02-05-2012, 08:05 AM
I would keep Farrior all day over Foote. Farrior has amazingly kept himself in shape and is still a viable starter. Can they afford him is the only question in my mind. They absolutely need to draft a replacement this year. Burfict is a bad choice IMO. He is too unpredictable. A physical force, yes, but he is too immature. Hightower would be a good choice. If they choose to go LT or LG in the 1st with Adams or Glenn, which are actually bigger needs at this point, then in the subsequent rounds they should look at James Michael Johnson or Mychal Kendricks, maybe Jerry Franklin. Regardless, they need to bring in a successor for Farrior. I don't think Sly will be that guy.

Bayz101
02-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Farrior is a liability in coverage, but he's fast and athletic for his age. He's still got talent, just don't put him on a receiver.