PDA

View Full Version : The Dirt Dawson should get a call as The ASST. OL Coach Thread

BKAnthem
02-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Seriously... He's coached a little before..not for the Steelers incredibly...Pouncey could learn sooo much from him...that Whole freakin line could...you can't let someone with his knowledge, of, Angles, Technique, and footwork...as well as lifelong Steeler get away

steeltheone
02-02-2012, 07:13 PM
I thought DD should have had Kuglers job too. I understand not every star is coach material, but it is well known that he is.

former RB
02-02-2012, 08:57 PM
I like the idea of using former players as coaches. Dawson would make a good coach because he has a good football IQ.

Bradshaw could help Ben learn to pull the trigger and quit holding the ball.

Troy would make a great defensive coordinator.

Levon Kirkland would make a great LB coach.

I think Carnell Lake had something to do with the Steelers being #1 against the pass this year. [altho a certain corner spent too much time looking in the backfield against denver].

I think Hines would make a good WR coach. Former QB's make good WR's because they have that clock in their head, they UNDERSTAND the pressure a QB is under, they get seperation and look for the ball faster.

I think guys like Roger Craig of the old 49ers would make a good RB coach.

BKAnthem
02-03-2012, 12:32 AM
I like the idea of using former players as coaches. Dawson would make a good coach because he has a good football IQ.

Bradshaw could help Ben learn to pull the trigger and quit holding the ball.

Levon Kirkland would make a great LB coach.

I think Carnell Lake had something to do with the Steelers being #1 against the pass this year. [altho a certain corner spent too much time looking in the backfield against denver].

I think Hines would make a good WR coach. Former QB's make good WR's because they have that clock in their head, they UNDERSTAND the pressure a QB is under, they get seperation and look for the ball faster.

I think guys like Roger Craig of the old 49ers would make a good RB coach.

I agree with you on everyone but Bradshaw and Troy...Bradshaw has little to no Patience for Ben, Troy gets it done more on freakish Ability, which you can't teach...

BengalDestroyer
02-03-2012, 02:33 PM
I'd love to see Hines, Dawson, and Kirkland coach for us...that would be awesome...

DanRooney
02-03-2012, 02:41 PM

I think he would make a terrible defensive coordinator. He's out of position a lot but uses his god given abilities to make up for his mental errors. Most of his great plays are things normal football players can't do because they don't have superhuman powers like him. Do you really think any other defensive player in the league can do what he did in my sig?

Bayz101
02-03-2012, 02:43 PM
I think he would make a terrible defensive coordinator. He's out of position a lot but uses his god given abilities to make up for his mental errors. Most of his great plays are things normal football players can't do because they don't have superhuman powers like him. Do you really think any other defensive player in the league can do what he's did in my sig?

Yeah, I have to agree with you here. You can't teach instinct. Troy's pretty much at free-will with what he decides to do on the field.

BKAnthem
02-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Maybe i should start a petition on the Steelers team site

steelerchad
02-04-2012, 06:21 PM
I like the idea of workman like, cerebral players as coaches after they're done. Great players, not so much. They were too gifted to have to scratch and claw for everything they got. I want the guy who was a marginal athlete and studied, trained, and worked his ass off just to make a team and play backup linebacker and special teams. These are the guys who can teach others.

Someone like Mike Singletary can't understand why his Middle Backers can't do what he did. It's because they don't have the instincts and you can't coach that.

zcoop
02-04-2012, 09:14 PM
I like the idea of workman like, cerebral players as coaches after they're done. Great players, not so much. They were too gifted to have to scratch and claw for everything they got. I want the guy who was a marginal athlete and studied, trained, and worked his ass off just to make a team and play backup linebacker and special teams. These are the guys who can teach others.

Someone like Mike Singletary can't understand why his Middle Backers can't do what he did. It's because they don't have the instincts and you can't coach that.

Mike did pretty good. Look at what he left Harbaugh @ SF. That's a damn good squad going forward.

Rick5895
02-05-2012, 06:28 AM
In some instances , some players make good coaches. Dawson may well be a very good OL coach. However, great players usually struggle as coaches (there are exceptions), simply because today's players usually don't live up to the former greats expectations in terms of work ethic and commitment. Lake has turned out to be a good coach, but with him, he was so strong mentally and so smart during his playing days it transferred into coaching.
The former players that end up being good to great coaches are the guys who were "hangers on", guys who had to work there ass off to make a team. Jeff fisher and Bill Cowher come to mind and in the Steelers organization, Chuck Noll was also along that line.
All that being said if Dawson was interested, giving him a coaching title of offensive assistant might be a positive for the Steelers.

FrancoLambert
02-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Seriously... He's coached a little before..not for the Steelers incredibly...Pouncey could learn sooo much from him...that Whole freakin line could...you can't let someone with his knowledge, of, Angles, Technique, and footwork...as well as lifelong Steeler get away

The hell with coaching........can he still block? :chuckle: