PDA

View Full Version : Hines plan to be in Black & Gold next season

Bayz101
02-02-2012, 08:52 PM
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) The Steelers have a lot of decisions to make over the next month and one of them is whether or not to pay Hines Ward a roster bonus due in early March.

Ward is not against taking a pay cut, but, with the departure of Bruce Arians and a possible re-emphasis on the run game, Ward becomes more important in the blocking game.

Ward told reporters today at the Super Bowl, I plan on playing with the Pittsburgh Steelers and going from there.

Talks will begin between the Steelers and Ward in the next two weeks.

Article: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/02/02/hines-ward-plans-to-play-for-the-steelers-next-season/

stb_steeler
02-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Wonder if Hines will be included in more plays now that Arians is gone?

Bayz101
02-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Wonder if Hines will be included in more plays now that Arians is gone?

It isn't about including him, it's about whether or not he's talented enough to even participate. I think he's still got talent left in him, but he's obviously lost a step. I'm sure he'll be the #5 guy, and he'll see time off the bench.

stb_steeler
02-02-2012, 09:37 PM
He may have lost a bit, but i still think he has it!....Theres defensive guys older than him still playing. I dont see many saying their to old.. Ok maybe Ray Lewis but, not many...lol

ItalianSteelersFan178443
02-02-2012, 11:00 PM
He will take any role they give him. He will definitely be used in run blocking schemes. These young guys wanted him back and they got their wish. He is a team first guy and just wants to play for the best damn football team ever! But seriously he would do anything to be part of the team and they would do anything to keep him

Fire Arians
02-02-2012, 11:24 PM
thats all fine and dandy, but what matters is if the black and gold plans to have him next season.

with how his production dropped, im not sure he should play for us anymore. and if he does, it should be the league minimum since he's probably behind cotchery in the depth chart

hines has been my favorite steeler over the years but it's time to hang em up, he has no role in our offense anymore outside of a backup

steeltheone
02-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Problem is league minimum and vet minimum are two different scales.

DanRooney
02-03-2012, 06:58 AM
I hope he's planning on taking a vet minimum.

Bayz101
02-03-2012, 07:07 AM

There's no way in hell they'd bring him back on his current contract...He'll be substantially reduced in his contract if he's coming back.

Fire Arians
02-03-2012, 11:41 AM

it'd have to be that or he's gone imo. shouldn't pay any more than the minimum for anyone who's #5 on the depth chart

skline00
02-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Hines Ward is a true NFL tough guy and I wish him well. If the $$$ works 1 more year might work. Personally, I hope he retires in glory. He has been and will always be one of my favorite Steelers. However, Father Time marches on.

VA_steeelrs
02-03-2012, 12:23 PM
I would love to see Ward back in black and Gold. What he provides to the team is not limited to his role as a receiver, but rather as a leader and verteran. I would hate it if he leaves the game before Ray Lewis does.

Goldsteel86
02-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Here is something to think about, old or not Hines is still one of the most feared blockers in the league, even for a WR. Now are you going to ask Wallace, Brown or Sanders to do this? Answer is NO!!!!!! Hines is more than willing to take a pay cut, I guess it will depend on the new OC, and what his gameplan will be, I'll bet it will be, just a hunch, filled with a healthy dose of the running game, so I think this ofeense may actually need Hines, whether he has lost a step or not. :coffee:

FrancoLambert
02-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Only as the 5th wide receiver and at a very reduced salary.
Situationally, Hines could still be an asset (No, not the bubble screen).

harts
02-04-2012, 06:46 PM
hines needs to retire

the old buzzard is gonna half to be put down,
this will not end well

sad
Bettis knew when to go out gracefully
Ward is a fool

please retire

Kanata-Steeler
02-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Hines is back for another year, as I "predicted" he would be.
I guess he ain't that "old" after all ?
Ha, ha, ha.
ok, he is, but,
look at it as a challenge for the "younger" receivers to rise above the old dog, aka "EARN" it, like Hines did.
In fact, we need to find, eventually, another up n' coming Hines, for our new Runnin' game.
.... in other words, they're telling us: "... don't worry about Hines, just worry about you..."
-lol.
:)