PDA

View Full Version : "Mean" Joe Greene OK with idea of 'new' offensive plan

Wallace108
02-04-2012, 12:36 AM
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

INDIANAPOLIS -- Count Joe Greene among those happy to see the Steelers move to change their approach on offense.

"If it doesn't feel good, you have to change it and, basically, it wasn't feeling good," Greene said Friday. "It wasn't feeling good in '09, and it wasn't feeling good in 2011."

Greene, a Hall of Fame defensive tackle chosen the most important player in Steelers history, spent time promoting a new commercial for Procter & Gamble that is a takeoff on his famous Coke commercial 32 years ago which won a Clio.

Greene, a special assistant in the Steelers personnel department since '04, said watching the offense last season was difficult for him.

"I don't like the imbalance," he said in an interview with the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. He implied the Steelers could be playing Sunday in the Super Bowl had there been smarter play-calling on offense.

Steelers president Art Rooney II essentially fired offensive coordinator Bruce Arians when he did not offer him a contract renewal after the season. Monday, the Indianapolis Colts hired Arians as their offensive coordinator.

"I don't disagree with him," Greene said of Rooney's move.

The Steelers offense last season ranked 12th in the NFL in total yards but 21st in points scored. Coach Mike Tomlin has been interviewing candidates for a new offensive coordinator.

Greene said his complaint with the offense did not lie in the ratio of runs to passes but in the lack of commitment to run, especially in obvious situations.

"Look at the teams that are here,'' Greene said of the Super Bowl matchup between the New England Patriots and New York Giants. "There is a method to their madness, there is a system, you can see what they're trying to do.

"When New England played the [Baltimore] Ravens [in the AFC championship game], had they continued trying to throw the football, they would have lost it. They decided they had to run it, but they couldn't line up and show you they were going to run it, they had to look like they were going to throw the pass, and that's when they ran the ball on them. And that allowed them to score a couple touchdowns.

"And the Giants, they run the football pretty good, but they mix in the pass, and they can throw the ball.

"The thing that people don't understand with us, I've heard it said ... 'We want to throw the football because we have all the people.' Well, hell, [in the 1970s], we had Terry Bradshaw, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann; we had Jimmy Smith, we had the tight end. We could throw the ball when we had to, and we could run it when we had to. That's football! You do what you have to do when you have to do it -- run it when you need to, throw it when you need to. It's not all one way. I think that's what we didn't get."

Greene, who attends training camp with the rest of the scouts for at least the first two weeks, said the commitment to run should start there, and he did not see that.

"That means you have to practice it, that's the thing. For 18 years [as an NFL defensive coach], one of the things that I did was draw up the running game for 9 on 7 and for team," Greene said of those practice sessions. "And there is always a weakness in a defense for the run, but you have to be able to look for it. You don't just call the run because you get tired of throwing it or because someone wants you to."

Greene blamed the Steelers loss Nov. 6 to Baltimore on the offense's inability to run the clock with the lead. The Ravens drove 92 yards in the final two minutes to score the winning touchdown with eight seconds left, 23-20. He also noted that, even in the regular-season finale at Cleveland, the Browns were throwing desperation passes with a chance to win at the end, chances Greene believes they would not have had if the offense had used the clock better.

"In our second game against Baltimore, if we play smart football, we're going to be in a position to host the AFC championship game," Greene said. "I just think that we let this opportunity get away."

He has faith, however, that the Steelers will find someone to improve their offense for '12.

"Oh, yeah. The organization is a great organization, and, sometimes, great organizations stub their toes."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12035/1208112-66-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1lOOExH5f
--------------------------------------------------

Mean Joe is just a hater. He obviously doesn't know shit about football. :flap:

MACH1
02-04-2012, 12:38 AM
Hater.

Wallace108
02-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Hater.

Mean Joe sucks. He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. He's probably never even played the game before. :coffee:

MACH1
02-04-2012, 12:48 AM
Obviously he out of step speaking up. He shouldn't be meddling in team affairs.

I'm surprised he didn't blame it on lack of player execution or Dick Lebeau's D giving up more than 13 pts per game.

tony hipchest
02-04-2012, 12:56 AM
what a hater.

doesnt he understand that keisel, hampton and starks woulda still been injured in denver (and clark been sidelined) even if we had earned a week of rest?

Millers the sh!t
02-04-2012, 12:58 AM
It's a shame that Arians spent the majority of his time with us trying to figure out how they put the piece paper in the fortune cookie instead of focussing his brain powers into a common sense offensive approach like this...

Sorry for the run on sentence.

tony hipchest
02-04-2012, 01:03 AM
Obviously he out of step speaking up. He shouldn't be meddling in team affairs.

:laughing: neither should the owner. hes a "LIAR" and a hater as well. he shoulda just hired jim tressell, and allowed all the ohio ubergenius-cyberfans run the team.

after all, according to them, yinzer locals are too ignorant to really understand X's and O's. :sofunny:

:rolleyes:

Wallace108
02-04-2012, 01:09 AM
:laughing: neither should the owner. hes a "LIAR" and a hater as well. he shoulda just hired jim tressell, and allowed all the ohio ubergenius-cyberfans run the team.

Hey, wait a minute ... I'm one of those "ohio ubergenius-cyberfans." http://r28.imgfast.net/users/2815/14/51/45/smiles/2625562446.gif

Seriously though, I'm really enjoying seeing someone with Mean Joe's credentials say exactly what a lot of us have been saying for a long time. I can't wait to see how the apologists spin this.

tony hipchest
02-04-2012, 01:17 AM
:laughing:

i can hear it now, wally.

they will say how he is old, living in the past, and out of tune with todays nfl (as they hypocritically blast roger goodell on a daily basis for creating todays nfl).

*jagoffs*

MasterOfPuppets
02-04-2012, 01:44 AM
"That means you have to practice it, that's the thing.
mendenhall even pointed out the lack of run plays in practice as a reason for sundays failures in the run department. most of the linemen over the years were labeled as "maulers or roadgraders " coming out of college yet on sundays they look like an unorganized bunch of pansys. not practicing run blocking will do that.

"Oh, yeah. The organization is a great organization, and, sometimes, great organizations stub their toes."
did he just refer to the arians hiring as a stubbed toe ? (AKA...mistake) :toofunny:

OX1947
02-04-2012, 03:17 AM
Blame Arians all you want folks, but Tomlin is the decider here. He is the head coach. He should have fixed this. I think all the wins and trips to the playoffs masked it. Steelers are so good that they go to super bowls being disfuctional in areas on their team. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

Millers the sh!t
02-04-2012, 04:38 AM
Blame Arians all you want folks, but Tomlin is the decider here. He is the head coach. He should have fixed this. I think all the wins and trips to the playoffs masked it. Steelers are so good that they go to super bowls being disfuctional in areas on their team. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

VERY TRUE! Ben, Arians, Tomlin, and the fans been living off Lebeaus defense for years. Look at this year alone. Only teams we couldn't beat, were teams with top defenses themselves.

Fans asking for Lebeaus head after the ONE loss that the D could have actually been responsible for. (Denver) after years and years of top defenses and record breaking defenses.

If we didn't have lebeau we'd be battling the browns for last place.

The fact that Ben wanted/defended Arians proves he's lazy,selfish and is happy with mediocrity and also cares more about keeping than those traits than making self sacrifices to benefit the TEAM with fresh ideas and schemes.

Same goes with Tomlin. If he can't see the offensive issues were having than he's either too dumb, or scared to make a quality decision.

Sorry I'm being so negative guys but this is how I see things. Truth hurts. I've been a steelers fan since I was 9. 20+ years of dedication.

Like mentioned above, if we have a team with a REAL co-ordinator or coach that can be a coach, then we could win superbowls in every decade.

Atlanta Dan
02-04-2012, 07:20 AM
Greene blamed the Steelers loss Nov. 6 to Baltimore on the offense's inability to run the clock with the lead. The Ravens drove 92 yards in the final two minutes to score the winning touchdown with eight seconds left, 23-20. He also noted that, even in the regular-season finale at Cleveland, the Browns were throwing desperation passes with a chance to win at the end, chances Greene believes they would not have had if the offense had used the clock better.

"In our second game against Baltimore, if we play smart football, we're going to be in a position to host the AFC championship game," Greene said. "I just think that we let this opportunity get away."

IMO the failure to run off more time when the Steelers got the ball back with the lead in the Baltimore game was the beginning of the end for Arians

This is how that series went down

Pittsburgh Steelers at 4:24 BAL PIT
1st and 10 at PIT 46 Ben Roethlisberger pass incomplete to David Johnson.
2nd and 10 at PIT 46 Isaac Redman rush for 1 yard to the PITTSBURGH 47, tackled by Haloti Ngata.
3rd and 4 at BAL 48 Ben Roethlisberger pass complete to Jerricho Cotchery for 14 yards to the BALTIMORE 34, tackled by Chris Carr for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at BAL 34 Isaac Redman rush for a loss of 3 yards to the BALTIMORE 37.
Timeout BALTIMORE RAVENS, clock 02:47.
2nd and 13 at BAL 37 Ben Roethlisberger pass complete to Isaac Redman for 7 yards to the BALTIMORE 30, tackled by Haloti Ngata.
Timeout BALTIMORE RAVENS, clock 02:37.
3rd and 6 at BAL 30 Ben Roethlisberger pass incomplete to Mewelde Moore.
4th and 10 at BAL 34 Jeremy Kapinos punt for 26 yards, fair catch by Lardarius Webb at the BALTIMORE 8
DRIVE TOTALS: BAL 16, PIT 20, 6 plays, 19 yards, 2:00 elapsed

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=311106023&period=4

2 runs - 4 passes, including the obligatory incomplete pass to David Johnson on 1st down to start the drive

Mean Joe may be going public because of his loyalty to the Rooney family, given that Art Rooney is taking shots as a meddling owner for firing Arians

If Joe Greene is voicing these concerns, consider the possibility that Mean Joe and the owner are not the only ones within the Steelers organization who were fed up with Arians

Kingmagyar
02-04-2012, 08:57 AM
First off David Johnson needs to make that catch or he has no business on this team anymore. It would have forced Baltimore to use another of their timeouts or taken another 40+ seconds off the clock. It would have won the game.

2nd and 13 at BAL 37 Ben Roethlisberger pass complete to Isaac Redman for 7 yards to the BALTIMORE 30.
A play like this would have been nice on first down. Bringing up a 2nd and 3.

3rd and 6 at BAL 30 Ben Roethlisberger pass incomplete to Mewelde Moore.
This play call was ridiculous. A play to the sideline short of the first down and if caught the running back
would be taken out of bounds stopping the clock again. Do you ever notice how many times in Moore's career he has been involved in an important 3rd down conversion only to fail.

Bottom line though is the running game stunk. And there must have been a penalty in there somewhere to take us out of field goal range. Once we were at the 30 though we should have had the right play to get us closer to a field goal and that is on Arians. Besides it was a 47 yard kick, find a kicker that can make that.

Atlanta Dan
02-04-2012, 09:06 AM
And there must have been a penalty in there somewhere to take us out of field goal range. Once we were at the 30 though we should have had the right play to get us closer to a field goal and that is on Arians. Besides it was a 47 yard kick, find a kicker that can make that.

After the incomplete pass to Moore the drive was capped off by Tomlin being unable to make up his mind whether to kick a field goal:banging:

At first, coach Mike Tomlin sent out Shaun Suisham to try what would have been a 47-yard field goal. But Tomlin, unsure, hesitated and his team was penalized for delay of game and then decided to punt.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11311/1188158-66.stm

As other posters have stated, Tomlin as well as Arians is accountable for the clusters on offense this past season

Curtain_of_Steel
02-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Well I guess he could take credit for winning the lottery being picking the numbers the day after he seen them pulled.

Would've could've....

Run behind the Oline we have, in short fashion anything that is working will stop. However when it is working, they tend to not do it enough. Redman was hitting the holes, unlike a dancing RM. They should've ran a bit more in the Broncs game late, but due to a bad play call on the bomb to Wallace and him getting back slow, we had to burn an extra, very valuable TO. Due to have a kicker with no leg, we could not take a chance on a kick from outside the 45. Even if we were in range.

You can't continue to win in the NFL with a patch work OLine. Not going to happen. DL are bigger and faster than 3 years ago, LBS are bigger and faster than 3 years ago. The Steelers need to evole, but to say we wil be a run first team, not happening unless you like 8-8 seasons. We do not have a RB that can carry the team or an Oline that can protect Ben long enough to hand off the ball, let alone long enough to pass the ball.

FrancoLambert
02-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Just as the famous commercial ended we should all say, "Thanks, Mean Joe."
Thanks for saying what's been said and written by devoted Steeler fans about our disappointing season.
Can a 12-4 season be disappointing? Well, how do we feel? It certainly was.
Thanks Atlanta Dan for re-capping the essence of our failure in the second Raven game.
I can still see David (useless) Johnson dropping that wide open 1st down pass, which had a lot to do with the final outcome. That loss decided our season, Joe said it and it's true. Win that game and it's probably a very different ending.
So glad that Mean Joe spoke up, "Thanks, Mean Joe." Let's hope Tomlin and Colbert listen.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Johnson drops passes on All Madden all the time, lol

Wallace108
02-04-2012, 10:14 AM
IMO the failure to run off more time when the Steelers got the ball back with the lead in the Baltimore game was the beginning of the end for Arians
Mean Joe may be going public because of his loyalty to the Rooney family, given that Art Rooney is taking shots as a meddling owner for firing Arians

If Joe Greene is voicing these concerns, consider the possibility that Mean Joe and the owner are not the only ones within the Steelers organization who were fed up with Arians

That's a good assumption, Dan. And it wasn't just against the Ravens that our offense failed to put the game away. In 8 games last season, our offense had the ball and the lead with under 5 minutes left in the game. And all 8 times the offense failed to put the game away by either scoring more points or running out the clock. All 8 times they gave the ball back to the other team with plenty of time to mount a winning drive. And our defense saved 7 of those 8 games ... the only loss, of course, coming against the Ravens.

And these games weren't just a fluke. Arians has a history of not knowing how to play with a lead. And that actually benefited us one time ... when he was the OC of the Browns when we faced them in the playoffs in 2003. The Browns had a 33-21 lead with 5:30 left in the game. We scored a TD to make it 33-28 with 3:06 left. The Browns ran off a whopping 35 seconds on their next possession before giving us the ball back with a chance to win ... which we did. With 5 minutes left in the game and with 3 minutes left, Arians' offense had two chances to put the game away. It failed both times and put the defense in the position of having to win the game. Sound familiar? And who did Arians later blame for losing that game? Butch Davis and the defense. :doh:

It sure was good to hear someone like Mean Joe say what a lot of us have been saying for years.

zcoop
02-04-2012, 12:38 PM
VERY TRUE! Ben, Arians, Tomlin, and the fans been living off Lebeaus defense for years. Look at this year alone. Only teams we couldn't beat, were teams with top defenses themselves.

Fans asking for Lebeaus head after the ONE loss that the D could have actually been responsible for. (Denver) after years and years of top defenses and record breaking defenses.

If we didn't have lebeau we'd be battling the browns for last place.

The fact that Ben wanted/defended Arians proves he's lazy,selfish and is happy with mediocrity and also cares more about keeping than those traits than making self sacrifices to benefit the TEAM with fresh ideas and schemes.

Same goes with Tomlin. If he can't see the offensive issues were having than he's either too dumb, or scared to make a quality decision.

Sorry I'm being so negative guys but this is how I see things. Truth hurts. I've been a steelers fan since I was 9. 20+ years of dedication.

Like mentioned above, if we have a team with a REAL co-ordinator or coach that can be a coach, then we could win superbowls in every decade.

I've been a Steeler fan for over 40 years and we have won more SBs that any other franchise. Should we have won more? You betcha. But we can't win the damn thing every year. Our defenses has always been the staple that secured our success.

You said that we could win SBs every decade if we had the right coaching? Well here is what we have:

Seventies (75, 76, 79), Eighties (80), Nineties (0, lost a few Div titles and 1 SB), Y2Ks (05, 09).

The only decade we skipped since the SBs started was the 90's but our teams were solid. I think success has spoiled some of our fans. We have a great tradition and other teams would be happy to trade for what we have/had. Can we play better? Sure, there is always room for improvement. I see the glass as half full vs half empty. We'll be fine.

Kanata-Steeler
02-04-2012, 01:08 PM
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Steelers president Art Rooney II essentially fired offensive coordinator Bruce Arians when he did not offer him a contract renewal after the season. Monday, the Indianapolis Colts hired Arians as their offensive coordinator.
wtf?
:rofl:
I still can't stop laughing about this. omfg.
Well, now "Airhead" will not have to even worry about doin' ANY playcalling anymore. 'Cause Manning will be doin' it for him !
Perfect Job, for a perfect "Airhead".

mesaSteeler
02-04-2012, 01:10 PM
After the incomplete pass to Moore the drive was capped off by Tomlin being unable to make up his mind whether to kick a field goal:banging:

At first, coach Mike Tomlin sent out Shaun Suisham to try what would have been a 47-yard field goal. But Tomlin, unsure, hesitated and his team was penalized for delay of game and then decided to punt.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11311/1188158-66.stm

As other posters have stated, Tomlin as well as Arians is accountable for the clusters on offense this past season

Agree completely. I'm just along for the ride Tomlin is not blameless in this. He does not seem to have the backbone to make tough disciplinary calls and he did not hold Airhead accountable for his failures. I'm not sold on him at all. Tomlin does not seem to be much of an Xs and Os guy either. For that matter I don't think I've ever read or heard the name Tomlin and the word genius in the same sentence.

jiminpa
02-04-2012, 01:35 PM
I've been a Steeler fan for over 40 years and we have won more SBs that any other franchise. Should we have won more? You betcha. But we can't win the damn thing every year. Our defenses has always been the staple that secured our success.

You said that we could win SBs every decade if we had the right coaching? Well here is what we have:

Seventies (75, 76, 79), Eighties (80), Nineties (0, lost a few Div titles and 1 SB), Y2Ks (05, 09).

The only decade we skipped since the SBs started was the 90's but our teams were solid. I think success has spoiled some of our fans. We have a great tradition and other teams would be happy to trade for what we have/had. Can we play better? Sure, there is always room for improvement. I see the glass as half full vs half empty. We'll be fine.
...and you well illustrate what so many of us are saying. Even consistently great organizations can't afford to squander any opportunity. How often in those decades were we one piece away from the championship? We have had the players to be the best team in the league for Tomlin's whole tenure, and only have one SB win to show for it. Our defense is aging. We lost the entire NT position depth chart in the last few weeks. How long will Troy last? Chances are that Aaron Smith would be a waste of a roster spot and salary. No one played the whole season on the O-line. How long before the fastest WR in the NFL loses a step? How good will he be once that happens? How's our depth at QB? These windows are small, and if we had had a good OC and a HC who can make decisions we have at least one more trophy, and probably more in these past five years. Yeah, this is the Steelers we're talking about and since Colbert has been GM we have been very good at replacing players with little drop off, but there is a drop off on the horizon, and we have squandered four of the past five years. Sometimes to keep the glass half full you need the half-empty guys to remind you to refill the glass.

jiminpa
02-04-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm just along for the ride Tomlin...I'm glad someone else sees it that way. I call him Coach Cliche. The only good decision I can credit him with, and there is some dispute as whether it was his decision, is letting LeBeau continue to run the defense.

zcoop
02-04-2012, 01:56 PM
...and you well illustrate what so many of us are saying. Even consistently great organizations can't afford to squander any opportunity. How often in those decades were we one piece away from the championship? We have had the players to be the best team in the league for Tomlin's whole tenure, and only have one SB win to show for it. Our defense is aging. We lost the entire NT position depth chart in the last few weeks. How long will Troy last? Chances are that Aaron Smith would be a waste of a roster spot and salary. No one played the whole season on the O-line. How long before the fastest WR in the NFL loses a step? How good will he be once that happens? How's our depth at QB? These windows are small, and if we had had a good OC and a HC who can make decisions we have at least one more trophy, and probably more in these past five years. Yeah, this is the Steelers we're talking about and since Colbert has been GM we have been very good at replacing players with little drop off, but there is a drop off on the horizon, and we have squandered four of the past five years. Sometimes to keep the glass half full you need the half-empty guys to remind you to refill the glass.

You make good points and I feel ya. I heard similar criticism of Cowher during the nineties, but we stuck to our guns. Tomlin's a big boy and should be able to take his medicine just as Cowher did for not winning one in the nineties.

We could've won in '94, should've in '95 and also could've in '96 but came up short. Take away the turnovers last year and we have another one for the 2K decade.

I take issue with Tomlin not resting Ben for the last three games and not letting Dixon or Batch play. That's totally on him, but most of the games were lost on the field with the players. You can't turn the ball over or miss assignments and expect to win championships.

jiminpa
02-04-2012, 03:00 PM
You make good points and I feel ya. I heard similar criticism of Cowher during the nineties, but we stuck to our guns. Tomlin's a big boy and should be able to take his medicine just as Cowher did for not winning one in the nineties.

We could've won in '94, should've in '95 and also could've in '96 but came up short. Take away the turnovers last year and we have another one for the 2K decade.

I take issue with Tomlin not resting Ben for the last three games and not letting Dixon or Batch play. That's totally on him, but most of the games were lost on the field with the players. You can't turn the ball over or miss assignments and expect to win championships....and some plays, especially when the opposing defense can T-off on them, are higher risk for turnovers. Our offense has lived by those plays for five years, so you can't take the turnovers away. They are in the design. In fact, it is a testament to the level of talent on offense that there haven't been more turnovers. Anyone who has been watching the "strategy" could argue that it's the player execution that has been making Tomlin and Arians look closer to competency than they actually are.

Cowher had to try to make champions out of Tom Donahoe's personnel. The fact that teams with Chad Scott, DeWayne Washington, Lee Flowers, Brent Alexander, and Kordell Stewart as the best available at their positions made it to the playoffs is amazing.

zcoop
02-04-2012, 03:06 PM
...and some plays, especially when the opposing defense can T-off on them, are higher risk for turnovers. Our offense has lived by those plays for five years, so you can't take the turnovers away. They are in the design. In fact, it is a testament to the level of talent on offense that there haven't been more turnovers. Anyone who has been watching the "strategy" could argue that it's the player execution that has been making Tomlin and Arians look closer to competency than they actually are.

Arians is gone now, lets see what the new guy brings to the table.

ricardisimo
02-04-2012, 03:29 PM
mendenhall even pointed out the lack of run plays in practice as a reason for sundays failures in the run department. most of the linemen over the years were labeled as "maulers or roadgraders " coming out of college yet on sundays they look like an unorganized bunch of pansys. not practicing run blocking will do that.

did he just refer to the arians hiring as a stubbed toe ? (AKA...mistake) :toofunny:
I laughed my ass off when I read that. Priceless. Although I'm not sure what it says for a great organization to stub the same toe every Sunday for five years. :noidea:

Sixburgher
02-04-2012, 03:45 PM
These windows are small, and if we had had a good OC and a HC who can make decisions we have at least one more trophy, and probably more in these past five years.

You pick lottery numbers too? We're not going to win it every year. Deal.

Danny136200
02-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Apparently Tomlin is a bad coach that does nothing at all....

Millers the sh!t
02-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Apparently Tomlin is a bad coach that does nothing at all....

Umm.... He clearly does A LOT less than he should. If it weren't for Rooney we'd have another year of Arians and a wasted year of offensive talent.

He's got no spine and can't tell Ben "No" -someones got to be in charge at some point and the rooneys know tomlin can't do it so Daddy had to step in and tell Arians he's all done here. Hopefully tomlin gets a clue and becomes a boss. He's young and got A LOT to learn.

Playing, keeping injured players, knowing when to call a TO, watching that pathetic last offensive drive in Denver. Seen it all way to many times over the seasons and still waiting for Tomlin to grab the reigns and make the right decision once and a while. Everytime it cuts to Tomlin on the sidelines he looks like he has somewhere better to be, OR he's clapping his hands after a failed challenge or shitty play.

But it's ok guys cause we went 12-4 and beat one true playoff caliber team this season. I'm spoiled for wanting the best for our team.

tony hipchest
02-04-2012, 04:56 PM

:and the little time they did spend on practicing run plays, arians admitted they would only practice against a 3-4 defense, as opposed to a 4-3 (which was the defense the majority of teams they faced were using). :doh:

but its not his fault. he doesnt even need to prepare the players if the stupid morons would just execute the plays he calls. :dang:

Kanata-Steeler
02-04-2012, 09:22 PM
"..."The thing that people don't understand with us, I've heard it said ... 'We want to throw the football because we have all the people.' Well, hell, [in the 1970s], we had Terry Bradshaw, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann; we had Jimmy Smith, we had the tight end. We could throw the ball when we had to, and we could run it when we had to. That's football! You do what you have to do when you have to do it -- run it when you need to, throw it when you need to. It's not all one way. I think that's what we didn't get."

You HOF''er you, Joe.
Alas, no truer words could ever be spoken, and, believed in.

lipps83
02-04-2012, 10:04 PM
"The thing that people don't understand with us, I've heard it said ... 'We want to throw the football because we have all the people.' Well, hell, [in the 1970s], we had Terry Bradshaw, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann; we had Jimmy Smith, we had the tight end. We could throw the ball when we had to, and we could run it when we had to. That's football! You do what you have to do when you have to do it -- run it when you need to, throw it when you need to. It's not all one way. I think that's what we didn't get."

Poor Mean Joe, names all of the receivers, even unknown Jim Smith, but he can't remember the Tight End's name?

C'mon Joe, everyone knows it was Eric Green.

Kanata-Steeler
02-04-2012, 10:10 PM
so who isn't against a new Offensive plan, 'cause obviously the other was a suckdoid, in the end, built around an almost unsurmountable Defense.
- oh ya, that's us. Joe's right, the world is wrong.

tony hipchest
02-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Poor Mean Joe, names all of the receivers, even unknown Jim Smith, but he can't remember the Tight End's name?

C'mon Joe, everyone knows it was Eric Green.

is this a joke?

lipps83
02-04-2012, 11:06 PM
is this a joke?

Yeah, figured I would have fun with pointing out Mean Joe couldn't remember Mark Bruener.

kan_t
02-04-2012, 11:46 PM
I definitely agree that the Steelers should mix in their running game better. Keep in mind that both SB teams are not running teams. They use their passing to open up their running game. They're still passing teams. They would be silly not to when they have elite QBs like Brady and Eli. Last time I checked the Steelers also have one elite QB.

Rick5895
02-05-2012, 06:17 AM
Yeah, figured I would have fun with pointing out Mean Joe couldn't remember Mark Bruener.

I hope thats more sarcasm, LOL.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-05-2012, 12:08 PM
I hope thats more sarcasm, LOL.

Yeah, Ritchie Cunningham thinks that is messed up. :)

tony hipchest
02-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Yeah, Ritchie Cunningham thinks that is messed up. :)

ayyyyyy! :thumbsup:

yyzK6e6py9A

Atlanta Dan
02-05-2012, 02:54 PM
Did not know where to put this comment from Ed.B. of the P-G so i figured why not drop it in to the Mean Joe thread

Joe Greene loves how Patriots nose tackle Vince Wilfork plays, and guess what number he wears?

"Vince is wearing No. 75; he's one of the last guys on defense to wear that number,'' said Greene ...

Wilfork is listed at 325 but he's more like 350 or higher. Greene played, at his heaviest, at 275.

"In our first Super Bowl, I was 258,'' he told me.:jawdrop:

Those are the size of linebackers today.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114718-ed-dawson-butler-here-for-coin-toss

Will be interesting to see what happens to the size of today's players if the NFL ever gets serious about testing for HGH and other PEDs:noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
02-05-2012, 03:13 PM

Will be interesting to see what happens to the size of today's players if the NFL ever gets serious about testing for HGH and other PEDs:noidea:
i don't know how much thats got to do with it. people are just gettin bigger...:noidea:
i have a 15 yr old nephew that is 6-2 , 245 lbs....30 years ago when i was his age , i was considered a big kid and i was only about 5-11 , 190...
i blame the steriods they juice our food up with.

tony hipchest
02-05-2012, 03:29 PM

lets ask alan faneca.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/alanfaneca.jpg

wilfork is way bigger than hampton. dudes a beast and has been getting better.

4xSBChamps
02-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Did not know where to put this comment from Ed.B. of the P-G so i figured why not drop it in to the Mean Joe thread

Joe Greene loves how Patriots nose tackle Vince Wilfork plays, and guess what number he wears?

"Vince is wearing No. 75; he's one of the last guys on defense to wear that number,'' said Greene ...

Wilfork is listed at 325 but he's more like 350 or higher. Greene played, at his heaviest, at 275.

"In our first Super Bowl, I was 258", he told me.:jawdrop:

Those are the size of linebackers today.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114718-ed-dawson-butler-here-for-coin-toss

after spending that same week in the hospital with pnuemonia, you have-to wonder how-light Dwight White was that Sunday at Tulane Stadium???

known for ignoring their TE for decades, it's odd that Steeler TE caught TD passes in each of the first 2 Super Bowl victories (Brown in IX, Grossman in X)

zcoop
02-05-2012, 04:08 PM
i don't know how much thats got to do with it. people are just gettin bigger...:noidea:
i have a 15 yr old nephew that is 6-2 , 245 lbs....30 years ago when i was his age , i was considered a big kid and i was only about 5-11 , 190...
i blame the steriods they juice our food up with.

What he says.:hatsoff:

wootawnee
02-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Well said Joe !......