PDA

View Full Version : Beware of the ZORN

Kingmagyar
02-05-2012, 07:30 AM
On NFL Network last night I'm reading the crawl on coaching news and it says,

"Jim Zorn expected to be named QB coach of Kansas City pending an offer from the Steelers to be their offensive coordinator."

HUH?

Why would the Steelers be interested in a guy one team values as a QB coach? Not to mention the only year Zorn called plays was when he was a head coach and they ranked like 30th.

I believe he would make a very good QB coach and if the Steelers weren't dragging their feet on hiring a new OC they could be in the running for him as such.

Bayz101
02-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Nobody know's what the hell the Steelers are doing. I'm beginning to wonder if they even know what the hell there doing. We won't hear much of anything until the official announcement is made, and it'll likely be Finchtner.

Atlanta Dan
02-05-2012, 09:02 AM
According to this link Zorn will be staying as QB coach in Kansas City unless the Steelers contact him to interview for the OC position

NFL.com reported Saturday that Zorn will stay in Kansas City unless the Steelers approach him for their offensive coordinator job. This decision should serve the Chiefs well. Zorn had a good relationship with the quarterbacks last year and keeping him will ensure continuity.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/39603/daboll-takes-over-promising-cheifs-offense

There is no indication the Steelers actually have contacted Zorn - this may just be Zorn's agent trying to get Zorn a raise by putting out this rumor:noidea:

DanRooney
02-05-2012, 09:13 AM
**** Jim Zorn

FrancoLambert
02-05-2012, 09:22 AM
What the hell is going on?
Can't make a decision.......pickings are very slim........looks like it's going to be an in-house hire for sure (by default).
Looks like a lateral move at best.......how much offensive improvement can be expected?
:noidea:

Atlanta Dan
02-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Tomlin wanted to keep Arians and saw no reason to change

So he conducts outside interviews with a fired HC who has never been an OC and another fired HC who is uniformly regarded as being a nightmare to work with

After running out the clock with that process, Tomlin apparently will then stay in-house with the successor to Arians

If the defense slips and the offense does not improve in 2012 Tomlin will be facing bigger problems than looking for an OC

Rick5895
02-05-2012, 10:08 AM
At this point I wonder if Tomlin is conducting his own interviews or if it is actually ownership. Somehow I don't think the Rooneys are too enamored with our current offensive coaches as far as OC goes.
My guess is an announcement will be made next week. It's anybody's guess at this point who the offer the job to.
If they give it to Zorn, I'll be hopeful, but worried.

plenewken
02-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Tomlin wanted to keep Arians and saw no reason to change

So he conducts outside interviews with a fired HC who has never been an OC and another fired HC who is uniformly regarded as being a nightmare to work with

After running out the clock with that process, Tomlin apparently will then stay in-house with the successor to Arians

If the defense slips and the offense does not improve in 2012 Tomlin will be facing bigger problems than looking for an OC

Agreed.

AgentGold007
02-05-2012, 10:23 AM
I think if they were going to hire in house they would have done so already. I still think that they may be waiting to interview someone from one of the superbowl participants.

stb_steeler
02-05-2012, 10:27 AM
I think if they were going to hire in house they would have done so already. I still think that they may be waiting to interview someone from one of the superbowl participants.

Good point, but who?

DanRooney
02-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Good point, but who?

Mike Sullivan.

Bayz101
02-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Mike Sullivan.

Isn't that the Giants QB coach? If so, he's worked magic with Eli.

AgentGold007
02-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Good point, but who?

Wish I knew.

steeltheone
02-05-2012, 11:22 AM
On NFL Network last night I'm reading the crawl on coaching news and it says,

"Jim Zorn expected to be named QB coach of Kansas City pending an offer from the Steelers to be their offensive coordinator."

HUH?

Why would the Steelers be interested in a guy one team values as a QB coach? Not to mention the only year Zorn called plays was when he was a head coach and they ranked like 30th.

I believe he would make a very good QB coach and if the Steelers weren't dragging their feet on hiring a new OC they could be in the running for him as such.
Jim Zorn was an NFL head coach then he got the bone from Snyder. I think he would be a great choice!

TRH
02-05-2012, 11:32 AM
I don't think anyone knows at this point. Tomlin could be on the phone with any of these guys and there's absolutely no way any of us knows. They could be negotiating a contract for someone as we speak. They could be looking at someone like Fichtner for next week. And on....and on...and on. They are being very secretive about this.
All i know is that they missed the boat on Clements and didn't even get him into town here for at least an interview. They fell asleep at the wheel on that one. Should've called him last Monday. But then again....we may have. He might not have been interested.

Just wish we'd get some word. I don't expect this to drag on past i'd say Wed, Thurs of this week.

Millers the sh!t
02-05-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm still holding out for Haley....

If they wanted to promote from within they would have made an announcement by now. (I think)

I don't think the generals have much confidence in Fintcher.

Look how fast they took care of Butler when he was a threat to leave..

Whatever happens, I hope it's a smart decision.

DanRooney
02-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Isn't that the Giants QB coach? If so, he's worked magic with Eli.

Yes he is and he did. Eli was pretty much joked on his first few years as a starter; and even last year with the whole 'elite' thing after he already won a SB. I think Sullivan helped him shut up his critics this season.

6RingsAndCounting
02-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Hire him as QB coach and move Fichtner to OC?

60_MINUTES
02-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Hire him as QB coach and move Fichtner to OC?

NO..... Fichtner will not be the O coord... its pretty clear the steelers will hire outside the organzation and want a different Steeler scheme... there is NO chance what so ever Fichtner gets the job...

Id bet anything its Mike Sul... G men that takes over...

if steelers where gonna hire with in they would have done it already.. its not gonna happen

GMU Steeler
02-05-2012, 10:41 PM
NO..... Fichtner will not be the O coord... its pretty clear the steelers will hire outside the organzation and want a different Steeler scheme... there is NO chance what so ever Fichtner gets the job...

if steelers where gonna hire with in they would have done it already.. its not gonna happen

I'm rooting for Sullivan at this point. He's done a nice job with Eli.

JCPsteelers
02-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Seriously what's up with interviewing all the fired coaches?

GMU Steeler
02-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Seriously what's up with interviewing all the fired coaches?

Well what would you prefer? Chances are most teams with successful QB coaches won't allow us to interview them. Just because someone's a bad HC like Zorn was, it doesn't necessary mean he'd be a bad coordinator. Now that said, I really hope we get permission from the Giants to interview their QB coach, Sullivan.

TRH
02-05-2012, 11:53 PM

You don't know that.

Fichtner could still be in. Haley could still get the call. We're not even sure if they're even going to reach out to Sullivan.
Unless you're Mike Tomlin himself, none of us know anything right now...they're being VERY secretive on the whole thing.

GMU Steeler
02-05-2012, 11:54 PM
You don't know that.

Fichtner could still be in. Haley could still get the call. We're not even sure if they're even going to reach out to Sullivan.
Unless you're Mike Tomlin himself, none of us know anything right now...they're being VERY secretive on the whole thing.

I think it's for the best that they're being secretive and taking their time. They want the right man for the job and I hope we can get him. I really do hope they consider Sullivan. I was really impressed with how the Giants mixed things up tonight. Wouldn't be unhappy with Haley or Fichtner even though I'd prefer they go out of organization.

60_MINUTES
02-06-2012, 08:30 AM
You don't know that.

I'll tell you what.. you can call me the inside scoop then... You heard it here first It will not be Fichtner....

Mr. Tomlin

Kingmagyar
02-06-2012, 11:56 AM
I really liked the blocking schemes of the Giants last night. They take a simple approach to block the man in front of them and use a fullback. The Steelers too often relied on the timing of a pulling guard for a play to work.

Big question though, Can Ben make the throws that Eli does? And them having tall receivers helps them out a lot. If Sullivan was hired he would need to emphasize the importance of a great O Line and having a tall receiver as well.

Jim Zorn did call offensive plays as the head coach in Washington, and he was horrible ranking in the 30's.

BEWARE OF THE ZORN!

http://www.apoliticus.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/gorn.jpg

MDSteel15
02-06-2012, 02:33 PM
For everyone b!tch!ng about Zorn, I feel sorry for the guy. The only reason he was a head coach is because the Deadskins are idiots! He was hired to be QB coach one day and then all the sudden it's like "No, you are now our OC because we are too stupid to find one!" Huh? Excuse me? How do you put all that on somebody like that? He was a very good QB and I think if he was given the chance, with his values, he could help Ben become and even better QB! Ben's best coach so far was Ken Anderson! People say he's regressed, maybe it has to do with who is tutoring him....