PDA

View Full Version : Locked Your Keys In Your Car? Did You Know This?

Lyn
07-10-2006, 11:51 PM
I have not tried this so I do not know if it is true, a friend sent it to me and I have not tried it.

Here's a simple idea that could help us all out every now and then.

If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on your (or someone else's) cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person on the phone (at your home) press the unlock button of your
key fob (clicker), holding it near the phone on their end. Your car doors will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you.

Distance is no object you could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk!).

Editor's Note *It works fine! We tried it out, and it unlocked our car
over a cell phone!

Mike's Note * I locked the car had my youngest daughter call me while I was far away from the car. I clicked open into the phone and I could hear the car doors unlock through her cell phone. My daughter confirmed that sure enough the doors opened.

CantStop85
07-10-2006, 11:57 PM
Interesting...I must try this out...except with the panic button. :bouncy:

Hawk Believer
07-11-2006, 12:08 AM
Wierd. I guess those remotes must run by ultrasound. I always thought they were infrared. I am surprised that cell phone mics and speakers work with frequencies that we can't hear. I'd try it out if I had a car with remote entry.

Lyn
07-11-2006, 12:39 AM
I just finished my laundry (well all I plan on doing tonight) and I did try it and
IT WORKS

Now the car manufacturers or whomever makes the keys are going to have to (if they haven't already) do something a lil different because it seems like say a million or 20 or however many, remotes have the same coding the. Seemingly the number would be initesimal, but who knows! This info probably became public info because of car thiefs LOL

CantStop85
07-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Wierd. I guess those remotes must run by ultrasound. I always thought they were infrared. I am surprised that cell phone mics and speakers work with frequencies that we can't hear. I'd try it out if I had a car with remote entry.
I guess it makes sense...I've always been able to work my car remote while inside the house...infrared waves wouldn't exactly make it through a wall very well.

Hawk Believer
07-11-2006, 01:05 AM
I guess it makes sense...I've always been able to work my car remote while inside the house...infrared waves wouldn't exactly make it through a wall very well.
Ultrasound wouldn't go through a wall either. So it must be radio frequency. So how does the cell phone transmit the radio frequency??? I am going to have to leave that to the engineering types to answer.

CantStop85
07-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Ultrasound wouldn't go through a wall either. So it must be radio frequency. So how does the cell phone transmit the radio frequency??? I am going to have to leave that to the engineering types to answer.
Looked it up...yeah it's a radio frequency...from what I can tell you can actually capture someone else's "key code" by using a radio scanner.

Ambridge
07-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Good info tip Lyn!!

I'll make sure I keep it in mind if that situation should ever happen.

CAH
07-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Now that is good to know. Thanks.

Lyn
07-11-2006, 12:06 PM
This is a hoax, I just found out and I apologize for posting it.:crying01:

I tried mine last night and it unlocked my car. I was in the house, called my husband's cell phone via my cell phone. And clicked the remote as it said and my car horn honked telling me my door was unlocked.........but just to be sure I went outside and checked the locked door and sure enough it was unlocked. I thought that was the most useful piece of information, for my own use, that I had heard.

I kept going over it in my mind and then I realized (just now) that the dang thing opened because I was in my house and it would have opened anyway.

So, so sorry to have posted this to my blackngold family without first checking it out.

Hawk Believer
07-11-2006, 01:49 PM
This is a hoax, I just found out and I apologize for posting it.:crying01:

I tried mine last night and it unlocked my car. I was in the house, called my husband's cell phone via my cell phone. And clicked the remote as it said and my car horn honked telling me my door was unlocked.........but just to be sure I went outside and checked the locked door and sure enough it was unlocked. I thought that was the most useful piece of information, for my own use, that I had heard.

I kept going over it in my mind and then I realized (just now) that the dang thing opened because I was in my house and it would have opened anyway.

So, so sorry to have posted this to my blackngold family without first checking it out.
Well that is good to know. :sofunny: I could not figure out how that was possible. Now I no longer need to mull through it in my head.

section514
07-11-2006, 02:29 PM
yah, i've tried it before this definetly doesn't work

CAH
07-11-2006, 03:03 PM
yah, i've tried it before this definetly doesn't work
Well, go try it again. I want it to work. Did you hear me? :shout:

Lyn
07-11-2006, 04:46 PM
I hear you Carol! I want it to work too.....sad thing is another one of those too good to be true thingys :)

Ambridge
07-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Damnit Lyn!! :shake01: :sofunny:

You should have just kept quiet and let people find out the hard way.

melroseplace
07-11-2006, 05:44 PM
thankfully I've only locked my keys in my car once (*knock on wood*)
my friends and I all met up to head to a Pirates game last summer...I had the tickets in my car and locked my keys and the tickets in the car. my parents were half way to Pittsburgh and had to turn around to bring the spares to me :dang: