PDA

View Full Version : President Bush as Mr. Vincent Saw Him

Lyn
07-11-2006, 01:14 AM
For those of us who sometimes find ourselves having doubts about our President, here is an excellent piece -- worth every minute it takes to read it. This story is from Bruce Vincent of Libby, Montana who had gone to the White House with others to receive an award from the President. He writes:

I've written the following narrative to chronicle the day of the award ceremony in DC. I'm still working on a press release but the White
House press corps has yet to provide a photo to go with it. When the
photo comes I'll ship it out. When you get done reading this you'll
understand the dilemma I face in telling this story beyond my circle of
close friends.

Stepping into the Oval Office, each of us was introduced to the
President and Mrs. Bush. We shook hands and participated in small talk. When the President was told that we were from Libby, Montana, I reminded him that Marc Racicot is our native son and the President offered his warm thoughts about Governor Racicot. I have to tell you, I was blown away by two things upon entering the office.

First, the Oval Office sense of 'place' is unreal. The President later
shared a story of Russian President Putin entering the room prepared to tackle the President in a tough negotiation and upon entering, the
atheist muttered his first words to the President and they were "Oh, my God."

I concurred. I could feel the history in my bones. Second, the man
that inhabits the office engaged me with a firm handshake and a look
that can only be described as penetrating. Warm, alive, fully engaged, disarmingly penetrating. I was admittedly concerned about meeting the man. I think all of us have an inner hope that the most powerful man in our country is worthy of the responsibility and authority that we bestow upon them through our vote.

I admit that part of me was afraid that I would be let down by the
moment - that the person and the place could not meet the lofty
expectations of my fantasy world. This says nothing about my esteem for President Bush but just my practical realization that reality may not match my 'dream.'

Once inside the office, President Bush got right down to business and, standing in front of his desk, handed out the Awards one at a time while posing for photos with the winners and Mrs. Bush. With the mission accomplished, the President and Mrs. Bush relaxed and initiated a lengthy, informal conversation about a number of things with our entire small group.

He and the First Lady talked about such things as the rug in the office. It is traditionally designed by the First Lady to make a statement about the President, and Mrs. Bush chose a brilliant yellow sunburst pattern to reflect 'hope.' President Bush talked about the absolute need to believe that with hard work and faith in God there is every reason to start each day in the Oval Office with hope. He and the First Lady were asked about the impact of the Presidency on their marriage and, with an arm casually wrapped around Laura, he said that he thought the place may be hard on weak marriages but that it had the ability to make strong marriages even stronger and that he was blessed with a strong one.

After about 30 or 35 minutes, it was time to go. By then we were all
relaxed and I felt as if I had just had an excellent visit with a friend. The President and First Lady made one more pass down the line of
awardees, shaking hands and offering congratulations. When the
President shook my hand I said, "Thank you Mr. President and God bless you and your family." He was already in motion to the next person in line, but he stopped abruptly turned fully back to me, gave me a piercing look, renewed the vigor of his handshake and said, "Thank you -- and God bless you and yours as well."

On our way out of the office we were to leave by the glass doors on the west side of the office. I was the last person in the exit line. As I
shook his hand one final time, President Bush said, "I'll be sure to
tell Marc hello and give him your regards."

I then did something that surprised even me. I said to him, "Mr.
President, I know you are a busy man and your time is precious. I also know you to be a man of strong faith and I have a favor to ask of you."

As he shook my hand he looked me in the eye and said, "Just name it." I told him that my step-Mom was at that moment in a hospital in Kalispell, Montana, having a tumor removed from her skull and it would mean a great deal to me if he would consider adding her to his prayers that day. He grabbed me by the arm and took me back toward his desk as he said, "So that's it. I could tell that something is weighing heavy on your heart today. I could see it in your eyes. This explains it."

From the top drawer of his desk he retrieved a pen and a note card with his seal on it and asked, "How do you spell her name?" He then jotted a note to her while discussing the importance of family and the strength of prayer. When he handed me the card, he asked about the surgery and the prognosis. I told him we were hoping that it is not a recurrence of an earlier cancer and that, if it is, they can get it all with this surgery.

He said, "If it's okay with you, we'll take care of the prayer right now. Would you pray with me?" I told him yes and he turned to the staff
that remained in the office and hand motioned the folks to step back or leave. He said, "Bruce and I would like some private time for a prayer."

As they left he turned back to me and took my hands in his. I was
prepared to do a traditional prayer at once -- standing with each other
with heads bowed. Instead, he reached for my head with his right hand and pulling gently forward, he placed my head on his shoulder. With his left arm on mid-back, he pulled me to him in a prayerful embrace.

He started to pray softly. I started to cry. He continued his prayer
for Loretta and for God's perfect will to be done. I cried some more. My body shook a bit as I cried and he just held tighter. He closed by asking God's blessing on Loretta and the family during the coming months. I stepped away from our embrace, wiped my eyes, swiped at the tears I'd left on his shoulder, and looked into the eyes of our president. I thanked him as best I could and told him that me and my family would continue praying for him and his.

As I write this account down and reflect upon what it means, I have to
tell you that all I really know is that his simple act left me humbled
and believing. I so hoped that the man I thought him to be was the man that he is. I know that our nation needs a man such as this in the Oval Office. George W. Bush is the real deal.. I've read Internet stories about the President praying with troops in hospitals and other such uplifting accounts. Each time I read them I hoped them to be true and not an Internet perpetuated myth. This one, I know to be true. I was there. He is real. He has a pile of incredible stuff on his plate each day -- and yet he is tuned in so well to the here and now that he
'sensed' something heavy on my heart. He took time out of his life to care, to share, and to seek God's blessing for my family in a simple man-to-man, father-to-father, son-to-son, husband-to-husband, Christian-to-Christian prayerful embrace. He's not what I had hoped he would be. He is, in fact, so very, very much more.

NOTE: If you decide to forward this story... please do not add to it. Let Mr. Vincent's encounter stand as he wrote it.

floodcitygirl
07-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Wow! Incredible find Lyn....thanks! :smile:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-11-2006, 10:02 AM
good religous man.......and i respect him for that
not such a good president.

CAH
07-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Bush is a great president. What did he ever do wrong?

CowherLover
07-11-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm not touchin that with a 10 foot pole! :cya:

Hawk Believer
07-11-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm not touchin that with a 10 foot pole! :cya:
Good choice. Its a nice story. So lets not have a thread about a poignant antecdote turn into Bush is Bad/Bush is good debate. Lord knows there are plenty of other threads to discuss that in.

Hawk Believer
07-11-2006, 02:29 PM
I am always a little skeptical when I see these chain letter type stories on the net. But this one appears to be true. Of course no one can verify what went on when the two were in a room alone, but I trust the writer. Here is the link:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/vincent.asp

Snopes rocks. Helps me keep from being a needless cynic.

Jeremy
07-11-2006, 02:39 PM
I am always a little skeptical when I see these chain letter type stories on the net. But this one appears to be true. Of course no one can verify what went on when the two were in a room alone, but I trust the writer. Here is the link:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/vincent.asp

Snopes rocks. Helps me keep from being a needless cynic.

He'll take time to pray with you if you have enough money. But don't dare be poor or enlisted.

augustashark
07-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Say what you will about president G.W. Bush, good or bad, the man has a good heart. If we all showed kindness like this to each other, the world would be a better place.

CowherLover
07-11-2006, 02:45 PM
He'll take time to pray with you if you have enough money. But don't dare be poor or enlisted.
Uh-Oh! Now you did it. You better hurry up and close the can of worms you just opened! :shake01: :dang:

augustashark
07-11-2006, 02:50 PM

:shake01: :thmbdown: :pity:

3 to be 4
07-11-2006, 02:54 PM
I feel so much better about the economy, the state of healthcare, and the Iraq war now

CowherLover
07-11-2006, 02:58 PM
I feel so much better about the economy, the state of healthcare, and the Iraq war now
Now here you go, lol! :stirthepot:

3 to be 4
07-11-2006, 03:01 PM
im serious. all the dead,all the wounded, stuck in a cesspool doing more for ungrateful people who hate our guts than we are doing for people here, meanwhile Iran and North Korea are doing whatever they feel like, our deficit is beyond hope, but thank goodness he's a "good guy". really.

augustashark
07-11-2006, 03:20 PM
im serious. all the dead,all the wounded, stuck in a cesspool doing more for ungrateful people who hate our guts than we are doing for people here, meanwhile Iran and North Korea are doing whatever they feel like, our deficit is beyond hope, but thank goodness he's a "good guy". really.

And....Just think......You moved right in the heart of "red-state" country!!! :sofunny:

Good luck!

3 to be 4
07-11-2006, 03:49 PM
dont kid yourself, Johnson County,Kansas outside of KC, is pretty reflective of America. in fact, the state of Missouri has been probably the most accurate bellweather of who wins the general election over the last 100 years.

that being said, the Bengals suck!

Hawk Believer
07-11-2006, 04:28 PM
dont kid yourself, Johnson County,Kansas outside of KC, is pretty reflective of America. in fact, the state of Missouri has been probably the most accurate bellweather of who wins the general election over the last 100 years.

that being said, the Bengals suck!
3 tobe 4,I am sure you've read it, but if not, you would probably be interested in the book Whats the Matter with Kansas.

3 to be 4
07-12-2006, 09:39 AM
ok, i'll bite. whats it say about Kansas?

CAH
07-12-2006, 10:43 AM
It mentioned Dorothy, Toto and a tornado.

Jeremy
07-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Shake your head at me all you want. But as an enlisted Airman, I have a pretty good picture of what this good hearted man is doing to the military.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-12-2006, 11:14 AM

:sofunny: lol..yea..you might want to take CL's advise before those of us who ACTUALLY served are who ARE currently serving ask you what branch you are in to make that statement!:sofunny:

Points to CL for driving around the landmine!

Jeremy
07-12-2006, 11:18 AM
If you saw my last post, you would see that I told you I'm in the Air Force. You know, the branch that's losing 20,000 people and 23% of our budget.

But I certainly can't blame the President for that because he has a good heart and having a good heart is defining characteristic you want in a President.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-12-2006, 11:26 AM
If you saw my last post, you would see that I told you I'm in the Air Force. You know, the branch that's losing 20,000 people and 23% of our budget.

But I certainly can't blame the President for that because he has a good heart and having a good heart is defining characteristic you want in a President.

Then Jeremy you are fully aware that a VAST majority of our boys in uniform support the President...and yes I still have alot of friends and contacts in the service

Jeremy
07-12-2006, 11:33 AM
It's not as vast as it was 2 years ago before we started losing good people to force shaping.

Personally I don't care about our President having a good heart. I've read stories that paint a very different picture of him, but you believe what you want to believe I guess. I care about him being an effective leader, and the jury is still out on that issue.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-12-2006, 11:46 AM
It's not as vast as it was 2 years ago before we started losing good people to force shaping.

Personally I don't care about our President having a good heart. I've read stories that paint a very different picture of him, but you believe what you want to believe I guess. I care about him being an effective leader, and the jury is still out on that issue.

Point taken and agreed....it was just the general statement that he doesnt care about enlisted that I would say MOST enlisted men do not agree with....

...and since I havnt said it yet..THANK YOU for serving our country.

Jeremy
07-12-2006, 11:51 AM
I'd say it depends on how long you've been in. Old school NCOs probably believe that the President has their best interests at heart. Young NCOs and troops feel more ambivilent about the President and his support for them. They see 20,000 troops being pushed out the door by the end of the year, and 23% less money being devoted to their branch which means using outdated equipment and cutting back on training, and they see a reduction in their pay raises, and what you end up with are troops who don't feel like the governments, and the President, really care about them. At least that's been my experience.

And there's no need to thank me. I'm just doing what every good American should do.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-12-2006, 11:55 AM
I'd say it depends on how long you've been in. Old school NCOs probably believe that the President has their best interests at heart. Young NCOs and troops feel more ambivilent about the President and his support for them. They see 20,000 troops being pushed out the door by the end of the year, and 23% less money being devoted to their branch which means using outdated equipment and cutting back on training, and they see a reduction in their pay raises, and what you end up with are troops who don't feel like the governments, and the President, really care about them. At least that's been my experience.

And there's no need to thank me. I'm just doing what every good American should do.

But by your own admission..the simple majority of new NCO's and troops still support the President..right? Which means you are giving the minority viewpoint?

Jeremy
07-12-2006, 12:01 PM
I'd say it's 50/50 at best.

Don't get me wrong, we all believe in America and our mission. But a lot of these kids I've seen come into the Air Force is the past 18 months hold a much lower opinion of the President than the people who were here when I came in.

There is a difference between supporting the President and supporting the mission. The younger troops are more able to seperate the two than most of our older troops.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-12-2006, 12:11 PM
I'd say it's 50/50 at best.

Don't get me wrong, we all believe in America and our mission. But a lot of these kids I've seen come into the Air Force is the past 18 months hold a much lower opinion of the President than the people who were here when I came in.

There is a difference between supporting the President and supporting the mission. The younger troops are more able to seperate the two than most of our older troops.

Okay..I was beginning to like ya...but you are losing credibility when you say that 50% of the troops dont support the President...I have a dispatcher here who has been out of the Air Force for 1 year and she states that you are making a "political estimate" and that it is closer to 70-75% that support the president..(Whom she does not like)

Jeremy
07-12-2006, 12:16 PM
50/50 was for new troops.

Overall it's probably about 80/20. But that depends on where you're at. Combat units might be different from comm units just because they get different types of people.

Truth be told Lamberts, it's really like 20% support fully, 20% don't support fully, and 60% don't care as long the check is in the bank on the 1st and the 15th. That 60% might swing one way or the other depending on the issue, but they try and stay out of politics because it starts arguments that they don't really care about.

But once again, that's just my experience.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-12-2006, 12:36 PM

Overall it's probably about 80/20. But that depends on where you're at. Combat units might be different from comm units just because they get different types of people.

Truth be told Lamberts, it's really like 20% support fully, 20% don't support fully, and 60% don't care as long the check is in the bank on the 1st and the 15th. That 60% might swing one way or the other depending on the issue, but they try and stay out of politics because it starts arguments that they don't really care about.

Again ..you are trying to convince me that 80% is either noncomittal or against the President...Not even CLOSE to the truth....I am seriously hoping that you are just leaning to the FAR left and look at the world through cynical glasses...otherwise you are not being honest.

Jeremy
07-12-2006, 12:46 PM
What I'm telling you is that's my workcenter. Most of the guys in my workcenter don't really care for politics. They enjoy their jobs and do them without much thought to the politics behind it. I've tried to make that clear from the get go.

As far as my leaning, I'm a Demapub. Stuck right in the center. I think Bush is a decent enough guy. But he's allowed himself to be led by too many policy experts and poll takers.

And since it's lunch time for me, let me wrap this up the best way I can.

I don't think you can lump the military all into one group or another. 75% supports the President? Fine, that works for me. But that's not the way it is where I work. Once I leave here and go somewhere else, it's going to be different. You don't have to support the President to do your job. Committment to the core values and to the mission are what's important. We shouldn't care all that much about the politics that drive the mission. Just believe in the mission.

Bottom line: Military members can't put that much thought into politics. We took and oath and we need to honor it no matter what the policies or politics of the President or Congress.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-12-2006, 12:52 PM
What I'm telling you is that's my workcenter. Most of the guys in my workcenter don't really care for politics. They enjoy their jobs and do them without much thought to the politics behind it. I've tried to make that clear from the get go.

As far as my leaning, I'm a Demapub. Stuck right in the center. I think Bush is a decent enough guy. But he's allowed himself to be led by too many policy experts and poll takers.

And since it's lunch time for me, let me wrap this up the best way I can.

I don't think you can lump the military all into one group or another. 75% supports the President? Fine, that works for me. But that's not the way it is where I work. Once I leave here and go somewhere else, it's going to be different. You don't have to support the President to do your job. Committment to the core values and to the mission are what's important. We shouldn't care all that much about the politics that drive the mission. Just believe in the mission.

Bottom line: Military members can't put that much thought into politics. We took and oath and we need to honor it no matter what the policies or politics of the President or Congress.

Fair enough..if you are giving me stats on your workplace..It very well might be true...And I remember well the devotion to the mission and to the brothers you were fighting beside. Good luck and stay safe.

augustashark
07-12-2006, 03:11 PM

I don't give a damn about what guys in your work place feel or don't feel about the president or congress!

My question to you is where do you get your information on the statement above and how do you blame president Bush for this?

Hawk Believer
07-12-2006, 03:48 PM
No trickery here. I really think you'd like it. Here is a synopsis from Amazon -
The largely blue collar citizens of Kansas can be counted upon to be a "red" state in any election, voting solidly Republican and possessing a deep animosity toward the left. This, according to author Thomas Frank, is a pretty self-defeating phenomenon, given that the policies of the Republican Party benefit the wealthy and powerful at the great expense of the average worker. According to Frank, the conservative establishment has tricked Kansans, playing up the emotional touchstones of conservatism and perpetuating a sense of a vast liberal empire out to crush traditional values while barely ever discussing the Republicans' actual economic policies and what they mean to the working class. Thus the pro-life Kansas factory worker who listens to Rush Limbaugh will repeatedly vote for the party that is less likely to protect his safety, less likely to protect his job, and less likely to benefit him economically. To much of America, Kansas is an abstract, "where Dorothy wants to return. Where Superman grew up." But Frank, a native Kansan, separates reality from myth in What's the Matter with Kansas and tells the state's socio-political history from its early days as a hotbed of leftist activism to a state so entrenched in conservatism that the only political division remaining is between the moderate and more-extreme right wings of the same party. Frank, the founding editor of The Baffler and a contributor to Harper's and The Nation, knows the state and its people. He even includes his own history as a young conservative idealist turned disenchanted college Republican, and his first-hand experience, combined with a sharp wit and thorough reasoning, makes his book more credible than the elites of either the left and right who claim to understand Kansas. --John Moe --

3 to be 4
07-12-2006, 04:23 PM
No trickery here. I really think you'd like it. Here is a synopsis from Amazon -

the problem is that maybe true for central Kansas, which i havent experienced yet. all i really know is the suburban part of Kansas outside of Kansas City which is full of new schools, parks, subdivisions, and beautifully planned shopping areas. theres actually more civilization and things to do here than there was in the Boston area. Granted there is more of a Christian influence (or should i say, acceptance) but for me thats a very good thing.
but i wouldnt be surprised if what the author says is true of rural Kansas. In some ways id imagine its the same in Pennsylvania. ive heard that once you get away from the cities it gets pretty conservative. In fact, did you see after the 2004 election there was a map that showed Red and Blue COUNTIES and the Red covered about 85% of the country. pretty interesting stuff. makes me think that where i live in Kansas, in a suburb, is more like Boston,NY, or even Pittsburgh, than it is rural Kansas.

CAH
07-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Of course I'm not in the service (they do have limits, you know) but my take on Bush is that he's an upfront guy, doesn't worry about all the politicians who blast him, does what he thinks is right and goes forward. He went to the U.N. first and presented his case, warned Saddam and gave him a deadline (think 12 years was enough?). When that deadline came, he acted. That I liked.

He knows the liberal media will trash him as well as all the Democrats but he goes on.

Look at what you would have had with Kerry, who wanted to seek advice from France :rolleyes: and give it to the U.N. Of course he would have negotiated with the terrorists. Anyone with half a brain knows you cannot negotiate with dictators or terrorists.

Anyone want to fight about it?:smoker:

Hawk Believer
07-12-2006, 08:06 PM

Here is the most recent poll I could find on the topic.

Approval of the president?s Iraq policy fell 9 percentage points from 2004; a bare majority, 54 percent, now say they view his performance on Iraq as favorable. Support for his overall performance fell 11 points, to 60 percent, among active-duty readers
of the Military Times newspapers. Though support both for President Bush and for the war in Iraq remains significantly higher than in the public as a whole, the drop is likely to add further fuel to the heated debate over Iraq policy. In 2003 and 2004, supporters of the war in Iraq pointed to high approval ratings in the Military Times Poll as a signal that military members were behind President Bush?s the president?s policy.

This part is interesting given the discussion going on:
The mail survey, conducted Nov. 14 through Dec. 23, is the third annual effort by the Military Times to measure the opinions of the active-duty military on political and morale issues. The results should not be read as representative of the military as a whole; the survey?s respondents are on average older, more experienced, more likely to be officers and more career-oriented than the military population. But the numbers are among the best measures of opinion in a difficult-to-survey population. The professional military seems to be lessening in its certainty about the wisdom of the Iraq intervention and the way it has been handled,? said Richard Kohn, a professor of political science at the University of North Carolina who studies civil-military relations. ?This seems to be more and more in keeping with changes in public views, and that?s not surprising.?

Jeremy
07-12-2006, 11:38 PM
My question to you is where do you get your information on the statement above and how do you blame president Bush for this?

Look into the Federal budget to see the numbers.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123011011

Here's a link to force shaping.

And I don't blame the President. It's just frustrating to watch good people walking out the door when we need them the most.

tony hipchest
07-13-2006, 12:17 AM
Anyone want to fight about it?:smoker:

lemme get my labotome and then i'll get back with you.

CowherLover
07-13-2006, 07:59 AM
lemme get my labotome and then i'll get back with you.
:rofl:

3 to be 4
07-13-2006, 08:10 AM
the thing i liked about Hitler is he was an upfront guy, didnt care what his opponants thought, and did what he felt was right

* the great thing about being Jewish (who happens to accept Christ as my savior) is that I can make Hitler jokes

augustashark
07-13-2006, 09:46 AM
the thing i liked about Hitler is he was an upfront guy, didnt care what his opponants thought, and did what he felt was right

* the great thing about being Jewish (who happens to accept Christ as my savior) is that I can make Hitler jokes

Not True!

3 to be 4
07-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Not True!

Hitler wasnt an upfront guy?

CAH
07-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Hitler wasnt an upfront guy?
Of course not. He talked out of both sides of his mouth so often that he needed 2 pacifiers.