PDA

View Full Version : Todd Haley's offense?

rthorsn
02-07-2012, 03:04 PM
I assume he wants to run the ball since we "fired" Bruce for not running it (Let me know if I am wrong there) but does Haley use a fullback in his offense? I know for the Chiefs Haley had Leron McClain but I am not sure he is a Dan Kreider like fullback.

Any clue what we are going to be looking at?

PhantomJB93
02-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Yeah he does. Ironically you mentioned Kreider, Dan Kreider is who was brought in to Arizona when Haley became OC. Whiz may have had something to do with that but Haley used him. And of course LeRon was brought in to KC, who while I personally dont care for him much as a person (has always just seemed like an arrogant loudmouth since his Baltimore days), he is one of the best fullbacks in the league.

If not by the 2012 season, by 2013 I would surely expect us to be incorporating a fullback if Haley is still here.

Bayz101
02-07-2012, 03:09 PM
What ever happened to Frank Summers??

rthorsn
02-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Last I knew he got waived and picked up by the Chargers.

I was unaware of LeRon was that good. I guess I just just remember him when he was really just running the ball in Baltimore. I was never a fan of his either. So I guess that explains why I never gave him much attention. Thanks for helping me out. Very pumped to have a FB again.

Bayz101
02-07-2012, 03:16 PM
We picked him up in round five of the '09 draft. Figured he'd work out, coach Wilson was impressed.

Edman
02-07-2012, 03:22 PM
We picked him up in round five of the '09 draft. Figured he'd work out, coach Wilson was impressed.

We also had Henry Hynoski (SB contributor for the G-Men) here, we could've had either him or Summers. They could've worked out here. But you see, we had ONE single issue...

"There's no Fullback in MY Offense."

Bayz101
02-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Dammit Bruce...

Rockonsteel
02-07-2012, 03:31 PM
We also had Henry Hynoski (SB contributor for the G-Men) here, we could've had either him or Summers. They could've worked out here. But you see, we had ONE single issue...

Not to mention John Kuhn. God, I'm glad Arians is gone.

Rockon

GMU Steeler
02-07-2012, 03:34 PM
It will be good to have the FB back in the offense. That was one of my beefs with Arians. Too short sighted to see its effectiveness in the offense. Too bad we didn't get Hynoski- he looks like a good one.

ggoldman
02-07-2012, 03:57 PM
It doesn't mention us ever having Hynoski on Wikipedia

PhantomJB93
02-07-2012, 04:01 PM

We brought him in when he was an undrafted rookie last year but didn't sign him, then the Giants signed him later.

6RingsAndCounting
02-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Why the hell did we waste a draft pick on Summers with Arians as our OC

Bayz101
02-07-2012, 04:10 PM

Good question. It surely doesn't make any sense.

6RingsAndCounting
02-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Good question. It surely doesn't make any sense.

At least pick a lineman, we knew Mr. Ariass wasn't going to use a fullback.

Bayz101
02-07-2012, 04:16 PM
At least pick a lineman, we knew Mr. Ariass wasn't going to use a fullback.

Kirby Wilson pushed for him.

GMU Steeler
02-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Kirby Wilson pushed for him.

Yeah I just saw that on wiki. And apparently he was our FB. Shame he didn't work out. Loved his nickname. Made me think of Ferrell in Old School.

6RingsAndCounting
02-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Yeah I just saw that on wiki. And apparently he was our FB. Shame he didn't work out. Loved his nickname. Made me think of Ferrell in Old School.

Too bad we didn't have an OC

GMU Steeler
02-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Too bad we didn't have an OC

Yeah, he's gone now though thankfully.

Bayz101
02-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Frank "the tank" Summers.

Bayz101
02-07-2012, 04:25 PM
I'd love to have Mike Tolbert of the Chargers on the Steelers, he's a FA this year.

Edman
02-07-2012, 04:42 PM

Kirby Wilson (RB Coach) liked him, and he liked Summers when he came in.

But Summers (A True Fullback) couldn't fit in because of "Fullback is Dead" Airhead. Airhead liked David Johnson (Psuedo FB/TE who does neither job well) instead, and we know useful he turned out to be.

No Fullback regardless of blocking/recieving/running talent would waste their time coming to Pittsburgh as long as Airhead was running the Offense. Hopefully that changes now that he's gone.

SteelKid212
02-07-2012, 05:07 PM

of course,.... brucie :mad:

it all makes sense now! :banging:

:chuckle:

but seriously so dam glad he is gone!

Bayz101
02-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Feel bad for the Colts. Wait---No I don't.

Edman
02-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Feel bad for the Colts. Wait---No I don't.

They'll love him at first. Arians will have some early success (Like his first season here in 2007), but it's all downhill from there.

Heeeeeeeath
02-07-2012, 06:48 PM
What to expect from Todd Haley's offense? A few big differences right away from the Arians offense:

1. No dumb bubble screens.
2. Use of the Fullback and as a result
3. More I-Formation/Hopefully some I-Formation3 WR sets
4. Attempts to run the ball out of 3 and 4 receiver sets. If you can do this, you will have a potent offense (Haley's Cards, Colts with Edgerin James, Saints this year, etc...)
5. Haley likes big targets in the red zone (Fitz, Boldin, Bowe, Moeaki). That means look for Heeeeeeath to be more heavily targeted in the red zone in the coming years, which can only be a good thing for us.

There are a lot more differences that you will see right away... To be honest, the offense isn't going to look very similar to Arians' at all. I can't anticipate/summarize/predict all of the changes, though.

tony hipchest
02-07-2012, 10:33 PM
haleys offense will have one thing that bruce arians offense has never, ever, EVER EVfing EVER had and that is common sense.

when everything says to pass the ball and devise a gameplan around passing the ball, haley has proven he can do that.

when everything says to run the ball and devise a gameplan around running the ball, haley has proven he can do that.

arians devises a gameplan by pulling a finger out of his ass, sniffing it, and then trying guess which way the wind DOESNT blow to trick the trees. :screwy:

Steeltownbeatdown12
02-08-2012, 12:08 AM
Its time for Ben to buckle down and get rid of the ball a lot quicker. We need to install a short passing game especially inside the 20 yard line because our deep routes are useless in that area of the field and that's why we were bad in red zone efficiency. Hopefully will be able to get a few stud offensive lineman in the draft to help with the short passing game and run game as well.

Riddle_Of_Steel
02-08-2012, 12:34 AM
arians devises a gameplan by pulling a finger out of his ass, sniffing it, and then trying guess which way the wind DOESNT blow to trick the trees.

You almost made me choke on my root beer....LMFAO

Kingmagyar
02-08-2012, 01:39 AM
I'd say expect a Fullback and hopefully one that is a real good pass catcher as well to make him a double threat. There are a few in this year's draft.

Frank Summers struggled with injuries and seemed to whiff on a lot of blocks when I did see him play in the preseason. The guy was actually a pretty good runner in college as was McClain in the pros. These guys really have to make a commitment to be a head smasher and abandon their past glory days of running the ball. (i.e. don't take a running back and try to make him a fullback like a John Clay, draft a Fullback)

Also look for a tall physical receiver. We have great smaller quick guys, but as we saw in the playoffs the window is so much bigger with the big boys out there. Teams like the Saints, Giants, & Packers really place that ball high where only their guys can get a hand on it. (like playing basketball out there)

plenewken
02-08-2012, 06:19 AM
Teams like the Saints, Giants, & Packers really place that ball high where only their guys can get a hand on it. (like playing basketball out there)

Yep. That's why guys like Graham, Hernandez and Gates who played basketball in college became very productive TEs.

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 07:37 AM
haleys offense will have one thing that bruce arians offense has never, ever, EVER EVfing EVER had and that is common sense.

when everything says to pass the ball and devise a gameplan around passing the ball, haley has proven he can do that.

when everything says to run the ball and devise a gameplan around running the ball, haley has proven he can do that.

arians devises a gameplan by pulling a finger out of his ass, sniffing it, and then trying guess which way the wind DOESNT blow to trick the trees. :screwy:

Lmao Rep points for that :rofl:

Heeeeeeeath
02-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Two other things worth noting that I left out of my previous post:

1. Haley will give Ben plenty of chances to run the no huddle, which, as we know, usually leads to good drives.
2. Don't forget that Haley served under Whisenhunt in Arizona. I don't think Ben will have much difficulty at all learning a new playbook, because a lot of it will already be familiar to him.

I am very excited about this hire. I see very good things in the future for our offense.

60_MINUTES
02-08-2012, 10:46 AM

Might be the funniest thing I read for a while.... sad thing is I think it may be true....lol...

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-08-2012, 12:45 PM

Even Rob Lowe knows that wikipedia isnt always accurate.

Fire Arians
02-08-2012, 01:17 PM
haley makes good use of his players' strengths. arians on the other hand, played his players according to the scheme he envisioned, rather than adjusting the scheme to what his players were actually good at.

todd haley also likes his tight ends a lot. expect to see heath miller get more targets this year. jury is out to see what happens to wes saunders. really disappointed with what happened to him, i thought he was our future TE

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-08-2012, 01:35 PM
haley makes good use of his players' strengths. arians on the other hand, played his players according to the scheme he envisioned, rather than adjusting the scheme to what his players were actually good at.

todd haley also likes his tight ends a lot. expect to see heath miller get more targets this year. jury is out to see what happens to wes saunders. really disappointed with what happened to him, i thought he was our future TE

I think they will retain Saunders and he will be a productive receiver in the offense. Not sure if Haley will employ a FB or stay with the H back, but we may see a lead blocker more often.

I think the wildcard is gonna be Barron Batch. He might be a key part on 3rd downs if he is healthy and can make the 53.

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 01:45 PM
We'll retain Saunders, Batch will be second string back behind Mendy until he's healthy. My guesses.

BKAnthem
02-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Saunders better hope and pray some FA or late round TE doesn't catch the coaches and Colberts eye...or he's done

FrancoLambert
02-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Anything that indicates change will be welcome, as long as it includes ridding us of David "Useless" Johnson.