PDA

View Full Version : Steelers make right move with Todd Haley

mesaSteeler
02-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Steelers make right move with Todd Haley
By Jamison Hensley
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/print?id=53625
The Pittsburgh Steelers officially announced the hiring of Todd Haley as their offensive coordinator.

Here are three reasons why this was the best possible move for the Steelers:

1. Familiarity. Many assumed the Steelers were going to promote from within like they've done in the past. But Haley is a part of the Steelers' family in many respects, which is why I like this addition so much.

Haley was the offensive coordinator for two seasons (2007-08) in Arizona under Ken Whisenhunt, who was Ben Roethlisberger's first offensive coordinator. So, Haley can bring a system that should lead to a seamless transition for the Pittsburgh quarterback.

2. Flexibility. Haley's track record shows he can adapt his system to the personnel, which is the best compliment you can give an offensive coordinator. In Arizona, he capitalized on Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald to produce a top-five passing attack for two years.

When he became head coach in Kansas City, Haley oversaw the NFL's top-ranked running game in 2010 with Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones. I'm really intrigued in seeing what Haley can do with Steelers receivers Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown.

3. Attitude. Haley replaces Bruce Arians, who is considered a player's coach. Arians was really close with Roethlisberger. I believe a player's coach can get his team to play hard for him, but it doesn't always work in every situation.

When the Steelers decided to replace Arians, they should go to the other extreme. That's what they did with Haley, who has been known to yell at players and likes it when they yell back. Last year, Haley and quarterback Matt Cassel had to be separated by fullback Le'Ron McClain during a sideline argument. This is the type of edge that this Steelers offense needs.

“I am excited about the opportunity to come back home and work for a tremendous organization,” Haley said after being announced as Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator. “It is an honor to work with the Rooney family and coach [Mike] Tomlin and continue the success that has become synonymous with the Steelers. My father [former Steelers director of player personnel Dick Haley] has so many fond memories both from his playing days and his time in the personnel department with the team, and I look forward to helping bring more championships to Pittsburgh and to being a part of one of the storied franchises in the NFL.”

Lady Steel
02-07-2012, 10:43 PM
When the Steelers decided to replace Arians, they should go to the other extreme. That's what they did with Haley, who has been known to yell at players and likes it when they yell back. Last year, Haley and quarterback Matt Cassel had to be separated by fullback Le'Ron McClain during a sideline argument. This is the type of edge that this Steelers offense needs.

This is going to be better than Bill Cowher's spit! :applaudit:

He's right. Someone has to do something to get our offense jacked up. :tt:

wyn50
02-07-2012, 10:51 PM
I would think the Rooney and or Tomlin will tell him to tone it down a little but not a lot. He was probably brought in to ruffle some feathers and wake up some players. Arian did not seem to push his players. He was a little to calm and complaisant. Some young players need to have a coach like Haley. Hope he does well. I am getting excited for the season to start already.

sharkweek
02-08-2012, 03:36 AM
Is it September yet? :P

wyn50
02-09-2012, 01:59 AM
I wish. :thumbsup: