PDA

View Full Version : Do we really want Redman to start?

6RingsAndCounting
02-08-2012, 12:16 AM
Before I get into this, I just want to say that I personally do think that he should start over Mendy next year, I think he has proven himself enough to get a chance.

But.... I've heard many Steelers fans saying that they would like Redman to start over Mendenhall next year. I'm wondering a reason for this is personal against Mendenhall, or if you guys really believe that Redman is the better back.

I understand that Mendenhall rubbed a lot of people the wrong way with his 9/11 comments, which I personally didn't have a problem with. I just thought he was trying to stir up conversation, which if you read his other tweets, he enjoyed starting a debate between his followers. Sometimes I do wonder if some Steelers fans just want Redman to start because they flat out hate Mendenhall.

My reasoning for wanting Redman is due to the way he ran compared to Mendy this year, I felt like Redman ran a lot harder and didn't dance before he met the hole. I'm also worried that Rashard's knee won't be ready by week 1.

I just want to get a feel for where some of the fans stand on this?

jiminpa
02-08-2012, 12:36 AM
Considering that there haven't been holes for Mendenhall to hit, by design, it's really hard to know what he will do assuming Todd Haley doesn't set out to ruin his career, the way Arians was.

ricardisimo
02-08-2012, 12:49 AM
Redman will have to start next year, no choice in the matter. ACLs take a while to really get back to 100%. Rashard will play next year, but he won't have that suddenness and glide that we've all come to expect, at least not until the following year, when his contract has expired and some other team signs him.

ggoldman
02-08-2012, 12:52 AM
It took Baron Batch this long to heal from his ACL. I'm not expecting Mendy to be back until at least Week 5 or 6

tony hipchest
02-08-2012, 12:55 AM
i think people have hated mendenhall (or thought he was soft) long before his tweets or alleged fumble problems, or perceived dancing in the hole, becaus he is kinda worldly, aloof, well spoken, and highly inteligent, who enjoys dance classes, and writing poetry.

i would say many steelerfans have as much hatred towards him as they do rickey williams, regardless of what numbers they do, or are capable of putting up.

regardless, he is coming of a severe knee injury and there is no telling how he will be in the future. maybe he is incapable of spin moves and will actually be a better back and i bet steelerfans would hat on him just the same.

ricardisimo
02-08-2012, 12:57 AM
It took Baron Batch this long to heal from his ACL. I'm not expecting Mendy to be back until at least Week 5 or 6
Even Batch won't be 100% at season's start. Rashard... forget about it. Like I said, he'll play, but he won't be starter-worthy.
i think people have hated mendenhall (or thought he was soft) long before his tweets or alleged fumble problems, or perceived dancing in the hole, becaus he is kinda worldly, aloof, well spoken, and highly inteligent, who enjoys dance classes, and writing poetry.

i would say many steelerfans have as much hatred towards him as they do rickey williams, regardless of what numbers they do, or are capable of putting up.

regardless, he is coming of a severe knee injury and there is no telling how he will be in the future. maybe he is incapable of spin moves and will actually be a better back and i bet steelerfans would hat on him just the same.
True, that.

OX1947
02-08-2012, 04:16 AM
Before I get into this, I just want to say that I personally do think that he should start over Mendy next year, I think he has proven himself enough to get a chance.

But.... I've heard many Steelers fans saying that they would like Redman to start over Mendenhall next year. I'm wondering a reason for this is personal against Mendenhall, or if you guys really believe that Redman is the better back.

I understand that Mendenhall rubbed a lot of people the wrong way with his 9/11 comments, which I personally didn't have a problem with. I just thought he was trying to stir up conversation, which if you read his other tweets, he enjoyed starting a debate between his followers. Sometimes I do wonder if some Steelers fans just want Redman to start because they flat out hate Mendenhall.

My reasoning for wanting Redman is due to the way he ran compared to Mendy this year, I felt like Redman ran a lot harder and didn't dance before he met the hole. I'm also worried that Rashard's knee won't be ready by week 1.

I just want to get a feel for where some of the fans stand on this?

I dont think his tweets had anything to do with it. Mendenhall is a soft running back. And when a guy is put together the way he is, and isn't running north and south, it bothers you. Brandon Jacobs is the same way. The rift with him and red checks was he tip toes too much, same with Mendenhall. We all saw Redman in the Denver game against a good D, he ran north and south and was very effective. Maybe a full back can change things, I hope they can get a full back in the offense next year, it would really help. And for god sakes, cut David Johnson or put him on the practice squad. He cant block or catch the ****ing ball, how the hell is this guy a starter?!

ZiggyHeyward
02-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Our O-line (other then Pouncey) has been pathetic since Faneca left especially the guard play there are no holes for Mendenhall to run through every running play the o-line gets pushed into the backfield and Mendy is tackled before he can even look for a hole which isn't there anyway. Redman has had more success creating something out of nothing but with the edition of Haley and hopefully a new guard I think Mendenhall can get back on track. I also wouldn't count out BB or Clay both should have a chance to carve out a roll in Haley's running attack.

EbonySteel86
02-08-2012, 07:10 AM
Redman ran behind this same line and averaged 7 yards a carry....START HIM!!!

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-08-2012, 07:20 AM
I hope they can get a full back in the offense next year, it would really help. And for god sakes, cut David Johnson or put him on the practice squad. He cant block or catch the ****ing ball, how the hell is this guy a starter?!

but if DJ catches the ball good luck bringing him down

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Mendenhall won't be back until early November at the earliest, and he won't even be at full strength then. Hell, he'll probably be waiting until week 13 before he's given the chance to play. Redman will have to start next year, and I guess we'll see if he's ready then.

ebsteelers
02-08-2012, 08:50 AM
i dont dislike mendy or anything just hate drafting an rb so damn high,

we could get the same production of redman, clay, batch, and dwyer .. is moore defintely gone? i know in that back field we would obviously more speed, but we could get a speed back cheaper in fa or the draft then mendy

and use that first round money in areas of much more need..

obviously i know mendy isnt going anywhere...

but i prefer redman starts and if mendy gets healthy by mid year bring him in.

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 08:56 AM
It'll be Redman and Batch leading the squad next year until Mendy's back in November/December at running strength. Batch is a powerful speed back himself, so we'll be fine.

GMU Steeler
02-08-2012, 08:59 AM
I don't hate or even dislike Mendenhall. However, I do like Redman's style better for our offense. It's nothing personal against Rashard who I hope can recover from his injury. I think the RB situation will be fine next w/o Mendenhall 100%- It's not just Redman but Batch, Dwyer, Clay, all look like they could play a role in the offense. All are young guys too with not much millage.

ebsteelers
02-08-2012, 08:59 AM
right... teams run through backs like people run thru underwear..

i wouldnt mind having 4 backs to use and redman as the feature back
he can catch, gets tough yards, runs hard,

clay is powerful

batch has some speed, and can catch the ball and pass blocks... how is his knee coming along?
anyone have his blog still?

dwyer: got some speed if he keeps his wait down

Darkstorm05
02-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Where are these 7,8,9+ YPC averages for Redman coming from? When I look him up, I see the following...

2010 52 Att, 247yds, 4.8avg
2011 110att, 479yds, 4.4avg

That's only slightly above Mendenhalls numbers the last couple years(3.9, 4.1). Given that Redman is the short yardage guy who gets the ball on the "Must gain yards", shouldn't he be way above Mendenhalls numbers? I'm just really not that impressed with him, as others here seem to be. Let him post a 1000 yard season, and I'll reconsider. I guess we'll find out this coming year.

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Where are these 7,8,9+ YPC averages for Redman coming from? When I look him up, I see the following...

That's only slightly above Mendenhalls numbers the last couple years(3.9, 4.1). Given that Redman is the short yardage guy who gets the ball on the "Must gain yards", shouldn't he be way above Mendenhalls numbers? I'm just really not that impressed with him, as others here seem to be. Let him post a 1000 yard season, and I'll reconsider. I guess we'll find out this coming year.

Regardless of his stats, he posted a 100+ yard game for us against the Broncos this postseason. That's something Mendenhall's had trouble doing in the playoffs altogether, and even this entire season. Bruce Arians retarded run up the middle twice in a row gameplan didn't help either back.

ebsteelers
02-08-2012, 09:11 AM

if anything redman would be way below mendys numbers....

if its 3rd and inches or 4th and 1 and he only gets the 1 yard when the line knows its coming, its yards per carry will be lower than mendy

im not really sure how your not impressed with him? but to each is own i guess

Darkstorm05
02-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Impressive compared to Mendenhall? Mendy had an 1,100 yard season, then 1,200, and this past year when he "Sucked" put up 928 in 15 games, even though he left injured early against the Browns. So, what exactly has he done to earn the hate, and calling for a guy who has yet to prove he can even start every game without breaking down?

Again, if Redman rushes for 1000+ yards this year, I'll reconsider.

Edman
02-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Redman should be the chief back with Mendenhall as the Change of Pace. I never understood why we never ran a two-headed monster like the Rats or other teams do. Arians always talked of Pony Backfields and stuff, but it never came to fruition. Just kept seeing the same ol' crap year after year.

Redman is a better back for this type of O-Line. Every time he has touched the ball he gets positive yardage. He falls forward and keeps this legs moving. He doesn't get the boom play, but he gets steady yards. Mendenhall is the Arians Offense distilled in a RB. Big Boom Plays but never consistent or steady. Mendenhall is better served as a screen back/ guy in space/ Marshall Faulk-Type.

Redman goes 3, 4, 2, 3, 5, 2....

Mendenhall is 2, 3. No Gain, -2, 1, then busts a 40 yard run.

I just hope Mendenhall isn't run down enough to cease being effective.

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 09:37 AM
As far as i'm concerned, 1,000+ yard season aren't NEARLY as impressive as they once more. They're expected out of a starting back, not encouraged. The runningback great's we're averaging 1,000+ yard season with just 14 games to accomplish it.

6RingsAndCounting
02-08-2012, 09:56 AM
As far as i'm concerned, 1,000+ yard season aren't NEARLY as impressive as they once more. They're expected out of a starting back, not encouraged. The runningback great's we're averaging 1,000+ yard season with just 14 games to accomplish it.

1000 yards is only 64 yards per game. That's really not impressive.

ebsteelers
02-08-2012, 09:59 AM
exactly 60-70 yards a game for over 1000... yay for that

6RingsAndCounting
02-08-2012, 10:05 AM
exactly 60-70 yards a game for over 1000... yay for that

The bad part is, Mendenhall had 6 games where he had 49 yards and below.

Darkstorm05
02-08-2012, 10:05 AM
If YPC and single game stats are what we're all about, where's the love for Dwyer? He wasn't even the starter against the Titans but put up 107 yards, and has a career 6.0 YPC?

GMU Steeler
02-08-2012, 10:14 AM
If YPC and single game stats are what we're all about, where's the love for Dwyer? He wasn't even the starter against the Titans but put up 107 yards, and has a career 6.0 YPC?

I want to see Dwyer get some tosses too but that's a small sample size if you're going to point to his YPC. Not that I am unimpressed with him since I think he has a role to play. Here's why I like Redman. I like that he fights for the extra yard and I think is the better blocker too. As I said I don't dislike Mendenhall but he does have a tough injury to recover from and a little competition between him and Red I think would be good for both guys.

6RingsAndCounting
02-08-2012, 10:16 AM

Dwyer also had a 76 yard run an a slow white guy could have ran through that hole. I do want to see him get a ball a little more though

Rotorhead
02-08-2012, 10:19 AM
I think mendy's biggest issue was the system, he would have been great with a FB. BA never got him going because of this and our OL woes. Redman is a better downhill runner than mendy, always has been, so he was better for our system. Mendy is the better runningback for sure, but just not right for our system. I was one of the start redman ppl all along, but if Haley gets a FB then I want us to keep Mendy. Unfortunately, we may never what Mendy was fully capable of in a Steeler uniform due to his injury and contract timing. I am sure we will be fine with wihatever RBs we get due to our passing game.

Darkstorm05
02-08-2012, 10:23 AM
I guess I just see it as a possible waste of a good back, not to mention the high round draft pick. However, it really doesn't matter this coming year, as he injured his ACL, which pretty much ends the argument. The one move I do want to see, however, is Moore getting the boot. Redundant.

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 10:23 AM

He had a 76 yard run on his first attempt, if i'm not mistaken. From that point he ran in ten more times and only gathered 31 yards. You could say the same about Jon Clay, one career rush for ten yards against the Rams. Inflation really masks a lot.

GMU Steeler
02-08-2012, 10:25 AM
I guess I just see it as a possible waste of a good back, not to mention the high round draft pick. However, it really doesn't matter this coming year, as he injured his ACL, which pretty much ends the argument. The one move I do want to see, however, is Moore getting the boot. Redundant.

Yeah I think Moore is gone. And honest I think he would have been gone if Baron Batch hadn't gotten hurt. Heard he was looking really good at training camp but then unfortunately got hurt.

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 10:25 AM
That makes John Clay's career average at 10.0 yards per carry. Let's make him starter guys!

:chuckle:

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Yeah I think Moore is gone. And honest I think he would have been gone if Baron Batch hadn't gotten hurt. Heard he was looking really good at training camp but then unfortunately got hurt.

Batch is a monster of a back, and he has great character. I'd love to see him have success coming off the ACL. As for Moore, he's likely gone.

Rotorhead
02-08-2012, 10:27 AM
One more point, the YPC stat needs a bit of context, the reason most liked Redman over Mendy is because his (an ex as I don't know the ending YPC for them) 5 YPC avg consisted of mostly 4-7 yard runs and a few longer runs where Mendy had several longer runs but wasn't consistently moving the chains like Redman. I will take shorter runs with fewer losses that keep drives alive than several drive killing losses with a few long runs. Red man was just more consistently getting positive yards over Mendy even if they had the same YPC. Have to take that stat into context. For instance I will take 10 runs of 10 yds over 9 runs of 1 yd and one of 91 yds any day. Same YPC, one is more effective than the other.

GMU Steeler
02-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Batch is a monster of a back, and he has great character. I'd love to see him have success coming off the ACL. As for Moore, he's likely gone.

I remember reading his blog. Seemed like a real down to earth guy. As I recall he had some good music on there too.

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 10:33 AM
I remember reading his blog. Seemed like a real down to earth guy. As I recall he had some good music on there too.

Definitely. He's grateful for what he has and he's up to the challenges that are presented to him. That's more than I can say about a lot of people on this team. Discipline is going to be necessary this off-season, i'm just hoping the media doesn't pick it up and blow things out of proportion. That's how season are ruined.

Do you remember when Goodell gave an interview to a magazine just day's before the Super Bowl talking about how Ben's team mate's disliked him? It's amazing how quickly a team can be derailed by the media and lockeroom issues, just look at the jets.

GMU Steeler
02-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Definitely. He's grateful for what he has and he's up to the challenges that are presented to him. That's more than I can say about a lot of people on this team. Discipline is going to be necessary this off-season, i'm just hoping the media doesn't pick it up and blow things out of proportion. That's how season are ruined.

Do you remember when Goodell gave an interview to a magazine just day's before the Super Bowl talking about how Ben's team mate's disliked him? It's amazing how quickly a team can be derailed by the media and lockeroom issues, just look at the jets.

Yep, totally. He seems to realize he's really fortunate to have an opportunity to play in the NFL. Real humility. Yeah I remember Goodell doing that. What a dick move. I think this year's Jets let themselves get ruined. All those egos with a big ego at the top and it finally blew up in their faces. That's one reason I like Tomlin. A coach like Ryan tries to make the team about him but Tomlin doesn't.

StainlessStill
02-08-2012, 10:41 AM
I can barely type my thoughts givin' how our offensive weapons will be used TO THEIR STRENGTH that I'm so exited for this Haley-led direction! If you look at what Haley did with K.C, he used a good portion of Charles and Thomas as one of the league's most hard-nosed tandem. I think if we do go with a more traditional fullback and split caries between Mendenhall and Redman (getting Mendenhall involved more in the passing game could be a HUGE plus) then I think those two talents could be the best 1-2 punch in the entire NFL and we will USE it to our advantage and get the best of both backs. Haley isn't retarded like Arians. He knows we have the likes of Ben, Mendenhall, Redman, Heath, Brown, Wallace, Ward and Sanders. If we resign Cotchery, we may be that dominant team that scores 34 points a game and that #1 defense will be fresh and actually DOMINATE without worrying about carrying the team for 16+ games.

Imagine that. It's possible..:drink:

jiminpa
02-08-2012, 10:57 AM
To have a problem with Mendenhall's total yardage is just ridiculous. He averaged, what, 10 carries a game, and most of those drawn to go right to 3 unblocked linebackers. Mendenhall's biggest problem, IMO, is that he never got a chance to do anything, but managed to anyway.

EbonySteel86
02-08-2012, 10:58 AM
I think mendy's biggest issue was the system, he would have been great with a FB. BA never got him going because of this and our OL woes. Redman is a better downhill runner than mendy, always has been, so he was better for our system. Mendy is the better runningback for sure, but just not right for our system. I was one of the start redman ppl all along, but if Haley gets a FB then I want us to keep Mendy. Unfortunately, we may never what Mendy was fully capable of in a Steeler uniform due to his injury and contract timing. I am sure we will be fine with wihatever RBs we get due to our passing game.

Now I do agree with this. Give Mendy a FB, and have the line practice run plays more then once a week, and you got yourself a 1300/1500 yard rusher. Redman is such a punishing style runner, and I for one miss that.

GMU Steeler
02-08-2012, 11:00 AM
To have a problem with Mendenhall's total yardage is just ridiculous. He averaged, what, 10 carries a game, and most of those drawn to go right to 3 unblocked linebackers. Mendenhall's biggest problem, IMO, is that he never got a chance to do anything, but managed to anyway.

Actually he only had under 10 carries once the whole season. He needed to be utilized better though. No arguments there.

LVSteelersfan
02-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Arians sucks. He needs to be fired. ; ) I can't wait to see the Colts implode under his direction.

Fire Arians
02-08-2012, 01:39 PM
i prefer running backs by committee which haley has always been good at.

we can call it the method man & red man duo lol

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 01:42 PM
It'll be Redman and Batch most of next year, and i'm completely fine with that.

DanRooney
02-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Redman should be the chief back with Mendenhall as the Change of Pace. I never understood why we never ran a two-headed monster like the Rats or other teams do. Arians always talked of Pony Backfields and stuff, but it never came to fruition. Just kept seeing the same ol' crap year after year.

Redman is a better back for this type of O-Line. Every time he has touched the ball he gets positive yardage. He falls forward and keeps this legs moving. He doesn't get the boom play, but he gets steady yards. Mendenhall is the Arians Offense distilled in a RB. Big Boom Plays but never consistent or steady. Mendenhall is better served as a screen back/ guy in space/ Marshall Faulk-Type.

Redman goes 3, 4, 2, 3, 5, 2....

Mendenhall is 2, 3. No Gain, -2, 1, then busts a 40 yard run.

I just hope Mendenhall isn't run down enough to cease being effective.

That's a misconception about Mendenhall. When was the last time he broke a 40+ yarder for the touchdown? Atlanta Falcons a year and a half ago? He has the threat to break one but never does. He ran really poor this year.

StainlessStill
02-08-2012, 01:54 PM
That's a misconception about Mendenhall. When was the last time he broke a 40+ yarder for the touchdown? Atlanta Falcons a year and a half ago? He has the threat to break one but never does. He ran really poor this year.

Mendenhall needs to be sprung. Running behind a behemoth FB could really catapult Mendenhall's strength's as a runner, which is getting to the second level. I think we're on our way to one helluva interesting season. This could be the year the offense wins games for us and our defense simply sits back and remains fresh. Scary thought for the NFL.

Fire Arians
02-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Mendenhall needs to be sprung. Running behind a behemoth FB could really catapult Mendenhall's strength's as a runner, which is getting to the second level. I think we're on our way to one helluva interesting season. This could be the year the offense wins games for us and our defense simply sits back and remains fresh. Scary thought for the NFL.

a lot of great running backs relied on their fullbacks to make them great. bettis had the bus driver, and emmitt smith had moose johnston. why not give mendenhall a fullback? of course arians wouldn't, but I'm sure him following a lead blocker will get rid of that indecisiveness he has when running from single back formation.

ebsteelers
02-08-2012, 01:59 PM
i wonder if the torn acl, will make him be a one cut and go guy...

and pounding it more?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-08-2012, 02:11 PM
I hope Mendenhall is healthy in time for the start of the season. He has the potential to get to the edge and run away from tacklers, where Redman does not. I think either can start, but Redman is more of a plodder and doesnt have the burst.

I look forward to seeing Mendenhall, Redman and hopefull Batch excel behind a lead blocker. The question is where does that leave Dwyer and Clay?

Fire Arians
02-08-2012, 02:13 PM
I hope Mendenhall is healthy in time for the start of the season. He has the potential to get to the edge and run away from tacklers, where Redman does not. I think either can start, but Redman is more of a plodder and doesnt have the burst.

I look forward to seeing Mendenhall, Redman and hopefull Batch excel behind a lead blocker. The question is where does that leave Dwyer and Clay?

wasn't dwyer a fullback at GA tech? They may move him there.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
wasn't dwyer a fullback at GA tech? They may move him there.

Ga Tech ran an option offense that Paul Johnson brought from Navy. The FB isnt a real blocking FB like one would employ in the NFL, but more like the FB in a wishbone offense.

Dwyer is a worse blocker than Carey Davis was. My guess is that Haley either stays with Johnson as the H back or they draft somebody like Bradie Ewing late in the draft.

Edman
02-08-2012, 02:43 PM

Mendy will break a big run on occasion. He has in the past even if has run poorly in 2011.

Mendenhall doesn't even have to break a long TD run. The fact is that he doesn't get consistent yardage like Redman does. A runner who gets consistent yards does more for an offense than one that could break a really long run, but do nothing much else otherwise. Redman is a minivan. Mendenhall is the fast but inefficient sports car.

Isn't it a little odd that the first time in 2011 where Isaac Redman replaced Mendenhall, our Offense sprung to life and wasn't so disjointed (Tennesee game)? Because Redman didn't put the Steelers in long yardage situations. Of course, Mendenhall took over RB duties after that game and the Offense went back to sleep.

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 02:43 PM
We'll probably sign a free-agent FB or draft one with one of our three seventh round picks.

Darkstorm05
02-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Isn't it a little odd that the first time in 2011 where Isaac Redman replaced Mendenhall, our Offense sprung to life and wasn't so disjointed (Tennesee game)? Because Redman didn't put the Steelers in long yardage situations. Of course, Mendenhall took over RB duties after that game and the Offense went back to sleep.

Redman Vs Titans 2011 - 15 attempts for 49 yards. As I pointed out earlier, Dwyer had a breakout game. I got blasted for not seeing the awesomeness that is Redman, though.

Again, I'm just not impressed yet. Hoping he'll prove me wrong with a full season of starts, but this isn't really doing it yet.

6RingsAndCounting
02-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Redman Vs Titans 2011 - 15 attempts for 49 yards. As I pointed out earlier, Dwyer had a breakout game. I got blasted for not seeing the awesomeness that is Redman, though.

Again, I'm just not impressed yet. Hoping he'll prove me wrong with a full season of starts, but this isn't really doing it yet.

Redman isn't the type of running back that is going to wow you. He is a solid 4 yards every touch running back, while Mendenhall is more of a risky back like FWP was. Parker would go 1, 2, 1, -2, them bust a 30+ yarder. Mendenhall is more like him, except he doesn't go for the 30+ yarder, he just goes for 10.

ricardisimo
02-08-2012, 03:28 PM

Exactly. People are seeing what they want to see with Redman. He certainly looks and feels more like a "Steelers running back", at least in the post-Foster and Bettis era. Looking and feeling is fine, but it really doesn't mean anything yet.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it was pointless to discuss who was the better back in an Arians offense. Now we might really start to see what we've got. It's just a shame that two of our running backs will be coming in at half-strength.

Or, Haley might turn out to be another pass-happy OC who refuses to mix in the run properly, if only to keep his franchise QB alive... :doh:

6RingsAndCounting
02-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Exactly. People are seeing what they want to see with Redman. He certainly looks and feels more like a "Steelers running back", at least in the post-Foster and Bettis era. Looking and feeling is fine, but it really doesn't mean anything yet.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: it was pointless to discuss who was the better back in an Arians offense. Now we might really start to see what we've got. It's just a shame that two of our running backs will be coming in at half-strength.

Or, Haley might turn out to be another pass-happy OC who refuses to mix in the run properly, if only to keep his franchise QB alive... :doh:

That was my point for starting this thread. Do fans want Redman to start just because of pure hatred for Mendenhall, or do they honestly think he's the better back. Just curious

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-08-2012, 04:25 PM
That was my point for starting this thread. Do fans want Redman to start just because of pure hatred for Mendenhall, or do they honestly think he's the better back. Just curious

On a team that isnt running the ball that well. The backup RB is ALWAYS the most popular guy with fans.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Redman Vs Titans 2011 - 15 attempts for 49 yards. As I pointed out earlier, Dwyer had a breakout game. .

Dwyer had a breakout game?? He had 1 run for 76 yards that he was hardly touched by the defense. The rest of the game he had 10 rushes for 31 yards.

The Mendenhall haters crucify that dude if he has 10 rushes for 31 yards. But they praise Redman for 15 rushes and 49 yards.

Darkstorm05
02-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Dwyer had a breakout game?? He had 1 run for 76 yards that he was hardly touched by the defense. The rest of the game he had 10 rushes for 31 yards.

The Mendenhall haters crucify that dude if he has 10 rushes for 31 yards. But they praise Redman for 15 rushes and 49 yards.

Sounds like you're arguing for Redman there.

Fact: Redman has only had double digit attempts 4 times in the NFL, all of them this past season.

Vs SEA - 10 Att for 49 yards
Vs Ten - 15 Att for 49 yards
Vs Cle - 19 Att for 92 yards
Vs Den - 17 Att for 121 yards

These were all games where we were kicking the snot out of losers...except for Denver, when the losers were kicking the snot out of us. He hasn't always done so hot, especially against real D's.

Vs SF - 2 Att for -1 yard
Vs Bal 3 Att for 12 yards, and 3 Att for 2 yards
Vs NE 7 Att for 11 yards...wasn't everyone going on about how NE was the worst D the AFC can offer?
Hell, he went 3 for 6 against the Colts. I could rush for more than 2YPC against the 2011 Colts. Come on.

Again, the argument is pretty much irrelevant now because Mendy blew his ACL, and I'm not saying mendy lit it up this past year, but come on. These aren't starter stats.

Lets also not forget game planning here. Beyond Arians and his crap plays, that is. When playing us, teams were planning against our strengths, obviously. Top priorities were likely "Keep Wallace covered deep", "Don't let Mendy loose to the outside", and "Don't turn your back on Ward". When they got to the part where someone asked "What about Redman up the middle 6 times for 27 yards a game?", that one likely got put in the "Acceptable loss/Oh Well/Who gives a shit?" pile, right along with "What if Ben starts throwing 4 yard passes to Heath?". You can tell it often went down that way, because when Heath went wild against the Pats, Bel-I-Cheat had to call Brady over to inspect his boxers to confirm whether the shock of it had caused him to spontaneously shit out another starting Quarterback.

We were a one dimensional offense. Keep help deep for Wallace, keep Mendy from getting a lane outside, and it was cake from there. I really hope I'm wrong, but come next opening night, the plan will have changed to something like "Stuff Redman and let us kick the snot out of the O-Line and crush Ben when they're forced to pass".

btaylor179
02-08-2012, 05:32 PM
you thought mendy danced around in backfield before his injury wait till afetr he comes back.....cut him and move on...was never impressed w him....IR knows how to hit the hole and gain yards

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-08-2012, 06:48 PM
I think Mendenhall is the better complete RB. Redman is kind of a Richard Huntley, straight ahead, complimentary RB.

Facts are, if you block it up right on the O line, then we can plug in Jon Clay, Tashard Choice, Ben Tate, Barron Batch or any other average skill RB back there and be successful at running the football.

StainlessStill
02-08-2012, 06:52 PM
I like Redman's style, but there is still a big question mark on if he is a premier back in the league for an entire season. He reminds me of a smaller Michael Turner that lacks Turner's speed, but I agree that he is a change of pace type back that will occasionally ruffle the defense's feathers. He also is a nice decoy in running situations showing short yardage red-zone threats (he's a nice dump-off option near the goaline as well, big strong, stalky and always falling forward.)

The one thing that separates Redman's game though, is his blocking style. I believe he's at the top of the list in picking up blitz's and sticking his nose high into defenders chests.

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 06:59 PM
I like Redman's style, but there is still a big question mark on if he is a premier back in the league for an entire season. He reminds me of a smaller Michael Turner that lacks Turner's speed, but I agree that he is a change of pace type back that will occasionally ruffle the defense's feathers. He also is a nice decoy in running situations showing short yardage red-zone threats (he's a nice dump-off option near the goaline as well, big strong, stalky and always falling forward.)

The one thing that separates Redman's game though, is his blocking style. I believe he's at the top of the list in picking up blitz's and sticking his nose high into defenders chests.

I agree with everything, although, Redman's bigger than Turner at 6'0. Turner's 5'9/5'10.

6RingsAndCounting
02-08-2012, 10:06 PM
I think Mendenhall is the better complete RB. Redman is kind of a Richard Huntley, straight ahead, complimentary RB.

Facts are, if you block it up right on the O line, then we can plug in Jon Clay, Tashard Choice, Ben Tate, Barron Batch or any other average skill RB back there and be successful at running the football.

Imagine what Mendenhall or Redman would be like running behind the Texans line. I think I could rush for 1000 yards with them.

jiminpa
02-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Imagine what Mendenhall or Redman would be like running behind the Texans line. I think I could rush for 1000 yards with them.Imaging what they'll be like running behind a line that practices run blocking.

NoFieldFive
02-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Redman has shown to be a more consistent back. I'll take his piling ahead for 3-5 yards a carry over Mendy getting stopped for losses of 3 and 4 yards on regular basis. Then he breaks one for 8 yards after losing 5 yards on the previous 2 carries.

I'll take the steady Redman over the unknown Mendy any day.