PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace for another #1 pick?

Kingmagyar
02-08-2012, 10:57 AM
The Steelers losing Mike Wallace as a restricted free agent may not be all that far fetched from actually happening. With Josh Mcdaniels back in New England and having his best success when Randy Moss was there, isn't a big play receiver the one thing the Patriots offense is missing? Isn't that why you knew they had little chance of beating the Giants at the end because they now have become a dink and dunk offense. Imagine what Brady's accuracy could do with Wallace who was missed by Ben many more times then he was connected with.

The Patriots pick is 31st and they have no chance of finding a Mike Wallace in this year's draft where the first round talent grades actually stop around the early 20's (this being a very weak draft year).

It's almost a no brainer for the Patriots. But what if say the Philadelphia Eagles who might not want to franchise Desean Jackson offer up their 15th overall pick for Wallace?

1st round Draft could look something like this for the Steelers.

15th pick OG David Decastro
24th pick ILB's Burflect, or Hightower, NT Poe, WR Mohamed Sanu or even OG Glenn

or with the patriot's pick:

24th and 31st could snag 2 of these guys
ILB's Burflect, or Hightower, NT Poe, WR Mohamed Sanuor or even OG Glenn as well.

A tall receiver in the 2nd or 3rd could be
Rueben Randle, Dwight Jones, or Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa my personal favorite and I think the Steelers should look at even with Mike Wallace on the roster.

It's Unlikely be get a top 20 out of Wallace but it is very likely the Patriots would give up a 31st pick for him.

MasterOfPuppets
02-08-2012, 11:11 AM
the steelers will put the high tender on wallace. any team that wants him will have a chance at him for a 1st and 3rd.

Fire Arians
02-08-2012, 11:36 AM
i wouldn't give up the 31st pick for wallace. if they tender him, i hope they match any offer from any team who doesn't have a top 15 pick.

i hope they keep wallace though, you don't let your best player on offense just go.

Darkstorm05
02-08-2012, 11:57 AM
He'll be gone one way or another, IMO. Someone will offer the price and take him. However, I won't really miss him. With the rest of our WR crew stepping up, and anticipating Heath being our go to guy to establish the short pass, not to mention Wallace showing glimpses of personality issues, I don't think we'll miss a step.

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 12:11 PM
This isn't Holmes, they'll get the most out of him they can, and that'll be a mid-first rounder and a late third or early fourth rounder. I'm guessing 13-19 round one pick and a 26-32 third rounder or a 1-4 fourth rounder. I doubt we'll get a top ten pick out of him, but anything's possible.

To be quite honest, Rooney said one of there main priorities is to sign him, so this discussion may be invalid altogether, lol. Just speculation at this point.

Darkstorm05
02-08-2012, 12:22 PM
To be quite honest, Rooney said one of there main priorities is to sign him, so this discussion may be invalid altogether, lol. Just speculation at this point.

That's true, but we're also extremely hard against the cap. He could very well be saying that, looking to keep the price high. Obviously he wouldn't come out and say "Fire sale! Someone take this guy off our hands, please...". I just think we're good to go at WR with or without him.

ebsteelers
02-08-2012, 12:52 PM
he makes the other recievers around him better...

i dont see anyone else going 95 to the house, or 81 to the house..

when you got speed guys, you keep speed guys..

he blows the roof off the building with his speed..

and rest of our receiving core?

okay i'll give you miller, brown and sanders

but if we lost wallace after that ?

ward? cant go deep,

crotchery? no guarantee he is even here...

losing wallace would be big ... especially with haley here now...

and one more thing, why on Gods green earth would you trade him to the pats? so he could smoke us in the playoffs i dont think so..

hes a steeler guy, learning to run routes and block.. he'll be here till he loses his wheels

Darkstorm05
02-08-2012, 01:03 PM
and rest of our receiving core?

okay i'll give you miller, brown and sanders

Lets halt right there for a second. We're maybe a bit spoiled as Steeler fans, but really, there are plenty of teams out there that would kill to have just these 3 guys.

On top of that, where do we get the money to pay him? If he returns to form and keeps his play up, he's likely going to be looking for 5+ mil a year. We're 25 mil over cap. We currently have a very strong Defense, a good array of offensive stars, and some guys drawing massive superstar salaries. We can't keep juggling it all. Someone has to go, so who do you choose to part ways with?

We have a history of letting extra WR's cut free, despite their potential.

67 calsteel
02-08-2012, 01:44 PM
sold to eagles.THEN trade next years 1st and this years second to either cinncinati,cleveland(st louis)or new england for their first round pick
DRAFT 15th david decastro
24th hightower
mike adams,glenn,sander or osemele with last first round pi

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Won't happen, but I like it.

67 calsteel
02-08-2012, 01:55 PM
you are right! THIS is what pisses me off about the steelers,they stay with the picks the are given and that is it.We do not attempt these things and when we really want to trade up other teams jack up their asking price because we have not built relationships with other teams

60_MINUTES
02-08-2012, 03:43 PM
The Steelers losing Mike Wallace as a restricted free agent may not be all that far fetched from actually happening. With Josh Mcdaniels back in New England and having his best success when Randy Moss was there, isn't a big play receiver the one thing the Patriots offense is missing? Isn't that why you knew they had little chance of beating the Giants at the end because they now have become a dink and dunk offense. Imagine what Brady's accuracy could do with Wallace who was missed by Ben many more times then he was connected with.

The Patriots pick is 31st and they have no chance of finding a Mike Wallace in this year's draft where the first round talent grades actually stop around the early 20's (this being a very weak draft year).

It's almost a no brainer for the Patriots. But what if say the Philadelphia Eagles who might not want to franchise Desean Jackson offer up their 15th overall pick for Wallace?

1st round Draft could look something like this for the Steelers.

15th pick OG David Decastro
24th pick ILB's Burflect, or Hightower, NT Poe, WR Mohamed Sanu or even OG Glenn

or with the patriot's pick:

24th and 31st could snag 2 of these guys
ILB's Burflect, or Hightower, NT Poe, WR Mohamed Sanuor or even OG Glenn as well.

A tall receiver in the 2nd or 3rd could be
Rueben Randle, Dwight Jones, or Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa my personal favorite and I think the Steelers should look at even with Mike Wallace on the roster.

It's Unlikely be get a top 20 out of Wallace but it is very likely the Patriots would give up a 31st pick for him.

nice post but wont happen... the Steelers will do what they need to clear cap room.. there is no way to function at all if they cant afford to pay a number one receiver... after all the cuts we make and redoing of contracts there will be enough money to sign rookies and take care of wallace... I bet you anything you got we slap the franchise tag on him before we lose him... whoelse do we need the tag for this year...??? then we will sign him long term and free that cap money back up... Wallace being gone is not a concern mark it down

Darkstorm05
02-08-2012, 03:50 PM
For the conspiracy fans out there who think Rooney is pulling some shadow government NWO NFL power plays, suppose they let Wallace roll to Indy to go with Luck and remind Ben that the deep ball at all costs nonsense went out the door with his fishing buddy?

btaylor179
02-08-2012, 04:28 PM
hate to see him leave....he is fast but when your qb cant connect w him but once in a while its a waste.....AND WE HAVE NO O LINE!!!!!

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 04:35 PM
hate to see him leave....he is fast but when your qb cant connect w him but once in a while its a waste.....AND WE HAVE NO O LINE!!!!!

He's in all likelihood not going anywhere, this is just discussion. Rooney said he's his first priority.

pete74
02-08-2012, 06:59 PM
if we can afford him then we will sign him before the season but if he wants top 3 money then i say we tender him and let another team have him and gain a 1st rounder. he is awesome but he isnt a Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson or Megatron. i really want to keep him but if we cant then i hope we get something better for him then we did Holmes

60_MINUTES
02-08-2012, 07:37 PM
if we can afford him then we will sign him before the season but if he wants top 3 money then i say we tender him and let another team have him and gain a 1st rounder. he is awesome but he isnt a Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson or Megatron. i really want to keep him but if we cant then i hope we get something better for him then we did Holmes

we gonna keep him I actually think they will franchise him if then have to but I expect to sign him without much trouble.. I will say this in response to your post... I'll will agree he is no Fitzgerald... but Im not sure how great he can be... He had a complete idiot trying to be an O coord... If used correctly ( like crossing routes that he can take 80 yards like Jerry rice made a habit out of ) he could be un real... We always just try to throw him a 70 yard bomb.... knowing the Safety is gonna be there everytime but thats BA's bullshit.. Lets see what a real O coord can do with this talent..

I will agree though about Fitzgerald... He is just in the wrong place.. but I think Larry could have been the best we ever saw play the game if he would have been in a place like Rice played his hole life...He has skills like I never seen before with Speed Height Power and attitude... I think he is a bigger more powerful version of Randy Moss with a better attitude problem is he has retards throwing the ball to him and retards trying to win games out there

Fire Arians
02-08-2012, 08:10 PM
you are right! THIS is what pisses me off about the steelers,they stay with the picks the are given and that is it.We do not attempt these things and when we really want to trade up other teams jack up their asking price because we have not built relationships with other teams

we do if it's worth it. we did trade up for polamalu.

what we're doing is a lot smarter than some other teams who trade too much to move up

MasterOfPuppets
02-08-2012, 10:41 PM
if somebody wants to snatch wallace away for a 1st and 3rd i'm all for it. especially if he's gonna be lookin for a 50+ million contract. (holmes money) . if they back the money truck up to him, then what happens to brown and sanders when its their turn to get paid ? :noidea: can't throw big money at all of em.
i like wallace , but i don't like how he disappears for some games. i think brown brings more to the table at this point.

kan_t
02-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Holmes got traded because of his off-field issue. I don't see the Steelers trading their No.1 reciever again, especially after Rooney said he's his first priority. And for people who think Wallace and Ben don't connect, it's hard for Ben to throw an accurate bomb to Wallace when he was playing with one leg only. When Ben is healthy, they connect pretty well.

Darkstorm05
02-09-2012, 08:45 AM
I don't see the Steelers trading their No.1 reciever again

This is true...except that our #1 producing WR was actually Brown.

MDSteel15
02-09-2012, 08:46 AM
First off, Ben needs to restructure his monster contract! Then you tell M17 to take a 3 year $8million contract and tell him if he continues on this track he'll get an even bigger contract! :noidea: He knows he is the best DEEP threat in the NFL but he also knows he needs to improve his shorter route running to get where he wants to be!!! :hatsoff:

MDSteel15
02-09-2012, 08:47 AM
This is true...except that our #1 producing WR was actually Brown.

When Ben is reading the routes the first place he looks is Wallace! That makes him the #1 WR...

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 08:51 AM
When Ben is reading the routes the first place he looks is Wallace! That makes him the #1 WR...

You are right, he's the first read. However, I agree that Brown's our true #1 receiver. He's an all around receiver who can make plays anywhere. Wallace is a deep-threat, and a scary one to cover.

Darkstorm05
02-09-2012, 08:56 AM
You are right, he's the first read. However, I agree that Brown's our true #1 receiver. He's an all around receiver who can make plays anywhere. Wallace is a deep-threat, and a scary one to cover.

Truth. And unless Haley throws a curve ball, I'm betting we no longer see every other play being an attempted 30 yard bomb to Wallace this coming year. Brown is the real deal, a multi-dimensional offensive weapon. He makes the clutch short and mid range catches, he can pick up some hard fought yards, and is a good return man, too.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 09:07 AM
I'm liking Sanders as well. He made some catches in the Bronco's game if i'm not mistaken. He's a lot like Brown.

MDSteel15
02-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Got this about restricted free agent:

Mike Wallace (PIT) - Restricted - No receiver in the league forces safeties back like Wallace. His deep speed is second to none on the perimeter and he capitalizes on it with the ability to run those vertical routes proficiently. He's improving in other areas of his game and is an extremely valuable piece to the Steelers' offense. Keep in mind the highest Restricted tender would only net the Steelers a first round pick, which Wallace is certainly worth.

There will be no 1st and 3rd or any other pick! It's only a 1st.... In my opinion, there is no pick in the draft woth it!

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Got this about restricted free agent:

Mike Wallace (PIT) - Restricted - No receiver in the league forces safeties back like Wallace. His deep speed is second to none on the perimeter and he capitalizes on it with the ability to run those vertical routes proficiently. He's improving in other areas of his game and is an extremely valuable piece to the Steelers' offense. Keep in mind the highest Restricted tender would only net the Steelers a first round pick, which Wallace is certainly worth.

There will be no 1st and 3rd or any other pick! It's only a 1st.... In my opinion, there is no pick in the draft woth it!

I wouldn't do it, but he's worth a first round pick, no lower than top 15 however. I don't think it matters, we'll get a deal done.

MDSteel15
02-09-2012, 01:02 PM
And with that 1st round pick, who are you taking? And who you brining in to take MWs spot?

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 01:11 PM
And with that 1st round pick, who are you taking? And who you brining in to take MWs spot?

Promote Sanders, draft lineman with the first round picks to keep Roethlisberger alive. Maybe draft a wide-receiver later on, but I don't think it'll matter, Wallace likely isn't going anywhere. He sure as hell better put in the work if he comes back next year, he gave up on a lot of plays in the second half last year. I'm assuming Bruce Arians may have played a part in that.

Darkstorm05
02-09-2012, 01:13 PM

It depends on how high the 1st is. Might be trade bait to get a nice package sent our way, which we could really use. As for who is taking his place...Brown already answered that question for us.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 01:31 PM
It depends on how high the 1st is. Might be trade bait to get a nice package sent our way, which we could really use. As for who is taking his place...Brown already answered that question for us.

This.

MDSteel15
02-09-2012, 01:35 PM

Wrong! Antonio Brown is taking Hines spot... He is not a deep threat! He has all that open space underneath that Wallace creates by taking both the CB and safties deep. The key word there is BOTH because as soon as he takes of they all follow him...

Darkstorm05
02-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Wrong! Antonio Brown is taking Hines spot... He is not a deep threat! He has all that open space underneath that Wallace creates by taking both the CB and safties deep. The key word there is BOTH because as soon as he takes of they all follow him...

In 2010 and very early 2011 this may have been true, but in fact it flip flopped. From the NE game onwards, Brown caught more long yardage passes than Wallace did, by quite a margin. In fact, from NE onward(Which is more than half of the 2011 season, BTW), Wallace went for 30+ yard receptions only twice, vs 5 for Brown in the same timeframe. Further, Wallace put up some single digit distant longest reception games, which Brown never did.

In fact, brown never had a game where he didn't go for at least 15+ yards on one reception. He was averaging 20-45ish for his longest each game.

They ended the season with average yards per reception of 16.1 and 16.6. So, no facts that I can see to claim Brown can't long...or that he hasn't already surpassed Wallace. If we do go to more play action and short passes to get the ball out quickly, as we saw when we whooped up on NE, Brown will really eclipse Wallace if they're both here and healthy next season.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 01:52 PM

Because everything you say is right, no?

Brown can be a deep-threat, he's burnt the secondary before. I do agree that the attention that Mike Wallace get's contributes to Brown's success, but I don't agree that Browns here to take over for Hines. Brown's here to take over for Holmes, Cotchery's here to take over for Hines and Mike Wallace is here to take over for Nate Washington.

MDSteel15
02-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Guys, you're missing the point! Most of Brown's LONG catches were 10-15 yarders that he turned into 30-40-50 and so on, because of his quickness and ability to elude the tackler! It doesn't matter that he caught more balls! He caught more because Wallace was getting double and triple teamed which left him 1-on-1 or wide open!! It's the same as our LBs getting double teamed on pass rushes and then somebody else gets there because they are open to the QB! I love all our WRs but Antonio is not a deep threat consistatly on every play... He is a threat to break off a huge run after a catch though!

MDSteel15
02-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Because everything you say is right, no?

Brown can be a deep-threat, he's burnt the secondary before. I do agree that the attention that Mike Wallace get's contributes to Brown's success, but I don't agree that Browns here to take over for Hines. Brown's here to take over for Holmes, Cotchery's here to take over for Hines and Mike Wallace is here to take over for Nate Washington.

C'mon! They're not even comparable! Nate is another shoulda-coulda-woulda Troy Edwards type.... Lots of expectations from small school talent and no results! And Cotch is here to be a #4, not take Hines role that Brown took! He's taking Hines' role from this season but not Hines that was our #1 when young and healthy. In the beginning you had Hines and Plax... Hines ran short, thru the middle routes that he made into something. That's what Brown does but does it just a heck of a lot faster than Ward did! Then Santo came and we spread to 3 WRs and things started to change....

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 02:33 PM
C'mon! They're not even comparable! Nate is another shoulda-coulda-woulda Troy Edwards type.... Lots of expectations from small school talen and no results! And Cortch is here to be a #4, not take Hines role that Brown took! He's taking Hines' role from this season but not Hines that was our #1 when young and healthy. In the beginning you had Hines and Plax... Hines ran short, thru the middle routes that he made into something. That's what Brown does but does it just a heck of a lot faster than Ward did! Then Santo came and we spread to 3 WRs and things started to change....

Nate Washington sure is performing well for a shoulda-coulda-woulda player.

74 catches for 1,023 yards and 7 touchdown's. That's just barely below Mike Wallace in every statistic! Certainly not bad considering Wallace said he'd catch 2,000 yard's worth of catches this year (never been done).

Hines ran the over the middle routes, and Santonio fed off of him, running just a bit further. Nate Washington was our deep-threat at the time.

Regardless, this team won't be nearly as good in the receiving game without Wallace. That's obvious. But i'm not impressed with his mouth, attitude or his ego, all of which have been troubles with him since gaining recognition as a big play receiver. He's a great WR, and i'd hate to lose him. I never said I wanted him gone, i'm just imagining the scenario if he does indeed leave town for a first round pick.

Darkstorm05
02-09-2012, 02:41 PM
But i'm not impressed with his mouth, attitude or his ego, all of which have been troubles with him since gaining recognition as a big play receiver. He's a great WR, and i'd hate to lose him. I never said I wanted him gone, i'm just imagining the scenario if he does indeed leave town for a first round pick.

^^ This. Not to mention, the "He opens the game for the other WR's" argument works both ways. If Brown doesn't need watched closely, doubling up on Wallace deep isn't such a big gamble. And really, any team can add help deep to try and contain your fast guy, but where do you position your CB or safety to guarantee you don't get burned by a smart player that can make tough catches on any part of the field?

IMO, being a deep threat doesn't automatically make you a #1 WR. The guy who keeps eating up short routes and moving the chains is the one who buys us the chances to look for the deep ball, and that makes Brown #1, IMO.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 02:56 PM
^^ This. Not to mention, the "He opens the game for the other WR's" argument works both ways. If Brown doesn't need watched closely, doubling up on Wallace deep isn't such a big gamble. And really, any team can add help deep to try and contain your fast guy, but where do you position your CB or safety to guarantee you don't get burned by a smart player that can make tough catches on any part of the field?

IMO, being a deep threat doesn't automatically make you a #1 WR. The guy who keeps eating up short routes and moving the chains is the one who buys us the chances to look for the deep ball, and that makes Brown #1, IMO.

Yet no rep point's? :hunch: :chuckle:

Yeah, Just because your the deep threat doesn't make you the #1 guy. I've seen Brown convert enough crucial third down's and pull in some great catches (sometime's badly thrown) to know who's the real #1 guy. He's the team MVP. That being said, i'd still kill to have Wallace either way just because of his ability to catch the deep ball, even of he did drop a crucial first down deep pass in the playoffs.

Darkstorm05
02-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Yet no rep point's?

Haha...didn't even notice those buttons. Fixt!

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Haha...didn't even notice those buttons. Fixt!

Just a weapon us egotistical morons sport like a Rolex :rofl:

MDSteel15
02-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Nate Washington sure is performing well for a shoulda-coulda-woulda player.

74 catches for 1,023 yards and 7 touchdown's. That's just barely below Mike Wallace in every statistic! Certainly not bad considering Wallace said he'd catch 2,000 yard's worth of catches this year (never been done).

Hines ran the over the middle routes, and Santonio fed off of him, running just a bit further. Nate Washington was our deep-threat at the time.

Regardless, this team won't be nearly as good in the receiving game without Wallace. That's obvious. But i'm not impressed with his mouth, attitude or his ego, all of which have been troubles with him since gaining recognition as a big play receiver. He's a great WR, and i'd hate to lose him. I never said I wanted him gone, i'm just imagining the scenario if he does indeed leave town for a first round pick.

And how well did that work out? He was OK... He was not worth the sweat on Wallace's brow...

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 04:27 PM
And how well did that work out? He was OK... He was not worth the sweat on Wallace's brow...

Wallace may be a deep-threat, but that doesn't make a receiver. Him getting deep has been the basis of your entire argument. The point is, regardless of who's the better deep threat, Nate Washington, a receiver who, in your own word's: "doesn't even compare" damn near outplayed him this season.

You can say that he free's up Brown with the attention on him, but that's the same with any receiver. The fact of the matter is: He's one dimensional right now. But during the course of an off season, you'd be surprised how much one player can improve, and that's why I want him back next year. But #1 receiver? Maybe. I'd say it's up in the air.

I like Wallace, and i agree we need to get him back. But I don't disagree with trading him, because it's a possibility right now. Hell, some people think it's a likelihood...

My vote: Sign Wallace to a short-term deal. If he denies, tender him.

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Holmes got traded because of his off-field issue. I don't see the Steelers trading their No.1 reciever again, especially after Rooney said he's his first priority. And for people who think Wallace and Ben don't connect, it's hard for Ben to throw an accurate bomb to Wallace when he was playing with one leg only. When Ben is healthy, they connect pretty well.
wallace started disappearing weeks before bens injury. about the same time brown started coming on strong.

PhantomJB93
02-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Personally I don't want to see Wallace go, especially with Haley coming in which could really take him to that next level. But the prospect of getting both DeCastro and Burfict/Poe (If Wallace went to the Eagles) is VERY appealing.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Personally I don't want to see Wallace go, especially with Haley coming in which could really take him to that next level. But the prospect of getting both DeCastro and Burfict/Poe (If Wallace went to the Eagles) is VERY appealing.

Exactly. That's all i've been trying to point out, but godforbid, ya know, lol.

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2012, 05:59 PM
crap. i didn't know they changed the RFA rules. :doh:

Despite being a restricted free agent, Mike Wallace is nowhere near guaranteed to return to Pittsburgh as a Steelers (http://bleacherreport.com/pittsburgh-steelers) player next year. One alteration to free agency made by the relatively new Collective Bargaining Agreement is that teams can no longer put first- and third-round protections on their restricted free agents.
In the past, restricted free agency rarely ever allowed players to leave their original teams. The last big name to move as a restricted free agency was Wes Welker and even then the Miami Dolphins (http://bleacherreport.com/miami-dolphins) and Patriots agreed to a trade rather than go through the bidding process. Therefore he essentially didn't move as a restricted free agent.
The Dolphins undervalued Welker at the time as he hadn't played to the level that he has exhibited in New England since then. Mike Wallace in Pittsburgh is a completely different situation.
On first glance, it is more likely for Bill Belichick to start a reality TV series with Chad Ochocinco opposed to the team signing Wallace. However, when you dig deeper into the potential deal, it wouldn't be a surprise for Wallace to become the best deep threat in Boston since Randy Moss.
The Steelers at best can put a first-round tender on Wallace, which is what you would expect them to do. They do have the franchise tag available; however, their lack of cap space will prevent them from using it. With indications being that the Steelers are expected to be upwards of $20 million over the salary cap next season, it's unrealistic to expect them to work in a commitment of around $10 million for Wallace.
If the Patriots do decide to compete with the Steelers for Wallace's signature, they could easily outbid the Steelers early on. A restricted free agent's original team has 10 days to match any offer sheets that come in. If the Patriots get an early offer in, it could make Omar Khan's, the Steelers' cap manager, job very difficult while trying to manage a roster that needs a lot of work.
With the compensation being a first round pick, the Patriots would only be giving up their 31st overall selection in the 2012 draft for arguably an elite wide receiver. Considering that late round picks are no guarantees, and the team has an earlier first-round draft choice after last year's trade with the New Orleans Saints (http://bleacherreport.com/new-orleans-saints), losing that pick isn't a big deal.
More importantly than Wallace being considered an elite receiver, his skill set is perfect for the Patriots' offense.
Building an offense is never as simple as getting the best talent and putting it together to overwhelm other teams. In 2007, Tom Brady's best season, the Patriots' receiving corp perfectly complemented each other with Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth stretching the field for Wes Welker to move the chains.
Without a deep threat, it is easier for teams to shorten the field and flood Welker out of the equation. When safeties don't have to respect a deep threat, throwing windows become tighter and defenders are more likely to pick off passes.
If Wallace becomes a Patriots player, defenses will have to respect his deep threat or allow him to hit home runs on a regular basis. Wallace is one of the fastest—if not the fastest—players in the NFL (http://bleacherreport.com/nfl). Simply dropping a cornerback to play off coverage is never enough to contain him.
Some cornerbacks drop upwards of 12 yards deep and even then they generally get safety help over the top. Considering that Wallace can use his speed with the ball in his hands, that gives the Patriots the option of quick passes into the flat that can turn into massive gains.
Or, if they choose to still send Wallace deep, then the best slot receiver in the NFL gets even more space to work underneath the defense.
With Wallace on the outside, the Patriots' matchup offense would become uncontainable. The quartet of Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Welker and Wallace would ask too many different questions of defenses and require them to be consistent in all facets of play.
The Steelers' cap issues aren't the only thing working in the Patriots favor.
Outside of Wallace in Pittsburgh, the Steelers have a trio of talented receivers under contract entering next season, as well as Jerricho Cotchery hitting free agency. Veteran Hines Ward is looking to redo his contract and he will almost certainly return. Emmanuel Sanders is returning from injuries to both his feet that reduced his role this year. The Steelers have enough players with Antonio Brown to cover the loss of their main receiver.
The free agent pool of receivers this year for third and fourth choice options represents a lot of value as far as possession pass-catchers go. While the Patriots do need an elite receiver, the Steelers could still have a very talented group of receivers for Todd Haley without Wallace, and instead add someone like Eddie Royal or Cotchery for cheaper.
This would work against the Steelers when trying to retain Wallace because they wouldn't value him as highly as the Patriots would.
Wes Welker is very unlikely to leave the Patriots because he doesn't fit as well in any other offense in the NFL. Once he is signed, Mike Wallace is a legitimate option for the New England Patriots to pursue.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1055220-new-england-patriots-pittsburgh-steelers-mike-wallace-is-a-realistic-target

jollyrob68
02-11-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm all for someone giving up a 1st rounder for Wallace. However I'd also want a top 20 pick but they'd get a late pick from San Fran,New England or Giants. I wouldn't be Surprised if Cincy went after him as they have two first rounders.
My question to everyone is, IF New England called and said they were going to sign him but wanted to do a sign & trade.Would you pick there #31st pick or they offered two 2nd rounders 48 &63 what would you take?
Looking at our cap situation I think I'd take the two second rounders. We'd have three(3) in the 2nd round and we could reload with OL,DL,ILB & Isaiah Peads or 2 OL,ILB,SS. It allows us to take the BPA in round 1 and reload in rb 2.