PDA

View Full Version : Willie Colonís cap number makes it hard to cut him

pete74
02-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Steelers offensive tackle Willie Colon who has only played one game in the last two seasons is on my list of guys who should be gone this offseason. After looking at all the cap numbers and potential cost savings to the Steelers by players who could be released it looks like we will be stuck with Colon for another season at least. He basically canít be cut. So the Steelers are going to have to look for cost savings somewhere else. Someone who we might need could lose their job because Colon has to stay.

Colon is due $5.7 million this season. If the Steelers were to release Colon they would only save $900k of that $5.7 million in cap money. It is not worth it in any way shape or form for Colon to not be on this team next year.

It bothers me that this is happening. Colon should have never been signed in the first place. We had already drafted Marcus Gilbert in the second round of the 2011 NFL Draft. Now Gilbert who had a good season at right tackle which is where he belongs has to move to left tackle. That is because Colon has to play right tackle. He can not go to the left side. So we had a good right tackle who now is pushed to the left side because Colon basically can not be cut.

How many times do we have to do this before we get the hint. The Chicago Bears were ready to sign Colon and we made him an offer. This is the same thing that happened with Kemo a few years back. He had a deal with the Jets and we jumped in and over paid him. Now we have a guy who can barely walk and is a penalty machine. He was a penalty machine when we paid him though too. Let people take our garbage instead of getting in bad salary cap situations by overpaying unproductive linemen. Draft someone new. Those guys are cheaper and at least they have a chance to improve.

Colon had potential when he came out of college. He was talked about as being a steal as a guard. The Steelers have refused to move him inside or even attempt to do it. They kept him at right tackle where he struggled with speed rushers. Then when he came back this season in his one game back he lost the strong push he used to get in the run game. He now has not played in 2 years and both of his injuries will affect his strength in blocking. Which will only make him struggle more.

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 06:42 PM
If he manages to stay healthy, he may be of value next year. He's done well when in there :noidea:

BKAnthem
02-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Doesn't Colbert ultimately makes these calls? This is one of the reasons i'm not a big fan of his...

steelerchad
02-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Steelers offensive tackle Willie Colon who has only played one game in the last two seasons is on my list of guys who should be gone this offseason. After looking at all the cap numbers and potential cost savings to the Steelers by players who could be released it looks like we will be stuck with Colon for another season at least. He basically canít be cut. So the Steelers are going to have to look for cost savings somewhere else. Someone who we might need could lose their job because Colon has to stay.

Colon is due $5.7 million this season. If the Steelers were to release Colon they would only save $900k of that $5.7 million in cap money. It is not worth it in any way shape or form for Colon to not be on this team next year.

It bothers me that this is happening. Colon should have never been signed in the first place. We had already drafted Marcus Gilbert in the second round of the 2011 NFL Draft. Now Gilbert who had a good season at right tackle which is where he belongs has to move to left tackle. That is because Colon has to play right tackle. He can not go to the left side. So we had a good right tackle who now is pushed to the left side because Colon basically can not be cut.

How many times do we have to do this before we get the hint. The Chicago Bears were ready to sign Colon and we made him an offer. This is the same thing that happened with Kemo a few years back. He had a deal with the Jets and we jumped in and over paid him. Now we have a guy who can barely walk and is a penalty machine. He was a penalty machine when we paid him though too. Let people take our garbage instead of getting in bad salary cap situations by overpaying unproductive linemen. Draft someone new. Those guys are cheaper and at least they have a chance to improve.

Colon had potential when he came out of college. He was talked about as being a steal as a guard. The Steelers have refused to move him inside or even attempt to do it. They kept him at right tackle where he struggled with speed rushers. Then when he came back this season in his one game back he lost the strong push he used to get in the run game. He now has not played in 2 years and both of his injuries will affect his strength in blocking. Which will only make him struggle more.

I'd like to see them keep Gilbert at RT Tackle as he is the future there. Move Colon over one spot to his old position at RG.
Is Starks done with that injury? We cut him before last season, but I thought he played pretty well this year. He seems to hold down his side pretty well and doesn't get a lot of help from Kemo. He also usually holds Suggs in check, which is important as we play them twice.

The spot we need to fill is LG. Kemo is terrible now.

FrancoLambert
02-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Besides Pouncey, our offensive line is a bunch of "back-ups" at best.
Gilbert got's a shot, but Foster, Essex, Legursky, Kemo, Scott......give me a break!

BKAnthem
02-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Gilbert got's a shot, but Foster, Essex, Legursky, Kemo, Scott......give me a break!

THIS...And i'm not impressed with Gilberts attitude...unprepared in preseason lands him in the doghouse...then gets benched during the season for the same shit...

finesward
02-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Doesn't Colbert ultimately makes these calls? This is one of the reasons i'm not a big fan of his...

Yes and he ultimately is the one responsible for the other 51 people on the team, soooo take the bad with the good when it comes to personnel moves...hindsight is 50/50

Having NOONE behind them for so long is what handcuffed us into signing kemo and colon. It's not like we didn't try drafting guys later on and bringing them in off the PS. They never got better or showed they had it. The 08 draft is the lone stinker on his resume. Passing on Ray Rice TWICE! As much as I hate the little rat **** I sure wish we had a guy with his talents running the ball.

finesward
02-08-2012, 07:54 PM
It seems pretty simple to me, you keep Starks at LT another year or two if he can stay healthy, bump Colon to RG which shouldn't be that hard for him to do, and he might just be better off since he won't be as strong as before his injuries, and draft someone..ANYONE who is an upgrade to KEMO. Which shouldn't be hard to do at all. Someone that is big and athletic enough to pull. They truly are one piece away from being a half way decent line. I know some don't agree, but look at the difference Max Starks made when he stepped in. Eliminate the weakest link (kemo) and you will see a big difference next year. And the good thing with the rest of our line is they have TONS of game experience now playing just about every position out there, so there shouldn't be any major drop off if one comes in for spot duty.

steelerchad
02-08-2012, 08:17 PM
It seems pretty simple to me, you keep Starks at LT another year or two if he can stay healthy, bump Colon to RG which shouldn't be that hard for him to do, and he might just be better off since he won't be as strong as before his injuries, and draft someone..ANYONE who is an upgrade to KEMO. Which shouldn't be hard to do at all. Someone that is big and athletic enough to pull. They truly are one piece away from being a half way decent line. I know some don't agree, but look at the difference Max Starks made when he stepped in. Eliminate the weakest link (kemo) and you will see a big difference next year. And the good thing with the rest of our line is they have TONS of game experience now playing just about every position out there, so there shouldn't be any major drop off if one comes in for spot duty.

agreed. And at that point, I like a guy like Legursky on the bench because he can backup Guard and Center in a pinch. I don't know much about next years draft, but I think we're drafting around #21. At that spot you can usually get the #1 or #2 guard in the draft.

BKAnthem
02-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Yes and he ultimately is the one responsible for the other 51 people on the team, soooo take the bad with the good when it comes to personnel moves...hindsight is 50/50

Having NOONE behind them for so long is what handcuffed us into signing kemo and colon. It's not like we didn't try drafting guys later on and bringing them in off the PS. They never got better or showed they had it. The 08 draft is the lone stinker on his resume. Passing on Ray Rice TWICE! As much as I hate the little rat **** I sure wish we had a guy with his talents running the ball.

exactly which is what Colbert should have been watching...you always need a good OLine ALWAYS, that's what the Steelers are known for..he should know better

Fire Arians
02-08-2012, 08:37 PM

is starks going to even be ready to play next season? torn ACL is a huge injury to come back from, especially for a big man, and as late in the season as it was when it happened.

i would say starks' return next year is unlikely. we will probably start off the season with gilbert and colon as our starting tackles, barring some stud OT slip to us in the draft, which I think won't happen, besides we have bigger needs at the guard positions imo. best case scenario would be starks coming back, gilbert at RT and move colon to RG which he's better at, but I just don't think max will be back.

Edman
02-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Colon was a waste of money to be honest. Two full missed seasons in a row, and wasn't that good when he was in there already. Good for at least a False Start per game.

60_MINUTES
02-08-2012, 08:57 PM

Not with the Steelers... they have come out many times predraft and talk about how they do the process.. with the Rooneys and the Steelers its a team thing from everyone in the Front office to the scouts to the coaches and of course the GM colbert... Now Colbert has alot to do with it thats for sure but again its everyone that looks at it... I also think we do a good job with doing what our Headcoach wants.. you can see a major difference in the type players Cowher wanted and the Type Tomlin wants... So to me thats the wonderful thing Colbert does by getting along with his coach and the style his coach wants to play

tanda10506
02-09-2012, 12:26 AM
They gave him too much money in the first place. Gilbert will we work out at RT and Starks played solid LT. If Colon can play guard and stay healthy then all we really need is a good guard and we will have a pretty decent O line. Legursky, Foster, and Essex are decent backups, as a whole we would be ok with the O line.

Millers the sh!t
02-09-2012, 02:57 AM

I like legursky

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2012, 08:09 AM
is starks going to even be ready to play next season? torn ACL is a huge injury to come back from, especially for a big man, and as late in the season as it was when it happened.

i would say starks' return next year is unlikely. we will probably start off the season with gilbert and colon as our starting tackles, barring some stud OT slip to us in the draft, which I think won't happen, besides we have bigger needs at the guard positions imo. best case scenario would be starks coming back, gilbert at RT and move colon to RG which he's better at, but I just don't think max will be back.

This is exactly what I am thinking will happen.

The prospects of having (hopefully healthy) Gilbert and Colon at OT's, with Pouncey in the middle.......is actually the startings of a pretty decent O line. Add a solid rookie OG to play with Foster and its an improvement over last year.

Then add vets like Marcus McNeil, Jon Scott, Legursky, and another rook like Mitchell Schwartz and things are gonna be OK>

pittpete
02-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Im not that high on Colon and never was, but if theres a silver lining, he saved 2 years of wear and tear on his body.
Never know

lloydwoodson
02-17-2012, 02:42 AM
I like Willie Colon. I feel he is a very solid player. If he can stay healthy he will be an asset to the line. I think the dislike of Kemoeatu is over the top. For a man his size he moves well penalties be damned. LT Starks LG Kemoeatu C Pouncey RG Colon RT Gilbert is a very good offensive line. I think that line would be excellent if it could stay healthy and would go so far as to say it would be one of the better lines in the league. The problem is how injury prone that line is and that depth is of immediate need. Keep in mind that next year Ben won't be waiting to throw the ball thirty yards downfield on every play.

ricardisimo
02-17-2012, 03:58 AM
Colon was a waste of money to be honest. Two full missed seasons in a row, and wasn't that good when he was in there already. Good for at least a False Start per game.
Wrong. Not sure where you're getting that, but Colon is very good when he plays, which is why he's not going anywhere, especially with our perennial line troubles.

Bayz101
02-17-2012, 04:18 AM
Wrong. Not sure where you're getting that, but Colon is very good when he plays, which is why he's not going anywhere, especially with our perennial line troubles.

Agree. Not sure why everyone's so pissy about Colon, he's arguably one of our better lineman. He's had the injury-bug, but who hasn't with this line?

LVSteelersfan
02-17-2012, 02:23 PM
A lot of the injuries to the Oline can be placed directly on Arians and Ben. Holding the ball so long causes the blocking schemes to break down which causes linemen to get blindsided from behind by their own players which has led to a lot of ankle sprains and torn up knees. If Ben got that ball out of there quicker the linemen don't get put in the position they are in so much. Both of Pouncey's bad ankle sprains were caused by one of his own players rolling up on him.

Fire Arians
02-17-2012, 02:57 PM
insert 'colon' joke here

Fire Arians
02-17-2012, 03:00 PM
i can deal with a false start here and there. what i won't deal with is 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalties, those are inexcusable. yes i'm talking about you, kemo

LVSteelersfan
02-17-2012, 07:27 PM
I thought Kemo would mature a little bit by now. Obviously not. He could be such a good player if he wasn't such a knot head. He has the frame to be a mauler. It is hard for me to believe he gets pushed back off the line with ease as much as he does. So I guess it would be best if we parted ways with him. But not with Legursky as the starter. He is a good backup but not big enough to be a full time guard. And Foster is a joke. Please tell me he will be gone this season. He is a waste of space on the blind side tackle position. Starks is much better if he can recover from his injury.

kan_t
02-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Colon is a solid starter when he's healthy. The problem is that he never stays healthy.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Wow so Arians gets blamed for Oline injuries? Are you serious? Ben has 1 second, literallly 1 second to get rid of the ball before 3 people are bretahing down his neck.

So when you say Pouncey gets injured twice by some D F stepping back on him right after the snap. Thats not Ben's fault?lol But Colon being injured on the buffet line is? Legursky trying to jummp up in his kitchen to reach the top shelf is Bens fault?

No way is this Bens fault or BA.

Colon is lucky is cap hit doesnt air us, so even if he road the pine he is serviceable.

LVSteelersfan
02-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Wow so Arians gets blamed for Oline injuries? Are you serious? Ben has 1 second, literallly 1 second to get rid of the ball before 3 people are bretahing down his neck.

So when you say Pouncey gets injured twice by some D F stepping back on him right after the snap. Thats not Ben's fault?lol But Colon being injured on the buffet line is? Legursky trying to jummp up in his kitchen to reach the top shelf is Bens fault?

No way is this Bens fault or BA.

Colon is lucky is cap hit doesnt air us, so even if he road the pine he is serviceable.

Just joining the Blame Ben and Arians crowd. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Sorry, no sarcasm smiley available.

Wish the draft, training camp and regular season would get here so we have something real to talk about.