PDA

View Full Version : LaMarr Woodley restructures contract and saves Steelers $6.56 Million in cap space

pete74
02-08-2012, 06:39 PM
It has begun. The first Steelers restructure announcement from Rotoworld.com that LaMarr Woodley has restructured his deal to save the Steelers some cap space. Woodley took his base salary down to $700,000. That takes the remaining $2.7 Million in base salary and his $5.5 million dollar roster bonus into a prorated signing bonus. Woodley is the first that we know of for the Steelers to restructure his deal. He took an even smaller base then I had expected. I expect Ben Roethlisberger and Lawrnece Timmons to do the same. Add that to the potential cuts and we should be well below the salary cap in no time.

Way to go Woodley. Way to be a team player and help this team get better. Restructuring is not a problem as these guys lose no money they just get it later in the deal. This helps the team out in a major way. It should put the team anywhere between $16 and $24 million over the cap depending on whose number you are using. A number they should easily be able to get down from

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 06:45 PM
That'll help a lot. Ben, Timmons and Ward will all likely reconstruct, and we should be below cap quickly. Thanks Woodley!

Rick5895
02-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Outstanding ! This is one of the reasons we always seem to compete for titles . Very unselfish players with character. The STEELER way once again proves its worth.

jjpro11
02-08-2012, 06:52 PM
That'll help a lot. Ben, Timmons and Ward will all likely reconstruct, and we should be below cap quickly. Thanks Woodley!

to be honest, Ward needs to take a cut, not a restructure. he's one of my all-time faves, but we just can't afford to pay that kind of salary for a 4th receiver now, or in the future.

Darkstorm05
02-08-2012, 06:58 PM
These are the biggest cap hits I found as far as current cap info goes...

$16,920,000 QB Roethlisberger, Ben ($4,040,000)
$11,500,000 LB Woodley, LaMarr (-$400,000)
$9,125,000 LB Timmons, Lawrence ($1,125,000)
$9,030,000 LB Harrison, James ($635,000)
$8,887,500 S Polamalu, Troy ($975,000)
$8,056,668 DT Hampton, Casey ($5,890,000)
$7,562,500 CB Taylor, Ike ($2,125,000)
$7,070,500 TE Miller, Heath (-$469,000)
$5,700,000 OL Colon, Willie ($900,000)
$5,261,666 OL Kemoeatu, Chris ($2,392,332)
$4,610,000 WR Ward, Hines ($3,390,000)

The 2nd number is what a cut would save us. IMO, Ben needs restructured big time. Ward and Hampton need cut and resigned at manageable contracts. Kemoeatu just needs cut.

Lady Steel
02-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Woodley restructuring is a testament to his loyalty and dedication to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Good job!

Bayz101
02-08-2012, 07:09 PM
to be honest, Ward needs to take a cut, not a restructure. he's one of my all-time faves, but we just can't afford to pay that kind of salary for a 4th receiver now, or in the future.

I meant to say cut :doh:

Yeah he definitely needs to make less than what he's bringing in now.

6RingsAndCounting
02-08-2012, 09:03 PM
I knew I liked Lamarr for a reason. Even if he's a Michigan man.

tanda10506
02-09-2012, 05:08 AM
Wow, getting rid of Hampton and Kemo will save a lot, and I wont miss Kemo at all. Ward needs to take vet minimum. Colon is not worth cutting and we cant lose anybody else on that list, but there are others that aren't on the list who will be taking huge cuts or just getting cut.

plenewken
02-09-2012, 05:42 AM
I like Woodley and I'm happy the Steelers could reduce their salary cap but what will push players to bust their chops on the field when they receive a check of $8.2M which includes 80% of their salary, 6 months before the season begins?

It's not against Woodley, it's a general question about salary vs signing bonus.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-09-2012, 07:11 AM
10mill savings, 2 non meaningful cuts.

LayingTheWoodley56
02-09-2012, 09:17 AM
All to rare to hear a player giving up some of his money for the benefit of the team, but that's the kind of guys we've always tried to bring in around here. Way to go 56.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 09:28 AM
All to rare to hear a player giving up some of his money for the benefit of the team, but that's the kind of guys we've always tried to bring in around here. Way to go 56.

Actually, he's not losing any money at all. He's changing his deal so that he either receives it later on in the contract, or in a signing bonus. Either way, all these players that restructure there deal's will still get the money. Players like Ward and Farrior may take a pay-cut, in which they'll lose money. Still a good deed regardless.

Darkstorm05
02-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Actually, he's not losing any money at all. He's changing his deal so that he either receives it later on in the contract, or in a bonus. Either way, all these plays that restructure there deal's will still get the money. Players like Ward and Farrior may take a pay-cut, in which they'll lose money. Still a good deed regardless.

Yea, it seems to be a popular conception that these guys are leaving money on the table. They most certainly are not. They're just getting paid in a way that massages the cap a little.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Yea, it seems to be a popular conception that these guys are leaving money on the table. They most certainly are not. They're just getting paid in a way that massages the cap a little.

Yep, it just screws us later on down the road, that's all :chuckle:

kan_t
02-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Actually, he's not losing any money at all. He's changing his deal so that he either receives it later on in the contract, or in a signing bonus. Either way, all these players that restructure there deal's will still get the money. Players like Ward and Farrior may take a pay-cut, in which they'll lose money. Still a good deed regardless.

The value of one dollar this year is not the same as 5 years later. So if players get paid the same amount of money but recieve it later, they probably lose some money due to inflation. But on another hand, it means they can also gain some money if they restructue the deal. It really depends on how they restructure it.

Pentheon
02-09-2012, 10:06 AM
makes me like woodley even more than i already did...shows that hes dedicated to this team and city

plenewken
02-09-2012, 10:36 AM
The value of one dollar this year is not the same as 5 years later. So if players get paid the same amount of money but recieve it later, they probably lose some money due to inflation. But on another hand, it means they can also gain some money if they restructue the deal. It really depends on how they restructure it.

The typical way of restructuring a contract is to pay more now, as a signing bonus, and less in salary down the road. The reason being a signing bonus can be amortized during the length of the contract whereas salaries hit the salary cap in the year they're paid.

Whoever believes that players leave money on the table when they restructure their contract should take algebra and accounting 101.

TRH
02-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Although i get frustrated with his "disapperances" for what seems like games at a time and i still am not convinced he's worth that huge, huge amount of money, one thing i like is that LaMarr just seems like a really good guy, a good egg.
I get his facebook and twitter comments, and they're all very positive....never anything that can be construed as "controversial" or egotistical such as others on the team have done.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Although i get frustrated with his "disapperances" for what seems like games at a time and i still am not convinced he's worth that huge, huge amount of money, one thing i like is that LaMarr just seems like a really good guy, a good egg.
I get his facebook and twitter comments, and they're all very positive....never anything that can be construed as "controversial" or egotistical such as others on the team have done.

He pulled a hammy, that's not easy to bounce back from. He was on fire before the hammy, and then cold as ice after. I think it's obvious what happened there :noidea:

stb_steeler
02-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Im anxious to see what kind of deal Hines is givin up..... I know he will have to allow some of his contract sliced but ya never know if others cuttin back he may not have to. :noidea:

Darkstorm05
02-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Im anxious to see what kind of deal Hines is givin up..... I know he will have to allow some of his contract sliced but ya never know if others cuttin back he may not have to. :noidea:

Given the numbers on paper, I wouldn't be surprised if Ward got cut and handed a new 1 or 2 year contract for just above league minimum.

steeltheone
02-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Yes, we need to keep this straight...Woodley did not give up one penny in this deal.......