PDA

View Full Version : unknown Steelers autograph.. help?

tdecell
02-08-2012, 09:19 PM
I've got a football with a bunch of Steelers autographs from around 1996-97, there is one signature/number I can't figure out or find on the rosters. Can anyone recognize this signature? The number appears to be #69, but maybe not... Thanks
Trey

Fire Arians
02-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Will Wolford I'm guessing?

6RingsAndCounting
02-08-2012, 09:53 PM
I looked at the rosters from those times and didn't find it.. If you got the autograph at Latrobe, it's probably a player who got cut, but i'll find my autographs and look at them and see if I have that one too.

StainlessStill
02-08-2012, 09:56 PM
For some reason "Mitch Lyons" sticks out to me. Not sure if I'm way off or on the mark, haha.

6RingsAndCounting
02-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Will Wolford I'm guessing?

Wolford wore 77

StainlessStill
02-08-2012, 10:23 PM
If in fact the number is indeed #69, here's the history of Steelers players who held that number:

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/1126/jerseyo.png

It looks like noone held it in the '96 or '97 season, so more than likely, like what someone said above, this person who signed was probably an undrafted player we brought in for a camp body in training camp before being one of players being cut.

tdecell
02-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks guys, I couldn't make it out. I'm not sure of the year the balls were signed, just guessing due to the names that are on them. One ball has coaching staff sigs and the other has players. Here's a list of the signatures on each ball.
Coaches:
Bill Cowher, Chan Gailey, Mike Mularkey, Dick LeBeau, Timothy Lewis, John Mitchell, Ron Zook, David Culley, Mike Archer and Dick Hoak.

Players:
Kordell Stewart, Donta Jones, Mark Bruener, Jerome Bettis, Fred McAfee, Jim Sweeney, Kirk Botkin, Chris Oldham, Josh Miller, Lee Flowers, Mike Tomczak, Steven Conley, Yancey Thigpen, Norm Johnson, Charles Johnson, Tim Lester, Rod Woodson, Bernard Dafney, Justin Strzelczyk and Dermontti Dawson.
I don't know where the balls came from, maybe a training camp, fund raiser or something. I found them in a garage sale and recognized Ron Zook's name. Being a Florida Gator fan, I bought them. I've had them for alot of years and have never really looked into the names on them till recently. That one signature is the only one I can't nail down.

tony hipchest
02-09-2012, 10:47 PM
sounds like your ball is from the year after sb 30. see if the sig looks like ariel solomon. (he coulda been cut in the 96 camp.)

Bayz101
02-13-2012, 02:12 AM
The only player to have that jersey during that time was the center, Solomon. It doesn't look to be his signature, so it's likely a Latrobe training camp number. Maybe a player used his college number? Try looking into the training camps and practice squads during that time and see if it matches a players college number.

Bayz101
02-13-2012, 02:16 AM
Actually, that may very well be Solomon's siggy:

http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/sports-products/ariel-solomon-steelers-signedauto-3x5-index-card.html

There's some similarities. What's your thoughts, Tony?

lipps83
02-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Wasn't there a Steelers player that was drafted at some point in the 90's that eventually wound up changing his name? I remember something like that happening, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the player.

I want to say Lonnie Paleli [sp?] but not sure if that is who it was.