PDA

View Full Version : Rams interested in Steelers exec as general manager

tony hipchest
02-08-2012, 08:57 PM
NOOO!!!!

The St. Louis Rams have requested permission to interview Steelers director of administration Omar Khan for their general manager job, sources told the Tribune-Review today.

Khan, the Steelers' salary cap manager and chief negotiator, is considered one of the top young executives in the NFL. A key behind-the-scenes figure with the Steelers, Khan was one of two finalists for the Seattle Seahawks' general manager job two years ago.

Khan, who has been with the Steelers since 2000, also has been linked as a possible general manager to join Bill Cowher if the former Steelers coach comes out of retirement.

Khan, 35, has built a reputation of having superior command of the salary cap, and he did some of his best work in 2011. Despite an abbreviated offseason because of the lockout, Khan signed linebackers LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons, strong safety Troy Polamalu, cornerback Ike Taylor and offensive tackle Willie Colon to long-term contracts while managing to get the Steelers under the salary cap of 120.375 million.

The Steelers had been close to $15 million over the cap when the lockout ended in late July.

Read more: Rams interested in Steelers exec as general manager - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_780708.html#ixzz1lqgcH7uc

not only did he work majic last season, he set up contracts perfectly, which has allowed him to tap into the "bank of lamaar woodley" to help get under the cap for this season.

all our big named players are signed and we have flexibility to push money into the future. the cap is gonna rise big time when all these new tv contracts kick in and we will be just fine.

i knew omar was young but i didnt realize he was only 35. that means he musta started the position at around 26 or so. pretty impressive.

Fire Arians
02-08-2012, 08:58 PM
shit.

wRnSnfiUI54

tanda10506
02-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Leave the Steelers for the Rams, I doubt it. If I were Rooney I would make sure the pay difference wasnt so huge that he leaves.

FrancoLambert
02-09-2012, 05:25 AM
shit.

wRnSnfiUI54

:applaudit::sofunny::toofunny::rofl::rofl:

plenewken
02-09-2012, 05:36 AM
NOOO!!!!

not only did he work majic last season, he set up contracts perfectly, which has allowed him to tap into the "bank of lamaar woodley" to help get under the cap for this season.

If by "tapping into the bank of Lamaar Woodley" you mean paying him an $8.2M signing bonus + $700K salary, instead of a $5.5M roster bonus + $2.7M salary, the Steelers can "tap" into mine any time. <g>

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Well, shit. Doubt it'll happen, but shit.

Deserei90
02-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Saw this on Mark Kaboly Twitter just a few minutes ago: @MarkKaboly_Trib #Steelers Omar Khan has still not received permission to interview with the Rams. So obviously, he won't be meeting with the Rams today.

Looks like Omar didn't get permission by the Steelers.

GMU Steeler
02-09-2012, 05:11 PM
I would think he'd just be a figurehead in STL anyhow right. Fisher I imagine like many big name HC's who get a second gig probably has a big FO role. Anyhow, Khan's an impressive guy. He got his current job with the team when he was only 24. Guy is smart and glad to have him.

tony hipchest
02-09-2012, 05:55 PM
if the rams want him, maybe they should trade a pick or two for him.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 06:03 PM
if the rams want him, maybe they should trade a pick or two for him.

No! We'll keep him! For vet minimum, of course.

tony hipchest
02-09-2012, 11:05 PM
steelers usually grant interviews to coaches and allow them to leave their contracts if they are leaving for a promotion. steelers dont prevent upward mobility (unlike the packers who recently barred their TE coach from interviewing for tampa bay's OC opening).

it could be FO execs are a different story. gruden was worth 2 1st rounders when the Bucs stole him from the raiders.

maybe a GM is worth something as well.

it is worthy to note that kahn is essentially half the GM in pittsburgh. sure colbert has the title, but that is really in name only and a title he has only held for a year or 2. up until recently he was the director of player personell.

if i had to guess, i'd say the steelers are currently negotiating a pay raise kind enough to make omar forget about that interview in STL. despite what has been said about the franchise, he'd be stepping into an excellent situation and opportunity.

Wallace108
02-10-2012, 01:21 AM
if i had to guess, i'd say the steelers are currently negotiating a pay raise kind enough to make omar forget about that interview in STL.

Great point. Sounds similar to what just happened with Butler. :noidea:

MACH1
02-11-2012, 03:15 PM
RT “@ScottBrown_Trib: After meeting with Art Rooney II Friday, Omar Khan decided against pursuing Rams GM job.”

Fire Arians
02-11-2012, 03:20 PM
No! We'll keep him! For vet minimum, of course.

maybe he can restructure his own contract too :chuckle:

ricardisimo
02-11-2012, 03:40 PM
It's moot for now. They hired the Falcons guy (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d826df075/article/after-long-search-rams-hire-snead-as-next-general-manager?module=HP11_breaking_news).

Bayz101
02-11-2012, 03:56 PM
maybe he can restructure his own contract too :chuckle:

No, he needs to lose 20 pounds to get his speed back :wink02::rofl: